1. You have chosen to ignore posts from corrosive. Show corrosive's posts

2008-2009 Girls Hockey

I did not see the SMH/Hingham, game, but I think I rate them the top two followed by AB/AHS/Woburn. I am not ruling anyone else out. I thought Fontbonne could have made a legitimate run at the title, but they are now in D-2.

While not wanting to reopen the waiver issue, I can't help but wonder about the Lynn team. I was in a discussion about roster sizes etc last week and as I posted MSJ had no goalie this year and neither did Pope John matognon last year. In eqach case a girl on the team stepped up to learn the position. I wonder why someone on Lynn wasn't required to do the same. I believe BLatin and Dedham have had only one goalie for a few years now. What if those girls had gotten hurt? Apply for a waiver? Doubtful.

Last point on the subject. People have been accused on this board of picking on teams only because they are winning. I feel that is a large red herring.

Finally lets not berate any player on this board. I guess parents/coaches/refs are fair game, but leave the kids out of it
    I think people think the spirit of the law(rule) may have been broken.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from homesar. Show homesar's posts

2008-2009 Girls Hockey

corrosive,
    you ignore, I think, the 'numbers' Lynn has-14 with the goalie, according to the papers. And they had the waiver last season as well, at least for 7 and 8- I found stories detailing the 2007-08 roster,which had 22 with 2 goalies.

It's one thing to want the spirit of the waiver rule to be lived up to. It's another thing to say you think a team should be "required" to convert a skater.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from magellann. Show magellann's posts

2008-2009 Girls Hockey

[Quote]

What do u mean AC plays D1 teams and Lynn plays D2 teams. looking at the schedules AC has played 7 D1 games and 8 D2 games while Lynn has played 11 D1 games and only 2 D2 games. What r u looking at my friend.[/Quote]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from magellann. Show magellann's posts

2008-2009 Girls Hockey

[Quote][/Quote] I love the whole Lynn English story this year. But I know that AC played SMH 2 times, Arlington, Hingham, Fontbonne, just to name a few. Who has Lynn English played in Division I (before they all got moved to Division I last week). AC had to play their conference also. The Division II teams would be AP, Notre Dame, Ursuline, Mt. St. Joe.

Has Lynn English played anyone in the top 5 of Division I. I mean no disrespect to Lynn English it has been a great season for them. But they are now with Division I and when they enter the States, they will not be playing teams that they have played. Do you think they can compete with the top tier of Division I?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from abgirlsfan. Show abgirlsfan's posts

2008-2009 Girls Hockey

[Quote]I did not see the SMH/Hingham, game, but I think I rate them the top two followed by AB/AHS/Woburn. I am not ruling anyone else out. I thought Fontbonne could have made a legitimate run at the title, but they are now in D-2.

While not wanting to reopen the waiver issue, I can't help but wonder about the Lynn team. I was in a discussion about roster sizes etc last week and as I posted MSJ had no goalie this year and neither did Pope John matognon last year. In eqach case a girl on the team stepped up to learn the position. I wonder why someone on Lynn wasn't required to do the same. I believe BLatin and Dedham have had only one goalie for a few years now. What if those girls had gotten hurt? Apply for a waiver? Doubtful.

Last point on the subject. People have been accused on this board of picking on teams only because they are winning. I feel that is a large red herring.

Finally lets not berate any player on this board. I guess parents/coaches/refs are fair game, but leave the kids out of it
    I think people think the spirit of the law(rule) may have been broken.[/Quote]

Corrosive-

I just wanted to make one point about your post. I'm not sure about last year, but last Friday, Boston Latin had 3 goalies dressed. I'm not sure what it means, if anything. Just wanted to point it out.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Icing-2. Show Icing-2's posts

2008-2009 Girls Hockey

[Quote]
    I heard a lot of the D2 teams were moved up to D1 by the MIAA, with no knowlege of the move. Does anyone know about this. Because I pretty should Lynn would want the move up.[/Quote]The MIAA realigns on a regular basis. This realignment was actually done back in October. A lot of schools that have been traditionally D1 schools were moved to D2. Most applied to move back to d1. It should come to no surprise to anyone and I quote from the MIAA:

* During the Spring of 2008 each Winter sport committee develops alignment modification to become effective in the Winter of 2009-10.
    * The alignments are released in late Summer of 2008
    * Schools and leagues are given the fall (e.g. including District Workshops) of 2008 to review and discuss these divisional alignments.
    * Appeals by the high school principal or league president must be filed before December 21, 2008
    * Appeals by each sport committee will be heard during the Winter of 2008-09

Coaches maybe did not know, but AD's and Principals did.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghockeyfan. Show ghockeyfan's posts

2008-2009 Girls Hockey

[Quote]I do not usually get involved with this type of discussion but I will go out on a limb here and say that if AC played the Lynn Coop's (yes coop as in Lynn English, Lynn Classical, Winthrop, Revere) schedule They would be 13-0 hands down, NO DOUBT, but they don't. I have said it before and I Will say it again YOU CAN NOT CONTROL WHO THE MAJORITY OF YOUR GAMES ARE AGAINST! Teams are tied into league schedules. Want more respect play tough OOC Games. Look at the OOC games for the top schools. Look at Lynn's OOC 21-41-7 AC's 53-19-5 and you wonder why they are ranken above them.[/Quote]

Hi Icing,
    What you say is true but I think you even need to go one step further and look at who those OOC teams have played. That is why the RPI system is good, it goes deep into the schedules of each team.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Downtown11. Show Downtown11's posts

2008-2009 Girls Hockey

[Quote]Downtown11, I can't tell if your dead serious or yanking everybodies chain. You certainly have me laughing. I hope they do run the rest of their games and the MIAA gives them a seed right behind St. Mary's. That way you won't have to face them.

The masshshockey stopped giving a bump to division 1 teams, so I'm afraid Lynn won't jump up in the computer rankings. A good reason for the bump not to be included. I think the computer is getting it fairly close along with Icing2.
    [/Quote]

I do believe they can run the table if they get by Stoneham and with AB playing Woburn and SMH lynn/english can move past them and Woburn and steal the 2nd seed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from iced-t. Show iced-t's posts

2008-2009 Girls Hockey

I see an anomaly in AHS's schedule on MassHSHockey.com. Can someone explain it?

AHS is now in the DCL and has home and away games with all DCL schools except Boston Latin. AHS played BL @ BL on 1/14 and I thought that next game with BL @ AHS was on 2/11. But on closer inspection the game on 2/11 is AHS vs Latin Academy @ AHS. The schedules for all three teams agree on this: BL's says it's off on 2/11, LA's says it's @ AHS on 2/11 and AHS's says it's home with LA.

Isn't every school in the DCL supposed to play every other school in the DCL twice, home and away?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from magellann. Show magellann's posts

2008-2009 Girls Hockey

[Quote]

SMH goalie is a good goaltender. She's not always peppered with shots, but she handles the shots she does get. Hell the girl has won 40 straight. I don't know if I believe that they had 3 girls out and still won the game. Do they possibly have more depth than even I thought they had?!

SMH did have 3 players out -Iannetti out with foot, McAndrews out with knee, Maccario hurt in first period.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Icing-2. Show Icing-2's posts

2008-2009 Girls Hockey

Wakefield 5 Hingham 3
    Who has the recap of this game!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from corrosive. Show corrosive's posts

2008-2009 Girls Hockey

[Quote]

That is possible and if it happens there will be a lot of teams licking their chops hoping they get on that side of bracket. Up until last week the teams seemed to be in their proper divisions. The MIAA need to seed the Tourney somehow using the RPI system like the MASSHSRANKING. SMH,WOBURN,HINGHAM,ARLINGTON,AB,AC, WAKEFIELD are all playing each other and knocking one another off. I have no problem with a team asking up to a D1 tournament but when you don't play any tough teams it in some way ruins the seeding system. If the MIAA is throwing teams in divisions just because of their size and leaving out the human element of looking at these teams and seeing how they're progressing then they are making a big mistake and in my opinion just butchered the upcoming tournament. Also Wakefield just beat Hingham 5-3 after losing to Woburn 7-2. I give up trying to predict any of these other games.[/Quote] Exactly right. Some form of strength of schedule needs to be factored in. Wakefield/Hingham is a shocker to me

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from corrosive. Show corrosive's posts

2008-2009 Girls Hockey

Let me say I mean no disrespect to Wakefield. I just feel Hingham is a very deep a team

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Icing-2. Show Icing-2's posts

2008-2009 Girls Hockey

[Quote]

Not true in all cases. I know of some AD's and principals that did not know until much later than they should have.[/Quote]Shame on them I reported that fact that there was to be movement back in September in both this forum and massgirlshockeyforum.net. The information has been out there.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Icing-2. Show Icing-2's posts

