Your reaction to Bobby Valentine's press conference

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Re: Your reaction to Bobby Valentine's press conference

good to hear...i missed it

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

Valentine on NESN at 8:00 PM thur night..  Guess I'll have to skip O'Reilly.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

My reaction is, if he's wearing #25 because he loved Tony C... I LOVE THIS GUY.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSNS14. Show RSNS14's posts

Thought he was genuine and loved how he handled the media. This guys been around the block and exactly what this team needs. Can't wait to see him in the post game media show after playing the Yankees.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Agreed. Thought he seemed genuine. In think there's a real good chance that this city could really fall in love with this guy if he has some success. If the team struggles, well, then we will see. But I don't think they will, and it would be really nice to see them come out hot like 07.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOFFBURGER. Show HOFFBURGER's posts

thought there was a mildly humerous little exchange there when one of the first roster questions were asked, and valentine kinda quietly looked over towards cherington, and ben said something like "yeah, defer that question to me, that's a good first move as manager" (or something like that). within the context, it seemed like some subtle humor on cherington's part maybe with the notion in mind that valentine wasnt his choice, questions about his authority as GM or whatever. 

valentine looked like he was holding back tears most of the time, like really humbled and appreciative of the opportunity. he almost seemed at a loss for words early on. i'd not only like to see the sox win, but i wanna see this guy go out as a winner too. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

He's an egomaniac, but a smart one.  I think this choice looks very good considering what happened this year.  Players need to toe the line and get serious.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In Response to Re: Your reaction to Bobby Valentine's press conference:
    He's an egomaniac, but a smart one.  I think this choice looks very good considering what happened this year.  Players need to toe the line and get serious.
    Posted by concord27

Did you hear what Steve Phillips had to say about him last night on NE comcast? He had nothing but praise for V, and said looking back, the problems they had with each other were all his fault, and not V's. That was an eye opener, I was surprised to hear it put the way Phillips did.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think he tough but fair.
    He's smart and know different ways to win games.
    I like that he is flexible with line-ups.
    I hope he handles the staff well. I think he will.
    I'll miss Tito, but do not think it was the end of the world.
    He seemed burnt out. Managers have off-seasons to re-charge, but being the Sox manager is a 365 day a year job.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from GhostofTito. Show GhostofTito's posts

I liked him. He was certainly enthusiastic and happy to be there.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arodswallows. Show Arodswallows's posts

good way to start for him...

and of course, roster questions should be directed at the GM, assuming they have a real one...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from caseycsw. Show caseycsw's posts

Bobby V. was astute, humble, self-critical (in a classy self-reflective, but non-apologetic fashion) and very circumspect. I liked his comments about how he learned early that as a manager of a Japanese team the core meaning of a given statement could be lost in translation.  But he quickly added, reflecting on his Metsie managerial days, that delivering a message in English to English-speaking players does not necessarily mean the message is being either received or actually processed. He was essentially saying that real communication often involves repeating or reframing given content, and not just barking orders and expectations, as he did in previous managerial stints.  And you can see that finally getting to manage a team with a boatload of talent, and a genuine shot at a World Series crown, is a heartfelt dream come true for him.  If his performance on the diamond and in the clubhouse is anywhere near the level of heightened PR acumen he demonstrated in that press conference, the Bosox will be more than fine in the managerial department. He can't close, be a setup man, act as a solid fourth starter, play right field or DH.  But to paraphrase the 1980 song-stylings of the inimitable Jackson Browne, with a slight change in gender, that boy could sing: 
    "He was a friend to me when I needed one
    Wasn't for him I don't know what I'd done
    He gave me back something that was missing in me
    He could of turned out to be almost anyone
    Almost anyone...
    With the possible exception
    Of who I wanted him to be....
    He wasn't much good at stickin' around,
    But that boy could sing, he could sing..."

Anyway, nice singing, Bobby.....

“Pray for the dead, and fight like hell for the living.”

-          “Mother” Mary Harris Jones (union and community organizer, born 1837 (Ireland) – 1930 (U.S.))

“You see, until a few weeks ago, it seemed as if Wall Street had effectively bribed and bullied our political system into forgetting about that whole drawing lavish paychecks while destroying the world economy thing. Then, all of a sudden, some people insisted on bringing the subject up again. And their (Occupy Wall Street) outrage has found resonance with millions of Americans. No wonder Wall Street is whining.”

