1. You have chosen to ignore posts from badscience. Show badscience's posts

Buster Olney: Smoltz on the verge of deal w/ Sox

"John Smoltz has pitched his entire major league career with the Atlanta Braves, but he is on the verge of a deal with the Boston Red Sox, according to sources."

Niiiiice!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

I've been hoping for this all offseason...I've had the chance to see Smoltz pitch in Atlanta quite a bit, and I love this signing.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from youngdavid74. Show youngdavid74's posts

Actually like this signing too! gives great flexibility. Can start or come out of the pen. He'll eat up alot of quality innings for us if he signs.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 5Dough. Show 5Dough's posts

Whoa! Now I know all of these guys won't have a huge impact in 09, but if we're to look at the pitching depth Boston has, whether it be spot starts, long term roles, potential high reward guys, there are a few noticeable names:

Beckett, Lester, Matsuzaka, Penny, Wakefield, Smoltz, Buchholz, Bowden, Tazawa. That is real-deal depth!

Even if some of those guys are unproven, or coming off of injuries, how many times have guys that arent suspected to have injuries undergone them? Baseball is a roll of the dice, and I really like rolling it with this kind of depth.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LouieDaLipp. Show LouieDaLipp's posts

Ask yourselves what you would say if the Yankees signed Smoltz??
    It would be a never ending stream of old/injured/washed up comments.
    I happen to be objective and a fan of the game first, and the Yankees are the team I root for. Baseball is what I love. Yankees are my team. GET IT!

What I would say about Smoltz as a fan of the game. If anyone could do it at the age of 41 after major surgery it's John Smoltz. Worth the risk. When he got hurt he was DOMINATING and could again.

Let's try to start being objective around here, and maybe we can all grow a little

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PhilTheAce. Show PhilTheAce's posts

I wonder if he can start. I heard if he went back to Atlanta they would make him the closer. I wonder if he will start or if he will be setting up Papelbon, thus letting Masterson go to the rotation.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from badscience. Show badscience's posts

I'd say anybody who got Smoltz for $5.5M + $5M incentives would be smart, Yankees or not.

[Quote]Ask yourselves what you would say if the Yankees signed Smoltz??
    I happen to be objective and a fan of the game first, and the Yankees are the team I root for. Baseball is what I love. Yankees are my team. GET IT!

What I would say about Smoltz as a fan of the game. If anyone could do it at the age of 41 after major surgery it's John Smoltz. Worth the risk. When he got hurt he was DOMINATING and could again.

Let's try to start being objective around here, and maybe we can all grow a little[/Quote]

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Great depth move. With Wake/Penny far from a sure thing Smoltz is the June ace in the hole. If he can't cut it at all Sox will go to Buch/Bowden and have 1-2 months to swing a deadline deal.

We basically have to have BOTH Wake and Penny fail... THEN Smoltz be unable to return... THEN Buch and/or Bowden fail and THEN strike out at the deadline despite money and a talented farm... all to avoid having a very good back end of the rotation.

Isn't depth nice?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from billy13. Show billy13's posts

This is an interesting signing. Smoltz is a awesome pitcher and could really help us as the season goes on. Schilling next?/

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from baseballdiamond. Show baseballdiamond's posts

[Quote]Ask yourselves what you would say if the Yankees signed Smoltz??

Let's try to start being objective around here, and maybe we can all grow a little[/Quote]

It depends on how much the Yankees pay him. That's generally the problem Sox fans have with Yankee signings. They don't just go out and get whomever they want, but overpay them so badly that it's obscene.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

I don't like Smoltz coming to the American League, in his '40's, after shoulder problems last year. It's a roll of the dice pick when we should be going hard after the big bat we still need. He might help and the reported contract is heavily incentive laden, but I just don't see this as a significant move.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from drpjn. Show drpjn's posts

These kind of moves are now predictable............. a low risk, high reward veteran pitcher who won't be ready until sometime in June. It's "copy and paste" and just change the name.

This guy is a horse and I'm sure, if healthy, he'll come through. He may even win more games than one of the expensive top of the rotation starters the Yankees signed. Now wouldn't THAT be nice!

