Your reaction to the John Henry/Larry Larry Lucchino interview on WEEI's "Dennis and Callahan Show"

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Re: Your reaction to the John Henry/Larry Larry Lucchino interview on WEEI's "Dennis and Callahan Show"

In Response to Re: Your reaction to the John Henry/Larry Larry Lucchino interview on WEEI's "Dennis and Callahan Show":
    Sox owner John Henry: Theo Epstein not going to be GM forever By John Tomase While Red Sox [team stats] owner John Henry did not reveal whether the team would let general manager Theo Epstein speak to the Cubs, he certainly greased the skids for his GM’s departure this morning during an interview with WEEI. I would say, not saying they wanted theo to be their guy this yr was the most telling answer the most entertaining part was JH face when hearing about the we love beer video for the 1st time
    Posted by pinstripezac

more of a non answer,zac. they danced around it, which was more telling than if there actually was one. I was as surprised to hear Henry didn't know about the video, as he was to hear there was one. I didnt either, but I don't own the team.

They sounded committed to addressing concerns and turning things around. also confirmed Francona did bow out, but made it clear he wasn't coming back, either way.  By in large, I thought they both handled it well.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: Your reaction to the John Henry/Larry Larry Lucchino interview on WEEI's "Dennis and Callahan Show"

"young players are having a much greater impact."

No sh*t! These are supposed to be the insiders and they are just understanding this now???!!!

I read this same quote by an anonymous GM something like 10 years ago.

I have been saying that the Red Sox or any team that wants to compete in a long, torturous season needs to get younger and faster. Steroids are no longer a big factor, you have to play small ball. Waiting for the 3 run homer is 1990's thinking. The game is becoming pitching, defense and taking the extra base ( stealing, sacrificing etc.) ...you can no longer simply slug your way to a World Series.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

My reaction is that they will be delighted if the Cubs get rid of the problem named Theo. They will never admit that, just as they will never admit to effectively firing Tito.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In Response to Re: Your reaction to the John Henry/Larry Larry Lucchino interview on WEEI's "Dennis and Callahan Show":
    "young players are having a much greater impact." No sh*t! These are supposed to be the insiders and they are just understanding this now???!!! I read this same quote by an anonymous GM something like 10 years ago. I have been saying that the Red Sox or any team that wants to compete in a long, torturous season needs to get younger and faster. Steroids are no longer a big factor, you have to play small ball. Waiting for the 3 run homer is 1990's thinking. The game is becoming pitching, defense and taking the extra base ( stealing, sacrificing etc.) ...you can no longer simply slug your way to a World Series.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

Who is waiting for the three run homer?  Earl Weaver believed in it devoutly, but not many since then. 

I don't think the older vs. younger is as clear cut as Henry implies or you assert, especially with agents insisting on five year contracts that can take a player past his prime.  I think the Yankees long-term contract with A-Rod is insane, but I think they have done well with older players like Posada and Jeter and others before them.  Overpaid in the later years, absolutely, but still contributers. 

Closer to home, what about Ortiz?  I think he is past his prime and therefore a risk, but his productivity and OPS this year were excellent.   I'd offer him $20M for two years, and let him walk if he wants a better offer.  And I still might be wrong--he might only be worth one year. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

So the reason the team fell apart in September was injuries and nutrition.  If they truly believe those are the reasons then why was Tito's option not picked up and a nutritionist simply added to the team's training staff.

And speaking of Lackey, he was terrible on day one and stayed bad.  What injury or nutritional deficit was he suffering from and why wasn't dealt with during the season?  They have 8 months with Lackey under their scrutiny and nothing improved.  How can they expect lackey to get better on his own?

Nutrition?  Who came up with that?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Nothing significant at all came out of the interview, as I expected. It was interesting regarding Henry's comment regarding the increased value of younger vs. older players based on recent historical production of same. May bode poorly for several Red Sox, e.g. Youk, Ortiz, Beckett, Wake, Tek, etc.

Theo will in fact talk to the Cubs, if he hasn't started that process already. They will offer him the President position. Only question will be whether he accepts or not.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

So the reason the team fell apart in September was injuries and nutrition.  If they truly believe those are the reasons then why was Tito's option not picked up and a nutritionist simply added to the team's training staff. And speaking of Lackey, he was terrible on day one and stayed bad.  What injury or nutritional deficit was he suffering from and why wasn't dealt with during the season?  They have 8 months with Lackey under their scrutiny and nothing improved.  How can they expect lackey to get better on his own? Nutrition?  Who came up with that?
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover
    Lackey's issues are bigger than that, but the Rs issues were bigger than John Lackey. The team has fallen apart the last two years because of injuries BTW, that is a valid observation. Any one who thinks you seamlessly replace Pedroia with Hall or Buchholz with Weiland is kidding themselves. Multiply those two examples and it is easy to see. The totality of the September collapse had some side issues but the RS were a bad team by September because f injury. The failure to win 2 or 3 more games with that bad team brings up other questions but at the core the team was under manned because of excessive injury issues.

Tito was not asked to stay because when the ownership group asked him to come in and explain what had happened and what he'd change, Tito basically said he wasn't the guy. Henery and LL did not seem to make too many bones about it, Tito was on the hot seat but Tito made their decision for them by making it first. They seem to be saying they were open to what he'd have had to say about turning the page on the collapse but Terry at that point was a beaten many.

The nutrition thing makes sense by the way. No sport has quite the challenges in this regard as baseball. Baseball players spend more time on the road than any other sport and travel is havoc on diet. Baseball players for decades glossed that all over with amphetamines, which before the stringent test policies in place today were a bigger plague than PEDs like steroids and HGH.

Needless to say and you aren't going to find any ownership group in MLB saying it, the radical reduction in the use of amphetamines and PEDs has change how guys age. Not just great players over 35 but good players in their 30's. It changes how they recovery from injury, their performance and therefore it makes it even harder to forecast future performance.

If you think about it, if you include amphetamines there is 50 years or more of tainted player data and in the case of PEDS about 20 years of data and only about 4-5 years of post policy data.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Nothing significant at all came out of the interview, as I expected. It was interesting regarding Henry's comment regarding the increased value of younger vs. older players based on recent historical production of same. May bode poorly for several Red Sox, e.g. Youk, Ortiz, Beckett, Wake, Tek, etc. Theo will in fact talk to the Cubs, if he hasn't started that process already. They will offer him the President position. Only question will be whether he accepts or not.
    Posted by sindarin-erebor
    I am not as positive that the Cubs will offer it to him and that may be a combination of things.

Epstein has no experience on the business side of baseball and has shown very little interest in it. He will cost far more than many other choices, and perhaps not only in contract requirements but some player compensation (prospects) back to the RS. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

As long as Epstein is GM of this team, there will be no success. He wants his fingers in the pie, and will not give any prospective manager (at least not one who has managed at this level) the leeway to run the team. If Theo is free to choose the replacement, it will surely be someone he can control, who is new to the job. Dale Sveum or Dave Martinez would be my guess.

Sections
Shortcuts