1. You have chosen to ignore posts from gibsonsg. Show gibsonsg's posts

Anybody else a little sad?

Yeah, I'm sad to see him go. The same way I would be sad to have to put a beloved aging relative into a home because their senile dementia had finally gotten so bad that they needed the kind of constant professional care and coddling that the family simply couldnt provide.

This is, without a doubt, the end of an era. And the Sox are going to go through more painful good-byes in the next few months and years (Varitek, Shilling, Wakefield, Timlin, etc). Change is inevitable, but always bittersweet. I will always be grateful for many of the things Manny did in a Sox uniform- ending 86 years of misery, providing endless amusing antics both on and off the field, etc. One thing you can say for sure about Manny: he was never boring. By comparison, Jason Bay sure will be.

In the end, he wanted out, for whatever reasons, and there was simply no choice in the matter. He wanted to go, and so he had to go. But I have to say that the way he went about it does take some of the shine off of his accomplishments at the plate in Fenway for the last 7 years. Maybe not as bad as Nomar, but there will always be a slight bitter aftertaste. His rampant greed, laziness, massive ego, and unwillingness to take any responsibility but simply blame everyone else will now forever be a bigger part of his Boston legacy. He is a tragic hero in many ways.

On the other hand, we have all been damn lucky to witness 2 WS wins in 4 years, something many of our parents and grandparents never got to see even once, and something that Manny gets as much credit for as anyone else. In a twisted kind of way, if we were smart we would all count our blessings, sell our TV's and never watch another baseball game for the rest of our lives. We'd sure get a lot more work done. I've done almost nothing but post messages online for the last 24 hours!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from gibsonsg. Show gibsonsg's posts

Yeah, I'm sad to see him go. The same way I would be sad to have to put a beloved aging relative into a home because their senile dementia had finally gotten so bad that they needed the kind of constant professional care and coddling that the family simply couldnt provide.

This is, without a doubt, the end of an era. And the Sox are going to go through more painful good-byes in the next few months and years (Varitek, Shilling, Wakefield, Timlin, etc). Change is inevitable, but always bittersweet. I will always be grateful for many of the things Manny did in a Sox uniform- ending 86 years of misery, providing endless amusing antics both on and off the field, etc. One thing you can say for sure about Manny: he was never boring. Jason Bay sure will be, by comparison.

In the end, he wanted out, for whatever reasons, and there was simply no choice in the matter. He wanted to go, and so he had to go. But I have to say that the way he went about it does take some of the shine off of his accomplishments at the plate in Fenway for the last 7 years. Maybe not as bad as Nomar, but there will always be a slight bitter aftertaste. His rampant greed, laziness, massive ego, and unwillingness to take any responsibility but simply blame everyone else will now forever be a bigger part of his Boston legacy. He is a tragic hero in many ways.

On the other hand, we have all been damn lucky to witness 2 WS wins in 4 years, something many of our parents and grandparents never got to see even once, and something that Manny gets as much credit for as anyone else. In a twisted kind of way, if we were smart we would all count our blessings, sell our TV's and never watch another baseball game for the rest of our lives. We'd sure get a lot more work done. I've done almost nothing but post messages online for the last 24 hours!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewgo. Show ewgo's posts

"Jason Bay will not be a replacement. He has similar numbers, but can he do it in the clutch. Lets see how he reacts in the ninth inning against the Sandman or KRod. "

------------------
    Well we know how Manny reacted in that situation against the Yakees a few weeks back. He stood there for 3 strikes. Is that the fault of management?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from blake1963. Show blake1963's posts

The heart and soul of the team????? I guess Manny is not alone in his dream world. There comes a point when even 100 home runs a year can't make up for complete moral bankruptcy !!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wyzguy333. Show wyzguy333's posts

He may have pulled some antics the last couple of weeks.....but I love that he didn't go to the White House when they won the World Series in 2004 and again this year.

When the Dodgers win the World Series he'll go to the White House because.......GEORGE BUSH WILL NOT BE IN THERE!

Thanks for bringing us 2 World Series Manny.

Best of luck in LA!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from crippler228. Show crippler228's posts

[Quote]He may have pulled some antics the last couple of weeks.....but I love that he didn't go to the White House when they won the World Series in 2004 and again this year.

When the Dodgers win the World Series he'll go to the White House because.......GEORGE BUSH WILL NOT BE IN THERE!

