Your Offer For Lester

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Your Offer For Lester

I know there are some other Lester threads floating about, but I thought this one was unique enough to make a new topic...

I'm hearing a lot of predictable complaining from some quarters about the Sox being cheap and not wanting to spend to keep Lester. Okay. If you're in Larry/Ben's shoes, what's your offer? How high are you willing to go.

Copied and pasted from another thread:

"I agree it's time for the Sox to put forward a strong offer and try to get this wrapped up. If it were me, I'd put something like 5/120 or 6/132 on the table and see if that gets it done. I might go higher than that, but not by a lot. If nothing else, we'll know if he's looking for huge money and maybe we should be thinking about a trade..."

I think that is fair to Lester, but still a discount off what he would command on the open market. I don't know if that gets it done, but it would at least satisfy me that they tried.

$25 million per year should be the absolute max, if it is a shorter deal (4-5 years). If absolutely necessary I think I'd go as many as 7 years, but for a lower AAV (<$20m/yr).

I think this is a subject no two people are really going to agree on...I know some are saying break the bank, and some don't see him as a $100 million pitcher at all. However this situation ends up, there will be complaints about how the Sox paid too much, or should have paid more, so I thought it would be nice to get everyone on record in one thread before it all goes down.

What say you, t-ballers?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Re: Your Offer For Lester

Five years, $120-$125, with an option for year 6 @ $25M

Q - Why does the Navy sew the seaman's name on their back pocket?

A - So the Marines know who they're -----ing!

And I have never posted here under any other names.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to S5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yup.

That's a reasonable offer and I like making the 6th year an option.

I believe Redsoxkimmi suggested a 7th year option as well.

I wouldn't go more than 5 years guaranteed.

If an offer like that isn't enough, then he doesn't want to stay here all that bad.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

I like the 5-yr base with options included...should have thought of that when I typed my post.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSPCB73. Show RSPCB73's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yup.

If an offer like that isn't enough, then he doesn't want to stay here all that bad.

[/QUOTE]

I assume you mean the team option for 6th year.  If so, it could be improved by a performance clause, based upon 4th and 5th year performance which would automatically trigger the option for the 6th year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to RSPCB73's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yup.

[/QUOTE]

I assume you mean the team option for 6th year.  If so, it could be improved by a performance clause, based upon 4th and 5th year performance which would automatically trigger the option for the 6th year.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, I did.

Someone else here (I wish I could recall who it was) suggested that even if Lester isn't a TOR pitcher at the end of a contract this long, he'll still be serviceable #4-5 guy.

With the rate of salary inflation being what it is, Lester may not be wildly overpaid as back of the rotation guy, by then.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

5 years $120 million

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SportsGenius1. Show SportsGenius1's posts

5@22.5 and not a Drachma more.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

$115M/5 with a club option for year 6 at $17M with a $5M buyout, so essentially a

$120M/5 ($24M x 5) or $132M/6 ($22M x 6) year deal.

If he says no, I might go $20M for the 6th year with a $7.5M buyout making it essentially a

$122.5M ($24.5M x 5) or $135M/6 ($22.5M x 6) year deal.

If he says no, I'd thank him politely and tell him he is about to be traded.

Sox4ever

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

$115M/5 with a club option for year 6 at $17M with a $5M buyout, so essentially a

If he says no, I might go $20M for the 6th year with a $7.5M buyout making it essentially a

If he says no, I'd thank him politely and tell him he is about to be traded.

Sox4ever

[/QUOTE]

I think that would get it done. Good job, Moon.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

This being July 17, I wouldn't bother with the fancy footwork with the options.  I think at this point it's how many years and how much per year. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]

Yup.

[/QUOTE]

My initial offer would be 5yr/$121 mil, with a vesting option or two.   Throw in some performance bonuses if necessary.  I would go as high as 5yr/$125 mil.   IMO, that is fair to both sides.  It gives Lester a substantial raise, and it gives the Sox a discount over what Lester is likely to get in the open market.

Like you, I would not offer more than 5 guaranteed years.   That said, if the FO signs him for 6 or 7 years (which I don't think they will do), I'm certainly not going to gripe about it. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

This being July 17, I wouldn't bother with the fancy footwork with the options.  I think at this point it's how many years and how much per year. 

[/QUOTE]

The Sox are clearly worried about long contracts. I think adding the 6th year gives Lester more security or a higher wage, if we decline the option, but it more importantly gives Sox management an out (though an expensive out), if Lester declines or gets hurt.

It's really not all that "fancy". These types of deals are very common with high priced players.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Chicken and beer.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Yup.

[/QUOTE]

My initial offer would be 5yr/$121 mil, with a vesting option or two.   Throw in some performance bonuses if necessary.  I would go as high as 5yr/$125 mil.   IMO, that is fair to both sides.  It gives Lester a substantial raise, and it gives the Sox a discount over what Lester is likely to get in the open market.

Like you, I would not offer more than 5 guaranteed years.   That said, if the FO signs him for 6 or 7 years (which I don't think they will do), I'm certainly not going to gripe about it. 

[/QUOTE]

I feel the same. I'm fine with 6 or 7 years for Lester, but I've been suggesting 5 year deals, because I know Sox management frowns on long deals, and I think that might be as long as they dare go.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to davidap's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Chicken and beer.

[/QUOTE]

You're right!

Time for lunch.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

6 yr $132M and 7th yr $18M team option.  Should have option like Lackey's in somewhere.  Total 7 yr $150M

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

It's a difficult situation because in this market Jon Lester will command more than the Red Sox should pay.

I'm rarely a proponent of a long-term contract.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It's a difficult situation because in this market Jon Lester will command more than the Red Sox should play.

[/QUOTE]

Ouch.  Only an outsider could make such a clinically accurate assessment.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to RigatoniT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

$1

[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah....$2

Beat that!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

First offer:  6 years @ $111

this is the right # of years and even though the 111 is not FMV, it would be the highest package on the team (Pedey @ 110)...should had been offered pre AS Break 6/16

if he balks, i come back with an options year for year 7 @ 20 million.  but it's contingent on pitching 150+ innings in year 6.  that is my final offer and if not accepted 1 week prior to deadline (up to 7/131), he's getting dealt - and I let him be aware of this; keeping in mind if he rejects the offer I would kill him in the press for the statements he made (ie "hometown discount" and "you'll have to rip this jersey off my back" - of course, AFTER he's dealt! - should had been offered yesterday

PS - opening "feeler" offer in ST should had been 5 @ 90 (even David Jonathan Drew got 5/70 and that was in 2006!)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sobchack. Show Sobchack's posts

5 at $25M.  No more. MORE than generous. Yeah, throw in an option for a 6th year.  It's still to many years for my comfort.  

SPs are just simply risky multi-year deals  SEE: Sabathia, Cain, and further back: Santana, Zito, Peavy, etc.  You risk getting a $10M pitcher for $25M in the last 2 years of the deal = $30M out the window.  Lester is not King Felix.

24. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts