Your thoughts on Selig deciding Theo compensation

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Re: Your thoughts on Selig deciding Theo compensation

In Response to Re: Your thoughts on Selig deciding Theo compensation:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Your thoughts on Selig deciding Theo compensation : Not expecting Garza type compensation, but believe it will more than some non descript A player who may never make it to AA. We are talking about a GM who won more WS titles than the Yanks during his tenure, and thats saying something considering they didn't win a single in the 86 yrs prior.
    Posted by garyhow[/QUOTE]

Gary - I do not think 2004 and 2007 will come into play here. Based on so much that I have read on this forum alone over the last 5 years, most say that Theo alone should not get the credit and that it must be shared with others in the F.O. Also, as we have seen with players, teams will also say, "what have you done lately". And that will not be helpful to the Sox. That being said, I think it will be an A player of some significant value; possibly AA. But it will not be a Tier 1 prospect; nor will it be a player who will have an impact on Sox baseball for several years. Some suggest that the Cubs may take on unwanted salary from the Sox - I guess that is possible as well.

I have a feeling they are discussing a trade of some type which will incorporate the compensation. But I do not believe it will include Garza.

Also, and using your example - I do not believe the Yanks would get much of anything for Cashman and he has been the GM for 4 championships. More than the Sox have won in 92 years Tongue out

Just busting them on that last comment.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

In Response to Re: Your thoughts on Selig deciding Theo compensation : A field manager will always be worth more to another team than a F.O. Executive.
    Posted by jesseyeric

I respect your opinion and you very well might be right, but I just can't imagine that a manager is worth more in a trade than a president of an organization...

How could a coach be worth more than the guy who hires him? Just doesn't make sense...

If that is true though, baseball is so bass ackwards its ridiculous...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to Re: Your thoughts on Selig deciding Theo compensation : Not expecting Garza type compensation, but believe it will more than some non descript A player who may never make it to AA. We are talking about a GM who won more WS titles than the Yanks during his tenure, and thats saying something considering they didn't win a single in the 86 yrs prior.
    Posted by garyhow

Andy MacPhail marshaled the Twins to two World Series titles (the franchise's first since 1924) before MacPhail left the Minnesota general manager post in 1994 to become president and CEO of the Chicago Cubs at age 42.

That's an awfully close comp.

The compensation for MacPhail was 21-year-old High A pitching prospect Hector Trinidad, who never advanced beyond the Triple A level:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=trinid001hec

The Red Sox would be fortunate to get better compensation for Theo Epstein.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: Your thoughts on Selig deciding Theo compensation : I respect your opinion and you very well might be right, but I just can't imagine that a manager is worth more in a trade than a president of an organization... How could a coach be worth more than the guy who hires him? Just doesn't make sense... If that is true though, baseball is so bass ackwards its ridiculous...
    Posted by mannyortez3424

Just because one is another's boss doesn't mean much in baseball. Precedents have been set in both situations and I do not think they will move far off what had been done in previous years.

In real life, I can tell you that so many companies have so many V.P's but they are a dime a dozen. But you take a mid-level manager out of the picture and daily operations can be affected for a longer period of time.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Cash is always nice.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtDawgSox. Show DirtDawgSox's posts

It is hard to know what exactly happened with this non-sense but clearly MLB messed up by letting it drag on for months. The Red Sox shouldn't have let Theo walk on a "good faith" offer or handshake agreement of compensation but really to me it goes back to Selig, if compensation is in fact owed Selig shouldn't have let the deal be completed until compensation was settled.
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards

You are saying exactly what I have been thinking about this whole mess....mess, that is what it is. This was caused by the Sox letting Theo walk on a "good faith" offer. That was so ridiculous. It does go back to Selig as the commissioner. He is not the great leader at all.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheRedStain. Show TheRedStain's posts

Despite the trolls on this board insisting all things Red Sox are bogus, these facts are known:
    1) The Red Sox demand for "substantial compensation - something of value" was agree to.
    2) Theo was the most sought-after GM in either league at the time. He has the "curse-breaker" on his resume - and was sought after because of it. Isn't he now the highest paid President in the League?
    3) When Wacky Oswaldo Guillen was raided by the Marlins, with a year on his contract, the Cubs were awarded the #3 and #7 prospect from a weak talent pool.
    4) A "President of Baseball Operations" is well above a GM in the chain of command - perhaps worth twice the compensation. This can be gauged by pay scale.

Therefore, the Red Sox are entitled to something "substantial" - my demand would be 2 top prospects, one a pitcher and one a hitter - or their most coveted top prospect. If a Garza deal is desired, then Boston pays half of his value. Something along those lines seems fair. Get it done!

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Despite the trolls on this board insisting all things Red Sox are bogus, these facts are known: 1) The Red Sox demand for "substantial compensation - something of value" was agree to. 2) Theo was the most sought-after GM in either league at the time. He has the "curse-breaker" on his resume - and was sought after because of it. Isn't he now the highest paid President in the League? 3) When Wacky Oswaldo Guillen was raided by the Marlins, with a year on his contract, the Cubs were awarded the #3 and #7 prospect from a weak talent pool. 4) A "President of Baseball Operations" is well above a GM in the chain of command - perhaps worth twice the compensation. This can be gauged by pay scale. Therefore, the Red Sox are entitled to something "substantial" - my demand would be 2 top prospects, one a pitcher and one a hitter - or their most coveted top prospect. If a Garza deal is desired, then Boston pays half of his value. Something along those lines seems fair. Get it done!
    Posted by TheRedStain

According to a joint statement issued in October, the Cubs and Red Sox agreed to "appropriate" compensation, not "substantial" or "significant" compensation:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7133082/theo-epstein-leaves-boston-red-sox-chicago-cubs?eleven=twelve

Compensation commensurate with the 1994 compensation for Andy MacPhail would seem "appropriate."