-          Paul Krugman, Princeton economist, N.Y. Times column, 10/16/11

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from drpjn. Show drpjn's posts

Great job and a really good beginning!

I hope he hasn't mellowed too much since as time goes by, I do think this team needs a good kick in the butt.  After all the manager search BS, this is a great move.

Everyone wins: the team, the fans, and certainly, NESN.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSFAN2. Show RSFAN2's posts

In Response to Your reaction to Bobby Valentine's press conference:
    Thought he was  genuinely excited to be the manager of the Sox. I thought he did a great job. Really looking forward to the 2012 season. Hopefully Ben makes some good additions in the next couple of weeks. Go Sox!
    Posted by 2004Idiots

I'm all in ! The guys does know the game. Hopefully the team responds to him in a postive way. Now if we can just fix the rotation, right field and Carl Crawford we might get back to winning.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

No miracle work from a manager who inherits most of a roster. Cleaning up and throwing out the garbage from an indolent MLBPA clubhouse frathouse will be a nice start.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Here in southern CT. No NESN [now MLB pkg.], used to watch alot of Mets games and Yanks if losing. Bobby V as manager will go one of 2 ways. Either it will turn out to be excellent hire and RS win 1 a WS in next few years or complete disaster, but no in between. If things go bad like last year it will get really ugly, at least w/ Francona everything was kept on QT. Bob V not affraid to speak mind, but excellent field boss, always seems to get best out of young players. Not affraid to sit players w/ big contracts who aren't producing. Luchino vs. Bob V has potential to explode two very strong personalities!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Didn't have a chance to see or hear the press conferance. It sounds as though he communicated sincere joy and reverance for this opportunity. I loved how Phillips accepted some of the blame for his relationship breakdown with Bobby V. I listened to Dino Costa on Mad Dog Radio last night driving home, his comments around how good Bobby V. will be for the Red Sox were spot on. One comment was that the Red Sox with Bobby V. Managing will without question be at the center of the MLB discussions all year. He was the perfect choice and exactly what this group of players needs. Time will tell in terms of success, but as I sit here today, I am very pleased with Bobby V. at the helm and wish him all the best. Also love that he took Tony C's 25, very cool and a move recognizing the storied aspect of the Boston Red Sox.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rgmfick. Show rgmfick's posts

Bobby Valentine was pretty smooth during his introductory Press Conference with Ben Cherington at 5:30 and then at 8:00 with Tom Caron and Don Orsillo in what was characterized as a Hot Stove interview.  As Bobby handled the Press Conference question about Daniel Bard well, I suspect he and Ben's first order of business may well be to pick a pitching coach, would not surprise me if that happens today before they head off to the meetings in Texas. It will interesting to see who the pitching coach is and more particularly, whether that coach may even attend the meetings with Bobby, Ben and Ben's FO staff.  A new pitching coach with his ear to the goings on could be very critical. I think of Rick Petersen, Orel Hershiser, Dave Wallace, etc.  Wallace had success with the Red Sox in 2004, Petersen success with the A's and Mets and Orel success pitching for the Dodgers, as ML Pitching Coach and with ESPN.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3868031. Show user_3868031's posts

Kick a**
     Bobby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

No NESN in CT?  i watch it in Michigan!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

I loved it. and the icing on the cake was when he put on the cap at the very end. I'll repeat was said about him.
    the right guy
    in the right place
    at the right time.

He absolutely made an impact. Even the beautiful miss Heidi Watney stayed around before she headed back to Cal.

great shot of her and John Dennis on the producers blog at WEEI.com
    she will really be missed by this red sox fan.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yukon-Cornelius. Show Yukon-Cornelius's posts

In Response to Re: Your reaction to Bobby Valentine's press conference:
    No NESN in CT?  i watch it in Michigan!
    Posted by MichFan

I'm in northern CT and we've got NESN here (thankfully), but I think it depends on where you are in the state and who your cable provider is. 

I wasn't sure about Bobby V initially, but I'm cautiously optimistic now.  I'm curious to see how he handles things on a daily basis.  Time to move forward rather than look back at what happened in September.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts