1. You have chosen to ignore posts from stomackit10452. Show stomackit10452's posts

2009 Lineup? Who's Your Cleanup Hitter?

Lineup

L Ellsbury
    R Pedroia
    R Bay
    L Ortiz
    R Youkilis
    L Drew
    R Lowell
    R Bard/Kottaras
    R Lowrie/Lugo

I would bat Ortiz cleanup. My second choice would be Bay. I think if he starts the season batting 3rd or 4th and left there for the entire season, not batting 6th, he will hit 35+ homers and 120+ RBIs.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I've always thought that Papi is a better #4 hitter than #3. You might consider Youk for #3 instead of Bay. They have similar 30 HR type of power, but Youk has a much better OBP, and that might play well in front of Papi.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_2767828. Show user_2767828's posts

wowowowowowowow we need Manny!!!!!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SleeStack1. Show SleeStack1's posts

I would like to see Ortiz 4th too. Maybe even 5th. Let's face it, he PROBABLY isn't as good anymore. I'm not sure why it seems the sky would fall if he moved out of the #3 spot.

How about:

L Ellsbury
    R Pedroia
    L Drew
    R Yook
    L Ortiz
    R Bay
    R Lowell
    S Lowrie
    R Bard

This way, you have Drew and Yook (OB machines) ahead of Ortiz while still affording Ortiz reasonable 'protection'.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_2767828. Show user_2767828's posts

you think Pedrodia or yuk are going to have the same year as last year? keep dreaming

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SleeStack1. Show SleeStack1's posts

[Quote]you think Pedrodia or yuk are going to have the same year as last year? keep dreaming[/Quote]

How the heck does this have anything to do with the post topic? Do you have relevant input on the clean-up spot or not?

Please troll elsewhere.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

Slee-stack, there is something to be said about the line-up you proposed...

Especially considering that Drew put up incredible numbers last year while in the 3-spot covering for an injured Ortiz. I also think that Youk in the clean-up role would do fine, especially with pitchers knowing Ortiz was waiting behind him.

This line-up would potentially help Bay's numbers also.

I like it Slee :

1. L Ellsbury
    2. R Pedroia
    3. L Drew
    4. R Youk
    5. L Ortiz
    6. R Bay
    7. R Lowell
    8. S Lowrie
    9. S Bard - he also bats L too.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from djo622. Show djo622's posts

I don't think it really matter who bats 4th...I also don't see the big problem with our offense...if healthy, we have 5 guys(Bay, Youkilis, Ortiz, Lowell, and Drew) that can hit 20+ home runs, maybe 3 guys if not everyone is healthy. Pedroia and Youk might not have such MVP-caliber seasons, but will most likely still hit for +.300 averages. Ellsbury and Bay's averages in the .280's are pretty good, and Lowrie should improve at least slightly. We have speed in Ellsbury and Pedroia. This isn't the type of team that we have become accustomed to over recent years, but they are still a pretty damn good team.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

[Quote]I've always thought that Papi is a better #4 hitter than #3. You might consider Youk for #3 instead of Bay. They have similar 30 HR type of power, but Youk has a much better OBP, and that might play well in front of Papi.[/Quote]

I thought this way too, until I looked up the numbers. I know Bay walks a lot, too, so I wanted to see how his OBP stacked up to Youk's last season. Youk batted 26 points higher, but only had 17 point advantage in OBP, because Bay drew considerably more walks. Take away Bay's pretty poor 2007 season, and Bay has had OBP higher than any of Youk's full seasons. Bay drew 122 walks in 2006 and had an OBP over 400 in 2005, walking 95 times and batting .306. Bay might be just as good in the 3 hole as Youk, who is not quite the "god of walks" that he has been made out to be.

That said, Youk may see more pitches per at bat. I don't know that for sure, but that is my guess. If I am right about that, then Youk gets my vote for batting 3rd. I like the top 3 in the lineup to wear down the starter. The Sox are still the best in baseball at that. And yes, I agree...Ortiz should bat 4th, maybe even 5th!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Drew did very well, yes, but I believe he's too streaky to bat 3rd. We need a consistent high-average, high-obp guy like Youk to bat 3rd.

