1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evans24RF. Show Evans24RF's posts

A-rod staying in NY, Lock up Lowell Now?

That's not surprising. ARod has made no secret of his desire to stay and win a WS with the Yankees. And if I am the Yankees, I want to keep ARod from exercising his opt out clause, keep him off the market, especially keeping him away from the Red Sox. That would a PR nightmare for the Yankees if ARod were to go to Boston. King George would blow a gasket for sure.

I agree that the RS should lock-up Lowell, maybe another 2 years with a club option for a third year. He has a good stick, plays great D, and is a clubhouse leader.

I can see the Red Sox trying to get cute and letting the Lowell situation play out until after the season is over. They do have options, including moving Youks over to 3b and look to acquire a 1b via trade or FA. They could also possibly move Lugo to 3b, and look yet again for another SS, but I doubt that Lugo will get moved over. Maybe they use Crisp and player X in a trade to try and acquire a 1b or 3b? Can the Red Sox offer arbitration to Lowell and retain his rights into 2008?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from angel3781. Show angel3781's posts

Lowell is an aging thirdbaseman. I say the Sox should go either one of two possible directions:

1.) Try and sign Mark Texeira to play 1B and move Youkilis over to 3B.

2.) Try and sign Miguel Cabrera to play 3B.

These are two young power hitters that would give our offense a boost for next season.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosox1489. Show bosox1489's posts

MSNBC the hot bed of stories when it comes to sports. Here one story I dug up the MSNBC also reported.
    NBCSports.com news services
    Updated: 8:08 p.m. ET Nov 4, 2004
    Report: Nomar would
    play 2nd for Yankees
    Nomar signed with the Cubs.
    A-Rod doesn't sign with the Yankees because of two words SCOTT BORAS. everyone of Scott Boras players have gone the free agent road. I'm not saying A-Rod doesn't resign with the Yankees but it will be a totally different deal then the one he has now. I believe with Scott Boras pulling the strings again A-Rod Opts out.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from cutz11. Show cutz11's posts

Yea, with Borass, A-Rod will, and SHOULD opt-out. I say should, becuase he might as well see what and where he can get a good contract, and with a team that has a chance to win a WORLD SERIES. And he's not gonna get a chance to win a World Series with the Yankees any time soon. So, if he wants a chance to WIN a World Series he should opt-out.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sjddaj. Show sjddaj's posts

To resign Lowell is a no-brainer.

I would lean toward that even if A-Rod was opting out. I wrote this just the other day "it is easy for a Sox fan say 'lets sign A-Rod'" when we don't have to pay his salary. He is obviously the best player, but I don't feel he is worth it. Especailly in a position where we are really not that weak in (3b) to where we have Lowell or even Youk.

I would rather resing them, and with ALL OF THAT LEFT OVER MONEY, go after a top notch player in a more needy area like CF, and as always a SP.

***** Some of you are going ask about SS. But, after years of pursueing, and finally paying a nice amount of 9mil for Lugo, the Sox aren't about to just drop him and eat is salary after just a 1/2 season of bad play.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from quint869. Show quint869's posts

Wasn't quite the way i read it, he was here, but there wasn't really talks because his schedule was signing in late may not early may.
    Yankees jumped the gun because they really needed him, and Clemens was open to starting back early, his agents called around and told teams to make their pitch.

Yankees offered 25million, and Henricks and the team talked to the Rocket and told them the price was 28million pro-rated, Clements took that to George and his sons for clearence, got it, and the Rocket.

The Yankees were the only team what wanted him in early June, everyone else had him coming back more to last year's schedule.

There is no reason to lock up Lowell now, we should wait till the end of the season to decide, first to see who else may be available, but also because Lowell is prone to a second-half drop-off in production, so you have to weigh out a full season.

There won't be many teams signing a FA 3B this offseason, 5 at the most, and none of them would offer more money and a better chance to win than Boston. And Lowell likes it here, if we offer him a competitive package, he will stay.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeffg316. Show jeffg316's posts

I actually like the idea of getting Texeira and moving youk to third.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from quint869. Show quint869's posts

And that sits true with the Red Sox too, can't talk to Lowell and ignore Schilling.

