Your pick: Francona or Farrell?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Re: Your pick: Francona or Farrell?

In response to BOSOX1941's comment:

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:

Well wanting him back is one question the other is who is the better manager.

I say they are two very good managers. Both have had success in Boston and failure in and out of Boston.

At this time I would not exchange Farrell for Francona just because I believe at this time Farrell is the best choice.

Just as Francona was needed in 2004.

Love the Red Sox and enjoy the ride every year

Francona wasn't needed in 2004. That was a championship team waiting to happen. You could have managed that team to a WS title.

Yes because anyone could deal with all the personality conflicts for as long as he did.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

Yes because anyone could deal with all the personality conflicts for as long as he did. 

Of all the crazy comments you hear on these message boards, the one that 'anybody could have managed the 2004 Red Sox to the title' is one of the most ridiculous.  Obviously that team had great talent, but they also had huge expectations and huge pressure, and they had to get past a Yankee team that won 101 games and a St. Louis team that won 105 games.

Anybody who says it was an easy task simply has no idea what they're talking about. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxdawg08. Show soxdawg08's posts

Farrell has made some judgement errors (Bailey) but, as a whole, he's done a decent job thus far. Francona did great things here but------ he's history.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from crix. Show crix's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

In response to crix's comment:

Farrell has pulled the team out of its worst season since 1965 and shameful last place finish.  He has brought the team back to a 1st place standing as genuine playoff contenders for the first time since 2009.  Francona is now presiding over a .500 Cleveland club.

Francona's contributions to the Red Sox will always be remembered, but the change needed to be made after the inexcusable 2011 collapse.

I don't think anyone would argue that a change was needed by the end of 2011, not even Francona.

But, to belittle his accomplishments with the Sox is just spiteful, ill-informed and, frankly, stupid.

Perhaps you missed the part where I said: "Francona's contributions to the Red Sox will always be remembered"  How exactly is that belittleing?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

I say they are two very good managers. Both have had success in Boston and failure in and out of Boston.

At this time I would not exchange Farrell for Francona just because I believe at this time Farrell is the best choice.

Francona wasn't needed in 2004. That was a championship team waiting to happen. You could have managed that team to a WS title.

The sox have fielded some great teams with some great players yet did not win a ring.  Ted williams, carl yaz and many great players for the sox never won a ring.  Look at the 67' sox, they had a good team and didn't win a ring.

I think you have to give francona credit where credit is due.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

In response to georom4's comment:

God broke the curse, not Francona...if that wasnt divine intervention then nothing was...farrell is a much better manager with lesser players....

As always - 100% correct!

It's a very rash statement to say Farrell is a much better manager less than halfway through his first season.  The 2013 team hasn't accomplished anything yet.

Agreed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

In response to 67redsox's comment:

The sox have fielded some great teams with some great players yet did not win a ring.  Ted williams, carl yaz and many great players for the sox never won a ring.  Look at the 67' sox, they had a good team and didn't win a ring.

I think you have to give francona credit where credit is due.

You're probably right...he did bring them back from 0-3 against the Yankees in the playoffs. I'm trying to remember what exactly did he do to bring them back to win 4 straight....and I'm sorry, but who was managing when they lost the first 3 games to the Yankees that series?
    Although I can't verify this rumor, but I think I heard that he was in the men's room when Manny & Millar gave Roberts the steal sign. We all know TERRY wasn't a proponent of base stealing. It's been said (by me,lol) that he was never convinced that stealing a base was within the rules.

9. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts