1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mlmka. Show mlmka's posts

Bottom Line: Should the Red Sox pick up Ramirez's options for 2009 and 2010.

Not for 20 million ! He has visibly decline over the last 2 years. i would rather make a run at Mark Texiera for that kind of money and put Youk  in left.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DWIGHTRIGHT. Show DWIGHTRIGHT's posts

no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mlmka. Show mlmka's posts

[Quote]Not for 20 million ! He has visibly declined over the last 2 years. I would rather make a run at Mark Texiera for that kind of money and put Youk  in left.[/Quote]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lg1. Show lg1's posts

Yes, He misses Papi's bat.  Pitchers don't fear Drew the way they do Ortiz.  Manny is still on pace to hit 30+ wiht 100 rbis.  He has another 3 - 4 good years in him. 

I believe he is pressing because he wants to stay in Boston. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rgmfick. Show rgmfick's posts

The Red Sox should not make any decisions on Manny's first Option until the season is over.  Secondly, the Sox choices are:  Then exercise Option on 2009 or not exercise that Option, but offer Manny new Contract for 1 or more years or not exercise Option or make any offers.  I do not think Manny will be happy with less money, so I think the sole decision is to exercise the Option for 2009 or do not.  Manny's somewhat puzzling physical expressions of anger along with Manny's less consistent hitting, make the decision more difficult, but the Sox do have time to do what is in the Sox best interests.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

It is better to just comment 20 million for year with Manny than 17 million for 6 to 8 years with Texiera. The Manny options are such a good deal financially. If he is in decline and hit 20 or less HR next year you just don't pick up the next option, if he hit 30 or more HR you pick up the next option. I don't understand why people would rather get such with such a deal contract with Texiera instead of going year to year with Manny.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

No; too many guys waiting in the wings. Looks like about 8 or 10 guys (some pitchers, of course) at Pawtucket alone could play in the bigs right now. Room will have to be made for Van Avery, Bailey and Thurston pretty soon, or they'll wind up somewhere else.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from vabeachredsoxfan. Show vabeachredsoxfan's posts

Manny is one of the best right handed hitters the game has ever seen.  Even though he has shown some decline the past couple of years, he still instills fear in opposing pitchers unmatched by most other hitters.  He is in a slump right now, for whatever reason, but I think he will break out of it soon.  Remember how hot his bat was at the beginning of this season?  He still has the ability to produce.  I think the sox will ultimately pick up his option for 2009 but they won't make that decision until the end of the season.  They won't decide on 2010 until the end of the 2009 season.  Barring any serious and long-lasting injury, I would like to see Manny back next year.  I do not feel that $20 million is too much for a player of his caliber.

I will say that Manny's recent outbursts, especially the one against the traveling secretary are quite disconcerting.  There is no excuse for that kind of behavior, and I certainly hope we have seen the last of it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DWIGHTRIGHT. Show DWIGHTRIGHT's posts

hey jason,

well said; when manny doesn't hit(like the whole month of june) he gives the red sox nothing else.
    eight years of manny was great, but it's time to end that show, and strive for defense and pitching. that's what wins championships.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DWIGHTRIGHT. Show DWIGHTRIGHT's posts

sorry about the small print above, but as most of us know this forum has some major quirks.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtDogDustin. Show DirtDogDustin's posts

No, and trade for Matt Holliday

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from gbv2003. Show gbv2003's posts

Absolutely!

This guy is the main reason why Ortiz sees so many pitches to hit. He goes through slumps like everyone does in the course of the baseball season, but if you look at the body of work after each season, he delivers.

Not to mention, doesn't shrink from pressure at-bats and he kills the Yankees everytime.

Sign him up for another 3-4 years.

Of course, this all depends on what kind of money Boras thinks Manny deserves. If Boras thinks that Manny is worth +20 million per year for the next 4 years, then he's delusional. Sign him for $15-$18 million per year.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

dirt dog- thats the ticket. this team's got some old rusty parts time to "young up"!!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 92coug. Show 92coug's posts

Absolutely!!  He is still one of best hitters in baseball.  He needs Papi back.  You can avoid Manny, but it is really difficult to avoid both Manny and Papi.  I love Lowell, Youk and I even have began to like JD, but I see no reason to avoid pitching to them. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TakeTheT. Show TakeTheT's posts

let Manny write his own script in a way . . . if he can post a .300 BA and 30+ HRs, bring him back in '09 with the same approach for '10

if he can't post those numbers, it's time to let it go

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

I would wait for awhile to see how bad Manny's struggles at the plate become. At the moment he is swinging at bad pitches and can't catch up to fastballs right down the middle. I am very concerned that Manny has peaked at which point I would not reup for 20 million a year.