Yankees won't talk to A-Rod during the season because the first more is A-Rod's, he has to decide whether or not to opt out, and he won't do that during the season, he would be stupid to sign an extension during the season, he could get more with the opt-out clause almost being used.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jamroz. Show jamroz's posts

As a Boras client I am sure that he will end up opting out to see what deal he can get on the open market.

When JD Drew opted out of his contract I said, "Who's going to be stupid enough to sign him for more money?"

The Sox were.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosox1489. Show bosox1489's posts

Former Dodgers GM Fred Claire believes the Yankees will only stop Rodriguez from exercising his out clause if they offer him something massive, like ten years and $300MM.

looks a little like I've been saying all along its going to take 8-10 years @ 30+M a year...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from eric6675. Show eric6675's posts

I heard about A-Rod on ESPN this morning. It is to the Yankees advantage to resign him becasue they still have thrity million left coming their way from Texas. If A-Rod opts out that money stops. Not to mention they lose one of the greatest modern day players. What Boras and A-Rod are looking for is between $30-$32 million. If A-Rod does opt out Boras has already made it known the Yankees are not going to be in contention. So to alteast have a chance at retaining him, the Yankees have to negotiate midseason. Now what does this say to Posada and Mo? We care more about A-Rod and in the offseason we will worry about you. Even as Mo has had a shaky start he is still the best in the game and Posada is the only catcher to get better with age. Any team would be happy to have them.

Should A-Rod come to the Sox, he would be SS, Lowell is going no place.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosox1489. Show bosox1489's posts

Take Manny off your list he is a 5/10 man.... he can Veto any trade....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosox1489. Show bosox1489's posts

When A-Rod sign for 10/252 in 2001, the market actually went down some.

2001: Average Salary: $2,654,403.00 Minimum Salary: $200,000.00

2002: Average Salary: $2,383,235.00 Minimum Salary: $200,000.00

2003: Average Salary: $2,555,476.00 Minimum Salary: $300,000.00

2004: Average Salary: $2,486,609.00 Minimum Salary: $300,000.00

2005: Average Salary: $2,632,655 Minimum Salary: $316,000.00

2006: Average Salary: $2,866,544 Minimum Salary: $327,000.00

http://www.baseball-almanac.com

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from niz-58. Show niz-58's posts

There were rumors to that effect last year, but they were just that, rumors. Nothing substantial ever came of it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from yankee-diva. Show yankee-diva's posts

There are thousands who actually call this show and discuss their opinion.

That was the keyword of your post. These are opinions. First of all Russo hates the yankees and that is what makes the show. They argue about them. They talk about what the Post says, which is in the lurid paper market, by how they followed A-Rod and caught him with another woman.Personally as a yankee fan I hate the show. They constantly put down the yankees and have no faith in them. They rarely say anything nice at all about them. Second most of my yankee fan friends like A-Rod. And I have always supported him......even last year. There are plenty of A-Rod fans. And as for players on the team not liking him? Watch the yankee games sometimes. People talk to him in the dugout. He jokes around with the guys. Even Jeter. The things you read in the papers are not always true. Do you believe everything the papers say about Manny? There was last year when some yankee fans in NY were booing him. It was a disgrace. But it had nothing to do with not liking A-Rod. They didn't like how he was playing. Not him personally. And players in Fenway get booed also. It isn't just a strange thing that happens in Yankee stadium. So Vic is not FOS as you so nicely said. You have your opinion. But it doesn't make it so. That is why they are opinions and not fact.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from yankee-diva. Show yankee-diva's posts

Yes, Mike is the yankee fan and Chris Russo is the SF Giants fan. He ( Chris or Dog ) hates the yankees. I'm glad you like it. They have lots of fans and obviously you are one. I am not. I can't stand Dog. If he could find some way to put down the yankees and their fans he will find a way.( I expect that is why you like it so much......LOL ) But you have to admit they are just expressing their opinions. Like you and Vic are doing. ( BTW, Vic is a he......not a she ) You expressed you didn't know why he was on this board expressing his opinion. But you as a sox fan are telling yankee fans that you know more then they do about their team. Is it possible that a yankee fan might not know more about his team then a sox fan? How would you feel if a yankee fan expressed his or her opinion that they knew more about the sox then you did? Wouldn't that rile you up a bit? Maybe yankee fans are on here to keep the balance. Not everything a sox fan thinks about the yankees is true. And vice versa. We all win out by listening to others opinions.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from yankee-diva. Show yankee-diva's posts

Diva

I will let his childish behavior(cursing and calling names) speak for itself = )

He must be a REAL fan of mike and the dog, no doubt about it.

That's for sure!! LOL

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from yankee-diva. Show yankee-diva's posts

Besides, he is having a banner season this year and seems to be enjoying himself to the max, and the Yankees, no stupid louts, have already changed their MO and will negotiate during the season with him. He is staying put,

I hope you are right Fred........because I really want him to stay. I can't imagine him playing for a team against us. And I hope that is what Cashman is thinking........it would come back to bite us on the butt if they let him get away.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from eddiewilson. Show eddiewilson's posts

it all depends on if arod really wants to stay in NY or not. you guys can guess all you want but no one really knows except for him. he says he really wants to stay but obviously that could change with money. however, arod has repeatedly said he wants to stay and that he is finally fitting in with the yankee clubhouse. he honestly looks happier than he has since joining the yankees. i think if stein offers arod a very good deal, he'll take it without testing the market (again this relies on if arod really wants to stay). i'm not sure arod is looking for a huge raise but a longer contract. i think if he is offered somewhere in the $25 million range for maybe 7,8 years, maybe 10, then he'd be stupid not too take it. who knows....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosox1489. Show bosox1489's posts

I would try and keep schilling and Lowell. There are others on the redsox payroll that could go to avoid paying a luxary tax. Lowell is already making 9M a year, add1M give him 3/30M Schilling will take a 1 year 13M deal.

M.Clement 9.5M on the DL

Joel Pineiro 4M (Manny Delcarmen)

Julian Tavarez 3.35M (Jon Lester or Clay Buchholz)

Mike Timlin 2.8M ( Craig Hansen)

Eric Hinske 5.725M (Anyone will cost less then 5+M to paly on the redsox bench)

Wily Mo Pena 1.875M (Jacoby Ellsbury)

== 27.25M

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosox1489. Show bosox1489's posts

I agree, Red Sox get a chance to sign A-Rod they need to jump on it. but its going to take more the 240-260M.

Former Dodgers GM Fred Claire believes the Yankees will only stop Rodriguez from exercising his out clause if they offer him something massive, like ten years and $300MM.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from yankee-diva. Show yankee-diva's posts

OK........here is my next question for you GoRedSox2008. Do you think the yankees would be stupid enough to NOT keep A-Rod and instead let him go to the sox? Or the Angels? Or anyone else? Would they damage their future in their division? Over money? They have been known to pay some astronomical amounts in the past to keep or to get players. The only way I could see it happening is if A-Rod does not WANT to stay in NY. And he might not.....I don't know what he is thinking. But then neither does anyone else. He sure looks happy there this year. Fans are happy with him. Because when or if it comes down to the money........I think he stays. Keep in mind that the sox cannot talk to A-Rod until or if he opts out. In the mean time Cashman and Boras will be talking all that time. Posada and Mo have been yankees and will continue to be yankees. That is not a problem. They won't let them go either. And Jeter gets paid very handsomely for being a yankee not counting endorsments. Which he makes plenty from. I know you are just salivating at A-Rod becoming a sox, but I just don't think that will happen. I don't think the yankees will let that happen, which is why they have decided to break with tradition......yet again....and talk about extending his contract before the end of the season.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from yankee-diva. Show yankee-diva's posts

LOL I know Vic.....just thought I would give it one last try.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from yankee-diva. Show yankee-diva's posts

Yes, I saw that too. But don't think it won't be discussed or talked about. Cashman and Boras talk alot. I just don't think anything formally will be done til after the season. They know the yankees are interested in keeping A-Rod. That is the most important part. As I said though.....if A-Rod doesn't WANT to stay with the yankees it won't matter.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from yankee-diva. Show yankee-diva's posts

Maybe Boras is planning on asking for a share of the profits from the new stadium too. LOL.....can't put anything past that man.