1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mpanaia. Show mpanaia's posts

Cabrera Reunion?

Cabrera would be welcomed back in Boston with open arms.

We trade Crisp & Lugo for Carbera.

We keep Ellsbury to play center , even though Crisp, right now, is a better fielder than Ellsbury, I believe that Ellsbury will continue to grow both offensively and defensively.

Dumping Lugo would be a steal for the Sox, with 3 years and $27 million left on that contract.

Although it would be nice to get Santana, we have enough arms in the system to help us win for years to come.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pppggg. Show pppggg's posts

Cabrera Reunion?

great trade unless they trade Ellibury. Then Coco Stays.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sjddaj. Show sjddaj's posts

Cabrera Reunion?

Lets hope this thread sticks around awhile. They had a similar thread earlier that I posted on and for what ever reason the globe deleted the thread about hour later.

Anyway, I don't understand the infactuation that everybody has with Cabrera. When ever there looks like a possibility that we can obtain him, Sox fans start salivating at the mouth. Sure, he was good the SHORT TIME that he was with us in 2004. But, that was 4 years ago. Get over it.

Okay, so maybe Lugo is getting over paid a bit. But, if you take away last year where Cabrera had a better than normal year, and Lugo had a worse than normal year, their numbers are pretty equal. Yet, most Sox fans would give their first born for this trade to happen. Lugo showed what kind of player he can be in the second half of last season, and should be much better for us this year.

Then on top of that you want trade Crisp as well who can be a major piece in either the Santana trade or another trade maybe involving some catcher help.

Either way, Cabrera isn't much better than Lugo. Plus his club house presence is in question as well. Yet everybody wants to get this guy at almost any cost. Makes no sense.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sjddaj. Show sjddaj's posts

Cabrera Reunion?

Like I said, Cabrera did played well for us in 2004 and helped us win our WS. I can understand people liking him. But, putting the best team we can out on the field should come from logic and reason. Not infactuations.

Yes, he played good against the Yankees for us with his 11 hits and .379 avg. But, against the Angels in the division series he only hit .154 and in the WS he only hit .235. So, for one 7 game stretch where he had a good series, Sox fans bow down to him 4 years later.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from davesakiller. Show davesakiller's posts

Cabrera Reunion?

Gary,

It wasn't Faulk's wife but you're on the right track. He showed up at a Sox dinner party with Hazel Mae and there was other stuff going on. His wife was balistic and demanded he play somewhere else. Not much different than the Chris Pronger thing in Edmonton. I'm trying to find where I read that to link it but it's been so long.

I consider Theo off the hook on this one, especially with the fact that Jacoby Ellsbury was a compensation pick for him signing with Anaheim.

http://www.soxprospects.com/dh0605.htm

Scroll down to the bottom of the draft list for 2005 and you'll see what I mean.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from apjones. Show apjones's posts

Cabrera Reunion?

wrong Cabrera

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bewls. Show bewls's posts

Cabrera Reunion?

The word I got was that Bronson the guitar man had the affair with Keithy's wife and waslet go because of that...why would you ever sign such a pitcher for such a deal and then swap him for an unproven hitter...something was fishy there! If both were true, I guess Faulky's wife was a busy lass.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dantebk9. Show dantebk9's posts

Cabrera Reunion?

Noone can really argue that Lugo just had an "off" year when he really hasnt ever been that good- he had one good half a season before he was traded to the Dodgers and that's it. He's supposed to have been our leadoff hitter, yet his career batting average is only .271 and his career OBP is only .333, which aren't the kind of numbers I look for in a $9M/year leadoff man. He isn't exactly making up for his hitting with his glove, either. Basically, Lugo is a very, very expensive pinch runner since all he does well is run. I think Theo was desperate to make up for a disappointing season of Renteria so he went all in with Lugo. Time to correct the bad signing (again) and ship him off any way we can. I'd take just about anyone to get rid of Lugo, so Cabrera is certainly welcome. If he doesn't do well, at least there's only one year left on his contract. He can't be any worse than Lugo.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sjddaj. Show sjddaj's posts

Cabrera Reunion?

dante-

There isn't any debate on Lugo being overpaid. Although, I do expect him to be better next year.

The debate is on why is everyone so quick to want cabrera instead. You said how poor (or mediocore) Lugo was and that his lifetime AVG is only .271 and his OBP is .333

Well, Cabrera lifetimes AVG is only ..273 and his OBP is worse than Lugos at .321 Yet many fans think this would be such a great trade, and that is including Crisp on the deal as well not to mention "possible" club house problems with Cabrera as well.

Again, no sense at all in wanting this trade to happen. At least in terms of talent.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dantebk9. Show dantebk9's posts

Cabrera Reunion?

