Your pick: Francona or Farrell?

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

Re: Your pick: Francona or Farrell?

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:

Well wanting him back is one question the other is who is the better manager.

I say they are two very good managers. Both have had success in Boston and failure in and out of Boston.

At this time I would not exchange Farrell for Francona just because I believe at this time Farrell is the best choice.

Just as Francona was needed in 2004.

Love the Red Sox and enjoy the ride every year

Francona wasn't needed in 2004. That was a championship team waiting to happen. You could have managed that team to a WS title.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from irish-sox-fan. Show irish-sox-fan's posts

In response to 2004Idiot's comment:

Francona. Francona was an outstanding manager. He was the manager of 2 World Series Championships. I hope Farrell can duplicate that success someday for the Sox. But presently, I would take Francona.

Amen. Farrell looks really good but Tito won two World Series and broke the curse FFS. If Farrell can replicate that tell me you won't be happy. Tito was treated like crap by our fans. Second guessing a guy who won two WS, and came back from 0-3 to the scum. That's outagious.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to klaus1954's comment:

Back to the point of my post, I like both Francona and Farrell. What is your response to my comment. I am here to listen to your intelligent response / dialogue. Give it a try, it can't be that difficult. Try to attempt to reply to an idea instead the poster.  I knoe that you can do it if you try.

He gave you the appropriate response Pike. Learn to read!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to irish-sox-fan's comment:

In response to 2004Idiot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Francona. Francona was an outstanding manager. He was the manager of 2 World Series Championships. I hope Farrell can duplicate that success someday for the Sox. But presently, I would take Francona.

Amen. Farrell looks really good but Tito won two World Series and broke the curse FFS. If Farrell can replicate that tell me you won't be happy. Tito was treated like crap by our fans. Second guessing a guy who won two WS, and came back from 0-3 to the scum. That's outagious.

[/QUOTE]

+100

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

God broke the curse, not Francona...if that wasnt divine intervention then nothing was...farrell is a much better manager with lesser players....

As always - 100% correct!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

God broke the curse, not Francona...if that wasnt divine intervention then nothing was...farrell is a much better manager with lesser players....

As always - 100% correct!

It's a very rash statement to say Farrell is a much better manager less than halfway through his first season.  The 2013 team hasn't accomplished anything yet.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

[QUOTE]

Francona was great at managing the clubhouse because he protected his players from media and fan criticism to a fault. That was his strength. He also managed much better and more actively in the postseason.

On the other hand, his in-game tactics were terrible. He seemed brain dead on the bench at times and he was as creative as dry wall. He left his pitchers in the game too long at times and at other times took them out too soon. He failed to utilize his full offensive arsenal:  pinch hit, hit and run, or execute the stolen base, for example. He rarely used defensive shifts. He failed to remove badly slumping players from the lineup soon enough, instead allowing them to continue to fail to the detriment of the team (eg: Wakefield). Yes the Red Sox won two rings while he mostly sat on the pine and did nothing-they won IN SPITE of him, not because of him. Francona was stubborn as well, making the same stupid mistakes over and over again. And in the end he completely lost control of his players and had to be fired.

So far Farrell has done a good job at in game tactics with a few hiccups. He is using more of his offensive and defensive arsenal and is protecting his players when the deserve it and calling them out when they don't (eg: Will Middlebrooks had to prove he could hit before he could return to the team).

In summary, there is no comparison. Francona was, at best, mediocre, and probably worse than that. Farrell is doing a good job so far, but its still early. I would rather have Bill806 managing the team than Francona.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

Then again, you have absolutely NO...I...DEA whether or not Tito made a right decision or not, because you weren't sitting next to him in the dugout and you didn't have access to the same information he did.  You don't know if a pitcher asked to come out or if a pitcher warming up in the pen just didn't have it.  Managers have access to so much more information than a fan does and they rely on the advice of their coaches. 

You criticizing a baseball manager for a baseball decision is the equivalent of me criticizing a NASA engineer because of the way he built a rocket ship.  

[/QUOTE]

And to add to that Jasko...
    If Tito protected the players, was able to manage some big egos and make more right moves than wrong ones on the field, which he did, Id say he was part of the reason they won. If he did none of that, this those teams would have run wild a lot earlier than they did. Dont worry, Farrell will make his share of "bad moves" if hes here for 8 years.

The whole "in spite of" is so laughable to me.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to BOSOX1941's comment:

[QUOTE]

I say they are two very good managers. Both have had success in Boston and failure in and out of Boston.

At this time I would not exchange Farrell for Francona just because I believe at this time Farrell is the best choice.

Francona wasn't needed in 2004. That was a championship team waiting to happen. You could have managed that team to a WS title.

[/QUOTE]

another dumb comment. Yes, mananging a group of veteran ballplayers making millions of dollars is easy. Brilliant!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

I still don't understand all the hate for Francona.  He is one of the most respected managers in baseball in the opinions of players, other managers, and the baseball "experts".

