1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmmyslinski. Show jmmyslinski's posts

8-5... Brady's absence or poor defense to blame

With Cassell at QB this year instead of TB, there has been an increase in the Patriots rushing total yards and rushing touchdowns this year. On the other hand there has been a significant drop in passing TD's and Randy Moss' production significantly. However, the overall production of the offense has been respectable.

It seems the defense has deteriorated drastically. Even before notable injuries to the defense, the red-zone numbers were, and have stayed, aweful! The Patriots brought in Dom Capers to help the secondary, but he has not been able to get things on track. Over and over, the Patriots' rush defense has been able to force 3rd downs. Unfortunately the ability to stop "3rd and whatever" does not exist. An All-Pro defensive line cannot hide old linebackers (see any TE's #'s against the Pats), and a poor secondary (at least O'Neal finally got benched).

I am interested in hearing if people think Brady's absence is why the Pats are 8-5. I believe Cassell has done the job, but the Pats front office dropped the ball thinking a defense can allow over 21 points per game, and be a factor.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

You got it backwards, buddy. The title should be: 8-5, winning record, tied for FIRST in the division - good effort all around by backup QB, offensive line, and stout defense.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Both sides of the team have sustained major injures. If you look, before the injury bug hit the defense they were top five early this season.

But their performance has tapered off quickly as more players hit the IR.

The offense was miserable at first, but has been respectable lately.

Neither group is anything beter than average right now.

The defense was giving up less than 21 points per game when Adalius Thomas was injured. I look at his injury as the straw that broke the camel's back. Playing without Warren the last few weeks has made the defense anemic.

Even with the recent gashings, and I put the Pitt game more on the offense than defense,the Pats defense is still 12th in scoring,while the offense is 16th, behind a ton of teams like the Texans, and Titans that you wouldn't suspect. I mena the Ravens have a better offense than the PAtriots right now.

On balance, factoring all injuries, a drop form the MOST productive offense ever, in the hirsotry of the NFL, to middle of the pack versus a drop from topfive to top fiteen on defense.

Yes, Brady has been a huge loss, no matter what people think about the job Cassel has done(and it is admirable considering the scrutiny) the offense is the major reason this team is sagging. The Pats ahve averaged 5th in scoring over the last ahfl decadee under Brady.

Please . . . just do the math people. We are essentially losing a TD a game based on our average output and our defense is giving up about a fiedl goal or four points more than their usual per season average.

Yes, the offense was the bigger problem, but they are improving. The defense will get healthier and return to something close to their form from earlier this season.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Mighty,

I agree. Putting blame on either side is silly. The offense lost the MVPand the defense lost two probowlers.

And here they are. . in the thick of it.

Stats are nice, but clutch play is better.

Merrweather's sack was perfect. And even Cassel managed to pull out a couple wins with welker and company.

This team can still win . . .but at this point they have to play without any turnovers to do so.

Even the Steelers game was winable until they started turning the ball over.

And minus a couple silly turnovers agains the Jets and a stupid penalty agains the Colts this team could be 10-3.

So I think worrying about this team playing mistake free is more important than worrying about which unit is dragging on the other one.

The red zone stats on both sides of the ball could be much, much better.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

I think it's a combination of things: lack of intensity, terrible red zone offense (having a hard time scoring TDs), terrible red zone defense and 3rd-and-long failures, terrible punt/kick coverage, and so-so play calling on both sides of the ball - again, at critical times. Our ratio of takeaways/giveaways is not so good this year.

There have been very few games where all three phases of the game have come together at the same time for an entire 60 minutes.

Offensive play calling has had to evolve around Cassel's skill/experience level, but on the other hand - often "too conservative" in the red zone - and that's the OC's fault. Our offensive line, RBs, and TEs have not been able to give Cassel much time to throw - so, that is problematic. Has improved some, but still need improvement.

Defensively, we have had a really tough time - not enough pressure by the front 3, our outside LBs having problems covering passes, and our secondary - well, just sucks. Bright spots include Mayo (some would add Merriweather too - but he has been burnt several times too, but was key w/ causing a fumble in the last game).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

m

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

So I think worrying about this team playing mistake free is more important than worrying about which unit is dragging on the other one.

Bingo. Most of our losses come down to key mistakes. But don't worry. BB will have this team in order come February.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

Defense was playing really well until the Jets game. I thought last week though after the first two drives by Seattle our defense played really good, only gave up the one big play to Branch.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

8-5 is such a bad record.I cant bare to look at it.i guess any record compared to last season wouldnt be good.i guess?the running game this year.compared to last year is the same.well last year is up by 300yrds.and our running game isnt doing much of late,and with three games left.it might come to being even.now our secondary is bad,and we need to be more aggressive at the defensive line.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

m

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoLaN87. Show NoLaN87's posts

No doubt Brady's presence in our lineup was able to cover up much of our defensive issues. I feel like we scored a TD on every drive last year while Brady/Welker/Moss just ate up the clock. So, I believe both are equally the problem.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from timesedge. Show timesedge's posts

The injuries hurt the defense more than the offense. But the defense really lost both the colts game and the Jets game. The offense lost the Pittsburgh game and the San Diego game. That's the way I see it anyway...

I think that we've been really good to still be in the hunt inspite of all of the injuries - this really may be Belichick's finest year of coaching ever. I'm hoping that we get into the playoffs this year, but I also can't wait to see what happens next year with Brady and all the other injured players coming back plus the picks that we're going to get in the 1-2nd round (Thanks Chargers - keep losing!!!), and I really hope we sign Asomugha and a few pass rushers. We'd be back at the door of a perfect season again!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

One thing I'd like to add. The seemingly huge decline in the defense has to be attributed somewhat to the offense. In 07 they would quickly get up by 7,14, 21 points. This made opposing offenses predictable,and thus easier to defend. When a team is down by three scores you know they are going to pass mostly. Few teams tried to pound the ball and slow the game down last season. This year they are doing this a lot more. Couple that with all the injuries to key players (plus the obvious losses in the secondary) and the decline on D is understandable. The flip side of the coin is that a lot of the younger players are getting much more PT than they would have under other circumstances. This should help their acclimation to the system. I think Cassel has filled in as well as we could expect, though his timing with Moss seems to still not be up to par. In any case, they have handled it better than most teams would have. How well does anyone think the Colts would do were they to be starting Sorgi, and have Freeney, Sanders, Addai, and Mathis on IR? Return coverage also seems to be slacking this season. Too many times the opposition is starting at the 35 or so. At least they are still in the thick of the playoff race. The way this seems to annoy our inbred friends from Troll country is PRICELESS!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

What is funny is how many people said Moss would impload by now and become a problem in teh locker room and he has been fine all season that makes me smile, as far as the D goes guys, football is like music in that it repeats its self, for a long time pop music was the big thing and then people didnt want to hear that bubble gum crap anymore and so bands like Nirvana and Soundgarden came out and that was the big thing going on and then came Brittney and the Backstreet boys to start all the bubble gum music up all over again and the same thing goes for football teams, when Ty Law left we went out and got Duane Starks to come in and take his place and behind him we had a very young Asante Samuel and a few other young players as well but no clear cut replacment for Law but as the years went by Samuel became a pro bowl CB and we forgot all about the woes that followed the release of Ty Law and now here we are again in the same situation, Samuel was let go and we went out and drafted a bunch of young talent to replace him now in a few years one of our young corners will most likely be "the guy" in the CB core much like Asante was and we will forget all about the bad D of this season but for this season we will have to live with it, we are rebuilding, we went out and got Delta who has been this years version of Duane Starks and Wheatley and Wilhite are the Asante and Randel Gay of the group. We just need to get through this season and hope that next year we will improve and when we do we need to remember that at some point we will lose our next best CB to FA the same way we did with Law and Samuels and we will be right back in this situation all over again and when that happens we just got to remember that in time we will rebuild just like we are doing this season.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sheldong. Show sheldong's posts

It's the defense! Third and anything and I worry. Even third and 25 has me worried. Look at the Jets game. How could we not stop them on third and 16? That one stop would have virtually cemented a division win for us -- but they failed as they have time and time again this season. You cannot blame the lack of third down stops on the offense. It's the defense!

Sections
Shortcuts