1. You have chosen to ignore posts from crippler228. Show crippler228's posts

Anybody else a little sad?

Hey, I know the guy really left them no choice. And I am relieved after hearing this news because I just don't want to hear about it anymore. While I'm really glad that it's behind us now and the team can just play on, I still feel really sad. Another Red Sox great leaves town with a bad taste in his mouth. I'm sad that Manny forced their hand in this because if he had decided to be Dr. Jeckyl instead of Mr. Hyde, none of this would've had to happen. He showed that he was a jerk, but I've still got alot of good memories. It's tough to remember those right now, and yet try and move on at the same time. It's too bad this had to happen. He definitely was a pain, but I'm still gonna miss the big guy. Fare thee well, Manny. I'll always have those good memories.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsox4jack. Show redsox4jack's posts

I have been a Sox fan for 50 years... i have seen them come and go.......now to your question.... NO

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from elccpa24. Show elccpa24's posts

A little sad? I've had a big long cry. I am stunned. Why didn't the FO just sit down and talk to Manny when he asked them to? I can not believe this. Maybe if the Red Sox tank John Henry will fire Theo and beg Manny to come back. I don't care what anyone says, he was the heart and soul of this team. You'll all see.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carolina-soxfan. Show carolina-soxfan's posts

I don't know that he gave the Boston Red Sox any choice at all. Chalk another one up to Scott Borass. He was definitely behind this situation since last year. Do you remember when Manny suddenly began talking to the media and dedicated himself to getting into great shape over the offseason? That smells like Borass to me. Manny is one of the greatest hitters of his generation. He was also a pain in the borass at times. I don't like what we had to give up to get rid of him and I don't particularly excited about Bay either. What can you do?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from calarese. Show calarese's posts

Manny is easily one of the top 10 right handed hitters of all time. Sox fans whined for not winning a World Series for 86 years and Manny was the 2004 World Series MVP. Manny is also a Yankee killer. He has the most homeruns by an opposing player against the Yankees.. and don't forget during the "Boston Massacre" sweep not long ago Manny reached base in 21 of 22 at bats...

Anyone who says good riddance doesn't understand baseball. If he is a clubhouse cancer how have we won 2 world series the last few years? This is not little league where "not whether you win or lose it's about how you play the game" or "as long as you're having fun". No. It's about winning the World Series. That's what Manny brings.

Hope the Boston media can be happy we got another boring "Boston-friendly" guy. As exciting as watered down milk.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from cjlang. Show cjlang's posts

I am sad that he chose to force his way out of town in this fashion. Now he was always have some of the same stnch associated with him that marked the end of Nomar's time. Remember Nomar sitting on the bench pouting while the Sox were making a dramatic comebakc and all his teammates were standing? Now I'll always have Manny jogging to first during a potential no-hitter in my mind. That along with sitting out against the Yankees....

I find it humorous that everyone is jumping off the wagon. We may have just made a move that will be remembered the way we remember the 04 trade of Nomar. I remember everyone crying and whining about that one too.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcjcjcjc. Show jcjcjcjc's posts

should have signed him through the next two years... no manny, no moss, no hansen! manny in pinstripes in 2009... sox dropped the ball!!!

jc

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rfcytb. Show rfcytb's posts

[Quote]I have been a Sox fan for 50 years... i have seen them come and go.......now to your question.... NO[/Quote]

Jack, I too have seen great players leave before and somehow we all survived. Manny shot his way out because of his greed and as always these prima donnas get what they want but as far as being sad, hell no! Do you really think Manny cares about any ofus fans? Do you think he cares about any of his teamates?? Do you think he really cares about winning? What he cares about is his next contract and he will go anywhere for the highest dollar. There is no loyalty from him, no community involvement and I certainly will not give him any just do because he chose to do this. As far as I'm concernec he's the enemy now and I will root for him to fail just like I do Pedro, Damon and anyone else that has a problem with Boston. THis is our team and we are the ones who live and die with them each game and if you don't want to be a part of it sa la vie. Don't discount Bay, he's a baseball player like Pedroia and Youk. Hard nosed with some power and good teamate. For all these Manny hero worshippers the world has not ended and if your a real fan you will root for them to win just like in 04 when we got rid of that other malcontent and won the title.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dcater. Show dcater's posts

It was a move that more or less seals the Sox fate in 2008. The team will likely go on to miss the playoffs, and by this time next year, the Sox will have dumped Varitek, probably stupidly stiff Wakefield, forcing him to pitch elsewhere, and then we'll hear a story about how Youkilis will admit that he has an anger management issue that will force him to take a leave of absence. Dice-K will be the next Sox to have a problem with management, then be traded at the deadline, and all the fans will be kicking Dice-K on his way out the door because a Japanese radio reporter will give daily reports from Dice-K that Boston is too hard a place to play in. Meanwhile, Big Papi will tear another tendon in the other wrist.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from calarese. Show calarese's posts

Bay is a baseball player who hits .190 against lefties and has never played under pressure.

We just traded one of the greatest right handed hitters of all time for him.

Umpire: "Ball 4, Ortiz. Take your base."

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rnbelg. Show rnbelg's posts

Manny really gave the Sox no choice plus i think his teammates were getting tired of the mysterious injuries. I don't like the trade because I think the sox gave away too much. Manny Moss and Hansen for Bay. That's too lopsided and looks like a team acting out of anger. Where is the relief help?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from strek1. Show strek1's posts

Yeah Manny could always hit against the Yankees, but when he starts taking himself out of the Lineup he can't hit period. Good ridance to this selfish child.
    Obviously the Players had enough too. Under those circumstances this deal was a must. It is sad, as Ramirez is a huge talent and when he wanted to he could be spectacular. But the antics just went too far this year. I think he will find out that the grass is not greener.......

