1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

9 year old banned from pitching for being too good

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=3553475

Strange story about a 9 year old kid in CT. being banned from league play for pitching too good.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack2. Show fenwayjack2's posts

I live in CT and that's a disgrace. Sue the pants off the league. Sue the coaches individually. Sue them for the emotional distress they're inflicting on a 9 year old. I'm sure they'll consider putting their teams on the field when there's the threat of losing their houses. In fact the attorney should see to it their names are published in the newspapers along with the companies they work for. I'm sure their bosses will love that.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[Quote]I live in CT and that's a disgrace. Sue the pants off the league. Sue the coaches individually. Sue them for the emotional distress they're inflicting on a 9 year old. I'm sure they'll consider putting their teams on the field when there's the threat of losing their houses. In fact the attorney should see to it their names are published in the newspapers along with the companies they work for. I'm sure their bosses will love that.[/Quote]

Wait you are from Boston, your dad was a cop, your brother and sister are racist, you have fired people for taking time off, you played D1 college hockey, and you live in CT.

Isn't convient that everytime some one posts something you have a relivent life story? I am calling shenanigans.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from vissigoth. Show vissigoth's posts

He pitched too well or his pitching was too good. You can't say he pitched too good. Good modifies a noun not a verb.

seriously though that is awfully dickish of the league and it sounds like someone is really just upset that their team is not making it to the playoffs.
    On the other hand I don't think a law suit is great for this child's development either.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

[Quote]He pitched too well or his pitching was too good. You can't say he pitched too good. Good modifies a noun not a verb.

I stand corrected.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jacobspleasesell. Show jacobspleasesell's posts

This is just another sterling example of the "No winners or losers, gotta build the self-esteem of every kid, everyone gets a trophy, we don't keep score" politically correct BS that is a microcosm of what is wrong with the country. No one can be too much better than anyone else or we have to knock them down to the level of everyone else. That way no one else feels bad.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dwdad. Show dwdad's posts

No doubt youth leagues do very objectionable things; I can think of too many to start listing. This may not be one of them.
    I have seen kids of that age who should not be pitching to kids totally out of his class because he is that dominant. It benefits no one, not even the pitcher. When kids enter the higher age group leagues, they are more sorted to competitveness, and you take your lumps when there is an extremely dominant pitcher.
    These are nine year olds, and the issue is not that somoeone is that skilled. The real issue is that he can throw that hard.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Hank Steinbrenner's probably on his way there now with a contract.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from txHeat. Show txHeat's posts

Most ridiculous story I've read in some time. Once again people think they have to baby their kids. So he throws hard. The kids wear equipment (or they should) to protect them when they are batting. All this does is show what a bunch of wimps this country is raising.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from markes8336. Show markes8336's posts

[Quote]No doubt youth leagues do very objectionable things; I can think of too many to start listing. This may not be one of them.
    I have seen kids of that age who should not be pitching to kids totally out of his class because he is that dominant. It benefits no one, not even the pitcher. When kids enter the higher age group leagues, they are more sorted to competitveness, and you take your lumps when there is an extremely dominant pitcher.
    These are nine year olds, and the issue is not that somoeone is that skilled. The real issue is that he can throw that hard.
    [/Quote]

In this case, though, it is that he is skilled. The league admitted that he has never hit a batter, so just throwing hard isn't the issue. It is the fact that he throws hard strikes and no one can hit them. When I was a youth, that kind of skill was rewarded, not punished.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyoe. Show crazyoe's posts

What? My 8 year old and 9 year old just finished playing in a league that was machine pitch at 45 MPH. I even let my 6 year old take some cuts at one practice. And the machine is not very accurate. A couple of kids took one to the ribs.

We are ordering a new machine for next season, but in the meantime the kids learn how to get out of the way. On a team of 13 kids I only had one that was scared at first.

Bring this pitcher to Georgia. My kids would have this pitcher feeling like Mussina pitching to Manny.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyoe. Show crazyoe's posts

[Quote]He pitched too well or his pitching was too good. You can't say he pitched too good. Good modifies a noun not a verb.

seriously though that is awfully dickish of the league and it sounds like someone is really just upset that their team is not making it to the playoffs.
    On the other hand I don't think a law suit is great for this child's development either.[/Quote]

There ain't no grammar in baseball!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from txHeat. Show txHeat's posts

[Quote]

There ain't no grammar in baseball![/Quote]

And apparently there is not much common sense in CT!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from gickchum. Show gickchum's posts

there was a kid in my league that threw it twice as hard as everyone else

95% of batters would strike out, but once in a while someone would get a hit

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

It sounds reasonable to "promote" the kid to a different league. According to the article, and articles rarely reflects reality, the kid is head and shoulders above the rest of the kids in the league. It seems reasonable to promote the kid into an older age bracket where he is pitching to kids that are on his level. It would be more challenging to the pitcher and and more fun for the kids n his current league.

They are only 9 years old. It should be about having fun and doing what's in the best interest of the kids - all of the kids.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SleeStack1. Show SleeStack1's posts

It does appear to be about safety, not a matter of an automatic loss for the opposing team.

