Yu Darvish...Valentine's first move?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

Re: Yu Darvish...Valentine's first move?

In Response to Re: Yu Darvish...Valentine's first move?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Yu Darvish...Valentine's first move? : Giving Boston a bad name. We've had some bad times with every nationality and race. We've had some great times with all as well... How about Oki? Nomo? Dice-K before the injuries? You really think their race is the reason the had some poor stretches?  Very sad, indeed.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Moon, 

Most folks are not pulling the race card out on this, just the one post from I guess PETEY that wrote with negative remarks unfortunately. Many are just very suspect as to whether a pitcher with experience in Japanese major leagues can find success in the US with many factors involved.

Are the Japanese leagues competitive in quality players across the board or are they more equal to Double A or Triple A and what does that say about how a player from Japan might succeed in MLB in the U.S. especially knowing most of those players are well into their 20s and most likely are in their prime. And a bigger issue is it worth investing 50 million on an untried player just to get the signing rights leading to contract negotiations.

For me the answer is no it's not. The money could be well spent elsewhere going after players in the U.S. that have a track record in MLB.  

Hetchinspete.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Yu Darvish...Valentine's first move? : tcal2 - You made the comment, "...useless Japanese pitchers..."pompous posting punkyou pompous posting punk? "Petey"...lol, that's funny. "Petey"...you called someone "Petey" in referring to Pedro I suppose? Feeling a bit entitled and overly familiar? That's really funny... Own up to being the originator of the comment and racial slur. Don't be putting it off on moonslav. As for American's in the Premier League? Does the name Kasey Keller ring a bell bobo? American soccer goaltender? Played in the Premier League? 1997? Yo, dude! They won the League Cup! Try to make sense and consider your opinion to be just that. No, consider it discounted by 25% as a pre-Christmas loss leader.
    Posted by WesternOregon[/QUOTE]

Your silly Omlet!  Keep up the good work though.  By the way I don't think Moon needs you to attack another posters in his name.  I've been reading him for many year and he is a high charactor person, just the opposite of you. 

Have a great day.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

I'm pretty sure they were accurately described, when they were described as both "Japanese" and "Useless"

Let's not have the standard-massachusetts-everything-is-racist-because-our-state-is-dominated-by-loser-liberals discussion.

The fact remains - we have gone after "Hot Japanese Prospects" and it has been a failure.  Does Yu Darvish have better credentials than Dice-K? 

No.  At least Dice had picthed against MLB talent.

Sox should pass on another Japanese experiment - and risk being called racist by the morally superior crowd on this website.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

There's a very good scouting report online that goes over in real detail about Darvish and interestingly a brief comparison between he and Dice K. Below is the URL: Makes me think I might change my mind and give this pitcher a shot. He's got good command of 7-8 different pitches including a good changes, 3 different fast balls, atleast three different curves, etc. The fast ball isn't over whelming but 93-95 mph with excellent control with 5 full seasons with an ERA under 2.00 and only 24 years of age.  

http://projectprospect.com/article/2011/11/08/yu-darvish-scouting-report?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Hetchinspete.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

i think yu darvish is definetly worth a shot. And to those who bring up dice k, there is really no comparison between the 2. first of all darvish is only half japanese, second he is 6"5 and is in great shape which dice has clearly never been, 3rd he has excellent command, and 4th he has been far more dominant than dice was. He also speaks english too. There is no one available via free agents that is worth signing. cj wilson is 31 and wants 20 mill per, no thanks. oswalt is in his mid 30's, buerhle is 33, just no good options. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Yu Darvish...Valentine's first move? : Giving Boston a bad name. We've had some bad times with every nationality and race. We've had some great times with all as well... How about Oki? Nomo? Dice-K before the injuries? You really think their race is the reason the had some poor stretches?  Very sad, indeed.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

for me it has nothing to do with the nationality...but rather with the extremely high posting fees just to deal with him for a contract.  I count the posting fee in with the contract to arrive at how much the pitcher is being paid. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Yu Darvish...Valentine's first move? : Your silly Omlet!  Keep up the good work though.  By the way I don't think Moon needs you to attack another posters in his name.  I've been reading him for many year and he is a high charactor person, just the opposite of you.  Have a great day.
    Posted by tcal2-[/QUOTE]

