1. You have chosen to ignore posts from gickchum. Show gickchum's posts

Anybody else a little sad?

Red sox players who suck:

Varitek, Lugo, Crisp, and most of the bullpen

....and they get rid of the guy who's already hit 20 homers this year?

how does that make sense?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jibarosoy. Show jibarosoy's posts

Manny had some negatives, but his positives and contributions to the Sox far outweighted this negatives. And in a way we all contributed to these by celebrating "Manny being Manny" moments. The problem that I have with the Sox managment is that the made a terrible trade. They could have done a lot better. I think Theo has missed the boat on this one.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from saycheese21. Show saycheese21's posts

This was not about getting value. The Red Sox did what they had to do.
    Manny has had his issue in the past but nothing like the last couple of weeks. Pushing the traveling sec., Pissing off the owner who has paid him a $168 million total, but the worst of it all is when you tell the team your hurt and you sit a 2 games because your being a big cry baby, knowing that the Yankees are coming to town and how much important these games are. All he did was let down his everyone from the owner, teammates, the city of boston and the fans. I thank Manny for all the good he did for the Red Sox and I wish him well, but NO player is bigger then the team and the great fans that support them. Yes they might of gave up to much, but the value of this trade will come in the off season. Jason Bay is a all star and will help and is signed for $7.5 million next year. So whatever Theo can get with the other $12.5 million they save by not having to pay Manny thats when this trade will be completed.

Also jeffreyho is correct Schilling do us a favor shut up. Your act is getting just as old a Manny.

Welcome to Boston Jason Bay we got your back.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from leftin76. Show leftin76's posts

And Manny has just become DH for the Yankees in '09. After 2 months running around NL left fields, it will be clear to all bidders that he can only be a DH for the final few years of his career. And who in the AL is going to fork oiver more money than the Bombers? That's what Manny and Boras wanted all along - to get the most money out of a new deal starting in '09, with the team that has the most money to spend. And a place that we know Manny ALWAYS wantd to play. Are we ready to see the numbers he puts up for the Yankees next season, regardless of what he does while Joe baby-sits him for 2 months?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mhouston. Show mhouston's posts

I am very, very disappointed in the way Manny conducted himself throughout this entire ordeal. He did not need to use the media in order to convey his displeasure with the Red Sox organization. It was childish and petty. Rather hard to think of the good times right now - maybe time will heal SOME wounds.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dredsox57. Show dredsox57's posts

good riddance to bad rubbage, finally rid of this 36 year old baby. He may have a talent for hitting a baseball, but he's never had any loyality to anyone but Manny and never will. He's 36, the years will take their toll and I'm glad the Red Sox helped the team by ridding themselves of such a disturbing influence in the clubhouse. Now there are a few others that should be gone in the coming off season. Including some of the coaching staff, Farrell and Magadan at the top of the list.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seadog18. Show seadog18's posts

[Quote]

They don't make big money to make nice quotes for the media, they're paid to win games. If Manny is introverted and shy with the media, leave him alone and let him play.[/Quote]

SHY??? Ha!! He's just a lazy slob. He should be ashamed of the way he looks -- that hair and a three-sizes-too-big uniform dragging the ground. Ted Williams is probably rolling over in his grave. It will be interesting to see if the Dodgers put up with him looking like that.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuckpro. Show chuckpro's posts

They could have made a better trade????????????? Please. Just what might you have in mind. So many people seem to think that this was just another incident of Manny being Manny. SORRY! This went so far past anything that had happened before that the players, almost unanimously wanted the cancer out of the clubhouse. I strongly believe that the Red Sox front office believe that by cutting out the disease the club was adding by subtracting. The on field performance recently indicates something was very, very wrong and all fingers point at Manny. The trade inself was better than I thought possible. A very good player for a pariah, a pitcher who can't pitch and an outfielder who will never be top player. Sounds like Theo took some lemons and made lemonade.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Recifense. Show Recifense's posts

