Your pick: Francona or Farrell?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

Your pick: Francona or Farrell?

Who would want Francona back over Farrell if we could get him?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Re: Your pick: Francona or Farrell?

Francona. Francona was an outstanding manager. He was the manager of 2 World Series Championships. I hope Farrell can duplicate that success someday for the Sox. But presently, I would take Francona.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Why would you even raise such a question.  Francona is long gone and Farrell is doing a fine job.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Well wanting him back is one question the other is who is the better manager.

I say they are two very good managers. Both have had success in Boston and failure in and out of Boston.

At this time I would not exchange Farrell for Francona just because I believe at this time Farrell is the best choice.

Just as Francona was needed in 2004.

Love the Red Sox and enjoy the ride every year

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Farrell has not even been manager half a season so comparisons are a wee bit premature anyway.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Both are great managers.

Presently, I would choose Farrell because he doesn't seem as rigid with the lineup as Francona was.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

No thanks to Tippy that ship has sailed. Farrell is a good manager.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I refuse to choose.  Francona deserves a lot of credit for the job he did and especially putting up with guys like Manny Ramirez.  But I was fine when he left after 2011 and am more than fine with John Farrell in 2013.  If Francona never left, I would be completely supportive, but he's gone. 

So, for that matter, is Theo Epstein.  And I sure as heck don't miss him and think Ben Cherington is doing a pretty good job. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:

Well wanting him back is one question the other is who is the better manager.

I say they are two very good managers. Both have had success in Boston and failure in and out of Boston.

At this time I would not exchange Farrell for Francona just because I believe at this time Farrell is the best choice.

Just as Francona was needed in 2004.

Love the Red Sox and enjoy the ride every year

Agreed,

Love francona, 2 ws rings.  Farrell is doing a great job, sox in first place.  Francona seems happy to be in a dugout again, good for him.  I don't think he deserved the treatment he got in the end.  Farrell seems to be enjoying boston and boston seems to be enjoying him.

Life is good!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

In response to 2004Idiot's comment:

Francona. Francona was an outstanding manager. He was the manager of 2 World Series Championships. I hope Farrell can duplicate that success someday for the Sox. But presently, I would take Francona.

I'd like to see Farrell with In-Prime Ortiz, Manny, Schilling, Foulke, Paps, Damon, Varitek and Pedro before I start comparing them.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Francona was great at managing the clubhouse because he protected his players from media and fan criticism to a fault. That was his strength. He also managed much better and more actively in the postseason.

On the other hand, his in-game tactics were terrible. He seemed brain dead on the bench at times and he was as creative as dry wall. He left his pitchers in the game too long at times and at other times took them out too soon. He failed to utilize his full offensive arsenal:  pinch hit, hit and run, or execute the stolen base, for example. He rarely used defensive shifts. He failed to remove badly slumping players from the lineup soon enough, instead allowing them to continue to fail to the detriment of the team (eg: Wakefield). Yes the Red Sox won two rings while he mostly sat on the pine and did nothing-they won IN SPITE of him, not because of him. Francona was stubborn as well, making the same stupid mistakes over and over again. And in the end he completely lost control of his players and had to be fired.

So far Farrell has done a good job at in game tactics with a few hiccups. He is using more of his offensive and defensive arsenal and is protecting his players when the deserve it and calling them out when they don't (eg: Will Middlebrooks had to prove he could hit before he could return to the team).

In summary, there is no comparison. Francona was, at best, mediocre, and probably worse than that. Farrell is doing a good job so far, but its still early. I would rather have Bill806 managing the team than Francona.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Francona did a great job while here tat unfortunately ended badly.

Farrell has done a great joib so far.

No need to choose.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

I would rather have Bill806 managing the team than Francona.

But apparently, Bill would prefer to "coach" the team.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to SoxFanInIL's comment:

In response to 2004Idiot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'd like to see Farrell with In-Prime Ortiz, Manny, Schilling, Foulke, Paps, Damon, Varitek and Pedro before I start comparing them.

[/QUOTE]

I would like to see those guys back under any circumstance.Wink

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Farrell is the man of the hour (year). Pointless debate.

Sox4ever

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

Farrell and Francona both left teams that slumped in their final year, though Farrell was recruited still having a year left on his contract.

The two teams they inherited had almost equally bad seasons last year.

Did either one or the other have more of a turnaround task?

Do we still think that the manager only makes a difference in game outcomes a few times per year?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Farrell is the man of the hour (year). Pointless debate.

Sox4ever

Agreed--really. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Team chemistry looks very good right now, and I think Farrell is part of that.  He has made some good managerial decisions that resulted in wins, but maybe he was just lucky.  Napoleon once said he preferred "lucky" generals over smart ones. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

Francona was great at managing the clubhouse because he protected his players from media and fan criticism to a fault. That was his strength. He also managed much better and more actively in the postseason.

On the other hand, his in-game tactics were terrible. He seemed brain dead on the bench at times and he was as creative as dry wall. He left his pitchers in the game too long at times and at other times took them out too soon. He failed to utilize his full offensive arsenal:  pinch hit, hit and run, or execute the stolen base, for example. He rarely used defensive shifts. He failed to remove badly slumping players from the lineup soon enough, instead allowing them to continue to fail to the detriment of the team (eg: Wakefield). Yes the Red Sox won two rings while he mostly sat on the pine and did nothing-they won IN SPITE of him, not because of him. Francona was stubborn as well, making the same stupid mistakes over and over again. And in the end he completely lost control of his players and had to be fired.

So far Farrell has done a good job at in game tactics with a few hiccups. He is using more of his offensive and defensive arsenal and is protecting his players when the deserve it and calling them out when they don't (eg: Will Middlebrooks had to prove he could hit before he could return to the team).

In summary, there is no comparison. Francona was, at best, mediocre, and probably worse than that. Farrell is doing a good job so far, but its still early. I would rather have Bill806 managing the team than Francona.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

Then again, you have absolutely NO...I...DEA whether or not Tito made a right decision or not, because you weren't sitting next to him in the dugout and you didn't have access to the same information he did.  You don't know if a pitcher asked to come out or if a pitcher warming up in the pen just didn't have it.  Managers have access to so much more information than a fan does and they rely on the advice of their coaches. 

You criticizing a baseball manager for a baseball decision is the equivalent of me criticizing a NASA engineer because of the way he built a rocket ship.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Liked Tito, but ultimately couldn't stand to watch him spitting constantly, and for that reason alone was glad when he left.Laughing

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to mjagger's comment:

Tito was and always will be a lousy field manager. I see a lot of Tito in Farrell's managing. Final verdict: They're pretty much equal, which i don't consider a good thing.

Which Red Sox managers do you think of as good field managers - not including Dick Williams?

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to lasitter's comment:

Farrell and Francona both left teams that slumped in their final year, though Farrell was recruited still having a year left on his contract.

The two teams they inherited had almost equally bad seasons last year.

Did either one or the other have more of a turnaround task?

Do we still think that the manager only makes a difference in game outcomes a few times per year?

Tito has a harder time with CL.  Farrell was replacing the worst manager in BB, who was really far worse than his record indicates.  And the injured players were coming back, and the traded players replaced.  I figured he'd win about 89, and that's the pace the RS are on approximately.

Tito took over a team that was #29 in run differential.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Past that, the question doesn't make much sense.  I don't choose between Ted and Carl.

It's also impossible to compare.  Tito was by far the most successful manager in BB over an 8-year period.  Farrell has less than a half season.