What defines a successful season for the 2012 Revolution?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pblitzz. Show Pblitzz's posts

What defines a successful season for the 2012 Revolution?

To come up with an appropriate answer you really have to look into a few things.  One of those is the teams standing at the end of the previous season as this is a good indicator of future expectation.  Last season the Revs were dead last in the East and the second overall worst team in the league.  That being said how good can they really be just one season later?  Sure there have been teams to go from last to first in just one year but those are rare feats.  However, I don't think its to much to ask a last place team to get into the middle of the pack area in the same amount of time. 
      Another aspect worth bring up is that fact that the team has a new coach at the helm.  Long time man Steve Nicol was let go and replaced by former player first time coach Jay Heaps.  Mr. Heaps is not only in his first year with the team but also has brought with him a new staff and new approach to the great game.  This of coarse can work for or against you but we'll have to wait and see how that plays out.  This wont stop anyone from setting their expectation, however. 
      Lastly we have to mention the bevy of player personnel changes.  Over one-third of the roster was overhauled during the off-season and even more changes have been made during the current season.  This has to play some kind of a role in gagging the expectation of the team.
      We're half way through the season now and the team is a couple games under .500 floating around in the lower middle of the conference.  So the question is where do we expect our Revolution to end up? 
       This year brings many changes to New England but there is also a change in the league playoff structure.  Five team from each conference will get a ticket into the final dance.  Given that the team has already surpassed last years win total we have to have higher expectation than dead last.  I'm not really a glass half empty kind of guy nor a glass half full type.  I like to think the glass is simply twice as big as it needs to be.  I also trust this team to make the play-offs and don't believe that asking too much.  Winning a championship, even a conference championships on the other hand is asking to much. Or is it?  Either way the team is better than last year but with the league growing as fast as it has there is no telling just how things will end up.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pblitzz. Show Pblitzz's posts

Re: What defines a successful season for the 2012 Revolution?

Going into the match with the Impact tomorrow the Revs look firmly out of the playoff picture 12pts out.  With 12 games left and only the 6 wins it's not looking good.  I think the club can put something together late if they can find the net but it's up to Benny, Sene, Imbongo, and Jerry to do so.  I would think 4 wins in the last 12 to get 10 wins for the year is achievable.  We should be able to hold of TFC and Montreal with a win tonight and hang onto 8th place maybe with some luck 7th.  Either way its a big improvement and something to build on for Heap's 2nd campaign.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pblitzz. Show Pblitzz's posts

New England was ousted from the playoffs officially last week and going into today's game at Gillette vs NY they are on 7 wins, 15 losses, and 7 draws. They have 5 games left to play including today's which means they can still get to 10wins total out of a 34 game season.  Should they end up say 10-16-8 I think that might be good enough to beat out at least 3 other clubs which would give us the 4th overall pick but I'm hopeing they beat out 5 other clubs and finish with the 6th pick.  Chivas, Colorado, Portland, Philly, and Toronto are the other clubs in the running for last place with Toronto being the front runner by far.  It's really a race between the other 5 clubs to avoid 2nd worst.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pblitzz. Show Pblitzz's posts

Today's the final home game of the year, we play the Fire.  Then its off to Saputo to play the Impact in the season closer.  I hope we can at least scrap 6 more points out of this thing and finally get the elusive 2nd road win.  Kraft needs to spend some money and get this team going.  You can't expect to get out of the gutter when every single team is outspending you.  Patriots are also near the bottom in spending in the NFL.  Kraft is cheap and the tides are turning.....

Sections
Shortcuts