The difference with Cabrera is that he has had a few good seasons, including 2007. Lugo's best season was in 2005 and it was hardly good enough to qualify his current contract. Cabrera's contract only has one more year on it, he plays better defense, and will most likely perform better than Lugo offensively. I agree that giving up Crisp and Lugo is a lot, so I'm sure the Red Sox would ask for another player in return, possibly a reliever (Chicago has a surplus). I really think Lugo hurts the team more than he helps, so getting rid of him is worth it even if Cabrera isn't the ultimate solution at SS.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kjodon7. Show kjodon7's posts

Cabrera Reunion?

At a certain point it gets embarassing to be switching shortstops every winter.

Talk about giving up too quickly, I'd still rather have Renteria than either Lugo or Cabrera.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from slikrick04. Show slikrick04's posts

Cabrera Reunion?

Although Lugo struggled during periods, he was a stable force playing above average defense up the middle which is what winning teams need. I like his speed on the bases, and his team first attitude. He had some big hits for us in the second half, and when the ball was hit to his side, I was confident that he'd make the play.

As for Cabrera, he had very nice offensive season, but he is a free swinger who lacks the plate disipline that I think warranted his departure from the Sox while he was a free agent. I agree that he is a spark plug, but we have two or three players already to provide that to our team.

With that said, I'd stay with Lugo, who I think will have a much better offensive year next season as he settles into his second season suiting up at home in the Fens.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from slikrick04. Show slikrick04's posts

Cabrera Reunion?

Renteria looked scared playing in Boston; both at the plate and in the field. He never looked comfortable, and everyone knew it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Cabrera Reunion?

If we can satisfy our backup catcher position and 8th inning guy without including Crisp (sign Dotel ot Calero....

Kiki Calero is no longer on the market ... his status as a free agent was a short-lived..

The Oakland Athletics signed Calero to a one-year contract one day after the A's failed to tender the reliever a contract.

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_7719257?IADID=Search-www.mercurynews.com-www.mercurynews.com&nclick_check=1

http://oakland.athletics.mlb.com/team/transactions.jsp?c_id=oak

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Cabrera Reunion?

"Anyway, I don't understand the infactuation that everybody has with Cabrera. When ever there looks like a possibility that we can obtain him, Sox fans start salivating at the mouth. Sure, he was good the SHORT TIME that he was with us in 2004. But, that was 4 years ago. Get over it.

Okay, so maybe Lugo is getting over paid a bit. But, if you take away last year where Cabrera had a better than normal year, and Lugo had a worse than normal year, their numbers are pretty equal. Yet, most Sox fans would give their first born for this trade to happen. Lugo showed what kind of player he can be in the second half of last season, and should be much better for us this year.

Then on top of that you want trade Crisp as well who can be a major piece in either the Santana trade or another trade maybe involving some catcher help.

Either way, Cabrera isn't much better than Lugo. Plus his club house presence is in question as well. Yet everybody wants to get this guy at almost any cost. Makes no sense."

I agree with sddaj, who I recently learned is a dude.

Since the beginning of the 2004 season, Cabrera has a total of 314 Runs Created. Lugo has a total of 310 Runs Created. Cabrera's total FRAR (Fielding Runs Above Replacement) is 87; Lugo's is 78.

If you add up the offensive and defensive run contribtutions from each over a very good representative sample size of 4 year, Cabrera does have a slight edge - 401 to 388.

This means that over a 4-year stretch, Cabrera has been worth a grand total of 13 more runs than Lugo. This translates to 1 Pythagoean win in a 4 year strech. Big deal. Does that make it worth giving away another starting position play for this minimal upgrade? One win every 4 years?

On top of it all, the only reason Cabrera is even better is he is coming off a career-best season and Lugo is coming off a career worst. The totals of the RC + FRAR for the 2 players from 2004 through 2006 favors Lugo by a much wider margin - 318 to 277. This difference represents about 3 wins over 3 years, or 1 win per year. Much better.

The upgrade here is so small and Crisp can be better used elsewhere in a trade. This move is pretty much tantamount to cutting Crisp altogether and hoping for the best. The only way the Sox should even consdier this is if the White Sox throw something else useful back at them, (For instance, if we could work out a deal where we send Joe Crede to Anaheim for Juan Rivera.), then its worth thinking about.

Also, Cabrera is a free agent after this season. Then who's at SS in 2009? Should the Sox re-sign Cabrera, who will be 35 and might be looking for 4 years/$50mill? Do they continue the revolving door and hope Lowrie pans out? Do they listen to Soxway and deal Masterson for Arias?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Cabrera Reunion?

"I agree that giving up Crisp and Lugo is a lot, so I'm sure the Red Sox would ask for another player in return, possibly a reliever (Chicago has a surplus)."

A surplus?

You seen that bullpen? After Jenks, they have less firepower than the Salvation Army...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pppggg. Show pppggg's posts

Cabrera Reunion?

I thought OC was drilling Foulk's wife and that'a why they dumped him.