Thanks for bringing us 2 World Series Manny.

Best of luck in LA![/Quote]
    Ah yes, nothing like Politics or Religion to kill any discussion. Well done. Can we get back to baseball?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from crippler228. Show crippler228's posts

OK. I'll do it myself.

I don't think Curt Schilling needs to "shut his mouth" because he's not playing this year. All of us are talking a big game here. When did we ever put a uniform on? I'm more inclined to listen to somebody who has been in a clubhouse (especially a clubhouse with Manny) than I am to one of us overly passionate fans. Maybe we should listen to the guy.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toppazini. Show toppazini's posts

[Quote]just a word from the outside, the world outside the insular little world of Red Sox fans. I live in Chicago and read one of the best baseball writers in America, Phil Rogers in the Chicago Tribune. This morning Rogers featured the Manny deal to LA as the worst trade deadline deal done by any team. This ultra-knowledgeable baseball man had one thought: what was the Red Sox management thinking? Sure Manny was a pain in the butt, but how can you get rid of your best or second best hitter in the middle of a pennant race?
    Outside Red Sox world, that is what people, even baseball, think. It does not mean we are right, but you Sox fans shd realize that almost no one else outside Red Sox world agrees with your reasoning.[/Quote]

I'm just curious what this ultra-knowledgeable baseball man had to say when the Cubs took Nomar in 2004. What were the Cubs thinking? How did Rogers rate that trade?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from morsal77. Show morsal77's posts

sox got killed on that trade, hands down. seems like there was minimal communication between the two sides, and what communication there was perhaps was orchestrated by boras. very disappointing. manny clearly cares about getting paid, as does every player, but it was nice to see someone play who enjoyed the game and appreciated the fans as much as manny does. he gave us a ton of wonderful moments, so let's not let the last few weeks cloud our judgement of this man. i'm sure i'll be hard pressed at the end of my life to find a more enduring mental image than manny standing with his hands raised at home plate after hitting a titanic home run off k-rod in game 2 of the 2007 ALDS.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from morsal77. Show morsal77's posts

Im morsal77's wife and he is seriously depressed!!! You know your a baseball widow when after the bars close you and your husband go home and he watches every you tube video of manny he can find!! I love the sox but for chrissakes!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreamer007. Show dreamer007's posts

[Quote]Im morsal77's wife and he is seriously depressed!!! You know your a baseball widow when after the bars close you and your husband go home and he watches every you tube video of manny he can find!! I love the sox but for chrissakes!![/Quote]

well mrs. morsal77, all i can recommend is that you dont try to understand
    this manny and the red sox thing...
    most of us fans are going thru some kind of emotional rollar coaster ride
    right now... we loved manny even though he was a bad boy at times...
    we all feel like a family and that a beloved member of the family has
    been transferred to the moon --or might as well have been--
    be kind to the old man and let him grieve... he will thank you for it
    when the funk mood is gone...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from morsal77. Show morsal77's posts

you know what i just remembered...he'll be a free agent at the end of the year...we can still sign him for 2009 and beyond!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from morsal77. Show morsal77's posts

this is like when duquette signed offerman to replace mo vaughn, except WAY worse

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ramirezlugo. Show ramirezlugo's posts

Definitely not. Money is everything for Manny. His only concerns were his ego and his wallet. He wanted a four year extension ($100,000.00) and he did what ever he had to do to get it, including betraying is manager, teammates and ex-fans. He demonstrated what he is made of – money. I only hope he does not get his contract. Other teams should be very concern about his antics. If he gets a 4 year contract, he will probably stop playing during the second or third year if the club doesn’t agree to his new demands, what ever they are at that time. Who would want a player like that? Maybe he will remain in LA LA Land and becomes a mascot for the LA Lakers.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxkid. Show soxkid's posts