The above post is a great example. What would everyone say if this story was exactly the same except that this pitcher had already beaned a 9yr old in the face at 40mph?

Would your opinions change? What if this pitcher could throw 50mph? Would that be ok too?

Just because he hasn't done it yet, doesn't mean it can't happen.

These are 9 year olds people, 9 year olds!

The best option for all is putting this kid where he can throw 40 and still have fun while not being dangerous to other NINE YEAR olds.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

[Quote] When I was in Little League, admitedly a long time ago, there was a kid who was 6 feet tall and 180, and the hardest thrower by far.
    Often there were complaints from parents that he was dangerous, but no one paid them any heed.
    Then one night, he hit a 10 year old kid in the face with a fastball. The kid lost four front teeth. He still has jaw pain today.
    After that incident, the league finally ordered the big fella off the mound. He could still play any of the other positions, but no more pitching. It was a safety measure that came one pitch too late.
    [/Quote]

I disagree....there is risk in life. I broke the fibula of a girl in high school via a batted ball I hit playing co-ed softball in gym. Could have been boy's leg just as easily. Just bad luck. Move on.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from eddiewilson. Show eddiewilson's posts

this article just proves what a cry baby society we have become. so the kid is good, they want to punish him for it? what if the kid wants to grow up to become a pitcher, now they won't let him pitch? if they want to move him to an older league, then fine. but don't hold back the kid because he is "too good". sorry people, no matter how good you are at something, there is always someone out there that is better. society better get used to that.

society has become a joke, constantly whining about everything. just last year a school banned planning tag at recess because they didn't want kids getting hurt. are you serious? another school banned little kids (3 year olds i think) from hugging because they thought it could be construed as sexual. what?!?!?!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[Quote]No doubt youth leagues do very objectionable things; I can think of too many to start listing. This may not be one of them.
    [/Quote]

I agree they should have him play with 10 or 11 year olds. Wait until high school where he can earn a contract or scholarship to embrass his classmates.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mikegosox. Show Mikegosox's posts

This is a bunch of bull. I am from CT. My son last year was on the 9 year old New Milford team that won Regionals for the Cal Ripken league. We had at least 3 kids that threw over 40 miles an hour- easy. The hardest thrower had the most strike outs too but good hitting teams killed him. The harder you throw the harder the hit. I can't believe this article is true! What a joke! The kid in the article is small too. Usually, at this age there is a big discrepancy in size which makes it tough for the smaller players, but that's just too bad. Good players adjust. The league should be ashamed. BTW, my son's 10 year old team lost to New Canaan in the States this year. New Canaan ended up going to the world series. Great age for baseball. 10 and 11 year olds would hit this kid easily. Even larger size and skill discrepancies..

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MannyManic. Show MannyManic's posts

The real question is how young can we sign them?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from txHeat. Show txHeat's posts

If you watch a video of this story there is some interesting information. Turns out this boy's team was in the process of going undefeated which would have meant the 3-time defending league champ would not repeat. That team is the league president's team. Doesn't appear to be really a story about a 9 year old and his arm, but an old guy with an ego.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyoe. Show crazyoe's posts

[Quote]This is a bunch of bull. I am from CT. My son last year was on the 9 year old New Milford team that won Regionals for the Cal Ripken league. We had at least 3 kids that threw over 40 miles an hour- easy. The hardest thrower had the most strike outs too but good hitting teams killed him. The harder you throw the harder the hit. I can't believe this article is true! What a joke! The kid in the article is small too. Usually, at this age there is a big discrepancy in size which makes it tough for the smaller players, but that's just too bad. Good players adjust. The league should be ashamed. BTW, my son's 10 year old team lost to New Canaan in the States this year. New Canaan ended up going to the world series. Great age for baseball. 10 and 11 year olds would hit this kid easily. Even larger size and skill discrepancies..[/Quote]

That is what I was saying earlier. We have 8 year olds hitting off a pitching machine doing 45MPH. In the kid pitch lagues we easily have many kids pitching over 40MPH.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mikegosox. Show Mikegosox's posts

[Quote]

That is what I was saying earlier. We have 8 year olds hitting off a pitching machine doing 45MPH. In the kid pitch lagues we easily have many kids pitching over 40MPH.[/Quote]

Last winter a few of our kids could hit 70 mph in the batting cage- consistently. I know the balls are straight but still... Does this kid have a splitter or something else besides heat? Doubt they'd let him use breaking balls at this age.

This is obviously, as pointed out, a ploy by the league to undermine the kid and his team's success. Has nothing to do with his skills.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mikegosox. Show Mikegosox's posts

[Quote]40mph for a nine year old is not even average hear in florida,my nine year old throws 44mph,i have my own radar gun,and he is not considered hard,i have my own AAU team and we played nine and under last year,and faced kids throwing 55mph+,little up north sucks compared to down in the hot weather states,my nine yearold would crush 40mph pitching.[/Quote]