Notice: All Boston.com forums will be retired as of May 31st, 2016 and will not be archived. Thank you for your participation in this community, and we hope you continue to enjoy other content at Boston.com.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kittycat6969. Show kittycat6969's posts

#7 Overall Pick for New England

At 5-10, it looks like the pick will be 8th overall. Obviously, there is going to be no McFadden or Chris Long in our cards. I'm not sure any team will covet this selection and make a trade for it. The best players will be 1) Sedrick Ellis, DT, USC 2) Vernon Gholston, DE, Ohio State 3) Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio State 4) James Laurinaitis, ILB, Ohio State

It is my guess that the scouting department is working overtime watching Ohio State game film, as those players make the most sense. Anyone else have thoughts on who they would like if a trade down can not be made. I personally like Laurinaitis and Jenkins. Jenkins will be properly valued at the pick and Laurinatis not only fills a need, but is properly valued at that selection.

AK69

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kittycat6969. Show kittycat6969's posts

Okay, who do you trade with? Would a mid to late 1st rounder and a 3rd-4th rounder make you pull the trigger?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dslack. Show dslack's posts

Wow, a 49er-fan rooting for the Pats! Remember, TB grew up rooting for Montana and your gang.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kittycat6969. Show kittycat6969's posts

WC,

That is funny. I rather enjoy your posts-as they are never rude. I am more comfortable with the #8 pick in this draft than I would have been with one fo the higher selections. BTW-I still remember the draft when you took A. Smith #1 and Cowboys and Chargers took Ware and Merriman. Also, you found diamond in the rough Patrick Willis at #11 last year. My point is that quality can be had for half the price of drafting at #1. Cornerback Jenkins or Inside LB James Laurinaitas (both Ohio State) are valued okay at #8 and both fill replacement needs.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from angel3781. Show angel3781's posts

I don't see the Pats trading this pick unless it involves maybe moving back 2-3 picks while getting extra picks in return, and still being in a position to get a top guy such as James Laurinaitis.

The Pats have to go "D" in the draft due to the aging talent currently playing on that side of the ball. In particular I'd say they will finally go LB despite the fact that some would-be gurus/Patriot insiders/fans would have you believe that BB never drafts a LB in the first round. Granted, the Pats haven't gone LB in the first round thus far in the Belichick era, but I ask you this... where have the picks been in the draft, and tell me who the best LB that was still available at that pick and whether or not he was graded higher than the player that the Pats ultimately drafted at that pick?

As I said in the past when you have a pick thats 24-32, you are mostly like looking at the 3rd or 4th best LB available if there is even one available. Often times there are only 3 LBs that truley grade out as first round talents. The past 2 drafts have flew in the face of my last statement (I know), but before that I'd say my statement definately applied.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from zkopyt. Show zkopyt's posts

I would be very surprised to see the Pats take the 8th pick, more than likely they will trade down since they won't have the 32nd pick this year. I doubt they will take a LB in the first round as BB like to get free agents in thier 4th or 5th year. No matter what happens I have faith that Pioli and BB will do what they think is best for the team in the long run!!!

BB for President

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriotzen. Show patriotzen's posts

Look at it this way - in reality , by virtue of their SB win the pats would end up with the last pick this year if not for the league sanctions (yes I said SB win. We know they're going to win, you know their going to win, get over it, move on...). So the big irony is that without the trade for SFs pick, the earliest they would be able to pick now would be 64th (any trade deals not withstanding), So not only will they be 19-0 and SB champs, they'll have an 8th pick in the draft to deal with as they choose.

sweeeeet.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from slicksteve38. Show slicksteve38's posts

I dont think Laurinitis is declaring for the draft.

He is an underclassman, and I heard he is considering returning to Ohio State.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kittycat6969. Show kittycat6969's posts

Fact is that San Francisco was only able to draft Joe Montana, because the Cowboys took Doug Cosbie. Gil Brandt has reported that it was a divided room and that the Cosbie faction narrowly won out. Cosbie turned into a good pick, but Montana the greatest 3rd rounder of all time. Also, the 49ers jumped in front of the Cowboys to draft Rice in 1985. A great job by Walsh. Those were the two smartest things the Niners ever did. The stupidest thing the team ever did was trade Carles Haley to the Cowboys. That dumb trade may have cost San Fran 2 SB titles. It is wierd how those 2 franchises are so connected. 49ers have very little connection us in the modern era, aside from the Jim Plunkett trade eons ago.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from spinalpap. Show spinalpap's posts

McFadden was never going to be a Patriot. Laurinaitis should be available at #8 or I could easily see them trading down a few spots and pick up an extra 3rd this year and a 2nd next year. The number 8 pick may be more tradeable than a top 3 or 5 pick. This draft has a lot of depth and the difference between the top pick and the number 8 pick is minimal , yet there is a big difference as far as the guaranteed money/contract. The Pays surely did not want a top 5 pick as it would kil them cap wise and I heard it would have been tough for them to trade out of that spot. The #8 pick gives them both the option of using the pick or trading it. Either way I expect them to get the player they want.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from spinalpap. Show spinalpap's posts

