Your reply to Dodgers Nation?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

Re: Your reply to Dodgers Nation?

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

[QUOTE]

Great deal for the Sox.  Had to give up AGon so LA would take Crawford and especially Beckett.  If it also helps LA, that's fine with me.  The Dodgers are historically one of  the great MLB franchises.

I hated losing AGon, but his salary did not make him a bargain player or irreplacable with that kind of money.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but if you compare that contract to Pujols or Texeria, it was a bargain. But ONLY in that respect. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

In response to 2004Idiot's comment:

Also thank you for defeating the Rays last night.

+1

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The gift that just keeps giving and giving.

Sox4ever

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to slomag's comment:

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

[QUOTE]

so he had one dominant inning and then one inning where he give up 2 hits. for a young pitcher how is that discouraging?

Six weeks ago he was having a dominant season at Pawtucket.  He's had a rough go of it lately - check out his last 10 games ... http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=P&sid=t533&t=p_pbp&pid=523989

He's coming off TJ surgery, and he's only 24 and throws very hard.  He could very well be an important part of our future, but of the two players Hill was trying to disparage, Webster has had the much better season.

[/QUOTE]

one has gotten shelled in boston, one has looked okay in boston. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

trading beckett was a priority since he was such a huge cancer....the facty that he's now washed up means little to the LAD who have Grienke and dont need an ace...plus they got the two other stars.....but i make that trade 100 times out of 100

As always - 100% correct!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

Not a reply but a message to dodgers and Vince, a great patrarch: do it again, whip and push down those devil rays...same to Giants

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

so he had one dominant inning and then one inning where he give up 2 hits. for a young pitcher how is that discouraging?

Six weeks ago he was having a dominant season at Pawtucket.  He's had a rough go of it lately - check out his last 10 games ... http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=P&sid=t533&t=p_pbp&pid=523989

He's coming off TJ surgery, and he's only 24 and throws very hard.  He could very well be an important part of our future, but of the two players Hill was trying to disparage, Webster has had the much better season.

[/QUOTE]

one has gotten shelled in boston, one has looked okay in boston. 

[/QUOTE]

Not in a meaningful sample size.  Drake Britton has looked better than both of them, but he's not.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

They are playing ridiculous, 15 games straight wins on the road. That team is goooood.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

To think that we hornswoggled the Dodgers on that trade is preposterous. We are fans , not CPAs.  Why are we supposed to be so worried about John Henry' s money ?  We should want to win.  That is what it is all about.   Why try to be some small market, money ball, metric watching team when we don't have to be?  I know it is fun for some posters to throw numbers around and play G.M. , but the goal is to win. The truth is ; we did not con the Dodgers. We unloaded payroll. Money that we have spent on slugs like Dempster and Napoli, and average or slightly above average guys like Victorino and Drew. We still have a high payroll. We are in first place. But the Dodgers now have a better team. Please do not thank the Dodgers for bailing us out. They were just helping themselves and taking advantage of our predicament. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

To think that we hornswoggled the Dodgers on that trade is preposterous. We are fans , not CPAs.  Why are we supposed to be so worried about John Henry' s money ?  We should want to win.  That is what it is all about.   Why try to be some small market, money ball, metric watching team when we don't have to be?  I know it is fun for some posters to throw numbers around and play G.M. , but the goal is to win. The truth is ; we did not con the Dodgers. We unloaded payroll. Money that we have spent on slugs like Dempster and Napoli, and average or slightly above average guys like Victorino and Drew. We still have a high payroll. We are in first place. But the Dodgers now have a better team. Please do not thank the Dodgers for bailing us out. They were just helping themselves and taking advantage of our predicament. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

Good post, especially hornswoggled. Really enjoyed reading it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

[QUOTE]

Stabbed by Foulke.

Good post, especially hornswoggled. Really enjoyed reading it.

[/QUOTE]

Thank you. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Stabbed by Foulke.

I wasn't a fan of the trade for exactly the reason you state - why root for money? But the facts are the Dodgers missed the post-season last year, and Victorino, Drew, Dempster & Napoli are outperforming Crawford, Punto, Beckett & Gonzalez - at least in 2013.  So if the goal is winning, the Dodgers could have done it for a fraction of the cost and without losing their prospects.  

The Sox on the other hand may not have been able to sign Uehara, re-sign Ortiz, and come up with another SS, so they would have to play Iglesias / Punto.  And even if you hate Dempster, we're 13-10 in his starts.  I don't know who the #5 starter is if Beckett is done for the season.  Probably Terry Doyle.  I don't think that team is playoff-bound.

Sox win (so far).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from crix. Show crix's posts

The Rays fell back to earth because they had a ridiculous stretch in July of playing nothing but 4th and 5th place teams, with the exception of the Red Sox, including 2 series with the worst in the majors Astros.  They are now getting back to playing good teams and looking like the Rays of April-June.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Stabbed by Foulke.

I wasn't a fan of the trade for exactly the reason you state - why root for money? But the facts are the Dodgers missed the post-season last year, and Victorino, Drew, Dempster & Napoli are outperforming Crawford, Punto, Beckett & Gonzalez - at least in 2013.  So if the goal is winning, the Dodgers could have done it for a fraction of the cost and without losing their prospects.  

