Yu Darvish to be posted.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mikial. Show Mikial's posts

Yu Darvish to be posted.

Thoughts? I say take a chance. http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/12/yu-darvish-to-be-posted-tomorrow.html

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

Re: Yu Darvish to be posted.

ya we need to throw down a huge bid. the sox will easily make back whatever they pay for darvish's posting fee due to their popularity in the asian market. i would absolutely take a shot on him without even thinking twice about it. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from stodknocker. Show stodknocker's posts

I would definitely take a stab at him. Given Bobby V's background with Japanese players and the infastructure in place from Dice-k it would seem like a no brainer. We need quality pitching and this guy could be it!

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

pinstripezac think about all the money the sox would make from yu darvish memorabilia, etc. that would easily cover what they paid for his posting fee. i can guarantee u the sox made back the 50 mill they spent on dice k's posting fee. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Posting fee does not count towards CBT. Assuming Darvish can pitch upper tier MLB for 2 or 3 years, Red Sox should expense the posting fee and amortize it over years of contract. Valentine's Japan resume is a nice backdrop.

Yankees are trying to dump Burnett, but I doubt anyone will take him unless Yankees agree to pay nearly 100% of remaining debt on Burnett. So I expect they will be interested in Darvish. Igawa debacle is just a few dollars for NY. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

100%.  I realise it's an out pitch highlight film, but look at the ease of his motion, movement on his pitches, diversity of his pitches....ERA down to 1.44 this year...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIUeoBrqjHk

...and for the racists among us, he's only half Japanese (oops, the other half is Iranian, even worse!).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Also, as a boy many years ago I used to think "what is a 'Ham Fighter'".

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In Response to Re: Yu Darvish to be posted.:
    [QUOTE]pinstripezac think about all the money the sox would make from yu darvish memorabilia, etc. that would easily cover what they paid for his posting fee. i can guarantee u the sox made back the 50 mill they spent on dice k's posting fee. 
    Posted by redsoxpride34[/QUOTE]

You guarantee?  I love guarantees!  What's not to love about guarantees, they're guaranteed!

BTW, while I guarantee to other posters your guarantee is guaranteed, it would be helpful if you gave some examples/evidence of the Sox' recovery of their posting fee through merchandising.

I guarantee it would look like ignorant, internet BS if you didn't provide such evidence.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

I think kicking the tires is certainly warrented, especially with Valentine being almost fluent in Japanese and Dice K possibly rejoining the rotation in August. The buzz would certainly be huge in Japan and could also give us a leg up when competing for other Japanese players. I also noted with interest Valentine's recent visit to Japan. Interesting........

In Response to Yu Darvish to be posted.:
    [QUOTE]Thoughts? I say take a chance. http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/12/yu-darvish-to-be-posted-tomorrow.html
    Posted by Mikial[/QUOTE]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

winning the bid on Darvish will be the best move made this offseason by BC if that ever happens.  Darvish will command very tough competition and cost more than Dice-K.  There will be many team involved in bidding but I think only few teams have real chance.  Yankees, RS, Rangers, O's, Blue Jays, Marlins, and surprising Giants are my guesses.  And it's going to be a war among Yanks, RS, Rangers and Jays. 
    If Sox don't make any impact moves until Darvish is posted, I expect Sox to push very hard on him and actually winning the bid over Yanks and overpay the guy.  But I also would think he will be worth every penny we spend.  The kid is young, has alot of talent, his body figure is perfect as a starting pitcher. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Agree with these posters that more Japanese/other Asian countries spend on MLB merchandises, it may help Boston a bit, but more toward to the small market teams due of MLB revenue sharing.

I do not think it matter that much if Boston bid on Darvish or not.  Only thing that may help Boston is these Japanese of the Boston areas where they can turn on their TV to watch Red Sox games via NESN, go to the game, spend $$$ at Bars/Vendors/etc around the Fenway Park, etc.  

But it may be the same Japanese people watching Dice K/other Red Sox Japanese players.  So I strongly think it may not increase that much if Darvish is added to the roster!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

You know Darvish came from Iranian/Japanese.  I expect a lot of Iranians to watch the game as well....