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Well, if Bud has it in his court, let's hope he gets it done before his next contract renewal.

Why is he still Commissioner?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

In theory, how could Ben and Theo hash out appropriate compensation when there is built in inherent conflict.

Theo is a lawyer, its called precedence.

Selig should make the compensation too great that any other teams will raid talent from other teams...

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Why is he still Commissioner? it's a long read jessey but here's part of it You can't overstate Selig's importance It was on his watch that baseball suffered through the worst work stoppage in sports history, not only wiping out the final 40 games of the 1994 season, but also the 1994 postseason, and 20 games of 1995. Out of the mess, however, came a realization on the part of the owners and the Major League Baseball Players Association of the damage they had done, and now it is baseball that has enjoyed longer labor peace than any other sport; the sides recently agreed on a Basic Agreement extension that ranges through the 2016 season, assuring the game of more than two decades of labor peace. While he did not move quickly enough to appease everyone, it was under his watch that baseball has adopted the most stringent drug-testing program in team sports. Selig was able to do it because it was actually members of the MLBPA who put the pressure on their leadership to accept the testing program. On his watch, not only has baseball enjoyed record-setting revenues, and developed a Web presence and its own television network that has become the envy of the other sports, but also adopted a revenue-sharing plan. A traditionalist, he pushed for the creation of interleague play, a realignment of leagues into three divisions, the addition of at least one wild-card (with a chance of a second) and the use of instant replay initially to affirm home run calls. He has been on the job ever since taking it on an interim basis back in September 1992, assuming the job on a permanent basis six years later, and receiving extension in 2001, 2004, 2008 and again this week. When his new extension expires at the end of the 2014 season, he will have spent 22 years on the job, longer than any man has been commissioner other than Landis, who spent 25 years helping baseball overcome the blight created by the gambling scandals that included the 1919 World Series. Impressive company. But then again, Selig has done an impressive job. that article doesn't even touch all  of positive things he has done if you need more info   as to why he's still the comish just ask
    Posted by pinstripezac

Still don't like him. I think he knew about the roids way back when but didn't want to risk the wrath of the owners by saying something then. Baseball was raking it in with Mcguire, Sosa and Bonds and why should he throw a monkey wrench into that. Just my opinion. And to be honest, can't say I was too thrilled with his appointment of you know who to lead the PED investigation.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

Still don't like him. I think he knew about the roids way back when but didn't want to risk the wrath of the owners by saying something then. Baseball was raking it in with Mcguire, Sosa and Bonds and why should he throw a monkey wrench into that. Just my opinion. And to be honest, can't say I was too thrilled with his appointment of you know who to lead the PED investigation jessey don't you think this had anything to do with him   not making a hard stand at that time I believe he tried and backed off It was on his watch that baseball suffered through the worst work stoppage in sports history, not only wiping out the final 40 games of the 1994 season, but also the 1994 postseason, and 20 games of 1995. BB was hurting back then what would another work stoppage done to it   there was no trust between the owners and union back then no way the players would have agreed to testing without things getting ugly here's marvin miller still fighting last nov Marvin Miller doesn't know why the players agreed to HGH testing look whats going on now with the sox & yanks it looks like he accomplished the impossible he more or less just snuck a salary cap past the union
    Posted by pinstripezac
    Did you receive my email Zac?

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

no, was kinda disappointed
    Posted by pinstripezac
    I sent it right after you shared your address with me. I included mine in case you wanted to respond back. I did it off of the link you provided so I don't have it any longer.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

Thanks again Zac. I really am thankful you are interested enough to hear what I have to say.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Thanks again Zac. I really am thankful you are interested enough to hear what I have to say.
    Posted by Hingham Hammer

You do realize that this is going to put you on Kim's sh*t list. Afterall, Zac is a very bad man.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

test

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Good post JBay. I had thought that they might work out a reduced trade for Garza as compensation sending a couple of minor leaguers to the Cubs but now I realize I was wrong. You are right they got srewed might as well just get it done. response to "Re: Your thoughts on Selig deciding Theo compensation":
    Apparently the Sox think Theo's worth more than he does. This needs to be resolved, it's dragged on long enough. Get it done and move on. Posted by J-BAY

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to "Re: Your thoughts on Selig deciding Theo compensation":
    Apparently the Sox think Theo's worth more than he does. This needs to be resolved, it's dragged on long enough. Get it done and move on. Posted by J-BAY
    Which is exactly why the Cubs have dragged it out. They know everyone will get sick of dealing with it, and we'll end up with less out of the deal. The Sox should never have let him go without solving this first. Who on the forum didn't see this coming when Theo was let go w/o compensation in place? (cricket sounds) Yip, just as I thought.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to "Re: Your thoughts on Selig deciding Theo compensation":
    In Response to Re: Your thoughts on Selig deciding Theo compensation : You do realize that this is going to put you on Kim's sh*t list. Afterall, Zac is a very bad man. Posted by jesseyeric
    I'm on that list for cracking a joke to Zac that she thought was about her. It wasn't.

Sections
Shortcuts