1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ricky1554atl. Show ricky1554atl's posts

Another great move by Pioli...

As I've stated in other posts here today, I think we gave Vrabel away. However, if the Patriots were going to cut him for his salary....then it doesn't matter. We would lose him anyway. I'm not upset over losing Vrabel. We have young linebackers to take his place and will be drafting more soon. I did think we would get another pick, maybe a 4th for our two veterans. There were other teams, TB and Detroit, trying to get Cassel today. Do you think BB just went with KC out of friendship? This was the best offer, apparently. I still want BB to run this show

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tojo. Show tojo's posts

At the beginning of the season fans complained that "the wrong Matt was cut". At the end of the year fans whined about the old defense and aging linebackers. I continue to believe BB knows more than me, every other fan, and all the ESPN analysts.

Vrabel was done. The trade was a favor to him (as opposed to being cut), not Pioli.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kmaxx. Show Kmaxx's posts

I think anointing Matt a Franchise QB at this point is a little generous. Let see how he performs this year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

It appears that the Pats have placed a lot of confidence in their ability to utilse draft picks. Two key players from the team have been delved for a 2nd rounder. I'm as disapponted as I am intrigued. We'll see...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Vrabel was a salary dump. I thought he was a likely cut. But Reiss was just talking on the "chat" that Sean Smith has it on good sources that the inclusion of Vrabel was a way to clear salary from the books.

Smart move.

As far as Cassel getting "only" a second rounder, I can't help but think that if NE traded him to Arizona for the #31 three quarters of the people repeating that would be happy they got a first rounder, And the only thing seperating the two picks is three selections.

In short a #34 is much more valuable than people give it credit for.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Also, we will se how smart Pioli is next year based on how well Cassel does.

I can't wiat until he crashes to earth and people in KC will be eating his luinch for sending the #34 away to rent an ineffectual veteran and a QB who needs recievers to make yards for him.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PaulK3. Show PaulK3's posts

Excellent move by Scott Pioli, who gets it about Cassel.

The Patriots got pretty reasonable value for Cassel, given that the Chiefs have to pay his $14 million dollar cost and he's only franchised for 1 year. Don't go by traditional point ratings for second round picks. First, it's #34, not some back-of-the-round pick that the Patriots usually have.

Second, the traditional draft choice point ratings vastly underrate the usefulness of a #34 pick, just as they vastly overrate the #1 pick. The Patriots get a quality player signed for 5 years or so, for relative peanuts. Remember that the Patriots' scouting staff is still the absolute best in the NFL, and they will find a twenties or teens grade player who fell through the cracks. They found Cassel!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Ever the voice of reason, Z.

Look back and look closely.

God bless the kid, it was fun . . .

but he sucks.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Well he failed the Kerry Collins test.

If you can't throw 30 TDs with Randy Moss you are doomed forever to be a "caretaker" QB.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

I thought the Kerry Collins test was the ability to stagger from side to side while smoking a cigar and exuding beligerence.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportstalk. Show sportstalk's posts

Except that the draft is a crap shoot & Cassel is a known commodity. If you are right that they got good value then virtually all of the NFL analysts currently working in the media were wrong, since they all placed a higher value on Cassel prior to the deal. And so far the vast majority of the post trade analysis I see seems to feel the trade value weighs strongly in favor of the Chiefs. Except for Mike Reiss, who seems to feel that since the deal was "necessary", it was a good deal for the Pats. Personally I'm still stunned that people can insist this is a great trade for the Pats but whatever....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

/

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

I'm going to assume from the screen name that timberwolves is either a neighbor of mine or somebody who roots for that wretched team, and so I feel it only fitting to remind him that there was (is) no shortage of people right here on our beloved prairie who treated the once and future Kevin Garnett the same way.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Man,

Let's put it this way.

KC just gave up a boderline first rounder for a free agent that NE couldn't afford to keep, and who no one else was bidding on.

If they really wanted to hurt NE they could have waited one season until NE was forced to release him and gotten him for free.

The end of this is that people here assume there was this large market for Cassel that NE missed out on. But that would need to be proven. And as it stands it appears there wasn't, and most other GMs thougt exactly what I just wrote:

You don't trade draft picks for a free agent, even if he is tagged. Especially when the team who tagged him has no intention of keeping him.

Zero leverage. What they got should amaze people.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

No that is the Joe Namath test, and it only works in Atlantic City and the beligerence has to be directed at the opposite gender.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

It can't have been ten years since that "released from jail" video was all over ESPN.

How soon we forget.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I could never forget that look of smarm and menace. LOL.

