1. You have chosen to ignore posts from stomackit10452. Show stomackit10452's posts

Can the Sox Afford Both Teixeira & Burnett?

Some weeks ago I wrote a post asking who people wanted to see in Boston more: Teixeira or Burnett. Reports say the Sox are "fully engaged" in talks for Burnett. Coco gets traded which means they are making room, cutting financial committments, to be able to make other moves. This is getting very interesting now. I think the Sox can afford both of them. Teixeira basically will earn what Manny earned last year. So that's a wash and with the money saved on the departures of Schilling (8m), Crisp (5m), Timlin (3m), Casey (3m or so), that's 19 million that could be spent to sign Burnett. Of course I wouldn't pay 19 million a year for him but you get my point.

If the Sox sign them both, with all the talks about the Yankees going all out in free agency, even if they end up with Sabathia and Lowe let's say, the Red Sox adding Teixeira and Burnett is by far a bigger, bolder statement. This would make this team the favorite to win it all next year, on paper of course. Also, the fact that they are now engaged in talks with Burnett could mean Wakefield's shoulder is indeed damaged and they have to go out and get another starter.

Who can deal with this? Beckett, Lester, Matsuzaka, Burnett, ?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hyperRevue. Show hyperRevue's posts

I don't want anything to do with Burnett. I hope the reports aren't true.

I think the addition of Ramirez means Masterson will be starting.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PSFever. Show PSFever's posts

I'm sure we wouldn't be hurt too badly by signing both Burnett and Tex. I think Masterson will be starting now that we have Ramirez. Theo may be looking for a bit more insurance in case Wake retires, or just making the Yankees pay dearly for Burnett as we discussed in another post.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roast1999. Show Roast1999's posts

I definitely think the Sox are driving up the price for the Yanks

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from OscarGamble. Show OscarGamble's posts

I certainly understand the concerns about Burnett (health, only tries during a contract year, etc..) but saying you "want nothing to do" with him is ridiculous. Yeah, who would want a proven #4 starter w/ a tremendous arm & coming off a 220+ strikeout season? If it's just a bluff, as I suspect, that's fine. But John Henry loves him some former Marlins and this five-man rotation would definitely be improved with Burnett.
    I think they can afford both. Maybe the most important element is that this ownership group did NOT win the World Series in '08. Something tells me these guys like winning. A lot. These guys will spend the money to win championships.
    Ramirez & Schill are off, along w/ Crisp and whatever they end up saving on Tek, replaced by Bay's $7.5 million. What they have to look out for are Youk, Lester, Paps, Pedey (couple others) who will need to be paid soon. Especially, Youkilis, with arbitration looming again and coming off a breakout season.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hyperRevue. Show hyperRevue's posts

"Want nothing to do with" might have been a little extreme, sure. But I do not want the Sox to sign him for 4-5 years at $15-18 mil per.

As you said, he's very injury prone and has only exceeded 200 innings 3 times (twice in contract years). I just wouldn't trust him to stay healthy.

To say nothing of the fact that if they were to sign him, the #4 starter would be making almost more than Beckett and Dice-K combined.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DWIGHTRIGHT. Show DWIGHTRIGHT's posts

agreed; sox don't need burnett. however, whether they go after burnett or lowe, the question isn't "can the sox afford both tex and one of the above pitchers?"
    the correct question is "can the sox fans afford tex and one of those pitchers?" because in the end it will be the fans who foot the bill, one way or another; ticket prices down the road and tv costs will certainly go up..
    guaranteed this isn't coming out of john henry's private stash.

teixeira should be the priority of the FO. give him the money he and bora$$ want, and the sox will be sitting pretty for the next 6 to 8 years.
    DON'T WASTE MONEY ON BURNETT OR LOWE. the addition of ramirez in the pen frees up masterson, who is going to be a monster starter.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BatmanJWO. Show BatmanJWO's posts

I think Derek Lowe will be back and not Burnett.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

My guess is the answer is yes. We were at $143M in 2007. We were at $133M in 2008. Subtract Manny/Bay diff, Schilling, Crisp and Timlin, we're at $107. Add Tex and Burnett for $33M, and we're about where we were in 2007.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Batman: BORA$$ wants Zito type money for Lowe...Burnett might be a better option...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hyperRevue. Show hyperRevue's posts

ESPN is saying that Lowe's asking price starts at $16 million.