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firefligh. Show Firefligh's posts

I'm a little sad because the team did not get anything close to full value for 24 - but happy because Manny was obviously miserable here lately and it was heartbreaking for me to see my favorite player so stressed out. I also didn't like how stressful this situation was for Tito.

But can't say I'm sad 24 got his way - that was a pretty masterful exit strategy, perfectly timed and acted - maybe he's got a second career coming up in Lalaland - and even if Boras orchestrated it all, it was 'dumb' Manny who pulled it off.

Also a 'little' sad because I preferred my boy go to the Marlins. It's gonna be a b1tch staying up to catch Manuelito on all those west coast games that don't start til 11 EST.

But I won't miss any - and I hope he knocks them dead in this two month rent-a-player stint, TEARS UP THE NL - and helps his new team get to the World Series ...

...and then the dear boy gets totally shut down by Beckett, Dicek and Company in October....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from xman66. Show xman66's posts

Not sad at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They come and go. Lots of people were pissed about nomar and pedro leaving not me. There is always someone else.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SummerRain. Show SummerRain's posts

I'll be sad next year when the Yankees spend an outrageous amount of money to get him.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kram93291. Show kram93291's posts

Manny to the Dodgers is addition by subtraction.Jason Bay doesn't have to be as good as Manny.The mere fact that he plays the game the right way is a breath of fresh air.Let's not get all caught up in...."He can't replace Manny's production.."The Sox weren't going to win it all without bullpen help,no matter who plays left field.But at least they rid themselves of the club house cancer.I say good riddance.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from chillout66. Show chillout66's posts

It is sad. It's sad that Manny wanted to be traded off the defending World Champions. Please nobody cry and whine about the deal. Manny got exactly whay he wanted from the Red Sox and that was to be traded now. I'm sure he's very grateful to Theo.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from valeriesass. Show valeriesass's posts

I am thrilled to see that no good POS Manny leave town-They paid to get rid of him & were wise to do so. Manny has a criminal -welfarfe type of mentality.

29 y.o Bay will produce a smuch or more than manny here (even if manny gets his stats in la he would not here)

Manny is basically a mentally ill criminal type who without a gift for hititng baseball would be in jail.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeyRedSox. Show MikeyRedSox's posts

of course I'm sad...that should go without saying to anyone around here who remembers my posts about Manny. I do think he pretty much left them no choice. I'll always feel that the front office didn't handle this well, but at the same time there's no denying Manny wanted out, and shot his way out of town. It doesn't change my feelings on him, he's my favorite player ever. I just hope he never ends up a Yankee.

they gave up way too much, but let the Jason Bay era begin, I guess. They did NOTHING about bullpen help (well, they got rid of Hansen, but didn't bring anything in), and I don't think this team is much better off than they were yesterday, but oh well...now nobody can blame crappy play like we saw last night on "being distracted by Manny"

ADIOS MANUEL! Thank you for 2 World Series, a ton of home runs and RBIs, and more fond memories than I have of any other ballplayer

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mtrem225. Show mtrem225's posts

Goodbye and good riddance. Thanks for all the help in the two world series years, but enough is enough.

Besides, trading him was smart because we got something in return.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BoSoxFanNY. Show BoSoxFanNY's posts

I am sad, frustrated and angry!
    SAD to lose Manny's bat - sad that the Manny - Big Papi
    feared 3 - 4 hitters are no more.
    FRUSTRATED because I believe our team is weaker, not stronger
    by the trade
    ANGRY - that Manny would do this to his teammates and Big Papi.
    It seems he forced this trade - maybe Theo could have gone for a
    reliever had he not have to deal with the Manny chaos.
    A sad day for Red Sox fans!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from calarese. Show calarese's posts

He is still a great hitter.. look at his OPS.. there is only ~14 players IN THE ENTIRE LEAGUE with a higher OPS than Manny.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from cruisewinds. Show cruisewinds's posts

As an avid Yankee fan I can empathize with The Nation and how to come to grips with the departure of Manny. I personally am thankful that he will not be making any more appearances this year in a Red Sox uniform, and seriously doubt that the Dodgers will be involved in any post season activity. Having said that, the Sox will not be the same team without him nor get the kind of production from their line up going forward. Big Pappy will see fewer hittable pitches since a walk to someone with his glacial speed on the pads is not a bad thing - and no Manny to follow behind him in the line up. Dwell on this - if Jason Bay were such a talented outfielder why did the Yankees take a pass on him and instead target and acquire Xavier Nady? Let's see - the Yanks get Nady, Marte, and Pudge while the Sox trade away Manny for Bay. I suspect that this trade will have a huge impact on the American League East race, but not the one that Sox fans had hoped for. In fact, September will be arriving early this year in New England.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from roberto678. Show roberto678's posts

MANNY HAS BEEN CODDLED EVER SINCE HE WAS A TEENAGER, HE HAS NO IDEA HOW TO GET UP AT 6 AM AND WORK A FULL DAYS WORK. WHAT EXACTLY DID THE SOX DO TO PI$$ HIM OFF? I STILL DON'T KNOW. THANKS FOR THE 2 WORLD SERIES BUT GET LOST, YOUR BEST YEARS ARE BEHIND YOU, WELCOME JASON BAY, EXCELLENT DEAL FOR SOX. MY ONLY HOPE WAS THAT BILLY MARTIN WAS SOX SKIPPER HE WOULD HAVE KICKED THE CRAP OF OUT MANNY YEARS AGO AND TODAYS SITUATION WOULD NOT EXIST.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jayrod. Show jayrod's posts

sox were going nowhere with manny this year and he is clearly in his declininingyears. it is time to move on. baseball will go on. I was more sad to see pedro go than manny

Sections
Shortcuts