Your thoughts on Ryan Sweeney getting the starting job at RF

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Your thoughts on Ryan Sweeney getting the starting job at RF

He might come through as an offensive force (I meant quality ABs) once he plays regularly.  We all trust his glove.  Your thoughts on him?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Re: Your thoughts on Ryan Sweeney getting the starting job at RF

In Response to Your thoughts on Ryan Sweeney getting the starting job at RF:
    He might come through as an offensive force once he plays regularly.  We all trust his glove.  Your thoughts on him?
    Posted by seannybboi

Just read that Alfonso Soriano bacame officially available.  I know some you will concern about his defense, his age, salary etc.. But in a right deal, Soriano WILL bring offense which our RFers lacked last season.  Zambrano was shipped to Miami yesterday and Cubs agreed to pay $15MM of his remaining $18MM.  Of course Miami sent Chris Volstad to the Cubs.  Miami is only paying $3MM for their newcomer.  If Ben and Theo can work things out taking compensation into consideration, there can be a good deal between RS and Cubs. 
    Just a thought.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jarretfromportsmouth. Show jarretfromportsmouth's posts

I'd be OK to see Sweeney platoon with Aviles.  and invest any money left in pitching, pitching, pitching.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Think this might turn out to be a guy fans really love. Unlike JD. He will play good D in RF and bat won't hurt 280 type not much power, but those numbers could rise playing in Fenway. But will love the grit. Just wish he hit RH, can't have everything.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigdog1. Show bigdog1's posts

Our rf position last was last in production and yet we were one of the top offensives in the AL.  Spend the money on pitching.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

I would love to see Sox spend money on pitching instead of position players as well.  But who's out there worth all that money? Kuroda or Oswalt for $13-14MM?? really??

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bunts. Show Bunts's posts

Sweeney will be at least as good as what we had last year vs. rhp. Then, either Darnell or Aviles, can handle the platoon vs. lefties. Not an ideal situation, but again, likely better than the production we got last year. Don't see Soriano happening as Cubs would have to eat 50 mil of the 54 mil he's owed over the next 3 years. Have to believe that the cubbies would rather wait and see if he can have  a decent start to the year and at the very least try and match up with another teams bad contract player (sox have plenty, but none that are going to be moved to the cubs under any reasonable scenario).

I do like the fact that the Sox should field a pretty athletic Outfield... and definitely would support Sweeney over some guy that might be able to hit better but would likely butcher rf.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from phxvlsoxfan. Show phxvlsoxfan's posts

The job should be his to lose.  Ryan could be a real steal.  Before his injury in 2010, you would have been laughed off the stage if you suggested swapping Reddick for Sweeney as your RF.  With his D, if he comes back to near his 2009/10 offensive production he will be a great addition.  We can only hope, but his attitude and excitement are encouraging.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I think a lot of this depends on performance.  There really is no clear cut RF, and that is reality.  I would like to see Kalish blossom into an everyday player, but he has been hurt and will get a late start to the season.  Sweeney doesn't have power, but we have plenty of it in our lineup and he actually can hit for average and walk, which would give us a guy who would be well above average for a 7-9 hitter who plays great defense in right.  But one issue with that is Sweeney is that he only plays around 110 games, so he may need to platoon with an Aviles to produce the same offensive results.  However we have seen utility/platoon players flurish when given a larger role (look at Marco Scutaro) and he is only 28 years old.  Mike aviles is kinda a similar player (except he's spent more of his time in the infield) he's defense has been marginal in the infield so who knows if he will be better in the outfield ( I do know he has some experience there and is playing it this offseason)  Aviles can hit for average and has a little pop and excellent speed...once again giving us an above average 7-9 hitter, he doesn't walk enough but then again he would bat 7-9.

It won't look pretty unless one of these guys really shines and wins out a fulltime position...but likely a platoon will give us serviceable to above average defense in right, with an above average back of the order bat. And who knows, maybe Kalish can win some over at the end of 2012 and who knows what 2013 will bring (Brentz)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Offensive force? I stopped reading.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

In Response to Re: Your thoughts on Ryan Sweeney getting the starting job at RF:
    Offensive force? I stopped reading.
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr

You didn't have to tell.. This thread isn't for you anyway..