That's just it, Drew draws more walks per plate appearance than Youk, yet Youk has this reputation as the "Greek God of Walks." Youkilis is neither greek, nor a god of walks. Drew's OBP has been routinely over .400, just as he was last year. In fact, he's been over .400 5 times in the last 10 years. Youkilis has never had an OBP above .400 in a full season of playing.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from baseballdiamond. Show baseballdiamond's posts

I say wait until spring training is over to see how everyone is hitting. I'd like to see the Sox move Bay up in the lineup, but they know better than me. They have all the fine print stats.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from youngdavid74. Show youngdavid74's posts

I agree Ortiz should hit 4th. Lineup should be

Ellsbury
    Pedroia
    Youkilis
    Ortiz
    Bay
    Drew
    Lowell
    Lowrie
    Bard/Kottares

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bossoxAl. Show bossoxAl's posts

I like Youk. to hit 4th. I think he will have a good year. I hope Ellsbury has a good year cause we need some help when the 8th 9th and no.1 come up.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JoeLahoud. Show JoeLahoud's posts

How Papi hits the ball early decides everything. Any of the five studs can hit fourth. Even Drew.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kinchow. Show Kinchow's posts

Peety, el caballito, PEDROIA!!!! Peety is our #4!!!

ok- i'm just kidding. i see the line up as follows:
    L Ellsburry
    R Pedroia
    L Ortiz
    R Bay
    L Drew
    R Youklis
    R Lowell
    S Lowrie
    ? Catcher

I suppose we could flipflop Lowrie and Lowell to keep the whole Lefty/Righty momentum, but i think lowell is too good to bat 8th.
    On another note, i'd be OK with flipping Bay and Youk, but i like Bay's pop behind Papi and i like Youks ability to grind out ABs to keep the innings alive and set up Lowell.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

[Quote]Peety, el caballito, PEDROIA!!!! Peety is our #4!!!

ok- i'm just kidding. i see the line up as follows:
    L Ellsburry
    R Pedroia
    L Ortiz
    R Bay
    L Drew
    R Youklis
    R Lowell
    S Lowrie
    ? Catcher

I suppose we could flipflop Lowrie and Lowell to keep the whole Lefty/Righty momentum, but i think lowell is too good to bat 8th.
    On another note, i'd be OK with flipping Bay and Youk, but i like Bay's pop behind Papi and i like Youks ability to grind out ABs to keep the innings alive and set up Lowell.[/Quote]

Maybe, depending on Ortiz's health, you should flip Drew and Ortiz. I really think Drew is the best 3 hole hitter on the team. He has the best career OBP, I believe, has some pop and has some speed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

[Quote]1. Pedroia
    2. Youk
    3. Bay
    4. Ortiz
    5. Drew
    6. Lowell
    7. Lowrie
    8. catcher
    9. Ellsbury

I think we should start the season with Ells ninth. Let him work out some kinks and get his obp up before we stick him in the lead-off spot.[/Quote]

I actually tried to post a very similar lineup a few hours ago, but the post never got onto the thread. My only difference was I had Drew #3 and By #5. I know that upsets the L R pattern, but it puts the best OBP guys up at the top, ahead of Bay and Ortiz, who have the most power.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Manny shoulda been 3rd (walks more)
    Ortiz shoulda been 4th (more homers)
    Now, Ortiz should bat 5th (less homers now)
    Assuming Ortiz, Lowell and Drew at 85-95%
    1. Ells
    2. Ped
    3. Bay
    4. Youk
    5. Ortiz
    6. Lowell
    7. Drew
    8. Lowrie/Lugo
    9. Zahn/Bard

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ufcchamp. Show ufcchamp's posts

Pedroia R- toughest out leads off
    Drew L- take advantage of hole on right side with Pedroia on 1B
    Youilis R- best hitter hits 3rd
    Ortiz L- classic cleanup guy
    Bay R-
    Lowell R
    Lowrie B-
    Tek B- I think he'll be back
    Ellsbury L- 2nd leadoff

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SOXNVA. Show SOXNVA's posts

Imagine this for half the games

R Pedroia
    R Youk
    L Ortiz
    R Bay
    L Drew
    R Lowell
    L Edmonds
    S Lowrie
    Catcher to be named later

the 2 through 7 hitters and depending on the catcher signed all being long-ball threats. Then Ellsbury can split time with Edmonds. Of course if Drew goes down then Edmonds plays more often but he can split time between CF or RF. If all are healthy and rested, ie beginning of the season, then split time with Ellsbury, You can always bring him in later in the game as a PR and leave him in the OF, but with this kind of power sox should be well ahead of the other teams.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SOXNVA. Show SOXNVA's posts

If you cant tell, I am all for signing Edmonds to a one year contract. The man was featured as the 8th best CF of all time on MLBTV ahead of Kirby Puckett and just behind Bonds. Doesnt have the speed but can catch and still hit. Instead of looking for a 4th outfielder look for a 3rd (Edmonds) and utilize Ellsbury as the 4th while he still matures for another year.

Sections
Shortcuts