Yu Darvish

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Re: Yu Darvish

can anyone name a Japanese pitcher that was really good.  Excuse me let me rephrase that, can anyone name a Japanese pitcher that was really good for more than a year or two???

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

Another lame defense...you're right Hugh-he's probably going to be bad because he's from Japan.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In Response to Re: Yu Darvish:
    [QUOTE]Another lame defense...you're right Hugh-he's probably going to be bad because he's from Japan.
    Posted by TitleTown11[/QUOTE]

ummm I wasn't really being serious. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

It is certainly reasonable to be skeptical of Can't Miss Japanese pitchers.  But, though I am no scout, when i see Darvish pitch, I see more than the smoke and mirrors of a pitcher's dominant performance in the Japanese leagues, or vs. amateurs.  I see a serious hoss with a major league arm, body, and stuff that is just plain filthy, nasty, and totally overpowering.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Two things that I like from watching the you tube video....it looks like he has a 10-12 mph difference between is Fastball and Slider...and though he is thin, he has pitchers thick thighs.....something that always bodes wells for guys having stamina and pitching deep inot games.....Tom Seaver like.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Here's my take on Wilson v Darvish...

Wilson although he is currently the Rangers #1 to me is a middle of the rotation starter, who still is learning to be a big league starter after closing and working out of the pen pre 2010...He's a comfortable at bat with a low 90's fastball. Who pitches to contact and IMHO doesn't posses a put away pitch vs righties. Relying on contact using his cutter and slider combo to set up his two seam fastball away...IMHO if he can figure out how to command the circle change away, thrown on the same down ward plane as his two seamer to the catcher glove side, ideally 10 MHP in "low 80's" along with his mid 80's slider and high 80's cutter his upside is that of Mark Buerhle. Today I'd compare him more to Ted Lilly.

Darvish as of today has not shown that he can get out big league hitters. Which given the cost of aquisition is no small matter. Thus signing him would be even more of a risk/reward than when we signed Matusaka. Becasue we at least got to see him in the World Games where he dominated big league lineups on his way to the tournanment MVP previuos to signing him in 2006.

I tend to be of the mind that when talking about pitchers that learned thier craft in Japan you have to keep in mind that they use a different ball (lighter with higher seams) and as rule Japanese professional starters are only asked to pitch every 6 days. Not to mention the cultural issues that are less of an issue today then years ago due to the number of players and the support sytem teams ahve in place now...In terms of his top end velocity and how he commands his secondary stuff...Before i'd even consider making him an offer I would want to see him do a couple of extended bullpens and a simulated game throwing to my catcher facing big league hitters with my organizations best scouts and pitching coaches on hand to witness the session. One where he threw 75 to 100 pitches using a big league ball to confirm his top end velocity and his ability to maintain his command and velocity for 100 pitches...

End of the day if I had to chose between the two, given what he have today. I make a play for Wilson...the 2012 and 2013 Red Sox need another proven veteran...we already have two highly touted pitching prospects in Ranaundo and Barnes and I see Darvish at 24 as being a project that has the upside of an ace Matsuska but more importantly the downside of Kei Igawa...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxkid4life. Show bosoxkid4life's posts

I completely agree with you Space.

One thing I think people should concider is his demeanor. As I'm sure alot of you guys know he is an Iranian, Japanese mix (wow, i'm talking about him like he's a dog) so if you guys are worried about him being just another run of the mill Japanese pitcher, you might be mistakened. From what I've read he's kind of a japanese bad boy, which by our standards makes him about average. He love's the spot light, loves the attention, and is pretty intense. That isn't something i've seen from other japanese players, but i feel it would fit really well with our big market atmosphere. If you look at his videos, aside from amazing stuff, you will see him pump his fist, scream and get all hyped up over strikeouts. Tell me the last time you saw dice-K walk of the mound with anything more than a stoic look on his face. Now clearly his intensity won't make him a can't miss MLB starter, but i'm guessing he's willing to be far more aggresive and go after hitters far more than dice k ever did. Asside from electric stuff, he's younger, has far less innings on his arm than dice k, and i'm pretty sure Darvish's career numbers are better than dice-k's best year. check it out ( http://sonsofsamhorn.net/topic/68893-whirling-darvish/ ).

I have a feeling the Sox might be timid to make the same high risk, high reward posting as dice-k, but if I were Ben Cherrington I would make a strong posting offer

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

it seems to only make sense to taek a serious look and possibly all out effort for darvish if that look turns out positive.

enough of these low risk measures. go all in and stop being afraid to fail (just be smart about it! look at the damn phillies. gobbled up all the best available pitchers and will contend for th echampionship for a while.). we're not the lowest salaried team in baseball.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

[QUOTE]it seems to only make sense to taek a serious look and possibly all out effort for darvish if that look turns out positive. enough of these low risk measures. go all in and stop being afraid to fail (just be smart about it! look at the damn phillies. gobbled up all the best available pitchers and will contend for th echampionship for a while.). we're not the lowest salaried team in baseball.
    Posted by brdbreu[/QUOTE]

Phillies did not take any risks with the pitchers they signed - all had super track records before their signings.  Halliday, Lee and Oswalt were all #1 starters for other teams before coming to the Phillies and even with a staff like this failed to make the WS. 

If the Sox are going to sign Darvish then they have to be thinking he is ready to take a spot on the roster.  It doesn't make sense to pay a fee for the right to negotiate with him and then think he will head to the minors.  Just thinking that with long term contracts like Beckett, CC, and Lackey that the Sox are stuck with for years to come...another long term gamble seems out of place given the track record of the above soured contracts. Maybe the Yanks can afford to eat contracts like those, but I doubt the Sox are thinking along those lines.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackyldo. Show jackyldo's posts

YU   is Japanese mom and Iranian father..   
    He was married  to one of the hottest stars in Japan (Saeko) but they are divorcing  because  he was going to the Red Light district in Saporro while she was down in Tokyo .

His father  came to the USA in 1977 and went to school in Berkshire County, Massachuseets and then played soccer at Eckerd College in St. Pete, Florida   where he met his mom.

At  25  he is  6  foot  5   220 pounds and commands   4 pitches...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

n

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Yu Darvish : Phillies did not take any risks with the pitchers they signed - all had super track records before their signings.  Halliday, Lee and Oswalt were all #1 starters for other teams before coming to the Phillies and even with a staff like this failed to make the WS.  If the Sox are going to sign Darvish then they have to be thinking he is ready to take a spot on the roster.  It doesn't make sense to pay a fee for the right to negotiate with him and then think he will head to the minors.  Just thinking that with long term contracts like Beckett, CC, and Lackey that the Sox are stuck with for years to come...another long term gamble seems out of place given the track record of the above soured contracts. Maybe the Yanks can afford to eat contracts like those, but I doubt the Sox are thinking along those lines.
    Posted by traven[/QUOTE]

Forget the Phillies comparison - the only FA pitcher available this year who could compare with Lee is Sabathia if he opts out of his contract.  And you can bet he's not going to leave money and years on the table to sign with the Sox.

There are a lot of good names next year - Cain, Greinke, Hamels, Liriano, Marcum.  If we don't get Darvish, we should trade or go small and temporary - Bedard or Kuroda on a one-year deal.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Yu Darvish : Forget the Phillies comparison - the only FA pitcher available this year who could compare with Lee is Sabathia if he opts out of his contract.  And you can bet he's not going to leave money and years on the table to sign with the Sox. There are a lot of good names next year - Cain, Greinke, Hamels, Liriano, Marcum.  If we don't get Darvish, we should trade or go small and temporary - Bedard or Kuroda on a one-year deal.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

Hey Slo...I think that the Sox need to sign a guy that can serves as a bridge to 2013 and 2014. My choices would be Wilson if he doesn't command more than a Lackey type deal or Jackson... Both I could see as very good middle of the rotation guys that could give us 33 starts and 200 innings with a sub 4 era...that would give us a rotation of Lester, Beckett, Buccholz, Jackson and fill in the blank for 2012 and then in 2013 when Lackey returns add him back into into the mix for the 2013 rotation. We have two spots to fill heading onto next season and or 66 starts and 400 innings. Not sure I'd want to gamble on filling both slots with risk reward guys...Doubront is another guy that might be in the mix? By adding a quality guy to the roation this year it sreves two purposes with one being obvious, but it also buys us one more year to see excactly what we have in Ranaundo and Barnes who both are projected for the 2014-2015 rotations and hopefully one or both will make the jump and help us to bridge the 2015-2020 seasons...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Yu Darvish : Hey Slo...I think that the Sox need to sign a guy that can serves as a bridge to 2013 and 2014. My choices would be Wilson if he doesn't command more than a Lackey type deal or Jackson... Both I could see as very good middle of the rotation guys that could give us 33 starts and 200 innings with a sub 4 era...that would give us a rotation of Lester, Beckett, Buccholz, Jackson and fill in the blank for 2012 and then in 2013 when Lackey returns add him back into into the mix for the 2013 rotation. We have two spots to fill heading onto next season and or 66 starts and 400 innings. Not sure I'd want to gamble on filling both slots with risk reward guys...Doubront is another guy that might be in the mix? By adding a quality guy to the roation this year it sreves two purposes with one being obvious, but it also buys us one more year to see excactly what we have in Ranaundo and Barnes who both are projected for the 2014-2015 rotations and hopefully one or both will make the jump and help us to bridge the 2015-2020 seasons...
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]

Wilson will be very expensive and Jackson isn't all that good - he has a low ERA but a WHIP higher than Tim Wakefield's.  He'd be hit very hard in the AL East. 

With a little luck, we will have developed at least one guy with top of the rotation stuff by 2015. We'll still have Buchholz, and will likely retain Lester, and let Beckett walk or extend for less money if he is still effective.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Yu Darvish : Wilson will be very expensive and Jackson isn't all that good - he has a low ERA but a WHIP higher than Tim Wakefield's.  He'd be hit very hard in the AL East.  With a little luck, we will have developed at least one guy with top of the rotation stuff by 2015. We'll still have Buchholz, and will likely retain Lester, and let Beckett walk or extend for less money if he is still effective.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

We don't need an ace we need QS and innings...Jackson has pretty good stuff and did well in Tampa and has remained healthy with no chronic injury issues that I can recall...He'd be a very good #4 if we could sign him for less than 10 or 11M per for three years....

Wilson will be expensive, but IMHO he too is not an ace, so if any team pays him more than 15M to 16M IMHO they'd be overpaying...His stuff doesn't warrent top of the rotation moneys...