1. You have chosen to ignore posts from catsduck. Show catsduck's posts

AL/NL All-Star Rosters announced!

Why does Amalie B. seem suprised that Beckett and Dice-K are missing?  Neither deserve to be there, IMO.  If any other pitcher from the Sox were to go, I'd say Lester is more worthy than Beckett or Matsuzaka this year.  I'm actually suprised that the Rays aren't better represented, maybe by another pitcher, at least. 

Which brings me to the biggest pile of baloney in all that is the All-Star Game- the fact that every team must be represented.  We're talking about adults, right?  Not Little League?  The only exception should be to a player representing the home stadium club, if none gets voted in.  Other than that, you only end up losing players more deserving because MLB wants every team represented. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctopp99. Show ctopp99's posts

[Quote]lol.  how in gods damn world did jason varitek make the all star game??????????????????????????????????????????????????[/Quote]

Ask the players..  they voted him in!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsinruin. Show bruinsinruin's posts

Is it possible that Teri Francona promised JV on May 21st, when Tek's OPS was .891, that he would select him for the All-Star game? Talk about being a man of his word. I always thought Mike Sharperson was the worst player that would ever appear in an all-star game. . . . . little did I know that the 2008 version Jason Varitek would emerge as a contender.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lethrneck. Show lethrneck's posts

I disagree with Varitek as a selection.  Sure we all know he is a great catcher, but he wasn't voted in by the fans and this  year he is a rally killer offensively.

Mike Lowell deserved to be that selection.  His play at 3rd base plus his bat have kept the Sox in the chase this year.  AND, he was the MVP of the World Series last year.  That alone should have qualified him for selection.

Francona made those picks and he should be ashamed that he didn't pick Lowell who has done so much for him.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[Quote]I disagree with Varitek as a selection.  Sure we all know he is a great catcher, but he wasn't voted in by the fans and this  year he is a rally killer offensively.

Mike Lowell deserved to be that selection.  His play at 3rd base plus his bat have kept the Sox in the chase this year.  AND, he was the MVP of the World Series last year.  That alone should have qualified him for selection.

Francona made those picks and he should be ashamed that he didn't pick Lowell who has done so much for him.[/Quote]

What is he supposed to do? He first needs to make sure that every team is representated and then fill out his roster. On top of that is he supposed to have his whole starting 9 there?

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtDog78. Show DirtDog78's posts

Ha, 1st Dusty took Kinsler spot as the starting 2nd baseman in AZ Statem, which made Ian transfer to Missouri, now Dusty took Kinsler spot at the all star game too. Poor I.K.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from boston7066. Show boston7066's posts

With 7 Sox being voted in and a series in L.A. immediately after the break,  I wonder how much help it will be having the game in New York (not that much travel time from Boston) instead of in a place like San Francisco or Milwaukee  where you would have a more significant and longer  span of travel time. It's too bad the first series after the break is in LA- and frankly, it's too bad Varitek made it b/c he more than anyone needs the rest- but I think and hope that having it in NY will make the travel schedule for the players and Sox coaches a little easier....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jayrod. Show jayrod's posts

vote longoria in

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from woobie2. Show woobie2's posts

[Quote]I disagree with Varitek as a selection.  Sure we all know he is a great catcher, but he wasn't voted in by the fans and this  year he is a rally killer offensively.

Francona made those picks and he should be ashamed that he didn't pick Lowell who has done so much for him.[/Quote]

Truer words were never spoken.  Shame on Francona.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from AEdgett. Show AEdgett's posts

My biggest beef is joe crede. JOE CREDE? I'm sorry, but both Evan Longoria and Mike Lowell are having better seasons and are more valuable to their team than Joe Crede. The players really screwed up on this one.

Lowell:.302 13HR 54RBI .361OBP

Crede:.261 15 HR 47RBI .338OBP

Longoria: .281 BA 16 HR 52 RBI .353OBP

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pfitz7. Show pfitz7's posts

Mike lowell should be there[Quote]

AL pitchers and bench

Posted by Amalie Benjamin, Globe Staff July 6, 2008 02:42 PM

Brought to you by manager Terry Francona and the American League player votes, here are the pitchers and reserves for the American League for the All-Star game. Because the AL has a DH voted on by the fans, Francona had one less spot to fill than Hurdle did.

Jonathan Papelbon, J.D. Drew, and Jason Varitek were added to the four Red Sox starters to make seven Red Sox on the All-Star team. Neither Josh Beckett nor Daisuke Matsuzaka made the squad.

Pitchers

Scott Kazmir, Rays
    George Sherrill, Orioles
    Roy Halladay, Blue Jays
    Mariano Rivera, Yankees
    Jonathan Papelbon, Red Sox
    Justin Duchscherer, Athletics
    Joe Nathan, Twins
    Joakim Soria, Royals
    Cliff Lee, Indians
    Francisco Rodriguez, Angels
    Ervin Santana, Angels
    Joe Saunders, Angels

Reserves

J.D. Drew, Red Sox
    Jason Varitek, Red Sox
    Joe Crede, White Sox
    Carlos Quentin, White Sox
    Grady Sizemore, Indians
    Carlos Guillen, Tigers
    Justin Morneau, Twins
    Milton Bradley, Rangers
    Ian Kinsler, Rangers
    Michael Young, Rangers
    Dioner Navarro, Rays

[/Quote]

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pfitz7. Show pfitz7's posts

Mike Lowell should have been named[Quote]

AL pitchers and bench

Posted by Amalie Benjamin, Globe Staff July 6, 2008 02:42 PM

Brought to you by manager Terry Francona and the American League player votes, here are the pitchers and reserves for the American League for the All-Star game. Because the AL has a DH voted on by the fans, Francona had one less spot to fill than Hurdle did.

Jonathan Papelbon, J.D. Drew, and Jason Varitek were added to the four Red Sox starters to make seven Red Sox on the All-Star team. Neither Josh Beckett nor Daisuke Matsuzaka made the squad.

Pitchers

Scott Kazmir, Rays
    George Sherrill, Orioles
    Roy Halladay, Blue Jays
    Mariano Rivera, Yankees
    Jonathan Papelbon, Red Sox
    Justin Duchscherer, Athletics
    Joe Nathan, Twins
    Joakim Soria, Royals
    Cliff Lee, Indians
    Francisco Rodriguez, Angels
    Ervin Santana, Angels
    Joe Saunders, Angels

Reserves

J.D. Drew, Red Sox
    Jason Varitek, Red Sox
    Joe Crede, White Sox
    Carlos Quentin, White Sox
    Grady Sizemore, Indians
    Carlos Guillen, Tigers
    Justin Morneau, Twins
    Milton Bradley, Rangers
    Ian Kinsler, Rangers
    Michael Young, Rangers
    Dioner Navarro, Rays

[/Quote]

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheBearfromCranston. Show TheBearfromCranston's posts

Choosing Varitek is a joke and insult to all other players.  This call by Tito is as bad as the hit and run call with Varitek and Lowell last week in Tampa!  How does the master of talking in circles justify this choice?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctopp99. Show ctopp99's posts

[Quote]Is it possible that Teri Francona promised JV on May 21st, when Tek's OPS was .891, that he would select him for the All-Star game? Talk about being a man of his word. I always thought Mike Sharperson was the worst player that would ever appear in an all-star game. . . . . little did I know that the 2008 version Jason Varitek would emerge as a contender.  [/Quote]

I will tell you again the PLAYERS VOTED HIM IN!!!!  PAY ATTENTION!!!!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctopp99. Show ctopp99's posts

[Quote]The players picked it.[/Quote]
    Finally someone who knows what they are talking about!!!!  people should learn facts before they open their mouths :)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctopp99. Show ctopp99's posts

[Quote]

Francona didn't pick him!!! The players did!!!!!

Understand yet?

