Your reply to Dodgers Nation?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Your reply to Dodgers Nation?

Dodgers Nation tweeted the following:

Dodgers Nation @DodgersNation              

"Red Sox fans...you're welcome."

I say thank you to Dodgers's management for shedding more than $250 million in salaries through 2018. I say thank you for taking Crawford/Beckett/Gonzalez/Punto. And I say thank you for Webster and De La Rosa. And finally thank you for allowing Ben to build “the next great Red Sox team”.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Re: Your reply to Dodgers Nation?

I say thank you, and mind your manners next week.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

I can sum it up in just a few words:

"If you're happy, I am!"

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Also thank you for defeating the Rays last night.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

Thanks too for coming back from 0-6 with 7 runs in the 7,8 & 9th so Tampa didn't gain on us. Yup, Peavy helped blow the 6-3 lead with 3 straight singles in the 6th but how about Price who only gave up 1 run in  7 and bullpen gave us 6 so we are not the only ones with bullpen problems.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

It's too early to make a judgment.

If either team wins a World Series (or two or three) between now and 2018, then perhaps a winner can be declared.

It's interesting that a Red Sox fan would thank the Dodgers for two pitchers with ERA of at least 9.00 at the MLB level this season, albeit in small samples (and ERA of 4.13 and 4.23 in larger samples at Triple A this year).

A 2013 World Series between the Red Sox and Dodgers would be interesting.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Last year's " blockbuster" was more of a salary dump than a trade. If DeLaRosa or Webster amount to anything, it would be a bonus. But to think that the Dodgers did us a favor, or that we put one over on them, is ridiculous. The Dodgers are trying to build a championship team, and they are spending heavily to achieve it. Money is no object. At least for now, it is working. They have a very strong team. They have an excellent chance to win it all. Probably a better chance than we have.  

Stabbed by Foulke.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

i say to the dodgers...shutup and win again tonight..thats all.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

It will of course take years to evaluate the ultimate outcome of this trade…however, with Beckett on the DL and Crawford and A-Gon not looking at all like $20-plus million players, I like the way the short-term is going for Boston and I think the long-term will look even better when all is said and done. No one can say what Webster and De La Rosa will turn into, but I’m glad to be out from under those three contracts, and that would have been worth it even if we got nothing in return in terms of players.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

It's too early to make a judgment.

If either team wins a World Series (or two or three) between now and 2018, then perhaps a winner can be declared.

It's interesting that a Red Sox fan would thank the Dodgers for two pitchers with ERA of at least 9.00 at the MLB level this season, albeit in small samples (and ERA of 4.13 and 4.23 in larger samples at Triple A this year).

A 2013 World Series between the Red Sox and Dodgers would be interesting.

Hill, weve won if only because it allowed us the chance to even compete for a WSC without having to carry all those bloated contracts. the prospects were a bonus. The Dodgers won because they got a couple players that are helping them and are not worried about financial restraints. Its already ad win-win IMHO.

I too would LOVE to see a 2013 Sox/Dodgers WS. That would confirm it was a win-win like i believe it was.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

i say stop trying to be like the LA kings twitter guys and be original. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

The Dodgers are doing what they are doing in spite of the players they got from the Sox - not because of them.  They could have done what the Red Sox did - sign Napoli, Drew & Victorino, and they would have better production for far less money, and held on to their prospects.  At least this year (so far) it looks like the Sox came out on top - and I hated the trade.

Hill - ERA is meaningless.  Webster has had a great year at Pawtucket.  He has a very nice 1.153 WHIP that is inflated by command issues.  6.5 H/9 is terrific.

De La Rosa has been less convincing, especially of late.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to slomag's comment:

The Dodgers are doing what they are doing in spite of the players they got from the Sox - not because of them.  They could have done what the Red Sox did - sign Napoli, Drew & Victorino, and they would have better production for far less money, and held on to their prospects.  At least this year (so far) it looks like the Sox came out on top - and I hated the trade.

