1. You have chosen to ignore posts from stomackit10452. Show stomackit10452's posts

Aren't The Sox Going to Cash In On FA Bargains?

When I read that Pat Burrell had signed with the Rays for 2 years/16 million I couldn't believe it. We're talking chump change. This is a guy who's younger and has more power than Mike Lowell. I believe he's 32 or 33. I understand that the Sox don't really need much other than of course a catcher. But isn't this a good time to sign players even if you don't really need them. I mean. Take a guy like Jon Garland. Not long a go he was top 5 pitcher in the AL winning more than 16 games in two consecutive seasons. He's not even being mentioned in any deals right now. Whatever team signs him is going to get a bargain. What will he cost? I say maybe 3 years 24 million. That's chump change when you consider that AJ Burnett, a less reliable pitcher, signed for 5 years/85 million. I think the Sox should sign some of these guys, Dunn, Garland, Abreu, etc. Keep them or cash in by trading them later on.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bossoxAl. Show bossoxAl's posts

It look like the teams are starting to sign some of these FO. Not sure why Theo doesn't at least sign one of these players.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Milton Bradley and the Chicago Cubs reportedly are working on a three-year, $30 million contract:

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9032106/Sources:-Cubs,-Bradley-agree-to-3-year,-$30M-deal

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3811744&campaign=rss&source=MLBHeadlines

I sense the Philadelphia Phillies may have overpaid for Raul Ibanez with the reported three-year, $31.5 million contract.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

The issue with those guys is that they all likely want to be starters. Dunn wants to start, and we don't have a position for him, and then we'd have to pay him $8M+ to be an unhappy sucky #4.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sviolet1. Show sviolet1's posts

These players have to want to sign with you. Teams just can't stockpile players. Why would Dunn, Abreau, Garland etc. sign in Boston to ride the bench?

You only can have 25 players on your team and normally 11 or 12 of those are pitchers leaving you 6-7 in the bullpen. That leaves 13-14 batters. 9 starters leaves you with 4-5 bench players, one which has to be a back up catcher. This isn't fantasy baseball.

These FA may not be finding a job right now but as time goes by, they will get STARTING jobs with some team.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I sense the Philadelphia Phillies may have overpaid for Raul Ibanez with the reported three-year, $31.5 million contract.

There might be several teams that have been overpaying recently.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from manfredoko. Show manfredoko's posts

I would love to sign Jon Garland, if we could get him for say 2 years and 9 million per year. He is a perfect number 5 if healthy, because he just eats up innings. I would be reluctant to give him more than 2 years because we don't want to block up our rotation with average pitchers for the long term, with guys like Bowden or Buchholz ready to step up.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from eljefe. Show eljefe's posts

Yeah Joe, one comes to mind........

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from manfredoko. Show manfredoko's posts

Whose that boss man?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[Quote]I sense the Philadelphia Phillies may have overpaid for Raul Ibanez with the reported three-year, $31.5 million contract.

There might be several teams that have been overpaying recently.
    [/Quote]

"Might" be? several teams that have been overpaying?

Impossible. Major League Baseball teams overpaying?

Come on , now everybody knows a HR hitter is worth so much more than a Police Officer or a teacher.

Then when your kid grows up and can't spell ( are the trolls with me on this one?) it's not so funny anymore.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from fireballer58. Show fireballer58's posts

I think it was that team in New York he was talking about...the American League one...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

What are we the yankees now? We want to stockpile players and overpay for them too? We might not play them , but atleast we'll keep them away from other teams that would! What? Here's another Yankee thing: No player on MY Team is gonna make less than $20Mil a year. Oh no. can't have that. no no no.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[Quote]The issue with those guys is that they all likely want to be starters. Dunn wants to start, and we don't have a position for him, and then we'd have to pay him $8M+ to be an unhappy sucky #4.[/Quote]

I am in favor of signing Dunn Joe b/c he'd cover 3 positions that we have some injury risks at. If he will not accept a top dollar offer to be a 100 game super sub.... with the likelyhood of playing 130-40 games if 1 of 3 aging/recently injured guys goes down.... b/c he has to start then that's that.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NatickPats. Show NatickPats's posts

This thread sucks badly. What do you guys do for a living? ANyways, I think we need a guy like Bonds for our 4th outfielder. Why has no one even talked about him?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigdog1. Show bigdog1's posts

I would have liked to sign burrell over dunn, the right hand bat would have come in handy if big papi strugles. Jon garland would be nice, but i wonder if he is 100 %. I don't really want kotsay back, he's a gamer, but can't hit. I would only sign rocco, if he can play between 4 and 6 games a week.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigfoot14b. Show bigfoot14b's posts

Jeez....whaddya want? Didn't we get Brad Penny? How about Josh Bard? Maybe Guitar Boy is laying low so he can sneak up on everyone and sign Jason "Golden Jock" Giambino to a multi-year deal.

...and what about those new uniforms!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

When I think free agent bargain, I start at the top:

NICK GREEN

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ufcchamp. Show ufcchamp's posts

Take a guy like Jon Garland. Not long a go he was top 5 pitcher in the AL winning more than 16 games in two consecutive seasons. He's not even being mentioned in any deals right now. Whatever team signs him is going to get a bargain.

Maybe teams are privy to info that you and I may not have?...like...I don't know.......MEDICAL RECORDS!
    He gave up 237 hits in 196.2 inn last year.
    Where do you stockpile these guys?...in Pawtucket.
    If they work some trades than these guys can be signed to replace traded pieces, but short of that it doesn't make sense to the Sox or the FAs. Teams like the Rays (Burrell), Pitt, K.C., etc....they are the ones who may really benefit from the bargains because for similar money FAs would prefer to start because they don't want to be labeled "bench players" because it hurts them on the next contract.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SOXNVA. Show SOXNVA's posts

You want pop and a 4th outfielder why the heck not sign Jim Edmonds to a ONE year incentive ladened deal. Great bat and clubhouse guy and still plays CF like a youngster. Can fill in at DH if Papi gets hurt as well.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from yesgeo. Show yesgeo's posts

[Quote]

"unril" isn't a word...so I join Kevin Youkilis in not having any idea what you're babbling about. Next time don't do shots of Jose while you type or better still learn the alphabet.

You also 'don't' d*ck over a player like Youkilis who put the team on his shoulders after Theo ran Manny out of Boston and did everything he could to get the Sox to the World Series. If you're STUPID enough to think Youk's agent is going to forget this, then you can join the other pink hatters in the Theo Chick corner of the men's room.

Why don't you flip off the moron switch on your back before you start staring at mine? Oh yeah, yours is on a timed loop.
    [/Quote]

ARE YOU DOING CRACK... OR JUST A NASTY PERSON?? OR $KANEE FROM sATAN'S NEW TOILETT........???

THE GUY IS RIGHT... WHY SIGN A GUY WHO MAY JUST HAVE HAD HIS BEST YEAR AND BE AVERAGE OR SUCK AFTERWARDS???

YOUK WILL PLAY FREE AGENCY TO GET ALL $ HE CAN... THIS IS HIS NATURE.... EGO GONE WILD..... WATCH HOW HE WHINES AGAINST THE UMP'S...... THEO KNOWS THIS.... BUT AN AVERAGE YEAR, THEN HE WILL SIGN FOR ECOMOMIC SECURITY.... ONE INJURY AND HE GETS FRIED....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[Quote]You want pop and a 4th outfielder why the heck not sign Jim Edmonds to a ONE year incentive ladened deal. Great bat and clubhouse guy and still plays CF like a youngster. Can fill in at DH if Papi gets hurt as well.[/Quote]

If the Sox are looking at the best fourth outfielder candidates, and need guys who can play CF and RF, the best names avaialble are Kotsay, Baldelli, Edmonds and Griffey. All of them are talented players.

If the Sox want to consider the healthiest player and the on least likely to miss significant time, it does seem odd to say, but that probably means Jim Edmonds.

Baldelli - even with channelopathy - is still unsure how often he can play. Kotsay does a 2 hour routine to stretch out his back before every game. And Griffey gets hurt brushing his teeth.

Edmonds defaults his way to the top of the list...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[Quote]

I am in favor of signing Dunn Joe b/c he'd cover 3 positions that we have some injury risks at. If he will not accept a top dollar offer to be a 100 game super sub.... with the likelyhood of playing 130-40 games if 1 of 3 aging/recently injured guys goes down.... b/c he has to start then that's that.[/Quote]

I'm not sure Dunn will be enticed with the line "Hey, if someone gets hurt, we'll let you start." Somehow, I think he probably feels he has earned more than that already.

However, if the Sox do feel like overpaying for a "supersub", I think Ty Wiggington makes a ton more sense than Dunn. Dunn plays 3 postions and plays them all horribly. Wiggington plays 5 positions (1b, 2b, 3b, LF, RF), and really is only below average at 2 of them (2b and RF). Unlike Dunn, putting Wigginton in for Lowell only weakens the defense at one position, and Wiggy is actually fairly comparable to Youk as a 3rd baseman. Dunn is comparable to Giambi at 1b, on the other hand.

LIke Dunn, Wigginton is a surprising non-tender, so there is no compensation for signing him. However, Ty also probably prefers a starting gig. Although with Minnesota failing to meet his salary demands, that really leaves only teams like Milwaukee, Oakland and San Francisco as potential homes. Unless Philly or Anaheim decides to upgrade.

And one of these teams is going to sign Joe Crede...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Yeah notin those are all great points. A 25-30% decrease in offense from Wigginton for an increase in defense and a player who must know he's more of a super-sub than a starter and will take a less cash is a great situation. Ty is like a right handed Hinske. He'd be solid insurance against our 3 possible hurt/declining guys and would allow us to still sign a lefty like Edmonds or Kotsay.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from sday4x45. Show sday4x45's posts

Wigginton would be a good pickup as an insurance move. Is he content being a non starter though?

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts