Your thoughts on Ryan Sweeney getting the starting job at RF

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: Your thoughts on Ryan Sweeney getting the starting job at RF

But i heard through the grapevine that kalish will be able to try DH'ing  during his rehab is this true?

I wouldn't even think of having him in the mix.  At this point, I can't see him seriously outplaying Sweeney until he's a had a few months of rehab.  Keep him in the minors until next year and save the service time.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

and get ourselves a good #4/5 SP.

Joe, the drivel meter always spikes when you and fellow drones start humming. Name the "good 4 and 5 sP" and amounts to offer to obtain it. Zilch is what will follow from you.

Ellsbury has destroyed one  2010 season of zilch followed by 1 season in front of a returned to health for Pedroia and the addition of the true team MVP, AGon.

Ellsbury will destroy a budget, in InEpstein and Crawford style, over the next few years of his overrated career.

I think Sweeney will be what he is, a marginal baseball player who is not strong in any baseball skill area. I think doing nothing to improve the offense is a big mistake in a market that has no value beyond lottery retread stab contracts for pitching, but has good trade value market for moves that would dramatically improve offensive consistency.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

We need to lower expectations on Sweeney - if you think he's an upgrade over Reddick, then what was the compensaton value for Andrew Bailey? Miles Head? 

I think right now Sweeney is a decent stop-gap until Kalish is healthy and MLB-ready.  Sweeney is only 26, and was once a top prospect, so he could turn out to be a very pleasant surprise - but that's exactly what it should be, a surprise.  
    Overall, I'm not sure this team is any better offensively this year than last.  Yes, the OPS in RF with an Aviles / Sweeney platoon should be better, but that is only because of Drew's terrible performance.  I don't expect Aviles / Sweeney to be better than Reddick's .784 OPS, and I'm not sure Aviles has the tools to play 30% of the time, particularly at Fenway.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Joe, the drivel meter always spikes when you and fellow drones start humming. Name the "good 4 and 5 sP" and amounts to offer to obtain it. Zilch is what will follow from you.

Depends on the price.  When the prices come down, we can target Oswalt or Saunders, or trade for someone like Volquez, who SD has to get rid of.  What's your opinion for our #4 or 5?  Wakefield again?

Ellsbury has destroyed one  2010 season of zilch followed by 1 season in front of a returned to health for Pedroia and the addition of the true team MVP, AGon.

I don't care if Gonzo was the true MVP, as doubtful as that is.  Ellsbury was the best player in BB by objective criteria.  Winning the GG and SS if CF is unbelievably valuable.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In Response to Re: Your thoughts on Ryan Sweeney getting the starting job at RF:
    [QUOTE]We need to lower expectations on Sweeney - if you think he's an upgrade over Reddick, then what was the compensaton value for Andrew Bailey? Miles Head?  I think right now Sweeney is a decent stop-gap until Kalish is healthy and MLB-ready.  Sweeney is only 26, and was once a top prospect, so he could turn out to be a very pleasant surprise - but that's exactly what it should be, a surprise.   Overall, I'm not sure this team is any better offensively this year than last.  Yes, the OPS in RF with an Aviles / Sweeney platoon should be better, but that is only because of Drew's terrible performance.  I don't expect Aviles / Sweeney to be better than Reddick's .784 OPS, and I'm not sure Aviles has the tools to play 30% of the time, particularly at Fenway.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

It'll be DMac instead of Aviles in RF, assuming we don't upgrade to a better RH bat and/or fielder.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In Response to Re: Your thoughts on Ryan Sweeney getting the starting job at RF:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Your thoughts on Ryan Sweeney getting the starting job at RF : It'll be DMac instead of Aviles in RF, assuming we don't upgrade to a better RH bat and/or fielder.
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]

Defensively, the two are about a push in RF, and offensively against lefties, but Aviles is a big offensive upgrade over Punto should something happen to one of our infielders.  I'd stick with Aviles.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Depends on the price.  When the prices come down, we can target Oswalt or Saunders, or trade for someone like Volquez, who SD has to get rid of.  What's your opinion for our #4 or 5?  Wakefield again?

Oswalt and Saunders price come down to what? Your comment is meaningless. As for Volquez, the Red Sox don't need to trade young talent for some bum like Volquez.

I gave specific details on entire 40 man roster and amounts to offer 7 pitchers who were FA. Every one was nore more than 1 to 2M major or minor league contracts, and I specified the minor league contract profiles. Silva was one, Francis was one. 

My rotation depth chart, from what Inepstein locked on the books:

Beckett
    Lester
    Buch form the 40 million a year beer drinker brigade 

Aceves
    Bard  (1 should return to pen if ineffective after starting spring months)

1 MLB contract from 1 to 2M incentive offers for Francis and Webb and Harden
    1 minor league contract from Duchscherer 

Sylva
    Doubrant
    Miller
    Tazawa
    Wilson

Red Sox need to obtain star slugging RH OF this winter, I don't think Sweeney and 30 million on Crawford and Ellsbury is anything short of idiocy.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We need to lower expectations on Sweeney - if you think he's an upgrade over Reddick, then what was the compensaton value for Andrew Bailey? Miles Head? 