Just sayin'...when you grow-up, stop name dropping, get your facts right, pay your dues to be one of the regulars and drop the punk attitude you can stay up past 8:00pm.
    No more Sunday or Monday night football for you until you learn how to say, "intentional walk" in Japanese.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

The comparisons between Dice-K and Darvish are unfound besides the fact they will be coming from the Japanese League. Dice-K was 28 when he crossed to the states, Darvish is only 24, this is still prospect age. This makes his stats in Japanese league more like looking at the stats of a prospect in AAA, and any 24 year old pitching a sub 2 ERA for 5 consecutive seasons in AAA would be promoted to the major leagues.

Here's the problem, in this case for a club to be able to do that they need to pay a few million dollars. In Dice-K's case this was a bigger risk than Darvish, because Dice-K had reached his prime years, being signed when you're 28 means improvement is unlikely, maybe you'll get better the second year of the contract, but after that you're hoping for the player to stay at the same results.

If Darvish's current sub-2.00 ERA in a weaker league translates to a 4.00+ in the ALE the first year, the move can still work out as the pitcher will still likely improve.

Fangraphs had a great piece on this ( http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/darvish-is-not-daisuke/ ). I'd love for the Sox to sign Darvish, and even if he didn't work out, I'd completely understand the Sox's point of view in the signing.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Yu Darvish...Valentine's first move? : Just sayin'...when you grow-up, stop name dropping, get your facts right, pay your dues to be one of the regulars and drop the punk attitude you can stay up past 8:00pm. No more Sunday or Monday night football for you until you learn how to say, "intentional walk" in Japanese.
    Posted by WesternOregon[/QUOTE]

I've been on this board since 2007, but thanks for the constructive criticism it means a lot coming from such a highly regarded poster like you.  Oh and your insults are both mature and quite biting.

Keep up the good work.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

Insults?
    I've insulted you?

First, you slur Japanese pitchers and then pass it off on someone else.
    Secondly, you mis-represent your position by making a ludicrous and false statement about premier league soccer stars having no chance of being American.
    Thirdly, you intimate familiarity with a former Red Sox pitcher by calling him, "Petey"...lol...Petey?
    Finally, have a Merry Christmas kiddo. I won't be reading your posts any longer and your off my Christmas Card List.

As for Yu Darvish? It would appear that Bobby Valentine's addition may help the Sox in dealing with players from many countries of origin. Darvish may also be one of the top short-term prospects but some issues (his pending divorce) and the huge posting fee may keep him from immigrating and joining MLB.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Most Red Sox fans complained that Oki and DiceK would not learn the language and assimilate into American culture. Call Attorney General Michael Holder.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

"I won't be reading your posts any longer"

Thank You God!!!

You looked.  I know you did.  People with your type of personality can't help themselves.  It's OK.  Keep up the good work attacking others. 

God Bless and have a great night.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Daisuke was NOT 28 when he came to the states.  That would make him 33 now.  He is 31 and was 26 when posted back in December of 2006.

And Daisuke is/was not a flop.  He is 49-30 in the majors with an era of 4.25 and that includeds his horrible 2009 season when he was injured AND ineffective.  Otherwise he has held major league hitters under .240 BAve against and had games where he absolutely dominated. 

Is he a hall of famer?  No.  Has he been consistently good?  No.  Has he been injury prone?  Yes.  Was it all worth 100 million?  Probably not.  But he can get in a very long line of players who teams spent 100 million or more on that did not live up to that amount of investment.

The nice thing is that the posting fee does not go against the luxury tax.  If John Henry wants to win and isn't shy of investing in his baseball team, the way he has been investing in his soccer team, he ought to post a 52 million dollar fee and see if it flies.  Darvish is the best FA pitcher available, and every starter supposedly on the trade block is being highly overrated currently. Darvish isn't really all that expensive as an option when you take the cost of prospects plus arbitration salaries into account or consider what Wilson wants and will probably get.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jamminjim. Show jamminjim's posts

That was a good post.I agree totally.And give Henry some credit.He gambled 50 million.There aren`t to many fans that can say that about there team owner.I really think he wants this team to win.No matter how many teams he owns.

15. This post has been removed.