Yu Darvish could be bringing his big-time arm to the major leagues /the Red Sox should try to get him

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Yu Darvish could be bringing his big-time arm to the major leagues /the Red Sox should try to get him

I think the Sox should avoid posting 50 mil.  And, that or more will probably be what it takes.  But, if they could scoop him up for say 25, I am all for the risk in this particular case.  Yu is no Daisuke.  He is an absolute beast.  And his mental makeup seems well-suited to life in the majors/America.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxfanatik-VA. Show Soxfanatik-VA's posts

Re: Yu Darvish could be bringing his big-time arm to the major leagues /the Red Sox should try to get him

Posting fee does not go against luxury tax, so Sox will have interest.  They'd get a #4 or #5 guy with upside without a huge luxury tax hit.  Dice K will be back mid seasonish, so you might have some cultural benefit (maybe not). 

Finally the only reason to compare him to Dice K or other Japanese players in not because he is Japanese, but because they have similar career arcs.  There is not a lot of good predictive data to work with. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Yu Darvish is half-Iranian. That could be a political nightmare.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackyldo. Show jackyldo's posts

In Response to Re: Yu Darvish could be bringing his big-time arm to the major leagues /the Red Sox should try to get him:
    [QUOTE]Darvish is Not Daisuke from fangraphs
    Posted by bald-predictions[/QUOTE]

Your right his father was an Iranian Ex Pat  who spent his teen years playing soccer in Western  Mass. He went toEckerd College in St. Pete Fl. where he met and married Yu's mother.

Yu is a very thin 195 on a 6 foot  5 frame .. Not all Japanese pitchers look alike.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackyldo. Show jackyldo's posts

In Response to Re: Yu Darvish could be bringing his big-time arm to the major leagues /the Red Sox should try to get him:
    [QUOTE]It is more likely Boston is going to stay away on this one.  Boston already have too many risky contracts on the roster (Dice K, Lackey, Bucholtz, Crawford, Youkilis, and soon to be Ellsbury).   If Boston want to be a spender via free agency, go after Pujols or Prince where we all know one of this guy will be a huge factor in the offense line up.  
    Posted by GoUconn13[/QUOTE]

I believe  the Lackey and Dice K contracts are insured and there is no out of pocket for Sox if they don't pitch.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Yu Darvish could be bringing his big-time arm to the major leagues /the Red Sox should try to get him : I'm thinking diceK is  probably 50 -80 % covered zero for lackey whose condition was pre existing and most likely not covered
    Posted by pinstripezac[/QUOTE]

Which is probably why they added the team option for the league minimum as protection should his elbow cost him significant time...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]Of course the posting fee is ridiculous.  And so, the cost prohibitive.  But, if you have seen Darvish pitch, you know he is not the smoke and mirrors of Matsuzaka and other supposed Japanese "can't misses".  It is not just about his success in the Japanese leagues or in international play.  The dude is a moster physically.  6'5" and his lankiness turning solid as a rock.  He throws mid nineties and up with relaxed ease, and his stuff is just naaaaasty, and his mental make-up is very different than matsuzaka.  He is not an "artist", though he has enough pitches to be considered as such.  He goes and gits it.  I agree with all of you who are reticent to want the Sox to throw the kind of money that a pitcher of Darvish's calibre + the ludicrous posting fee.  But, I am on record here saying, in my best scout's assurance, that yu Darvish is no Matsuaka/Igawa/etc.  This dude is going to be good in the majors.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

Space,
    The question with Darvish is does he have a put away pitch...Matusaka had 5 plus pitches but lacked one true swing and miss "out pitch" to put guys away when he got ahead, hence his propensity to nibble.

For the record, Matsuska was good, Igawa was awful. Darvish might well be a legit big league pitcher. So before I buy into the hype and annoint him the next big thing. I'd like to see him pitch to big league hitters using a big league ball...