As hard as it is to view Sweeney and Bailey as "salary dumps", it was part of the reason the A's dealt them (upcoming arbs). Plus, you forgot the great Raul Alcantara, and the fact that Reddick is pre-arb for 2 more years and under team control for 5 more years.

It wouldn't surprise me that Sweeney has better numbers than Reddick in 2012, especially if you look at the park(s) they will be playing in.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

You have to throw someone out there, why not Sweeney? For some reason we keep sniffing around Oaklands dumpster. We do this because we tell ourselves we can find value here. Last season we thought we found value in a guy named Connor Jackson. At the time of his aquisition we learned he was on his managers list for minor league reassignment. Essentially he was the 25th player on the 25 man roster. A deal is struck and now C.J. is officially a member of the BRS. We send him over to Baseball OPPs for a little grooming, image enhancement, an get something like this....Plus arm, switch hitter etc.,etc.. We eagerly await his debut at about which time he promptly runs into the RF wall in Fenway. He hit that wall like a ton of bricks, full bore. Long story short, he played in some games late and was less than adequate.I don't know if he's still with the Sox or not.                                                                                        Now we go back down there ( to Oakland ) for more dealing and come away with the Bailey/Reddick scenario and while this wasn't a dumpster dive, the guy we're liking for our starting RF'er  is part of this deal. My way of evaluating this part of the deal is to look at who the RF'ers are in the ALE. Can this guy matchup with Swisher,Markakis, Bautista, Joyce/others ? It's doesn't show on his resume. Big disadvantage for RS if this is in fact how it plays out. No matter how you dress it up, this part of the deal stinks for us. As far as the  Bailey/Reddick part of the deal...You wonder why would  they bite now for Reddick when at the trading deadline they could get way more? Probably because they'd have to gamble that he'd be healthy and if not he'd be almost worthless. If Reddick lights it up in the first half Sox may not be that interested in dealing. So they went now for the salary dump and the value they placed on Reddick.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]We need to lower expectations on Sweeney - if you think he's an upgrade over Reddick, then what was the compensaton value for Andrew Bailey? Miles Head?  As hard as it is to view Sweeney and Bailey as "salary dumps", it was part of the reason the A's dealt them (upcoming arbs). Plus, you forgot the great Raul Alcantara, and the fact that Reddick is pre-arb for 2 more years and under team control for 5 more years. It wouldn't surprise me that Sweeney has better numbers than Reddick in 2012, especially if you look at the park(s) they will be playing in.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

The A's are dumping salary left and right, but you have to think that Bailey & Sweeney should be worth at least as much as Breslow & Cahill.  And for that, they received one of the top pitching prospects in the game in Parker, plus a possible top-100 guy in Cowgill.  I think that shows the A's have a pretty high opinion of Reddick.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

Sweeny in a platoon will be perfectly fine. The only reason to switch it up is if you find a way to bring in a top flight guy...or if they're sold on Cepedes.
    Other than that, right now they should be focusing on getting the best starters available. None of this "low cost pitching" BS

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

I dont know why people on this board are hating on sweeney. He is an excellent defender which is important when playing in fenway. In fact he is one of the best defensive outfielders in the mlb(especially for a corner outfielder). And considering what drew gave us offensively the last couple years, sweeney is a significant upgrade. He is not a huge power, but i think the potential to hit more homers is there especially since he wont be playing in oakland anymore. Just looking at his swing and his frame, i would say he is capable of hitting 15-20 homers. (also take into consideration that he will be playing in a much more hitter friendly park and in a deeper line up). Before last year, he hit .294 one season and .293 the other. Right now he is the clear cut starter with kalish injured. Darnel mcdonald should not even be mentioned as a possible starter. He is terrible. He is a brutal fielder and a below average hitter. The only reason he was even on the team last year was because he is right handed. The sox need to focus on pitching. Plain and simple. No way bard should be in the starting rotation, especially without jenks to take his place. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Not in love with this move at all. Way too left handed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

[QUOTE]We need to lower expectations on Sweeney - if you think he's an upgrade over Reddick, then what was the compensaton value for Andrew Bailey? Miles Head?  I think right now Sweeney is a decent stop-gap until Kalish is healthy and MLB-ready.  Sweeney is only 26, and was once a top prospect, so he could turn out to be a very pleasant surprise - but that's exactly what it should be, a surprise.   Overall, I'm not sure this team is any better offensively this year than last.  Yes, the OPS in RF with an Aviles / Sweeney platoon should be better, but that is only because of Drew's terrible performance.  I don't expect Aviles / Sweeney to be better than Reddick's .784 OPS, and I'm not sure Aviles has the tools to play 30% of the time, particularly at Fenway.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