The point is the kid got skills to be a star in this league.  Baseball fans watch their teams' games not because of nationality.  It is just a small part of a big picture.   Darvish will draw many fans to watch the games. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

[QUOTE Yankees are trying to dump Burnett, but I doubt anyone will take him unless Yankees agree to pay nearly 100% of remaining debt on Burnett. So I expect they will be interested in Darvish. Igawa debacle is just a few dollars for NY. 
    Posted by hankwilliams[/QUOTE]

I agree. I seriously doubt any team would have an interest in Burnett. It would be like if we tried to trade Lackey, it just won't happen.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonGlory. Show BostonGlory's posts

This is DEFINITELY a risk the Red Sox should take. Remember that Dice-K had a couple "good" years in Boston before his arm fell off and MLB hitters figured him out, so Yu Darvish would certainly help solidify the Sox rotation in 2012. He would also have Dice-K and Junichi Tazawa to help mentor him. And it sure beats going with a patchwork rotation of Andrew Millers, Kyle Weilands and Tim Wakefields that would almost certainly require converting Daniel Bard and sacraficing the bullpen ("closer by committee" = 20+ losses when leading after 7). Most importantly, THE POSTING FEE DOES NOT COUNT AGAINST THE SALARY CAP. So John Henry and Larry Lucchino really have NO EXCUSE for not going "all in" here. I'm not saying they post $50 million (like they did with Dice-K), but if the Yankees get him with a $20-$25 million posting bid then the Red Sox didn't do enough to top it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]ya we need to throw down a huge bid. the sox will easily make back whatever they pay for darvish's posting fee due to their popularity in the asian market. i would absolutely take a shot on him without even thinking twice about it. 
    Posted by redsoxpride34[/QUOTE]

Really? Just like the return on investment they got with DiceK.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Yu Darvish to be posted. : [QUOTE Yankees are trying to dump Burnett, but I doubt anyone will take him unless Yankees agree to pay nearly 100% of remaining debt on Burnett. So I expect they will be interested in Darvish. Igawa debacle is just a few dollars for NY.  Posted by hankwilliams[/QUOTE] I agree. I seriously doubt any team would have an interest in Burnett. It would be like if we tried to trade Lackey, it just won't happen.
    Posted by jrh1194[/QUOTE]

But the only way these teams would take Burkett if the Yankees eat up most of his salary.  Eating up only 8 million dollars out of 33 millions dollars by the Yankees will never attact any team.    Plus there are teams that already signed free agent pitchers such as Buerhle, soon to be Wilson, Oswalt, Papelbon, Bell, etc.  Now who is left that want to spend money on pitchings.  

Yankees just pick the wrong time to send message to everyone that Burkett is now available.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Please present your reasons why the Red Sox should spend a lot of money on Darvish?  I'm having deja vu from the DiceK situation 6 years ago.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Does the posting fee in any way affect the luxury tax threshhold?  If not, then bidding is a way to acquire a pitcher who by most accounts is a middle-of-the-rotation guy.  I think Dice-K may give the Sox second thoughts, but if there is a guy who knows how to handle Japanese players/pitchers it's Valentine.    

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Yu Darvish to be posted. : I agree. I seriously doubt any team would have an interest in Burnett. It would be like if we tried to trade Lackey, it just won't happen. Posted by jrh1194[/QUOTE] But the only way these teams would take Burkett if the Yankees eat up most of his salary.  Eating up only 8 million dollars out of 33 millions dollars by the Yankees will never attact any team.    Plus there are teams that already signed free agent pitchers such as Buerhle, soon to be Wilson, Oswalt, Papelbon, Bell, etc.  Now who is left that want to spend money on pitchings.   Yankees just pick the wrong time to send message to everyone that Burkett is now available.  
    Posted by GoUconn13[/QUOTE]

Based on the last 2 seasons, I don't see any team that would want Burnett. Even if the Yankees pick up a large portion of his contract. He just didn't perform for them.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

[QUOTE]Please present your reasons why the Red Sox should spend a lot of money on Darvish?  I'm having deja vu from the DiceK situation 6 years ago.
    Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]

Why don't you present your reasons that Darvish will follow Dice-K's path?

Darvish has 7 yrs professional experience and he just turned 25, he has international experience, numerous awards in respected NPB league, 93-38 carerer wins & losses (that's 71% winning percentage), career ERA of 1.99 (total 7 yrs) I can go on and on...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Could be interesting...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Yu Darvish to be posted. : Why don't you present your reasons that Darvish will follow Dice-K's path? Darvish has 7 yrs professional experience and he just turned 25, he has international experience, numerous awards in respected NPB league, 93-38 carerer wins & losses (that's 71% winning percentage), career ERA of 1.99 (total 7 yrs) I can go on and on...
    Posted by seannybboi[/QUOTE]

Answer: None of the 'great' pitchers that have come over from Japan have been anything more than mediocre and serviceable. Kei Igawa, Hideki Irabu, DiceK, Hideo Nomo, etc.

Also, they throw 200+ innings per year starting at age 17/18. They are shot by the time they hit 30.

Lastly, the hitters in Japan are no where near what is faced in MLB.  Their best hitter is the MLB's worst. Matt Murton was one of the best hitters in Japan, yet he was a bust in MLB with the Cubs and A's.

Sections
Shortcuts