[/Quote]

I think they will NEVER get it...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimnagle. Show jimnagle's posts

I too am shocked that Lowell isn't there, in particular since his own manager could have (and should have) selected him.  You know A-Rod is going to get the starter votes (although Lowell is a better defensive third-baseman, just as A-Rod is a better shortstop than Jeter).  But are you telling me that anyone would rather have Joe Crede and/or Carlos Guillen ahead of Lowell?

Besides his elite defense at third base, Lowell is hitting .300 and has 55 RBI's despite missing some weeks to injury.  He has always been a great defender, clutch RBI man and first-class leader throughout his career.  And don't forget, Mike Lowell has the highest career fielding percentage of all MLB third basemen all-time.  Brooks Robinson, generally conceded to be the gold standard for 3B defense, is second.

For the first time, I've begun to wonder about Tito lately.  I mean, having Mike Lowell run into the last out of the game the other night?  I love Lowell, as you can tell, but a runner he's not.  But the non-selection of Mikey to the All-Star roster was an unfathomable and incomprehensible  betrayal on his part.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50Otis. Show 50Otis's posts

Selecting "Captain Over-rated" is an embarrassment to baseball. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from u240robert. Show u240robert's posts

Varitek should not be going, thats insane
    and not Lowell ?
    I can see possibly picking a Tampa Ray 
    over Lowell, but not Varitek.
    That may be one of the worse 
    selections I've ever seen.
    Its one thing when the fans vote,
    another when the manager picks him.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BuzzardBoots. Show BuzzardBoots's posts

Anyone bashing Francona for "picking" Varitek doesn't deserve to have any say.  The players voted in Varitek - you know, the people he actually works with day-in, day-out... Perhaps to those that play the game, it's not simply a Fantasy Baseball draft.  Perhaps there is some integrity and awareness of HOW a player plays the game, not just what's on his stat-sheet at the mid-way point.

Educate yourselves before blindly ripping into the manager for playing favorites.  Do any of you even know the full process of how the teams are chosen? 

No?  Then keep your inane comments to yourselves...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmbrown79. Show jmbrown79's posts

Whoa, lets remember something, Francona had nothing to do with Drew, Varitek, or Paplebon... They were all voted for by AL players.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/allstar08/news/story?id=3475091

Francona picked Duchscherer, Nathan, Sherrill, Soria, Navarro, and Guillen.  And Guillen, Duch, Sherrill, and Soria were all the only players from their team.  All other pitchers and reserves were picked by the AL Players. 

You really can't argue the starters that much, yes Ramirez should be on the bench, Ichiro is having an off year and Kinsler should probably start over Pedroia, but they all deserve to be there.  Especially if you take into account the second half of 2007, which you should when voting for an AS.  Anyone can play well for half a season and then disappear. 
    If Francona would have picked Varitek then he probably would have declined, but when your peers make a choice, you can't decline...so get over it.  Varitek is an AS according to what the players in the AL think of him, that should tell you that he is more than just his Battinge Average. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from LowellConnection. Show LowellConnection's posts

[Quote]What is he supposed to do? He first needs to make sure that every team is representated and then fill out his roster. On top of that is he supposed to have his whole starting 9 there?

First of all, Mike Lowell, deserves to be on the all-star team, much more than Tek does.   And this would have been a very special all-star team for him to play on.   If you read any of the articles on Boston.com, Mike had his first professional hit on that field, and his first professioal game on that field.   It means a lot to him, and he is so more deserving than Tek is this year for sure.   I feel bad for Mikey, and hope he doesn't harbor any hard feelings toward anyone.   He's a great guy, but does seem to get overlooked way too often.   For all it's worth Mikey, we fans wanted you on that team.   And Tito, if you had anything to do with him not being there this year, well, shame on you, and I've lost respect for you, for making such a big mistake.   You say how much Mike Lowell means to this team, well, you just really disappointed a man, who is a true professional, not a whiner and complainer like others on the team, and ALWAYS plays his best! Tek, on the all-star team, lmaooooooo!!!!!!!! What a joke!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from VJR123. Show VJR123's posts

it's got to be really embarassing when you have 7 all-stars and your 4 games out.

hopefully yankee fans will keep the batteries at home.

Sections
Shortcuts