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/23/sports/baseball/japans-standardized-baseballs-are-popular-with-pitchers.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

If he had a windup like Luis Tiant, we could call him a "Whirling Darvish".  Maybe that term could be reserved for one of his nasty breaking pitches. 

As it is, we'll just call him by his name, Yu, which should set off an onslaught of bad Abbott and Costello routines. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Like "Hey Yu!"

Yu's pitching.

I ain't.

Yu's too.

No, I'm 52.

No Yu!

Me?

No Yu!

Who?

NOOoooooo! Yu!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Like "Hey Yu!"

http://youtu.be/gELhNbDcLE0

and

http://youtu.be/oAh5cQdq6QY

Yu's too.

http://youtu.be/4_bqARauWZw

It never ends.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Yu Darvish could be bringing his big-time arm to the major leagues /the Red Sox should try to get him : Space, The question with Darvish is does he have a put away pitch...Matusaka had 5 plus pitches but lacked one true swing and miss "out pitch" to put guys away when he got ahead, hence his propensity to nibble. For the record, Matsuska was good, Igawa was awful. Darvish might well be a legit big league pitcher. So before I buy into the hype and annoint him the next big thing. I'd like to see him pitch to big league hitters using a big league ball... http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/23/sports/baseball/japans-standardized-baseballs-are-popular-with-pitchers.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]

No doubt Beane.  It is a risky proposition when assessing the ability of a guy who has never faced MLB-calibre hitters and, as you point out, has never even gripped the same baseball.  I am just saying, what I see in the large sample of video I have seen on Darvish, his pitching strikes me as different from Matsuzaka and his 5 "out" pitches.  First and foremost, he has much more life on his clearly faster fastball.  Part of Dice's issues in the bigs has come from the fact that his heat, while devastating when properly set-up, has to be carefully timed.  Guys have feasted on his cheese when they know it is coming.  I don't think that would be the case with Yu.  Looks much harder to square up.  Again, total amateur scotuing report on video.  But, looks different to me than Matsuzaka's video from his Japanese Leagues days.  Also, he has more "snap" on his breaking stuff.  And, to boot, his style is diamterically opposed to Matsuzaka's.  He is an attacker, not a painter.  This could prove disasterous of course.  But, Spaceman's scouting report says, ludicrous posting fees aside, take the flyer on this guy.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

With the posting fee, he will be insanely expensive.

I mean, if JH feels the need to demonstrate his commitment to the franchise and he wants to spend the money, who are we to argue?

Those 6'5" (and taller) dudes tend to be good pitchers. (See 'McDowell, Sam' and 'Johnson, Randy.') 

From what Cherington said the other day, I would doubt that we will see him in a BOS uniform anytime soon.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Yu Darvish could be bringing his big-time arm to the major leagues /the Red Sox should try to get him : No doubt Beane.  It is a risky proposition when assessing the ability of a guy who has never faced MLB-calibre hitters and, as you point out, has never even gripped the same baseball.  I am just saying, what I see in the large sample of video I have seen on Darvish, his pitching strikes me as different from Matsuzaka and his 5 "out" pitches.  First and foremost, he has much more life on his clearly faster fastball.  Part of Dice's issues in the bigs has come from the fact that his heat, while devastating when properly set-up, has to be carefully timed.  Guys have feasted on his cheese when they know it is coming.  I don't think that would be the case with Yu.  Looks much harder to square up.  Again, total amateur scotuing report on video.  But, looks different to me than Matsuzaka's video from his Japanese Leagues days.  Also, he has more "snap" on his breaking stuff.  And, to boot, his style is diamterically opposed to Matsuzaka's.  He is an attacker, not a painter.  This could prove disasterous of course.  But, Spaceman's scouting report says, ludicrous posting fees aside, take the flyer on this guy.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