Hill - ERA is meaningless.  Webster has had a great year at Pawtucket.  He has a very nice 1.153 WHIP that is inflated by command issues.  6.5 H/9 is terrific.

have you seen de la rosa? or just a stats slave?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

I saw him pitch the other night, but I'm not a professional scout, and if I were I don't think I could tell much from NESN footage.

You can drop the stats slave BS - Orel Hershiser knows a lot more about pitching than either of us, and he once said Craig Hansen had the best slider he'd ever seen.

At the end of the day, it's about results.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

I saw him pitch the other night, but I'm not a professional scout, and if I were I don't think I could tell much from NESN footage.

You can drop the stats slave BS - Orel Hershiser knows a lot more about pitching than either of us, and he once said Craig Hansen had the best slider he'd ever seen.

At the end of the day, it's about results.

exactly...and hansen did have a badazz slider.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

so he had one dominant inning and then one inning where he give up 2 hits. for a young pitcher how is that discouraging?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'm thankful we made the trade and freed up so much money for years to come.

The deal may end up helping the Dodger too, but as long as they don't beat us in the WS, I could care less.

As I said day 1 and I still think now, "the trade could perhaps be the best Sox trade of my lifetime".

Sox4ever

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I hope we do make it to the World Series. If we do, the Dodgers would not be my choice as an opponent. They would be the hardest team to beat. Would much rather face the Braves or Pirates. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

so he had one dominant inning and then one inning where he give up 2 hits. for a young pitcher how is that discouraging?

Six weeks ago he was having a dominant season at Pawtucket.  He's had a rough go of it lately - check out his last 10 games ... http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=P&sid=t533&t=p_pbp&pid=523989

He's coming off TJ surgery, and he's only 24 and throws very hard.  He could very well be an important part of our future, but of the two players Hill was trying to disparage, Webster has had the much better season.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

The best trade scenrio is one in which both parties are happy.

The Dodgers are happy with what they got and we're happy with the salary dump and the potential of the players we received.

My point is that there doesn't HAVE to be a winner or loser in a trade.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

The Punto deal saved the Red Sox 58.5 million for this year. This allowed the Red Sox to spend 57 million this year on their 6 most expensive free agents. We have gotten 11.8 WAR from those players. The Dodgers have gotten 5.1 WAR from their players this year.

So the Red Sox have added 6 Wins, changed the club house atmosphere, got 2 excellent prospects, saved 1.5 million, will get a first round pick for Drew and removed the long term danger of long contracts like Gonzalez and Crawford, since they likely will not get better.

Only one thing to tell the Dodgers.....Your very welcome. Come back anytime.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In response to BMav's comment:

The Punto deal saved the Red Sox 58.5 million for this year. This allowed the Red Sox to spend 57 million this year on their 6 most expensive free agents. We have gotten 11.8 WAR from those players. The Dodgers have gotten 5.1 WAR from their players this year.

So the Red Sox have added 6 Wins, changed the club house atmosphere, got 2 excellent prospects, saved 1.5 million, will get a first round pick for Drew and removed the long term danger of long contracts like Gonzalez and Crawford, since they likely will not get better.

Good post, but I don't know that Drew is going to be a type A free agent.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Great deal for the Sox.  Had to give up AGon so LA would take Crawford and especially Beckett.  If it also helps LA, that's fine with me.  The Dodgers are historically one of  the great MLB franchises.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to BMav's comment:

Good post, but I don't know that Drew is going to be a type A free agent.

There is no type A or type B anymore. A team just needs to offer a qualifying offer (next year should be about $14M), and if the player declines, then a pick is awarded.

If we offer Drew or Salty $14M, they probably will take it, so I doubt we get a pick for them. We should get one for Ellsbury, unless we extend or re-sign him.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Great deal for the Sox.  Had to give up AGon so LA would take Crawford and especially Beckett.  If it also helps LA, that's fine with me.  The Dodgers are historically one of  the great MLB franchises.

I hated losing AGon, but his salary did not make him a bargain player or irreplacable with that kind of money.

Sections
Shortcuts