Dropping bombs on Afghanistan and Iraq makes me sad. Seeing CEOs making hundreds of millions while workers lose their jobs makes me sad. No health care for millions of children makes me sad. Seeing Yankees fans happy over Manny going to LA makes me sad. Manny going to LA doesn't.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CCJRMOM. Show CCJRMOM's posts

Ok I have read, listened to and watched all kinds of comment. I am sad to see Manny leave under these circumstances. He is the best right handed bat in the league. I have heard people bash him for not being charitable or selfish. Get a grip. Do any of you know how often these athletes visit the hospitals? Someone from one of the NE teams is usually there everyday in one hospital or another and they don't do it for media coverage. Manny did much more than any of you know and he is much more intelligent than you know too. No one hits like that because of luck. I am sorry to see Manny go and I was hoping the team could have persuaded him to get it together for the long haul, but it is what it is. I think we gave up much too much but we will see. I know Joe Torre is a very happy manager right now.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctsoxguy. Show ctsoxguy's posts

I absolutely LOVED the Manny that WANTED to be here and actually CARED about the game, his teammates, the city that loved him, as well as the sox fans who took him into their hearts. When $$he$$ became too big to $$care$$ about all those intangibles that made him valuable to the team, and make no mistake, he WAS valuable, he was no longer the Manny we knew and loved. He was the overgrown kid who took his glove and went home choosing to sulk when he no longer got his way. Feels akin to one of my kidshaving gone astray. You hope for the best but doubt they'll come to any good. Maybe he can grown up in Los Angeles, rather than simply growing old. At least we'll still have the memories. However another championship will go a long way towards erasing the ghost. Jason Bay LOVES to hit Yankee pitching. Long live the Red Sox!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nahaca. Show nahaca's posts

He didn't want to be there so he was going to sulk, fake more injuries and continue to be a horrible teammate. I miss the Manny of old. He was fun to watch. Lately, he's just been nasty. Maybe he can go beat up on Tommy Lasorda.That's about the level he has sunk to. Good riddance!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

No.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from franciscan. Show franciscan's posts

Are you crazy?!? I'm thrilled the Manny is gone. The only thing I'm sorry is that they couldn't have done it earlier before his actions brought such discredit to the game. How soon so many people seem to forget him standing at the plate in Yankee Stadium with the bat on his shoulder letting the ball sail by and possibly ending the Red Sox dream of a repeat. Is this the example that you want young players being subjected to? Is he really a good role model for youngsters? Should the team of Ted williams, Yaz, Rice, Evans, all characters in their own right continue to be forced to wallow in the mud with someone who has only rarely shown any respect for the game which pays him millions? The only thing that surprizes me is that the Red Sox didn't have to give away more to get rid of him. If a trade hadn't worked out I would have ben in favor of giving him his outright release.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ddhaamkid. Show ddhaamkid's posts

All we got in this deal is Jason Bay??? We gave up Manny, Craig Hansen and Brandon Moss for one player!!!! You have to be kidding, Many alone is worth Bay and a couple of prospects not the other way around.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from franciscan. Show franciscan's posts

Are you crazy?!? I'm thrilled the Manny is gone. The only thing I'm sorry is that they couldn't have done it earlier before his actions brought such discredit to the game. How soon so many people seem to forget him standing at the plate in Yankee Stadium with the bat on his shoulder letting the ball sail by and possibly ending the Red Sox dream of a repeat. Is this the example that you want young players being subjected to? Is he really a good role model for youngsters? Should the team of Ted williams, Yaz, Rice, Evans, all characters in their own right continue to be forced to wallow in the mud with someone who has only rarely shown any respect for the game which pays him millions? The only thing that surprizes me is that the Red Sox didn't have to give away more to get rid of him. If a trade hadn't worked out I would have ben in favor of giving him his outright release.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from billgcg. Show billgcg's posts

It is about time a sports organization put a superstar in their place. Of course his numbers are some of the best in the game and will be missed. However it is about time we showed all especially our young kids that if you do not act responsibly you will be gone. No matter how good you play the game.

The Red Sox organization deserves much credit for doing the right thing here. I hope this will serve as a good message to others who think their talent buys them a free lunch. Way to go TEAM!!!!

Bill G.
    Mansfield, MA

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from morecowbell. Show morecowbell's posts

I won't miss his BS. And sorry but he's not a 20 million dollar player anymore. I think he earned his contract $ most of the time, but his numbers have started a slow but steady decline over the last two years. And his whole attitude seemed to change when he switched to Boras. Sure he used to pull some stunts, but I don't ever remember him bitching publicly about his contract until Boras came along. Between the declining numbers and the increasing distractions it was time for him to go. My real problem is that they gave up Moss in the deal as well. Basically traded Manny, Moss and Hansen for Bay. Seems like way too much to me, but I guess that tells us just how bad the situation was behind the scenes that the Sox brass were willing to give up that much just to get rid of the guy. (And make no mistake, this one's not all on Theo, Henry had to be okay with it too or it would not have happened.)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from gickchum. Show gickchum's posts

Maybe Theo will also trade Ortiz, Ellsbury and Okajima to get Gagne back?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcr4runner. Show jcr4runner's posts

Let's see.

Gave up a future Hall of Famer for a lifetime .280 hitter.

I kept looking for Jason Bay and ... who else?

Two good relief pitchers? Help at shortstop.

Nope ... just Jason Bay Jason Bay ....

Jason Bay? I've never even heard of him. I guarantee no one in LA is saying "Manny who?""

This was a reaction to a perceived insult that Theo never should take personally.
    Last spring he said he wanted to retire with the Sox. He expected an offer. Why not make one and say, "we are exercizing your option next year. Here's a deal for another three years. Take it now or talk to us in November.

This was really stupid. Worse than the trade for Nomar.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Inf. Show Inf's posts

Another overpaid a$$h0le out the door.

Fine by me.

He should count his blessings, shut his mouth and play ball. I can't afford to take my husband and two kids to Fenway because of the ticket prices to cover his and other crybabies' salaries and he has the gall to complain???

Good riddance. You don't want to be here ... BYE.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuckpro. Show chuckpro's posts

I looked like the Sox were down to a classic Hobson's Choice, which is this deal or no deal. Deep down it looks like the only other option was DFA. There was NO WAY he was going to in that dugout on Friday night.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ross62. Show ross62's posts

The Sox aren't a lesser team for sending the &*%!! packing because he wasn't going to perform. No, he was just going to create more dissension. As for the clueless person who says the Sox won 2 world series with the so and so, THAT WAS THEN, AND THIS IS NOW!

And any team that gives such a putrid character a multi-year deal is absolutely out of their mind because the second the *&%!! becomes disenchanted, and he will, he and his one dimensional, declining skills game will pack it in and worse. Then the the idiotic front office and general manager who thought it would be a swell idea to bring on board a narcissist extraordinaire will be left shelling out huge dollars all for the privilege of feeling as if they are living a nightmare. Good Riddance? You're damn skippy.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from CCJRMOM. Show CCJRMOM's posts

Hey Shaughnessy can we now get you focused on running schilling out of town? I wish you had been traded to the Los Angles Times. what a hack.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from crippler228. Show crippler228's posts

OK, I have to be the one to ask. Now, I know that none of us have any way of knowing what goes on behind closed doors in the Red Sox offices. And no matter what happened, there's still no excuse for Manny's behavior. There are about a million better ways to handle a dispute. But there has to be something about the way the office handles business that is somewhat insulting or disrespectful to the players. You just don't see so many players leaving other teams on bad terms. I don't know if they're somewhat arrogant or rude or what it is, but something's going on. What is up with them?