It was like a moving Time cover.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from vtcat. Show vtcat's posts

Understanding the dynamics of the trade, doesn't mollify me much. Logic tells me that, if a team will draft, as a 1-10 pick, an untried college QB, who generally takes 4-5 years to mature into a serviceable NFL player (if they make it), they would value a tested, talented, winning QB much more. The get-back for Cassels is a disappointment, considering all of the above reasons. Vrabel is more than a throw in player. He has credentials that warrant more than him just being a rider on the Cassels deal. Bummer!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[Quote]Man,

Let's put it this way.

KC just gave up a boderline first rounder for a free agent that NE couldn't afford to keep, and who no one else was bidding on.

If they really wanted to hurt NE they could have waited one season until NE was forced to release him and gotten him for free.

The end of this is that people here assume there was this large market for Cassel that NE missed out on. But that would need to be proven. And as it stands it appears there wasn't, and most other GMs thougt exactly what I just wrote:

You don't trade draft picks for a free agent, even if he is tagged. Especially when the team who tagged him has no intention of keeping him.

Zero leverage. What they got should amaze people.[/Quote]

I agree. They essentially went from receiving a potential third round compensation pick next year to a high second rounder this year by tagging and trading him. Given the market conditions you describe, not a totally bad move. The Pats also got the cap space from essentially letting Vrabel go.

And, to those who think the Pats parlayed a 7th rounder into a 2nd rounder, please. That would only be true if Cassell remained backup last season. They took a QB who showed he had more than just potential and got a high second rounder.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from azredsoxnation. Show azredsoxnation's posts

[Quote] Remember that the Patriots' scouting staff is still the absolute best in the NFL, and they will find a twenties or teens grade player who fell through the cracks. They found Cassel![/Quote]
    You are kidding right? Compare the Patriots drafts to the Colts. I think we have the best coach and have made some great trades (and we have Tom Brady) but outside of Mayo, we have not had great drafts this decade. 2007 was terrible. Other then Meriweather, everyone was cut. 2006 Maroney is not a franchise RB and Chad Jackson? Where is he now? Then David Thomas and Mills?
    Wilfork Seymour and Mayo are only big stars drafted in the last 10 years. The Colts have Sanders, Addai, Dallas Clark, Freeney, Reggie Wayne, E. James and Manning etc. are all number #1 picks.
    I am not a Colts fan but I can compare drafts and scouting.

On the subject of Cassell, I think the Pats did fine. What if we couldn't get rid of Cassell and got stuck with his $14.6 on the bench? The number #34 pick is only 3 from the #1 pick we lost in spygate.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ItsPat. Show ItsPat's posts

This is a win-win situtation for both teams. Matt was a free agent unless they franchised him. So the Pats now have the 2nd pick in the second round. That's freaking great! For a QB the Pats picked in the 7th round and gave the Pats 11 wins last season is a win-win for both teams. The Pats had to franchise him or the best they would have got is maybe a comp pick next year at the end of the 3rd round. Now they have the second pick in round two. That's just about a 60+ difference. I'd say the Pats were winners here. They also free up almost 4 million by trading Vrabel.

I wish they could have kept Vrabel but they have a lot of young LBs and now they can keep one rather then have Vrabel. For the short term that might not be good but in terms of getting younger it was a tough decision that had to be made.

The Pats are loaded going into this years draft and can easily trade their first round pick with one of their second round picks to move up and grab the guy they really want if needed. With three 2nd round picks and two thrid round picks (assuming they get a comp third for Samuel) they Pats are loaded going into this year's draft.

I wish they got a first for Cassel but then again, 95% of all Pats fans were saying cut Cassel after training camp. I say this was a steal for a one year player from the 7th round.

Great job Pats management and Pioli for turning a 7th round back up QB into an early 2nd round pick.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

[Quote]Understanding the dynamics of the trade, doesn't mollify me much. Logic tells me that, if a team will draft, as a 1-10 pick, an untried college QB, who generally takes 4-5 years to mature into a serviceable NFL player (if they make it), they would value a tested, talented, winning QB much more. The get-back for Cassels is a disappointment, considering all of the above reasons. Vrabel is more than a throw in player. He has credentials that warrant more than him just being a rider on the Cassels deal. Bummer![/Quote]

I agree. That's why many of the worst teams stay in the dumps year after year. The draft a top pick who demands a lot of money makes little impact for the first few years then walks away to another team. The qb position is usually a bust because those poor teams need immediate help, they draft a good qb and detroy him by starting him right away rather than develop him like NE does.