1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tph2004. Show tph2004's posts

Any chance we can talk about the Sox?

The Red Sox feel they have a solid team and need a 4th starter or depth at starter, a Bull Pen arm and overall depth. Obviously a catcher.

This is a team set with 4 starters already, now Penny and Smoltz plus Bowden and Bucholtz that seems like a lot of plan b pitchers to me.

The BP was reinforced and looks solid at the least, Pap, Mastersom, Okie, Lopez, MDC, Ramirez and Bard in the summer sometime with Bryce looking sharp as well.

There OF is set, Ellsbury, Drew and Bay (obviously they need a good 4th outfielder)

Infield is set: Lowell, Youk, Al MVP and Lowrie/Lugo

Catcher is a issue but maybe they go with a rookie and Bard. I am sure they will get something else.

There biggest need is a right handed super sub incase Lowell/Drew/Papi dont come back strong.

You may want better players but this team is pretty set and it was at the end of last year.

There are good players not signed and teams will be giving guys away if they cant fill the seats as the season goes on.

Not worried, in my eyes they were no worse then third best team in BB last year and are pretty much in same spot, a top 4 or 5 team at worst.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from baseballdiamond. Show baseballdiamond's posts

Hooray, people are talking about the Sox and baseball! WooHoo!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

[Quote]No Ufcc, Law2005 does not talk about anything because he does not recognize or honor your opinion at all. He comes to the forum with set opinions or talking points and goes on a never ending rant and could care less about whether it is logical or not. Instead of debating you on the points that you have raised, he admits defeat by attacking you like a child and insulting you. Have you been here ? I am surprised that Teakus ( whom I respected until now ) is kissing his azz.[/Quote]

You misunderstand me if you believe I am "kissing his azz". My point is that if he, or another writer here, posts foolishly and you are able to win the debate by the force of your facts-it doesn't matter one bit if they refuse to capitulate and agree that you are right and they wrong. The readers get to decide the worth of each point of view taken, and they should do so ONLY on the intrinsic merits of the position, not on whether they like or dislike the author. See my point? You've still won the debate if you truly trumped his facts with superior ones. Everyone can see it-even if a given poster refuses to.

But consider that it's at least hypothetically possible that Law2005 will post something that you will find interesting and agree with 100%. Even if you disagree with 99% of his postings, nobody can be 100% wrong 100% of the time. Hearing views with which you disagree forces you to consider other angles to situations that you may have missed otherwise. Hearing ONLY those views that match your own provides you with nothing.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BuschBound. Show BuschBound's posts

[Quote]

Again Teakus is on the money, and the Theo Chicks continue whining and going off topic to attack the messenger. Teakus makes a perfectly valid point, and the Theo Chicks leap to attack mode. Typical.[/Quote]

No only attack mode on YOU! You never wander from your only thought and that being Theo & the FO, try some new material you friggin head case!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

The best thing that could happen on this board would be if everyone simply ceased replying to posts or threads by Law, Louie, tedyaz, JazonVaritek, and the rest of the trolls in all their various manifestations. I know I've been guilty of that myself sometimes, but all these morons will eventually get bored and leave if no one gives them any attention.

I'd suggest the same treatment for any of those loser "fans" who want to concede the season in January...they're as bad as the trolls, if not worse.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from AKADahGimpstah3. Show AKADahGimpstah3's posts

"1-2 Big Time Free Agents away from a dynasty for a decade."

Yet EVERY SINGLE MOVE Theo Epstein and company have made has been wrong in your opinion.

So they've built a "near-dynasty" without making a single correct judgment call.

This is why you're pathetic

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from AKADahGimpstah3. Show AKADahGimpstah3's posts

There's "a reason" Lucchino stepped in?

So Theo isn't as much to blame as you've said for nearly 500 posts now?

I mean, you've spent all day on this site, posting over 100 times, with 99% of them concerning how badly Theo Epstein has done.

Now it's Lucchino's fault?

Wow, another contradiction. I'm shocked.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roast1999. Show Roast1999's posts

[Quote]

1. Papelbon is doing nothing of the sort. What Papelbon said in that spring training interview on NESN was that he felt that he was the best closer in the AL and deserved to be paid like it. Theo and the Sox FO pulled a Manny on him and said no to negotiations, so Papelbon took the minimum offer and said he would test the FA waters. Theo did the same thing to Youk, who certainly played his heart out and should have been co-MVP with Pedroia.

2. Theo has signed plenty of retreads and MLB cast-offs whose best years were behind them...take Julio Lugo for example. Isn't it better to pay a player like Youk than to bring in a player who hasn't proven anything for the Red Sox? Using your approach Theo blundered in signing Wakefield again, and possibly when he signed Lowell at his age to a big payday.

Theo is making poor personnel decisions...like he's running through the grocery store 5 mins before it closes and grabbing whatever is on the shelf without looking or thinking.
    [/Quote]

Are you trying to argue that Theo didn't negotiate with Youk? Well then you have a bad argument. Youk's agent came out and said that they were having contract talks with the Red Sox, and that if nothing came of it, Youk was fine with going year by year. That's how it works. Youk isn't unhappy, but I guess he must have told you something different?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BuschBound. Show BuschBound's posts

Biggest play in the 2004 post season.....even bigger than the selfish MVP himself! Any questions?
    www.rlerman.com/1098081230_5120.jpg" alt="" />

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ufcchamp. Show ufcchamp's posts

Well given that Papelbon wants to set the market for closers- what makes you think we can re-sign him prior to going into free agency?

from MichaelDiaz

1. Papelbon is doing nothing of the sort. What Papelbon said in that spring training interview on NESN was that he felt that he was the best closer in the AL and deserved to be paid like it. wal2005x

“It’s a tough situation for me right now,” Papelbon said. “I feel like with me being at the top of my position, I feel like that (salary) standard needs to be set and I’m the one to set that standard
    http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/23472510/

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

You are right on Pap and Youk. Maybe Theo wants the Type-A draft picks when the sign elsewhere, then take the "saved money" and and buy equal value elsewhere in non-Type-A projects, retreads or aging crap shoots.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2005-. Show law2005-'s posts

[Quote]You are right on Pap and Youk. Maybe Theo wants the Type-A draft picks when the sign elsewhere, then take the "saved money" and and buy equal value elsewhere in non-Type-A projects, retreads or aging crap shoots.[/Quote]

Ding ding ding! Thank you for seeing that.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ufcchamp. Show ufcchamp's posts

Well given that Papelbon wants to set the market for closers- what makes you think we can re-sign him prior to going into free agency?

from MichaelDiaz

1. Papelbon is doing nothing of the sort. What Papelbon said in that spring training interview on NESN was that he felt that he was the best closer in the AL and deserved to be paid like it. wal2005x

“It’s a tough situation for me right now,” Papelbon said. “I feel like with me being at the top of my position, I feel like that (salary) standard needs to be set and I’m the one to set that standard
    http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/23472510/

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2005-. Show law2005-'s posts

*Reprinted on CapeCodOnline*

Sox notes: 'Pap' looking for his payday
    type="text/javascript">
    By JON COUTURE
    NEW BEDFORD STANDARD-TIMES
    March 05, 2008 6:00 AM
    FORT MYERS, Fla. — Jonathan Papelbon never met free agency pioneer Curt Flood, but he appears to share his spirit.
    "I feel like the position I'm in, there's a certain standard that needs to be put in place here," said Boston's closer in regard to his current contract negotiations. "And I feel like with me being at the top of my position, I feel like that standard needs to be set and I'm the one to set (it)."
    To term things a dispute would be somewhat misleading, as Papelbon admits the leverage all lies with the Red Sox. Like nearly all players with less than three years of MLB experience, the 27-year-old is ineligible for arbitration or free agency.
    Such players can simply have their contracts renewed for one year at no lower than the league minimum (currently $390,000) and with no more than a 20 percent pay cut.
    It's how the Marlins will pay Hanley Ramirez, who hit .332 with 29 home runs last season, just $439,000 in 2008. And how Milwaukee's Prince Fielder will make only $670,000 after a 50-homer season.
    Papelbon, who made $425,500 last season, is aiming higher — according to Monday's Providence Journal, for the $900,000 the Phillies paid Ryan Howard in his third season.
    "I feel a certain obligation not only to myself and my family to make money that I deserve, but to the game of baseball," Papelbon said yesterday. "Mariano Rivera has been doing it for the past 10 years, and with me coming up behind him, I feel a certain obligation to do the same."