The Sox on the other hand may not have been able to sign Uehara, re-sign Ortiz, and come up with another SS, so they would have to play Iglesias / Punto.  And even if you hate Dempster, we're 13-10 in his starts.  I don't know who the #5 starter is if Beckett is done for the season.  Probably Terry Doyle.  I don't think that team is playoff-bound.

Sox win (so far).

A couple of reasons I don't agree with this

- Since June 22nd, they're smoking hot, playing .800 ball - 36-9. I can't recall a team doing this for this long since the 1984 Jack Morris led WC Tigers, who were 35-5 out of the gate.

- They're in the NL West

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to crix's comment:

The Rays fell back to earth because they had a ridiculous stretch in July of playing nothing but 4th and 5th place teams, with the exception of the Red Sox, including 2 series with the worst in the majors Astros.  They are now getting back to playing good teams and looking like the Rays of April-June.

The Rays will not go away.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No, but they're not smoldering anymore either.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

The Dodgers are building , or have already built, a powerhouse. Money matters, like it or not. The Rays are not in the same category. Too many have fallen in love with the money ball, metric loving , small market concept.  The Red Sox should not fall into that category. In the end , it is too difficult to win with that philosophy.  Of course , we can always have fun here playing with numbers and being would -  be fantasy G.M s, while Sox owners rack up the profits. That is not going to get it done. The Rays will go away before the Dodgers do.  Who do we want to be ? I would hope that we would want to be the best. That takes money. It might not be as much fun, but it is true. It has been shown time and again.  To say that we conned the Dodgers on last year's so called blockbuster is nothing but nonsense.  All it did was save the Sox money. The Dodgers are looking to win it all , while we are wondering if we can afford to re-sign Ellsbury.  How did it come to this ?

Stabbed by Foulke.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No, but they're not smoldering anymore either.

[/QUOTE]

They just played the Dodgers. Let's see how much we are smoldering after our upcoming series with them.

The rays have the picthing, and their offense is the best they've had in years. I'm not saying they will win it all, but in a 7 game series against us, I like their odds with lefties price and Moore going 2 times each.

They scare me more than Detroit.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

The Dodgers are building , or have already built, a powerhouse. Money matters, like it or not. The Rays are not in the same category. Too many have fallen in love with the money ball, metric loving , small market concept.  The Red Sox should not fall into that category. In the end , it is too difficult to win with that philosophy.  Of course , we can always have fun here playing with numbers and being would -  be fantasy G.M s, while Sox owners rack up the profits. That is not going to get it done. The Rays will go away before the Dodgers do.  Who do we want to be ? I would hope that we would want to be the best. That takes money. It might not be as much fun, but it is true. It has been shown time and again.  To say that we conned the Dodgers on last year's so called blockbuster is nothing but nonsense.  All it did was save the Sox money. The Dodgers are looking to win it all , while we are wondering if we can afford to re-sign Ellsbury.  How did it come to this ?

Stabbed by Foulke.

Another good Post. Seems like we have very intelligent Red Sox Fans. Good. I keep thinking of when Fisk left. Its good to have a farm and Young Talent, but when you have established Major Leaguers you pay them.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from crix. Show crix's posts

They will most likely be the wildcard, but the notion that they became an amazing, unstoppable team in July ignores the level of who their competition was for that month. The Red Sox still beat them 10/16 for the season.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

They will most likely be the wildcard, but the notion that they became an amazing, unstoppable team in July ignores the level of who their competition was for that month. The Red Sox still beat them 10/16 for the season.

It all evens out. You beat the bad teams and try and stay about even with the good ones.

The Rays have one more loss than us with about the same schedule so far.

They are 6-10 vs BOS, 1-3 vs AZ, 1-5 vs KCR, 0-3 vs LAD and 1-2 vs TX.

They are even or plus vs all the rest.

The Sox are 4-6 vs Bal, 1-2 vs CWS, 1-3 vs DET, 2-5 vs KC, and 2-4 vs TX

Sox4ever

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]

Stabbed by Foulke.

Sox win (so far).

[/QUOTE]

Yeah. I'm not saying that we should not have made that trade. I think it had to be done. I'm just saying that we did not con the Dodgers. The Dodgers were not naive fools. The Dodgers did what they wanted to do. That is to build a championship team. They were not doing us any favors.  The days where only the Yankees could out spend us are over. Now there are others.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

AGon at 1st over Napoli.... wow! That of course would have been awesome.

Is the difference between Napoli's 14 HR, 67 RBI, and .778 OPS this season and AGon's 16 HR, 74 RBI, and .803 OPS worth an extra $10-15 million (not sure where Nap is in reaching his incentives) that could be used elsewhere? Hmm. I wanted to keep AGon too, but he would not put us over the top this year, and he has not looked like the player we thought we were getting for quite some time now (really, the second half of 2011). I'm not saying he is not still a good player, but I haven't been mourning for his loss.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:

Stabbed by Foulke.

Sox win (so far).

A couple of reasons I don't agree with this

- Since June 22nd, they're smoking hot, playing .800 ball - 36-9. I can't recall a team doing this for this long since the 1984 Jack Morris led WC Tigers, who were 35-5 out of the gate.

- They're in the NL West

The Dodgers are playoff-bound, but without the trade, I don't think the Sox are.  And without the trade, the Dodgers are still playoff-bound.

I agree the Dodgers weren't conned, but to this point, it's been better for the Sox.  But we'll see how it goes from here.

Sections
Shortcuts