Good work, as always, Theo!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

I think this is a pretty good signing.It's not a lot money for a seasoned veteran who can help the Sox out of the pen or starting.He should be able to eat some innings up.He certainly has a lot of experience and can play on the big stage.My understanding is that he's a great clubhouse guy and could help mentor some of the younger pitchers too.
    Although it's a shame that he's leaving a team that he's been with for his whole career,this is a relatively low risk with a potentially high reward type of deal.This could be what we're talking about next November that helped to put the Sox back on top.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from gareman2. Show gareman2's posts

"I think this is a pretty good signing. It's not a lot money for a seasoned veteran who can help the Sox out of the pen or starting. He should be able to eat some innings up."

Yeah, would that we were all blessed with "not a lot of money" this way.

Be that as it may, I've always liked Smoltz when I've seen him in the postseason.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Here is a good link on the deal:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090107&content_id=3736434&vkey=news_bos&fext=.jsp&c_id=bos&
    partnerId=rss_bos

Sounds like his surgery was pretty major and it worried the Braves, yet 6 weeks ago he was chucking a football 55 yards and telling people he was convinced he'd rebound well enough to pitch good in 09.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

I like this a great deal. I concur with many of the previous posts, low risk high reward, kudos to Theo again. If Smoltz' shoulder does not recover, well he's 41 and has had a first ballot HOF career. I know 210 wins is on the bubble but throw in 154 saves and a dominant post season resume and the guy is a shooin. He is a worthy successor to Schill in the Veteran presence/mentor for the young studs like Bucholz, Bowden, Lester etc role. Also though he is significantly older than Bartolo Colon, he takes much better care of himself and is not a complete head case like Batty is. Who knows, if he's healthy and presumably someone else ahead of him would need to spend a good amount of time on the DL, he may win 6-10 games for us. I also like his bullpen flexibility. If we get to the postseason he could be an X factor in the late innings or even more importantly an extra inning contest, anyone remember game 4 in the ALDS or game 2 in the ALCS in 08? Good work Theo and company!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from darrenryan. Show darrenryan's posts

Does this mean the end of Schilling in Boston?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigdog1. Show bigdog1's posts

great signing, if smoltz is healthy, it will allow bowden and buch develope more plus hopefuly give us 25 quality starts, this guy is a gamer, will fit in very well with lowell and co.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from caubrey. Show caubrey's posts

and yet no one is concerned that Atlanta is letting him go even though they need pitching REALLY BAD!!!? This reminds me of when the redsox let Pedro go when they knew he was threw but the Mets thought different. Soon to be 42 coming off major surgery pitching in the toughest division in baseball, coming from the National to the American league. Being realistic this may not go as well as you think.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from keepmanny7. Show keepmanny7's posts

pedro signed a 52 million dollar contract for four years. if smoltz crapped the bed it's no real loss at all for the team, just abit of depth and a few disappointed fans.

the braves need YOUNG pitching badly because, even with smoltz, they would not be a serious contender this year. keeping smoltz would make no sense for atlanta, yet plenty of sense for the sox.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgr01002. Show dgr01002's posts

Sox fans, this is a great pickup, for little risk. I'm a Boston native who lives in Atlanta (since '97) and for you to truly understand just how solid a player Smoltz is (whether it's in the clubhouse, the bullpen or as a starter), just tune into Atlanta sports radio and listen. Braves fans are hurting, sad and really upset, and it's because he is such a leader and also a suregeon on the mound. I am very excited about bringing him to Boston. He may not be able to give us 8 innings per game or even 20 starts in a season, but he'll add depth and a chance to win for whatever innings we get out of him. He also allows us to use Penny, Wake, Masterson and our farm system in more creative ways - our pitching depth is simply far superior to any team in baseball right now. I would think any manager would put Smoltz as a #2 starter in October over any other pitcher in the Boston rotation behind Beckett, and that's saying a lot about who he is, 42 years old or not. That's how sturdy he is in big game situations. Great pick up to help out.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Smoltz is better and has more heart than Bartolo Colon !!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from avenger97. Show avenger97's posts

Take a Schilling and a Penny and you got 11 cents

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from caubrey. Show caubrey's posts

The power hasn't shifted dude is 42 pitching in the toughest league. The Yanks, Rays and Jays will remind him he's no longer in Atlanta. Yanks still have the better pitching. A 42 yr old coming off surgery ain't scarying anyone.

Sections
Shortcuts