People often talk about how terrible his in game managing was.  I have yet to be convinced that he was any worse that any of the other managers.  Yes, he makes mistakes, as do all managers.  Does he make more mistakes than other managers?  I would beg to differ.

Probably his only fault, if you can even call it a fault, is that he was too loyal to his players.

I love what Farrell has done with this team so far ( I think he has a lot of Francona's influence in him).  I think it was time for Tito to move on, though I was very sad to see him go.  I'm extemely happy with what Francona did during his 8 years here, and I am extremely happy with what Farrell has done during his short time here.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to lasitter's comment:

Who would want Francona back over Farrell if we could get him?

Absolutely not, Farrell has made a couple bad moves but is better all round.  John strikes me as a guy who will put wins ahead of personal favorites which is why you see guys like Middy playing less and Bailey being replaced very soon. 

Francona was a great guy but didn't have much of a back bone for discipline and wouldn't act on things until it was much too late.  

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Francona lost control of the team 3 or 4 years ago. To even think of giving him back this job is ludicrous.

Most of us gave Farrell an al-inclusive Pass before the bus even got off the I-75 intersection in Ft Myers. For myself, I was almost giddy about Farrell getting the job. That feeling has been dropping gradually for the last 4 weeks. He has had a couple of years experience as a manger, but many more as a respected pitching coach. It seems to me that anyone who is brought in off the waiver wire, or for a couple of junior college prospects is in deep trouble. As long as the 35 year old 8 million a year guys are sitting on the bench, they're the ones filling up the lineup.

Bailey has not been closer material for the entire year; why did it take an experience pitching coach this long to "notice, by the way" that he no longer has the fast ball he had in the past? Or that every curveball is a batting practice curve ball? I noticed it a month ago! (And so did a lot of anylists on other MLB stations),

Why, with an 18 game hitting streak, was Iggy batting ninth Thursday night in Detroit? Most certainly getting one less chance of an AB than if he were hitting second. He's hittin about .420, not .220! Or, didn't that the idea that the guy might have noticed and welcomed the attention. (Think Ciriaco who has been hanging his head wondering why he's suddenly the designater pinche runner, while a .200 hitter is playing SS and a .190 hitter is playing 3rd. GO PEDRO!

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Why would you even raise such a question.  Francona is long gone and Farrell is doing a fine job.

Ditto, +1, *like* and harrumph.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

I still don't understand all the hate for Francona.  He is one of the most respected managers in baseball in the opinions of players, other managers, and the baseball "experts".

People often talk about how terrible his in game managing was.  I have yet to be convinced that he was any worse that any of the other managers.  Yes, he makes mistakes, as do all managers.  Does he make more mistakes than other managers?  I would beg to differ.

Probably his only fault, if you can even call it a fault, is that he was too loyal to his players.

I love what Farrell has done with this team so far ( I think he has a lot of Francona's influence in him).  I think it was time for Tito to move on, though I was very sad to see him go.  I'm extemely happy with what Francona did during his 8 years here, and I am extremely happy with what Farrell has done during his short time here.

Apparently, they long for the old days when we never won the World Series. That along with the simple fact that they're not very bright.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

I hope to see Farrell in the dugout for a long time.

The Bailey situation aside, I know he does not abide by the "7-run rule", he seems to have a positive rapport with both players and management, and you never wince during interview comments as was a given with "the mouth" Bobby V.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to BOSOX1941's comment:

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, we were a championship team waiting to happen.  Let's gloss over the fact that we were waiting 86 years.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Francona during the glory years...for this 2013 concoction, Farrell

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from crix. Show crix's posts

Farrell has pulled the team out of its worst season since 1965 and shameful last place finish.  He has brought the team back to a 1st place standing as genuine playoff contenders for the first time since 2009.  Francona is now presiding over a .500 Cleveland club.

Francona's contributions to the Red Sox will always be remembered, but the change needed to be made after the inexcusable 2011 collapse.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to crix's comment:

Farrell has pulled the team out of its worst season since 1965 and shameful last place finish.  He has brought the team back to a 1st place standing as genuine playoff contenders for the first time since 2009.  Francona is now presiding over a .500 Cleveland club.

Francona's contributions to the Red Sox will always be remembered, but the change needed to be made after the inexcusable 2011 collapse.

I don't think anyone would argue that a change was needed by the end of 2011, not even Francona.

But, to belittle his accomplishments with the Sox is just spiteful, ill-informed and, frankly, stupid.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Athlon Sports conducted a survey of MLB players on a number of subjects.  Over 20% of players responded.  Here's one of the results.

Who is the best manager in baseball?

Joe Maddon, Rays (14.3%)

Terry Francona, Indians (10.2%)

Jim Leyland, Tigers (8.8%)

Bruce Bochy, Giants (8.2%)

Buck Showalter, Orioles (8.2%)

Bud Black, Padres (6.8%)

Ron Gardenhire, Twins (5.4%)

Dusty Baker, Reds (4.1%)

John Farrell, Red Sox (3.4%)

Mike Scioscia, Angels (3.4%)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Why would you even raise such a question.  Francona is long gone and Farrell is doing a fine job.

+1