No thanks.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from headofted. Show headofted's posts

[Quote]I definitely think the Sox are driving up the price for the Yanks[/Quote]

I disagree, I think the yankees are driving up the price for the sox.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[Quote]

I disagree, I think the yankees are driving up the price for the sox.[/Quote]

If you are refering to Teixeria you are probably right if you are refering to Burnett you are probably wrong.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[Quote]The Yankees sources gossip have admitted the CC offer, but have called the Burnett reported numbers laughable. We'll see, but Burnett would be a nice pickup if the price isn't too high. If it is, forget it. We'll see, leaks are calculated and are often contrived or red herrings.

Again, I'm opposed to the Tex unload the Manny money long term deal! I want us to target the younger stars, Hamilton or Sizemore, over the next year or two. I want another top starter who still has at least 2 or 3 years left in the tank, so we can go deep in the farm on pitching prospects and put together a potential deal to get the next stars that are many years younger than Tex. Those are the guys to give the long term Manny contracts to. Tex is much older and doesn't fit the team without eating more money on Lowell or trading Youk, who just won a silver slugger and 3rd place MVP finish. Hardly smart use of money. Tex is 30 plus, so he looks great on the front and middle end, but I'd hate to have the back end.[/Quote]

Tex is 28, Hamilton is 27, and Sizmore is 26 they are all pretty similar in age.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Can we afford it yes,
    We have ManRam, Tek, Timlin, Schilling all coming off the books. While we may sign Tek it would be for maybe 8 mil, or we will pass. That is $40 mil of the books, 32 if we sign Tek. So yeah we can afford them, but do we wanna risk losing our young guns?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hawkcch24. Show hawkcch24's posts

Everyone has thier opinions and mine is I would prefer Burnett to Lowe mostly because of the insane numbers Borass is throwing out there for Lowe. One thing to think about is Burnett would not have to work near as hard on the mound with the sox due to the fact that we can actually score some runs for him unlike the jays.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

I'll start by admitting that I like Lowe, and would love to see him be our #4 starter. But if the money and years are similar, I like Burnett over Lowe, due to age and potential when healthy.

Sox MAY be pushing up price for Yanks, who are targeting 3 FA starters to join their rotation for 2009. And that COULD limit the suitors for Texeira to just LAA, Orioles and Sox. And the Sox could then end up with Sheets. But the FA season is long and undpredictable. The Sox cannot really afford to play poker and see how the chips fall, risking the possibility that they get shut out. I suspect that Theo and company have their targets and will agressively go after them not to drive up prices, but to put the best 40 men in place for 2009 as soon as it can be done. Doesn't mean that their public posture is to be trusted, but making bids they don't really mean is not their game.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from billy13. Show billy13's posts

I dont see the sox making a move like signing both. Tex fits our model, but only at 6 yrs. If he wants 8-10 yrs., thats crazy. I think he might accept a 6 yr deal, which would allow him one more long term contract at 34-35. It might take 25mill per or 150 mill. That is a lot of cheese to invest for 6 yrs. I think he is worth it. He will be a productive player for this contract absent injury.

Burnett is 31, and the sox can afford to give him 4 yrs. 60 mill. I dont think giving him a long term contract is going to happen. I just think its against the Red sox model. Other than Dice, who was 26, they just dont give long term contracts to pitchers. They can afford it, but I dont see it happening. I would be shocked.

I think the sox are posturing on Burnett. I dont see us getting any big money FA pitching. Unless its Byrd/Kawakami/Taraza(sp), Penny, or that type of signing, I think Theo will pass. I like the Kawakami option and Penny. Penny for two years? Where do we sign. I would rather bring back Byrd than throw the farm or big dollars at the crop of FA pitching. Only CC meets our model.