Your Confidence Level in Manager John on the Eve of ALCS?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

Re: Your Confidence Level in Manager John on the Eve of ALCS?

In response to RedSoxFireman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being no confidence and 10 being 100% total confidence.

Mine is a 9, but my worry is the old sow's ear adage. 

[/QUOTE]

Tough issue... To me his ten in clubhouse, but  not more than five in dugout...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Well, once i found out that the success of the club this year was soley because of him, not inept mangagement or prima donna garbage heap roster, I would say a resounding 10.  97 wins and ALCS is amazing given the terrible roster flaws and inept management.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

When Francona had Brad Mills by his side he was much better...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I think the confidence in the manager thing is over done.  I do think his interaction with the players can help or hurt--see John Farrell vs. Bobby V--but by and large all managers have a plethora of data which normally gives them a much better basis for making moves than anything we can think of. 

What makes managers successful and unsuccessful are good and not so good players.  It's that simple.  Joe Torre was a loser until he got the Yankees job.  Grady Little was a loser after he had the Sox job.  Francona was a loser before he managed the Sox. 

I started a thread before game 5 saying Iglesias had to be benched and Leyland did just that, not because I had any great insight but because it was just so obvious. Iglesias wasn't hitting and Peralta was, plus nobody was hitting the ball to Iglesias.  In four ALDS games he had half as many fielding chances as Drew had. 

But lots of times the best move, which doesn't alway pan out, isn't obvious, so some fans then launch a thread declaring the manager doesn't know what he is doing.  You know, like redsoxfireman did after game 3 when Longoria hit the dinger.  Dumb, dumb, dumb the cry went forth.  Never pitch to Longoria when 2d base is open--great slugger, clutch hitter, etc.--except of course in the 7th inning with one man out, a man on second with the go ahead run in a tie game, and first base open.  Then it's OK, of course.  In fact it's obvious you pitch to him because in that particular instance Longoria popped out to 3B.  But I guarantee you another four of five threads would have sprung up if Longoria had singled to drive in the go ahead run.  What was Farrell thinking?  I guess he's lucky there was no hue and cry after he sent Uehara out to pitch the 9th and gave up the gamewinning dinger to Lobaton. 

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Farrell is doing fine.

But, much of that has to do with the players he has to work with executing when called on.

Case in point, if Craig Breslow and Xavier Bogaerts aren't awesome,  Farrell looks like a turkey.

I always thought a manager or sports coach (with the exception of Football, which requires much more strategy preparation than any other sport) that doesn't have the horses, will never look good no matter what he does.

Two very successful manager/ coaches who are heralded as two of the best ever always had the horses ( Sparky Anderson and Scotty Bowman). Sparky had a virtual All Star team in Cincinnati and later had a juggernaught team with the 1984 Tigers. Bowman had All Star hockey teams in Montreal and later in Detroit.

Now, Farrell doesn't have the superstars that Francona had, but he has done a marvelous job. No poke at Francona, who I also like....but the clown Valentine had much more talent than Farrell has and drove the ship aground....rather quickly.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I think John has done a good job, and I give him a 9, because I wouldnt give any Manager a 10....I think besides being a great clubhouse Manager the fact that he has shown flexiility in his approach has impressed me....he supported his Stephen Drew vs lefty in Game 3 but was not stubborn enough to realize it was a better move to use Boegaarts in Game 4...I love Tito, but there is no way he does that. I also though sending Breslow back out there for the 8th in game 4 was a gutsy move....the save move for a Manager is to go with your setup guy and then closer....you risk no criticism by doing it that way....instead in both moves he did what he thought was best for the team, no matter the second guessing he might get.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think the confidence in the manager thing is over done.  I do think his interaction with the players can help or hurt--see John Farrell vs. Bobby V--but by and large all managers have a plethora of data which normally gives them a much better basis for making moves than anything we can think of. 

What makes managers successful and unsuccessful are good and not so good players.  It's that simple.  Joe Torre was a loser until he got the Yankees job.  Grady Little was a loser after he had the Sox job.  Francona was a loser before he managed the Sox. 

I started a thread before game 5 saying Iglesias had to be benched and Leyland did just that, not because I had any great insight but because it was just so obvious. Iglesias wasn't hitting and Peralta was, plus nobody was hitting the ball to Iglesias.  In four ALDS games he had half as many fielding chances as Drew had. 

But lots of times the best move, which doesn't alway pan out, isn't obvious, so some fans then launch a thread declaring the manager doesn't know what he is doing.  You know, like redsoxfireman did after game 3 when Longoria hit the dinger.  Dumb, dumb, dumb the cry went forth.  Never pitch to Longoria when 2d base is open--great slugger, clutch hitter, etc.--except of course in the 7th inning with one man out, a man on second with the go ahead run in a tie game, and first base open.  Then it's OK, of course.  In fact it's obvious you pitch to him because in that particular instance Longoria popped out to 3B.  But I guarantee you another four of five threads would have sprung up if Longoria had singled to drive in the go ahead run.  What was Farrell thinking?  I guess he's lucky there was no hue and cry after he sent Uehara out to pitch the 9th and gave up the gamewinning dinger to Lobaton. 

[/QUOTE]

Max, according to some on here, Iglesias was most likely benched for game five BECAUSE you posted that logic on BDC. The same logic that determines the players confidence, or lack of same, is represented by this fan forum. Don't underestimate the power of your posts!!Wink

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

100% confidence.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

My confidence level in Farrell is at a 10. I doubt anyone on this forum would do a better job coaching the Sox than Farrell even though there is considerable Monday morning quarterbacking that goes on.

Here's the thing...not every decision a manager makes works out. As the person in charge of this team, he created a great team environment. His on the field decisions have worked out just fine overall considering they finished with the best record.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to jidgef's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Max, according to some on here, Iglesias was most likely benched for game five BECAUSE you posted that logic on BDC. The same logic that determines the players confidence, or lack of same, is represented by this fan forum. Don't underestimate the power of your posts!!Wink

[/QUOTE]

Funny.  Smile  Fact is, Leyland has forgotten more than I will never know about baseball.  If he had started Iglesias in game 5 and the Tigers won or Iglesias hit, I would have admitted my error.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:
    [QUOTE]

My confidence level in Farrell is at a 10. I doubt anyone on this forum would do a better job coaching the Sox than Farrell even though there is considerable Monday morning quarterbacking that goes on.

Here's the thing...not every decision a manager makes works out. As the person in charge of this team, he created a great team environment. His on the field decisions have worked out just fine overall considering they finished with the best record.

[/QUOTE]

Well stated.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

He's the best bet for manager of the year; why is confidence even a topic of conversation!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

I give him a 9.5, except for the 7th and 8th innings, then he gets a 5.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to RedSoxFireman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

red sox did not finish with best record see cardinals

[/QUOTE]

Both won 97 games, but tiebreaker goes to Boston forbeing in the tougher League.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

10!  look where we are...we are at the cusp of a WS...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Actually thought Buchholz should've taken more of the blame for that. It was obvious not to give him anything to hit. But it was one mistake ( perhaps the only one ) that didn't effect the whole series, only that one game. And "what doesn't kill ya' ....".

As an In-game manager, I give Farrell an 8.2

I really liked the idea of having Uehara pitch a 4-out save after giving up a walk off hr the game before. I thought that was, for lack of a better word, mega-smart. :) 

As far as creating a winning atmosphere off-field, I give him a 10.

Sections
Shortcuts