1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wildcat66. Show wildcat66's posts

10 Greatest Moments in Red Sox History

My "top ten" in no particular order:1. Love him or hate him, Roger Clemens' 20-K performance (either one, but especially the first on that established the record in 1986 and set the tone for the whole season)2. For us "older folks" Ted Williams' home run in his last major league at bat (and Curt Gowdy's call of it) needs to be on the list.3.� Also, for the older set, the final game of the 1967 season against the Twins to clinch the first Sox AL pennant in 21 years.4.� The Carlton Fisk walk-off HR in Game 6 of the 1975 WS5.� The final out of the 2004 WS -- 86 years of frustration ended6.� Jason Veritek feeding A-Rod the catcher's mitt sandwich7. Yaz's last game and�his "grand tour" of Fenway8.� Ted Williams at the 1999 All-Star game with all the current all-stars hangin on his every word9.� Smokey Joe Wood vs Walter Johnson in 1912.�� On September 6, 1912, Wood matched up with the "Big Train" riding a 13-game winning streak. In front of a huge crowd at Fenway Park, Wood pitched a one-hitter and�defeated Johnson and the Nats, 1-0.� Both pitchers went the distance.� Wood went on to win 3 games in the eventual 1912 Sox WS championship.10.� Ted Williams' mammoth HR (the "red seat").��� On June 9, 1946, Ted Williams hit a Fred Hutchinson pitch further than anyone has ever seen one hit at Fenway Park. The ball flew off his bat to right field, and flew, and flew, finally landing on the straw hat of a startled fan in the 37th row of the right field bleachers, which was painted red some years later to commemorate the event. For some time, this home run has been quoted as having traveled 502 feet, but Hit Tracker analysis indicates that this is a significant underestimate. Examination of satellite and ground-based digital photos suggests that the 502 foot figure is an accurate measurement of the horizontal distance to the "Red Seat", but the impact point is approximately 30 feet above field level, meaning the ball would have covered a lot more distance before landing at field level, had its flight not been interrupted. To reconstruct the trajectory, wind and temperature assumptions must be made, as well as a time in flight. Contemporary meteorological record the afternoon high temperature as 76 degrees, and the wind at 19-24 mph from the west, so values of 76 degrees and 21 mph out to RF were selected. For time in flight, a variety of values were tested, with 5.8 seconds yielding a speed-off-bat of 118.9 mph and an angle of 38.3 degrees, which fits well with Williams' recollection that he hit the ball at a nearly perfect trajectory. With these values, the Red Seat homer is estimated to have traveled 527 feet.BONUS #11.� Ted Williams' .406 average in 1941 (including a 6 for 8 perfromance on the final day of the season, playing BOTH games of a double-header,� even though a .400 season would have been guaranteed if he sat out the day). No one has hit .400 in the ensuing 67 years -- only two have come close, George Brett's .390 and Ted's own�.388 (at the age of 40!).�

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from emjake5236. Show emjake5236's posts

��I would say my introduction into what its like to feel miserable as a sox fan was AAron Boone in 2003. So i would rate Johnny Damons Grand Slam the next year as the best moment for me. I knew we were going to the world series, and I never celebrated harder in my life.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from gibsonsg. Show gibsonsg's posts

How about Bellhorn's insurance homer off Gordon in Game 7 of the '04 ALCS? Even though we had a nice lead, that was the shot that really sealed it for me. With Sox history (esp. Aaron Boone so recently) even Damon's GS didn't make me totally confident. But Bellhorn's shot off the foul pole sent a loud crash throughout Yankee Stadium that�seemed to be the final nail in the coffin. Only then did the whole world know for sure that the Yankees had just completed the biggest choke in sports history!(plus it was a nice redemption for Bellhorn, who had struggled so heroically all season).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wb374. Show wb374's posts

Best Red Sox moment of all time......Carl Everett head butting the ump after being told his foot was out of the batters box.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wildcat66. Show wildcat66's posts

Much as�I hate to sound (and act) my age, there WERE Red Sox highlights before the 2004 ALCS/WS...just like the fact that Paul McCartney was in another band before Wings...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from slikrick04. Show slikrick04's posts

nice posts by all, but here is my top ten...I just couldn't settle for just one. Number one is my favorite:1. Johnny Damon's grand slam in Game 7. (I really started to drink heavily after that).2. Papi's game winning homer in Game 4 of 04` ALCS.3. Drew's grand slam in game 7 of 07` ALCS.4. The final out in game 7 of 04` ALCS.5. Bernie Carbo's game tying homer with 2 outs in the 8th inning of game 6 of 75` WS. (I jumped so hight my chair broke)6. Dave Henderson's game tying homer in 86`.7. Dave Robert's stolen base.8. Pedro's game 5 no hit�relief performance in game 5 against Cleveland.9. The final out of the�WS�against St Louis in 04.10. Manny, signing with boston while being a free agent.������ nice tread....��

Sections
Shortcuts