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

anyone can be a force......just might not be a very big force.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

CLIFF NOTES: RF is NOT an issue

Sweeney will be fine as long as he doesn't face too much LHP.  His career stats v RHP:
    .296 / .352 / .402 / .754

Very solid despite the lack of HR power.  Add in DMac or Aviles v LHP's 
    DM  .285 / .348 / .451 / .799
    MA  .299 / .344 / .470 / .814

... and now you have pretty damn good offense coming out of RF at a very low price.  Plus the combined defense from the platoon should end up being at least average ... more than likely it will be decently above average.

Now let's focus on real issues ... like, can we get some pitching for Bowden + Iggy + Lars + ______

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from GhostofTito. Show GhostofTito's posts

Sweeney? Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Offensive farce, maybe.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

^^^ Unless you expect to have potential all-stars at every position, I don't see how you can argue for better.  Look at the stats and tell me the team should spend money on RF instead of pitching.  Assume Sweeney gets ~100 games and MA/DM get the other 60 ... you're cheapo #8-9 hitter is getting on base at about .350 which should set up Ells & Pedey very nicely indeed. 

/thread

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Your thoughts on Ryan Sweeney getting the starting job at RF:
    CLIFF NOTES: RF is NOT an issue Sweeney will be fine as long as he doesn't face too much LHP.  His career stats v RHP: .296 / .352 / .402 / .754 Very solid despite the lack of HR power.  Add in DMac or Aviles v LHP's  DM  .285 / .348 / .451 / .799 MA  .299 / .344 / .470 / .814 ... and now you have pretty damn good offense coming out of RF at a very low price.  Plus the combined defense from the platoon should end up being at least average ... more than likely it will be decently above average. Now let's focus on real issues ... like, can we get some pitching for Bowden + Iggy + Lars + ______
    Posted by 111SoxFan111

We're easily looking at a 100 point OPS improvement in RF this year without any further moves. (As long as we platoon Sweeney)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Are Dmac and Aviles really are RH platoon options?  I like Aviles' bat but the guy has barely played the OF in his career.  Plus I think vs. some LH starters it makes good sense to give Papi a day off, DH youk and play Aviles at 3rd.  I guess if Aviles is in RF Punto could play 3rd.  I got nothing against Dmac but he needed a .380 september last year to get his average to .235.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from never1954. Show never1954's posts

I would like to see a RFer that can stay on the field, period.  My guess is that it has to be tough to be comfortable in a place you are rarely at.  If he can stay healthy and consistant, it will be an upgrade. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

We're easily looking at a 100 point OPS improvement in RF this year without any further moves. (As long as we platoon Sweeney)

Wow, that should really improve the 30 million a year plus outfield. Sweeney and some of that great OPS v. LP from the great Jason Varitek from his bench spot where he still can't finish a season off the shelf.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillallbost08. Show stillallbost08's posts

We're easily looking at a 100 point OPS improvement in RF this year without any further moves. (As long as we platoon Sweeney) Wow, that should really improve the 30 million a year plus outfield. Sweeney and some of that great OPS v. LP from the great Jason Varitek from his bench spot where he still can't finish a season off the shelf.
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr

This thread had nothing to do with Varitek/JE or CC. Try staying on subject.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

"This thread had nothing to do with Varitek/JE or CC. Try staying on subject."

Softy Williams doesn't know how to stay on topic.  He beats more dead horses than a glue factory.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Sweeney? Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Offensive farce, maybe.
    Posted by GhostofTito

Excellent use of data to support your insightful opinion.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In Response to Re: Your thoughts on Ryan Sweeney getting the starting job at RF : This thread had nothing to do with Varitek/JE or CC. Try staying on subject.
    Posted by stillallbost08

Softy need to change his sign-on to 'The poster formerly known as someone with BB knowledge until Ellsbury destroyed him'.

He's still not beyond hope, but his ability to discuss things is down to about 15-20%.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

IRT the OP, I think we'll be pleasantly surprised.  I think we'll get .750+ with good D.  Platoon him with DMac or another cheap righty, and get ourselves a good #4/5 SP.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from orr4neely8. Show orr4neely8's posts

Mcdonald is the other candidate and Kalish on the mends. Once Kalish is back and healthy having three players fighting for the RF spot will make it more challenging. Maybe an odd man out via trade when things are clearer and to see where the Sox need help ie pitching.

Soriano i may have his autograph baseball but no thanx. Save the money for later in the season just in case we need some help.

But i heard through the grapevine that kalish will be able to try DH'ing  during his rehab is this true?

Sections
Shortcuts