2008-2009 Girls Hockey

Lets go people, what happened in the Hingham-Wakefield game. Where is the recap?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hcky2. Show hcky2's posts

2008-2009 Girls Hockey

Regarding earlier posts about D1 & D2 teams -Fontbonne is D1.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from homesar. Show homesar's posts

2008-2009 Girls Hockey

[Quote] Exactly right. Some form of strength of schedule needs to be factored in. Wakefield/Hingham is a shocker to me[/Quote]
    Each Sports Committee has the option to use
    WALKER STATISTICAL METHOD ,

which is a SOS system. WMASS and CMASS use it on the Boy's side. Some other sports also.
    Get your coach to lobby.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghockeyfan. Show ghockeyfan's posts

2008-2009 Girls Hockey

[Quote]

I do believe they can run the table if they get by Stoneham and with AB playing Woburn and SMH lynn/english can move past them and Woburn and steal the 2nd seed.[/Quote]

They also play AP which although they are a very young team, they are capable of winning. This will be a test for Lynn. If it comes down to goaltending Lynn may have the edge.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghockeyfan. Show ghockeyfan's posts

2008-2009 Girls Hockey

[Quote]Regarding earlier posts about D1 & D2 teams -Fontbonne is D1.[/Quote]

Not sure if you have better or more recent information. But we are refering to the alignment published by the MIAA.

Here is the link:
    http://miaa.net/Ice-Hockey-Girls-Proposed-Alignment.pdf

The link says "proposed" but the document itself is titled:
    "Girls Ice Hockey Alignment for Winter 2008‐09 through 2012‐13"

It would certainly make more sense if they are D1. Of course, it could be a typo on the part of the MIAA too.

You may want to have your AD contact the MIAA.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from iced-t. Show iced-t's posts

2008-2009 Girls Hockey

MassHSHockey.com now lists Cgelmsford as D1. Is this correct?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from iced-t. Show iced-t's posts

2008-2009 Girls Hockey

[Quote]

I do believe they can run the table if they get by Stoneham and with AB playing Woburn and SMH lynn/english can move past them and Woburn and steal the 2nd seed.[/Quote]

Assuming they win the rest of their games the following teams will end up with the following numbers of points:

SMH 40
    AB 38
    AHS 36
    Lynn 36
    Woburn 35
    Andover 35

It does look like Lynn could steal #2 seed -- from AHS.

What happens when 2 teams have the same winning percentage as far as seeding goes?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghockeyfan. Show ghockeyfan's posts

2008-2009 Girls Hockey

[Quote]

Assuming they win the rest of their games the following teams will end up with the following numbers of points:

SMH 40
    AB 38
    AHS 36
    Lynn 36
    Woburn 35
    Andover 35

What happens when 2 teams have the same winning percentage as far as seeding goes?[/Quote]

Just to clarify # of points is not used because some teams play more games than others. It is stricltly winning percentage. If a tie exists they flip a coin (not joking).

For those out there who haven't seen it before, here is an example of the Tournament Brackets and Seeding from last year....

http://miaa.statebrackets.com/tmenu.cfm?tid=701

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Icing-2. Show Icing-2's posts

2008-2009 Girls Hockey

[Quote]

SMH 40
    AB 38
    AHS 36
    Lynn 36
    Woburn 35
    Andover 35

What happens when 2 teams have the same winning percentage as far as seeding goes?[/Quote]Point of information, if SMH wins out they will have 44 points (They play 22 games), Lynn wins out they will have 32 points (They only play 18 games)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from homesar. Show homesar's posts

2008-2009 Girls Hockey

[Quote]

We contacted the MIAA and they said that the alignments they have posted are correct which means Fontbonne for whatever reason is D2 now. they also said they will no longer change teams divisons every year, and are going to a four year alignment cycle(5 years for this cycle) so no girl's team will be changing divisions for the next 5 years and the divisions they are in on the site are correct.[/Quote]

Thanks for checking that out. Perhaps some of the D2 teams who 'moved up' just felt that they would belong there before 5 years are up. Did anyone but Fontbonne 'move down', in the sense of staying where the MIAA proposed in D2 rather than return to their past place in D1. And, what's the enrollment cutoff for D2?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bb257. Show bb257's posts

2008-2009 Girls Hockey

in the past ties were broken with a coin flip... I believe this is still the case, coaches and AD's are welcome to attend flip