Papelbon DID opt for the 1 year contract, and is going to do what he feels is best for his family and to honor his obligation as the game's premier closer by getting what he believes he's worth. Theo & the Red Sox FO used their 'leverage' to refuse to negotiate a big payday, and Papelbon opted for a 1 year deal and is going to walk unless the Sox pay him EVEN MORE at the end of the 09 season than they would have had to if they'd dealt fairly with Papelbon before the 08 season.

Theo already lowballed Papelbon at the best possible time to lock him up in a long term deal. Papelbon is heading to free agency. So is Youk.

Done.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roast1999. Show Roast1999's posts

1. Papelbon is doing nothing of the sort. What Papelbon said in that spring training interview on NESN was that he felt that he was the best closer in the AL and deserved to be paid like it. Theo and the Sox FO pulled a Manny on him and said no to negotiations, so Papelbon took the minimum offer and said he would test the FA waters. Theo did the same thing to Youk, who certainly played his heart out and should have been co-MVP with Pedroia.

You're right, it doesn't sound like you said that Theo didn't negotiate with Youk... You just said "Theo said no to negotiations... and did the same thing to Youk" That's my fault that I can't read I guess, there's no way that statement could be confused for what I read it for, right?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[Quote]Biggest play in the 2004 post season.....even bigger than the selfish MVP himself! Any questions?
    www.rlerman.com/1098081230_5120.jpg" alt="" />[/Quote] Bah!!..he was out...LOL!!!...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2005-. Show law2005-'s posts

[Quote]1. Papelbon is doing nothing of the sort. What Papelbon said in that spring training interview on NESN was that he felt that he was the best closer in the AL and deserved to be paid like it. Theo and the Sox FO pulled a Manny on him and said no to negotiations, so Papelbon took the minimum offer and said he would test the FA waters. Theo did the same thing to Youk, who certainly played his heart out and should have been co-MVP with Pedroia.

You're right, it doesn't sound like you said that Theo didn't negotiate with Youk... You just said "Theo said no to negotiations... and did the same thing to Youk" That's my fault that I can't read I guess, there's no way that statement could be confused for what I read it for, right?[/Quote]

That's right...you can't read and you are confused. What's the actual difference between no negotiations and a bogus, lowball offer that was never going to be accepted and a refusal to budge by Theo and the Sox FO?

Fact: Theo and the Sox FO pulled the same 'power play' (See Bill Simmons article) they used on Manny when they were dealing with Papelbon last offseason and Youk this offseason. Lowballing, hardline unacceptable offers followed by a flat out refusal to budge from their leveraged position (no to negotiation). Any of this sinking in Theo Chick? Or are you trying to find a way to say Wally the Green Monster is the reason the Red Sox won two world titles, not Manny?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roast1999. Show Roast1999's posts

Wow, shocking. You referenced the Bill Simmons piece again. That's a great source of information.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

[Quote]Teakus, then you support someone whose personna is entirely based on attacking the FO over the years and especially Theo on every single decision that they ever made? He has been proven with logic and facts to be wrong many times and not once has admitted it or even listened, his defense is to ignore, attack, insult, and say that he never said that at all. His arguments have no merit and it is apparent that not even he believes in what he says. IHe comes here for all of the wrong reasons, he does not want an exchange of ideas because he never reads, comprehends, or responds like a gentleman - instead he ignores your argument, has a personal vendetta against the FO, and attacks your argument by calling you names and insulting you personally. Is that entertaining to you Teakus, this is not entertainment, we can always watch Don Rickles reruns on TV if we wish to see an Ahole in action. Please give me any example of Law2005 ever saying anything good about anyone. Perhaps you like trolls that attack and never are happy.[/Quote]

JP67- I'm right with you on this. He's a real trouble maker and you've been spot on through it. Thanks, for that.

The "chick" talk has to stop- sure sign of a troll. People who advocate it are obviously not from around town; not NE sports fans. I go to a lot of away games these days. Yeah, I meet a lot of good people. The "chick" talk will get your head bashed in...'nuff said. Maybe I'll meet this law character at one of them...law-troll bashing time.

Anyway, thanks, for the infos. It's quite obvious that this guy is loggin on several times and attempting to wreak havoc.

Latah,
    BTown

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dabro. Show Dabro's posts

Sox continue to proactively and strategically recruit, develop and retain top talent and our players continue to express a strong desire to be part of the best franchise in baseball.