Space.....I agree that Dice had an issue because he was a painter, but his biggest issue to me was his stubbornness not to change. When he was in Japan, he was sucha legend I am sure he got off the plate strikes alot(ala Maddox here)....in the US he was not getting those pitches from the Umps....and he just refused to ever change....he has the ability, the ball movement and the repertoire to be able to challenge hitters more and that is borne out by his stats when the bases are loaded.....but he stubbronly refused to change the way he pitched.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Yu Darvish could be bringing his big-time arm to the major leagues /the Red Sox should try to get him : Space.....I agree that Dice had an issue because he was a painter, but his biggest issue to me was his stubbornness not to change. When he was in Japan, he was sucha legend I am sure he got off the plate strikes alot(ala Maddox here)....in the US he was not getting those pitches from the Umps....and he just refused to ever change....he has the ability, the ball movement and the repertoire to be able to challenge hitters more and that is borne out by his stats when the bases are loaded.....but he stubbronly refused to change the way he pitched.
    Posted by tomnev[/QUOTE]

Yeah, for sure.  But, I think part of the "stubborness" was the cold hard reality of facing major league hitting:  if your fastball dont jump, you better be a painter of Picasso magnitude.  Matsuzaka was not that.  I think he is mislabeled as a "painter".  Greg Maddox was a painter.  Dice never had that kind of control.  What I think he relied on in Japan was keeping hitters off-balance with his array of pitches.  This works best when fastball is effective to set other pitches off.  Dice's heat was good enough for Japan but not good enough for the majors.  The painter label is not quite right, though i used to use that term in reference to Daisuke myself.  But a painter is not a swing-and-miss guy.  A painter is a guy who throws only to the black where a guy can't make good contact.  by definition, a painter pitches to contact.  Dice is not that guy.  He is a swing and miss guy who relies on keeping guys off-balance.  Can't do that without serious cheese.  Looks to me like Darvish has MLB worthy cheese.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

The size of the ball does make a difference, but DiceK did win a World Series with the Sox and had one very good season.  He is stubborn and talented ... and we have him on the team when he comes off the injured list next summer.   

What if DiceK comes back to his "better" self, and pitches 6 innings/ERA of around 3.5?   Do the Sox sign him again?  

Darvish is an enormous gamble.   It is tough enough guessing whether pitchers will do well crossing leagues, let alone continents.   I say leave that one alone ... get a proven workhorse for our #4 starter.  

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

[QUOTE]Hal Steinbrenner said Wednesday that the Igawa disaster wouldn’t stop the Yankees from signing another Japanese pitcher if that’s the move they believe makes the most sense. “Every person is different; every player is different,” Steinbrenner said. “We’re going to look at every single one. We’re going to look at every single option, and we’re going to analyze it. It will be a go or no-go, but we look at each person as an individual.” I think the Sox should seriously consider going after Yu Darvish.
    Posted by 2004Idiots[/QUOTE]

The Sox should seriously consider Darvish if they really want him, not because the Yankees may be interested in him. It may not matter anyway unless he is actually posted for this season.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Yu Darvish could be bringing his big-time arm to the major leagues /the Red Sox should try to get him :  The bloom is off this rose hopefully. The sucesses are few, and the costs don't line up to the risk. Other than Ichiro, who would you sign? Godzilla was past his prime, and someone else mentioned Nomo. Yet they have been importing players for 60 years! Canada is more fertile, heck, spend some money in Vermont, and in a few years you could have a freakin all star team to beat Japan in the WBC.
    Posted by YOUKILLUS20[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. Mostly because I don't get the "talking fees" of $50 million. If they get that kind of money just to have a conversation, then players here should get that kind of money just to have a conversation. I would say the same if players here were getting it, and players from Japan weren't. I think there should be more of a level playing field when it comes to players.

Having said that, both of his parents lived here and now live there so that's a $50 million increase to get him. Just backs up what I'm saying. It's ridiculous.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Yu Darvish could be bringing his big-time arm to the major leagues /the Red Sox should try to get him : Which is probably why they added the team option for the league minimum as protection should his elbow cost him significant time...
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]

Is there anything that "google Zac" posts that you actually miss? I've never seen it. Oh, wait, the abusive pics of me he puts up you miss. My bad.

23. This post has been removed.