If Manny pulled this chicken***t under contract in any other profession he would have been sued for malpractice or breach of contract. HELLO! He broke his word, violating a contract he negotiated where he was obligated to give his best each and everyday--how's that for disrespect?! Furthermore if he assaulted 64 year old colleage or teammate in the business world, he would be in jail. He sabotaged the efforts of this team, he abandoned his teammates and shafted folks who pay a premium to watch guys like him play. As a person he lacks qualiites where we wouldn't want to have a chat with him, let alone pay him. As a athelete, he can hit a ball--but God help us when he tries to field one. Sorry, the fact he did his job at times in the past does not give him a free ride to lie, steal and disrupt. Funny how we never see where management backs out of a contract after a guy has a bad year. Amazing when we see playeres who demand revisions of thier contract when they perform. Those of you who bash the front office have pretty short memories--current ownership has been a godsend. They say you shouldn't get to know your heros-I have gotten to know Manny-and it will overshadow anything he has done for this club in the past.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toppazini. Show toppazini's posts

[Quote]
    I can't recall. The Nomar was entirely different, if you will recall. He was injured, said he wd not be fully available for the rest of the season and the Sox desperately needed a good fielding shortstop. That deal was done for legitimate on the field baseball reasons. This deal, whatever you think of it, was not done to make the team stronger on the field. That is the difference, and only a fool wd deny that.[/Quote]

I have to admit you do have a point as to the deal with Nomar was done to make the Sox stronger on the field. They got the leather-man they needed to anchor down the infield in Cabrera. This deal was done to make them stronger in the locker room and to end a distracting side-show carnival production during a pennant race. Hopefully this will serve to make them stronger on the field in the long run. Sure would be cool to see it culminate in a close, hard fought seven game grind it out World Series played in Fenway and Wrigley. You fans of the Cubbies have earned a break with your loyalty, just like Sox fans. It would be difficult for me to begrudge you what you deserve, I only hope it's not at the Sox expense. Best of luck, Toppa

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlleyCatBruin. Show AlleyCatBruin's posts

Manny's departure is a heartbreaker. But he forced the issue. Manny did not understand how good he had it in Boston. And he clearly didn't care about the affect his actions had on his teammates and fans. Manny only cared about Manny.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlleyCatBruin. Show AlleyCatBruin's posts

Manny's departure is a heartbreaker. But he forced the issue. Manny did not understand how good he had it in Boston. And he clearly didn't care about the affect his actions had on his teammates and fans. Manny only cared about Manny.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from realtor. Show realtor's posts

Manny had to go. Unfortunately he never understood the TEAM concept. He played when he wanted to play. Fans are forgetting 2006. I was a Manny fan. He helped us in 2004 and 2007. Coming in at start of 2008 I was VERY optimistic that Manny had finally found peace and was going to have an incredible year. We as fans have to realize that baseball IS a business. Front office would have been crazy to take option years upfront. I couldn't see locking this guy up for 4 years. His recent clubhouse antics went WAY beyond Manny being Manny. The first game against Yankees was clincher. TEAM was not in his vocabulary

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from myheartbelongstoyouk. Show myheartbelongstoyouk's posts

Manny wanted out so the Sox had no choice that much I understand. What I can not understand is why he so desperately wanted out. I don't believe there is more of a player's manager in baseball than Francona. Where else could he wear his dreadlocks, disappear into walls and on an on. I know he will do great in LA (at least until the end of the season) because he desperately wants a long-term contract. I think the "peace of mind" he speaks of is a huge long-term deal. Once a team signs him, then the shenanigans will begin.

For years I was one of the "apologists" and it took me a long time to actually criticize instead of defend him. He is a great hitter but not a great team mate. I feel he let down hsi teammates, the team, and probably most imporatantly his most ardent supporters with his actions this year.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firefligh. Show Firefligh's posts

Wow, what a day - what a clinic!

Single - double - dinger to "Mannyville' which is what they're calling Dodger stadium left field stands. Yup, # 512, now tied with banks and matthews after breaking Ott's mark last night.

Manny on a contract mission.

Looks ten years younger - taking them deep, to left to right, center, waiting out the pitches in one at bat, and knocking the cover off on the first pitch in others. Full count or just up - like child's play.

I thought he'd do well in this new gig, but also thought he'd take some time to get a sense of Dodger Stadium, a well known 'pitcher's park' where '99' has never played before this weekend.

But he's hitting like he did in his prime, and with such an EASE - rejuvenated, happy, dominating.

WOW.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tarpouch. Show tarpouch's posts

Amen, couldn't have said it better. the majestic homers are burned into my memory. But you burn those memories by manny being manny. Thanks for the good times.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from undones. Show undones's posts

Absolutely hate it. To me, because of him, the team used to have a little something "special", different than all of the other teams out there. And that's gone now. I cannot believe he's gone, and I very much hate the fact that Boston let him go. Wherever he played these last few months, he was going to give it his all, just as he is right now in LA. They are calling him "God" on their message boards this weekend, and to them...because they are not used to such a phenom, he pretty much is. Fans are demanding already that the Dodgers resign him next year, and he's only been there one weekend. He certainly seems happy out there, though. I have the MLB channels so I am able to watch the Sox and the Dodgers both. He smiling, laughing, getting asked for curtain calls.. they're bonkers about him. I watched Jason Bay, too this weekend. He's good, sure...but face it, he's no Manny. That certain electric presense is gone. The "special" has gone to Hollywood. And I'm watching every day.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from undones. Show undones's posts

Absolutely hate it. To me, because of him, the team used to have a little something "special", different than all of the other teams out there. And that's gone now. I cannot believe he's gone, and I very much hate the fact that Boston let him go. Wherever he played these last few months, he was going to give it his all, just as he is right now in LA. They are calling him "God" on their message boards this weekend, and to them...because they are not used to such a phenom, he pretty much is. Fans are demanding already that the Dodgers resign him next year, and he's only been there one weekend. He certainly seems happy out there, though. I have the MLB channels so I am able to watch the Sox and the Dodgers both. He smiling, laughing, getting asked for curtain calls.. they're bonkers about him. I watched Jason Bay, too this weekend. He's good, sure...but face it, he's no Manny. That certain electric presense is gone. The "special" has gone to Hollywood. And I'm watching every day.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pierrepages. Show pierrepages's posts

I am also still in shock...

A couple points :

1. the Manny-being-Manny thing was mostly a media creation . trying to make a story where there was none. Manny is perhaps the easiest target out there because of the money he makes and becuase he is a non-verbal immigrant from a poor background.

Sox management fell for this manipulation which at times took on the character of "Manny, since when did you stop beating your wife?" type.

Now it appears so has the general public in Boston.

2. The retired state-trooper incident. Whatever happened , an altercatiion should have been avoided. But the other gentleman involved has seen a lot of rough stuff in the past-I'm sure & knows how to handle himself and avoid such problems...It takes 2 sides to tango & I 'm not sure we heard it all because the press want us to believe that Manny is the instigator and now an incarnation of Darth Vader.

Fact that the retired State Trooper has NOT declared suit against Manny speaks volumes; though no-one comes out looking good from the affair , I grant.

Generally Manny is seen as an amiable fellow. Making him out to be a wife-beater and dog-kicker and slacker is simply ludicrous.

Again the media did a good job here and got their rocks off pulling a superstar down.....

Focus should have been on management's refusal to fix Manny's future....

3. the youkilis episode. Initially Manny's frsutration at Youkilis's habit of throwing his gear around like a child was supported by some of his other mates I believe.

4. Yes Manny Ramirez makes alot of money. He is a 1st ballot Hof-er& contrary to recent reports is nice if somewhat zany guy...He fills seats and is worth it.

His every movement is scrutinized becuase of the cash he makes. granted some of his defensive moves were mind-boggling and his occasional trots to 1st base frustrating ... but how many times die we see many play a neat ball off the green monster and quick-release throw it to 2nd ? Many times manny was guitly of over-exuberant base-running trying to stretch a single into a double or move from 2dn to home on a slight single.

Again the media did a great job, looking at the branches and not seeing the forest.

Failure of management to see this is astonishing.

5. Scott Boras. When a player of Manny's caliber hires SB , it is a wake-up call to come to terms... not a reason to let things simmer.

Finally, I am baffled at the headlines that i read this a.m. "Will Manny Wear a Sox Cap in Cooperstown"? Such hypocrisy-such amnesia.....Why didn't the management and media think of that before they shoved him out the door-so ungracefully?

Most of the writers on this discussion panel should be ashamed of themselves...they intentionally forget the reality of the last 7(100) years and are seemingly oblivious to fact that their source of information (the Boston Press & especially the Boston Globe)is highly suspect.

Hmmm.... who can we take down next ? Josh Beckett -anyone?

Why should Manny wear a Sox cap when the appreciation level in this town is zilch?Boston did not want to stick with Manny -so why -pray tell- should he stick with Boston ?

Unreal.

Rgds

Sections
Shortcuts