Well put. Sweeney could be a nice surprise. Or just holding down the fort til Kalish is healthy and RS can finally see if he going to be that Trot type RF w/ a little more speed that many have envisioned. Have no problem w/ Aviles platoon to start year, no good RH hitting OF's available on FA market anyway, but trade deadline if need still exists might be able to get something done then. Or who knows maybe a Linares or someone emerges in the minors. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]I dont know why people on this board are hating on sweeney. He is an excellent defender which is important when playing in fenway. In fact he is one of the best defensive outfielders in the mlb(especially for a corner outfielder). And considering what drew gave us offensively the last couple years, sweeney is a significant upgrade. He is not a huge power, but i think the potential to hit more homers is there especially since he wont be playing in oakland anymore. Just looking at his swing and his frame, i would say he is capable of hitting 15-20 homers. (also take into consideration that he will be playing in a much more hitter friendly park and in a deeper line up). Before last year, he hit .294 one season and .293 the other. Right now he is the clear cut starter with kalish injured. Darnel mcdonald should not even be mentioned as a possible starter. He is terrible. He is a brutal fielder and a below average hitter. The only reason he was even on the team last year was because he is right handed. The sox need to focus on pitching. Plain and simple. No way bard should be in the starting rotation, especially without jenks to take his place. 
    Posted by redsoxpride34[/QUOTE]

JD Drew, in two of the worst offensive years of his career from 2010 - 2011 posted an OPS 13 points higher than Sweeney's career average.  In five years in the big leagues, Sweeney has a total of 14 home runs, and you think he will hit 15 - 20 next year alone.   It's just not realistic.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

Sweeney was obtained much more for his glove than for his bat.  His career UZR rating according to fangraphs is a more than respectable 9.2.  In 2009 he had an outstanding rating of 23 and in 07 with Chicago it was 18.  These 2 seasons are probably outliers but his rating in 2011 was a -6.5 which was likely also an abberation.

If he hits about .275 with a .340/.400/.740 line(realistic numbers considering he is moving to a much more hitter friendly park and his OPS was .720 coming into this offseason) we could do a great deal worse particularly if he is platooned with DMAC(or another low cost acquisition with a right handed stick who has good numbers against LHP) and sits against lefties.

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=6352&position=OF

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Your thoughts on Ryan Sweeney getting the starting job at RF : The A's are dumping salary left and right, but you have to think that Bailey & Sweeney should be worth at least as much as Breslow & Cahill.  And for that, they received one of the top pitching prospects in the game in Parker, plus a possible top-100 guy in Cowgill.  I think that shows the A's have a pretty high opinion of Reddick.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

I agree, but they also value losing salary and gaining years of team control. It's their longtime M.O.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from DeweyCBoston. Show DeweyCBoston's posts

Sorry to comment on this thread, I thought I read Soriano and I was amped up?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Sweeney will almost definitely see an OPS improvement from being in Oakland. He hits a lot more to LF which will help him a lot in Fenway. He can cover us defensively and that is extremely important in Fenway's RF also. He's still relatively cheap. 

I still have huge concerns about Bailey's health. Are there any relievers in baseball we should be more concerned about? 3 problems related to his elbow ...so far in his short career. That was a huge factor in this deal. The Sox will be lucky to get one good year of performance out of him.

And Moon is right. This was a salary dump for Oakland. They are pinching pennies until they move to San Jose. Having driven through Oakland the other day it doesn't surprise me at all.  

I'm sorry to see Reddick go. I like his style of play. His overall story. I was rooting for him. I wish him and his family nothing but the best. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]Sweeney will almost definitely see an OPS improvement from being in Oakland. He hits a lot more to LF which will help him a lot in Fenway. He can cover us defensively and that is extremely important in Fenway's RF also. He's still relatively cheap.  I still have huge concerns about Bailey's health. Are there any relievers in baseball we should be more concerned about? 3 problems related to his elbow ...so far in his short career. That was a huge factor in this deal. The Sox will be lucky to get one good year of performance out of him. And Moon is right. This was a salary dump for Oakland. They are pinching pennies until they move to San Jose. Having driven through Oakland the other day it doesn't surprise me at all.   I'm sorry to see Reddick go. I like his style of play. His overall story. I was rooting for him. I wish him and his family nothing but the best. 
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom[/QUOTE]

Solid post, boom.

I am worried about Bailey's health.

If Bard and Aceves both go to teh rotation, can they seamlessly transition back if needed?

This will be hard to replicate: 
                      (IP     ERA    WHIP in 2011)
    Papelbon  64.1  2.94   0.933
    D. Bard      73.0  3.33  0.959
    Aceves      93.0  2.03  1.000

That's over 230 IP of premiere relief pitching that will need to be accounted for one way or another. 
    (Better starters? Deeper pen? Better fielding? Better hitting? Better coaching? etc...)