To move from #8 to the middle or late 1st round would command at least a second and a 3rd

check out the draft value chart http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft06/news/story?id=2410670 and you can see that the number 8 pick is worth 1,400 points. A drop to say the 18th pick (worth 900) would cost the other team at least 500 value points. This would be a high #2 or a mid 2nd and a low 3rd. If their willing to take a pick in next years draft they could get even more value, maybe even a 1st round pick

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kittycat6969. Show kittycat6969's posts

ZB,

"Incestuous" is the perfect word to describe the Cowboys and the 49ers. BTW-Was Norton on that Niners SB team? Good player, but not as significant as Haley debacle. Also, I liked Steve Young until he started bagging on the Patriots. There is just too much jealousy of the Pats.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kittycat6969. Show kittycat6969's posts

WC,

I don't think Walsh ever would have made the Haley trade to your greatest rival. Walsh was a true genius. He is up there with Lombardi and BB in the annals of FB history.

Rams were not nearly as annoying as Colts fans. Indy is a dicey team sports town and always on this board. What team championships have they ever won aside from last year's fluke (chaulked up to pats injuries-half the defense was injured).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from wd62627. Show wd62627's posts

A Baltimore win over the the Steelers second stringers would lock up 7th for the Niners. KC and Oakland both have a good shot at winning this week also, but I think San Fran has them beat in the tie break. Either way there will be some solid LB's available around then. Connor, Groves, Adibi, Rivers, Crable, Highsmith, and the list goes on. Depending on how the first few picks go, Ryan, Woodson, and Brohm could all be available, opening a perfect opportunity to trade down and still pick up a Highsmith or Wheeler.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from flasox. Show flasox's posts

If Oakland ,KC aqnd Baltimore win and SF loses, we would jump over them to draft at 5.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from longhairjoe. Show longhairjoe's posts

I would imagine CHRIS LONG falling right to the Patriots.
    Hearing Howie Long in an interview answering a question
    about having another chance to play in the NFL for any
    particular coach, Howie mentioned, BELICHICK

I would imagine with Howie's influence for his son
    to have a good NFL career and to be in an organization
    that's is the highest level of the NFL. Howie's a boston boy,
    it would be like homecoming for his son to play for the Patriots.
    a team in which he wanted to play for.

For CHRIS LONG to be playing for VIRGINIA (Al Groh),
    There would be some carry going to the Patriots, similar
    philosophies of defense, he's a perfect fit for New England.
    It may have been the plan from the start, go to VIRGINIA , play for Al Groh,
    could have been something Howie influenced from the time Chris left
    High School? It makes a lot of sense for Belichick to take a DE/OLB in this upcoming draft,
    time table of his players dictates it, and CHRIS LONG has the talent and the pedigree.
    I can see Belichick maneuvering for CHRIS LONG, but with the Patriots at 8th to 10th range,
    he may fall right to the Patriot any how.
    This is Howie Long's kid we're talking about.
    There are probably talks behind the scenes leading up to the draft to make a deal?
    In the end, I would imagine Howie wanting his kid to be a Patriot and
    most of all play for Belichick.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from flasox. Show flasox's posts

Keep in mind that the Browns gave their first draft pick to the Cowboys in the Brady Quinn deal, but may recoup it if they trade Anderson.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from angel3781. Show angel3781's posts

I predict this draft could see the most movement in the first 10 picks that any draft has seen. I know a couple of the posters in here have the Draft pick point chart shoved up their you know whats but in my opinion and it is borne out by the last couple drafts where less stock has been given to the point chart and more given to a teams need.

Prove it!! I think you need to give some specific examples because I happen to disagree with you. Most of the trades from the last couple of drafts have been towards the bottom of the first round i.e. teams giving up late first rounders for future ones with hopes of getting a future pick that can potentially be several picks higher (key word here is "potentially").

I don't doubt that the Pats may entertain trade offers for the 8th pick, but unlike most posters I doubt that the Pats would be willing to go all the way to the bottom of the first round this time around. If they do end up trading this pick, I bet that they will try and move back only a few spots back provided that they would still be in a position to get a player they covet. The Pats' defense is getting older and the fact is that they need playmakers (especially at LB & DS).

I feel that people get too caught up in how the Pats drafted/traded in year's past. They always seem to evalute these moves in a vacuum. When you typically have a 24-32nd pick in round one, you will have a hard time moving up the board. Likewise, if you had coveted a LB via the draft, history suggests that at those picks you are looking at the 3rd, 4th. or even 5th rated player at that position. I feel that when they had the opportunity to move up, they have done so a la Ty Warren. They once had the #6 pick and used it for Richard Seymoure. Both times they were in position to get true playmakers and not just cost effective starters. I think the best way to look at the previous Patriot moves is that they won't over reach and take guys soley based on need such as with the Watson, Makins, & Maroney picks.

But what nobody has ever seen thus far is the Pats having a top pick and trading it away, so in my opinion you guys are just guessing. You can't apply the same philosophy when the pros/cons of taking a top pick is vastly different from that of a low #1. I really do believe if the Pats had been in a position to draft Demarcus Ware or Shawn Merriman, they would have taken them in a heart beat. The difference is that in the past, their decision revolved around whether or not to fill a need position by taking the 3rd or 4th best rated guy, or go the best available player route and get perhapse the 1st or 2nd best rated guy at another position. The financial aspect of these scenarios were secondary considerations. They just in my opinion didn't want to throw away money on guys whose talents didn't warrant this.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from angel3781. Show angel3781's posts

The Pats also have shown that they are willing to spend big money provided that it is for playmakers such as in the cases of Brady, Seymoure, Colvin (when he had back to back 10.5 sack seasons), and Thomas. Guys who were good to solid players but wanted to be payed as elite ones were rightfully dismissed as in the cases of Givens, Patten, & Branch.

All I'm saying is this, don't be suprised if the Pats end up signing both Moss and Samuels to extentions while also using their pick. I think that Moss and proven his worth and although I had previously thought that Asante was a fluke, I now admit that I was wrong and so will BB, and he'll pay the man.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kittycat6969. Show kittycat6969's posts

Faucet,

The Pats will have two picks in the mid 60's and another pick in the 90's. Might they consider going for corners with 2 of these 3 picks? The trolls did this in 2005 and ended up with Hayden and Jackson (2nd and a late 1st). All I've heard-this is the best DB draft in years (depthwise). I will be watching carefully for when the run on these players starts. I guess so many DB's are drafted since they are so interchangeable on special teams and nickel and dime packages. You can just never have enough.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Who cares? We have the best team ever and Bill can pick up great players in the 4th round. We should concentrate on resigning our own players, they are best the league has to offer.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from angel3781. Show angel3781's posts

I hate to be the one to tell you this but we are looking at what could be the biggest turn-over year the team has seen in the Belichick era after this season. Below is the list of players that MIGHT not be back.Tedy Bruschi û MLB retire
    Rodney Harrison û S retire
    Troy Brown û WR retire
    Kyle Brady û TE retire/Cap Casualty (set to make $3MM in 2008)
    Randy Moss û WR UFA
    Asante Samuel û CB UFA
    Roosevelt Colvin û OLB Salary Cap Casualty (set to make $7.6MM in 2008 2nd to only T. Brady)
    Randall Gay ûCB UFA
    Donte Stallworth û WR cut (wonÆt pick up his $6MM option and $3.6MM roster bonus)
    Eugene Wilson û S UFA
    Jabar Gaffney û WR UFA
    Mel Mitchell û S UFA
    Lonnie Paxton û ST UFA
    Larry Izzo û ST UFA
    Kelley Washington ûWR cut (wonÆt pick up his $4MM option bonus)We have 40 players signed through 2008 at a estimated cost of $99MM with a cap ceiling of $116MM. Follow my math, we have $17MM to sign Moss and 12 other players including draft picks. If we cannot restructure some of these cap guys we need to cut them. For example, just cutting Colvin and K. Brady alone frees up enough cap to sign Moss. Well said. Just by looking at this list of players, this is how I see things happening. I feel that Donte Stallworth will be released due to his very prohibitive salary. Taking his place will Jabar Gaffney, who I think has played very well and will be re-signed. Randall Gay will probably be sticking around because our secondary is already suspect and him leaving only makes it worse, not to mention that he'll come reasonably cheap. Eugene Wilson = Gone, Troy Brown = Retired. Asante Samuel is a wild card because I truley believe that BB/Pats will make every effort to re-sign him but the ball is definately in Asante's court. Where things get interesting is with Bruschi and Harrison, both guys may decide to hang it up with a SB win, my gut feeling is that they will be talked into coming back for maybe one more season. Colvin will have to restructure his deal because his cap numbers are too high and he hasn't lived up to it despite being a good player. Moss will most likely be se-signed, otherwise he'll be franchised so either way look for him to stick around next season.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from slicksteve38. Show slicksteve38's posts

Wow...that is brilliant....lets base our decision to sign a player based on what his tattoo says. First of all, thats not what the tat says, it says "get paid" and that has to do with culture as much as being an athlete....do you get paid for your job? He has earned the right to be paid as one of the top 10 corners in the league, as did Law. If the Pats choose not to sign him, so be it, but don't make Samuel out to be the villian here.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from slicksteve38. Show slicksteve38's posts

Who is "we"??

I love it when fans say "we" when talking about their team, as if they are part of the organization or something...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

I think I made my point...

Oh you made your point alright, by listing a bunch of great players who left our system, and yet we still won.

In case you forgot, follow my math, Randy Moss took millions of dollars less to play here, as did Stallworth, as did Bruschi.... etc. At the end of the day this is the first season in the Belicheck era where we actually spent up to the cap, up until now we have been well below it and have 3 rings to show for it. You make it seem like BB and Pioli have forgotten how to draft. Randall Gay wasn't even drafted and Stephan Neal was a wrestler for cripes sakes...?

Also how many other veteran free agents aching to win a ring will be here next season at a discount, probably quite a few. I'd even venture to guess that Moss will take another cap friendly contract just to finish out his career with Tom Brady... again who cares?

Let Pioli worry about the cap number, as a fan I'll just sit back and watch the single greatest football franchise in modern history do it's thing.

Sections
Shortcuts