1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChrisHouse. Show ChrisHouse's posts

Big Layoffs at Globe Ahead

NEW YORK, Jan 15 (Reuters) - The Boston Globe will cut 12 percent of its newsroom staff through buyouts and possibly layoffs, the latest sign of how an advertising downturn is corroding the fortunes of U.S. newspapers.

The Globe, which is owned by the New York Times Co (NYT.N), is offering buyouts to all of its newsroom staff in an effort to cut up to 50 full-time employees, Editor Martin Baron told workers in a memo posted on the paper's Boston.com website on Thursday.

"While we hope to reach the goal through voluntary departures, we will resort to layoffs," Baron wrote. This would apply to both union and non-union workers, he added.

A Globe spokesman was not immediately available for comment.

The paper's news staff has shrunk over the years as advertising revenue has tanked in the Boston area. The paper now has 379 full-time employees, and 433 full-time equivalent positions, New York Times Co spokeswoman Catherine Mathis said.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChrisHouse. Show ChrisHouse's posts

If they shut down the forum, I will most certainly miss the intelligent dialog with level-headed, non-abusive Law. I then will have to talk to my dog or the stone fence in the backyard. That Law, he was one of a kind, I will miss his logic and objectivity on the operation of the Boston Red Sox. Oh well, I'll go to another MLB team website and watch him do his thing there.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxncycles. Show soxncycles's posts

I guess we can stop hoping for some type of moderator for this board.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Is Softy extinguished?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChrisHouse. Show ChrisHouse's posts

Jeff, you are a Yankee fan right? Then why wouldn't you just be indifferent to Ryan and Shaunessy and Mazz?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from passedball. Show passedball's posts

Advertising revenue is probably down because people just don't read newspapers if they own a PC. World wide news is at your finger tips. They should just go online 100% & stop cutting down trees.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

passedball you are right it is far more than advertising. However I'm sure that has just sped up things.
    Newspapers all over the country are failing and it is for varing(sp) reasons.
    The internet IMO is a good way to get your news however I fear that due trying to be first not all information will be accurate. I also see far right and left bloggers (with their financial strenght) being able to control information flow and to the side with which they want.

I just don't see enough centrest people having the capital to match the rich left and right.

The public will need to be smart and before making a decision such as a vote for the president try and get all the right info,

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamaicaPlain67. Show JamaicaPlain67's posts

Revenue from classified ads is also way down since you can advertise free at many sites online, for instance Craig's List.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

I am an ardent Red Sox fan, and I am all for Mazz being the first one out the door. He is an absolute hack. His man crush on Teixeira blinded him to reality or objectivity.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from passedball. Show passedball's posts

[Quote]passedball you are right it is far more than advertising. However I'm sure that has just sped up things.
    Newspapers all over the country are failing and it is for varing(sp) reasons.
    The internet IMO is a good way to get your news however I fear that due trying to be first not all information will be accurate.
    [/Quote]

We get 2 newspapers delivered to the house daily. On Sunday I may or may not go through the circulars, depending on if I get the urge to buy something. I never touch the paper other than picking it off the driveway. I can view the circulars online if need be. One of my friends does not own a PC, still uses the library, reads the paper, but doesn't own a television. He was amazed that I don't read newspapers, but know what's going on anyway.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Fire Shank the Curly Haired Boyfriend

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LowellConnection. Show LowellConnection's posts

[Quote]I am an ardent Red Sox fan, and I am all for Mazz being the first one out the door. He is an absolute hack. His man crush on Teixeira blinded him to reality or objectivity.[/Quote]I agree Mazz totally has to go, can't stand the guy, and Shaughnessy too. Don't mind Bob Ryan as much, but the other two definitely need to go. Let Mazz, to to NY, so he can be around his man crush all the time!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

Ha! Advertising revenues my eye! The fact of the matter is the Boston Globe and NY Crimes ar far left newspapers and people are sick and tired of the lies and ideology and are cancelling their subscriptions.

These papers, and others, who continually push their left wing agenda were in trouble long before the recession hit.

Honest and fair newspapers in this country are doing just fine. People want to read the truth.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

[Quote]

Those mortgage conmen are named Barney (fill my mouth) Frank (D-Mass) and Chris Dodd (D-Conn), who are up to their necks in Fannie and Freddie and have gotten a total free pass from the left-wing MSM.

Who are you lefties going to blame when things go wrong under the Messiah and the left-wing attack machine - that'll be interesting to keep track of.[/Quote]

Touche'! You said it bagwell. The econonmy should get better with a guy who doesn't pay taxes in charge of the IRS and certainly the justice system with someone who pardons terrorists.
    And how about the Scy of State whose husband is in bed with Arab Countries.
    And of course, lives will certainly not be in danger when the messiah dismantles all the Bush programs that kept us safe.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tph2004. Show tph2004's posts

The right wing heral has been virtually out of business for years. You probably didnt know that the right wing herald if i have my facts straight prints at the left wing globe's plant.

BTW~ wake up it was not Barney Frank that tanked the Mortgage Industry. It was your nieghbors and the sanity that went along with allowing people to buy homes with no money down or people over borrowing against a piece of property which only has market value. I will never understand allowing people to buy with no money down and get equity lines they day after you close.

It was Clinton who signed a law, however it was Bush and his crew that pushed harder on that law to stimulate the economy and it was Frank and others who said 6 months beofre the crash things were good. They all did things that were bad.

Who came up with ARM's and who let them exist? You want to blame the companies for a person not reading a contract? I am not in this country right or left wing is full of people who dont take any responsability for what they do. Makes sense to sign a loan that the price will triple in 3 years when you can barley afford the interest payments. The Mortgage Companies lied, the people lied, the Banks lied to get rich and now most are broke.

The last 5(10 years) Congress's and the last two Presidents did nothing to prevent what anybody with any sanity could see was happening. Nobody has there hands clean.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tph2004. Show tph2004's posts

Please Bush had his own adgenda in Iraq and the Patriot Act ripped your civil liberties away. Bush was, is will always be a putz and worst President in history. While he keep you safe he doubled the National Debt, put men into war without the right equipment, let US Citizens live in a war zone in LA, his inability to understand the economy put this country into the biggest hole since Hoover. He also failed to finish the unnecessary war in Iraq, Afganastain nor did he catch Bin Laiden.

In short he failed to accomplish any goal, after he said Mission Accomplished and played a huge part , HE DID NOT DO IT HIMSELF, but did nothing to have the foresite to stop the run away train of the great depression II upon us. This Country has had two major attacks, Pearl Hardor and 9-11 and he was on duty for 9-11.

I know the left wing Clinton who proposed basiclly the same Patriot Act to a right wing senate said he was living in fantasy land was the reason Bush failed. Clinton was weak even though he tried to kill BL and missed by a few minutes. Yup, it was all Clinton's fault 9-11 which we all heard a thousand times. Bush was a putz and remains the only president to STEAL two elections with dead people voting and thrown away ballets and so on.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamaicaPlain67. Show JamaicaPlain67's posts

Good thread.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Don't much care to join the political debate, but getting back to the original point of the thread, newspapers as a species have been dying for years and I think the biggest reason nobody cares (aside from the plethora -- "Si', El Guapo, you have a plethora!" -- of alternative media) is that uber-publishers like Gannet are eliminating the opposing viewpoint. All the news in print looks the same for a very good reason -- because it is being disemminated (sp?) from one place.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from massillon8. Show massillon8's posts

What was the salary disparity in that series over or under 100 mill?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChrisHouse. Show ChrisHouse's posts

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 47gorham. Show 47gorham's posts

[Quote]Fire Shank the Curly Haired Boyfriend[/Quote]

Why? Because he doesn't kiss up to Ordway, Schilling, The Nit Wit Fat Football twins, Callahan the Brown Shirt, and the rest of the toads you worship?

25. This post has been removed.