1. You have chosen to ignore posts from patpscyho. Show patpscyho's posts

Cassel or O'Connell?

Some interesting reads in the posts today regarding Cassel. A lot of people saying he has to go, and some saying give him some time.

But the harsh truth that I'd like to point out here is that our #1 receiver doesn't seem to have the confidence in Cassel.. He has taken plays off and today took a really big play off, a crucial 3rd and 8 on the first drive of the 2nd half. Cassel's throw was on the money, for once, but Moss didn't bother reaching for it.

Welker has also appeared frustrated with Cassel from time to time, he got pretty steamed after a telegraphed lateral pass.

On one hand, it is unfair to have Cassel walk the plank at this time, because to be fair, he has not been given the green light to throw the bomb. The Dolphins gambled on this coming into this game, and that gamble really paid off.

On the other hand, it is the QB's responsibility to earn the trust and confidence of the offense, and I just don't see it happening. I see more frustration than anything else. Something has to happen.

Honestly, I do hope despite BB's rep of not throwing a 1st year QB in the water to sink or swim, he does give O'Connell a chance this year. O'Connell has a few things that you can't teach a QB: field vision, poise, and great read/react skills. In the preseason games that he played, even though it was against 3rd string, he did give the offense some pop and sizzle, something that Cassel and Gutierrez did not do during the preseason, and even in the season.

O'Connell came in the game with 6 minutes left, which I think is highly unusual. He put in a good two rep, not forcing the ball on broken plays, and generally exhibited good poise.

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from viewer222. Show viewer222's posts

Cassel or O'Connell?

If you watched the game, there' a problem with Matt Cassell's quarterbacking skills. Its not about if he went 19 for 31. What about all the opportunity he had with open receivers. He does not see the field well.
    Oftentimes he freezes when he needs to make a pass. Some of this would be corrected by more playing time and some of it will always be part of Matt Cassel's skill set. In short, at best he will never be a quality NFL quarterback. The Patriots have too many weapons to waste on trying to develop a quarteback who in the future will be sitting on the bench on some other team. Maybe try out OConnell but, a Drew Bledsoe or even a Chris Sims makes more sense.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Cassel or O'Connell?

Dudes... First and foremost this game sucked across the board. Coaching, DEFENSE, offense, blocking, tackling.

Talking about changing QB's when you are 2-1 after 3 games of the season is rash. We knew when Brady went down that this would be a learning experience over several games for cassel AND the rest of the team. It sucks watching the Fins do what they did but I would rather play a stinker against an 0-2 team than a team that is competing for the division... (like the Jets)

So take the lumps and move on. Learn from it. O'Connnel will get his chance at some point but the key is not to rush him. We don't need 2 quarterbacks performing badly because of bad coaching...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

Cassel or O'Connell?

lets see can I flip a coin?the playing time in collage is a bunch of garbage.its just how good the player is.cassel rode the bench here for 4yrs.arron rogers rode the bench in greenbay for the same amount of time.and that team looks real good.even in there loss.rogers isnt better because he played games in collage.he is just a better player.not to mention a great O-Line the packers have.to bad ours isnt that great.i can name a lot of heisman QB,s who were busts in this league,and many who didnt even get drafted,or ever played a snap.who is JT-osullivan?he looked pretty good.and he won over big name collage player alex smith.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobopeelot. Show bobopeelot's posts

Cassel or O'Connell?

[Quote]Dudes... First and foremost this game sucked across the board. Coaching, DEFENSE, offense, blocking, tackling.

Talking about changing QB's when you are 2-1 after 3 games of the season is rash. We knew when Brady went down that this would be a learning experience over several games for cassel AND the rest of the team. It sucks watching the Fins do what they did but I would rather play a stinker against an 0-2 team than a team that is competing for the division... (like the Jets)

So take the lumps and move on. Learn from it. O'Connnel will get his chance at some point but the key is not to rush him. We don't need 2 quarterbacks performing badly because of bad coaching...

[/Quote]
    Valid points, however the foremost issue of lack of confidence from his teamates remains. I personally believe his future lies elsewhere several years down the road.
    Garcia, Lynch, and Culpepper need to be added immediately.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JVD45. Show JVD45's posts

Cassel or O'Connell?

I know that during preseason that O'connell was playing against third stringers but to me it at least look liked the offense did respond well to him under center when some games were at a total loss. Since he never did start a preseason game we never got to see him against better talent and who is to say he couldn't do it. I think that the Patriots more than anything need another leader under center and O'connell was the captain of his college team for FOUR years!!! I would say that he has the ability to be the man. Unless Cassell has a load of leadership we haven't seen yet I don't know if the team will ever respond in a positive manner with him under center.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from radosox. Show radosox's posts

Cassel or O'Connell?

Yesterday was a total team loss. No matter how well MC played, they would have had a hard time winning, considering the defense could not stop Miami.

But, with the wide receivers and backs on this team, they need better production from the QB position. There are available QB's out there that would love to have the offensive weapons that are on this team.

Who know's, with the bye week here, maybe BB signs a QB or they take a closer look at starting O'Connell.

Bottom line is they need better QB play then they are getting

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

Cassel or O'Connell?

I'm not giving a free pass to the D or coaching staff but Cassell is terrible!! Of course playing time is important. There's no way you can learn to read defenses without actually being on the field doing it. This guy has barely played in 9 years!!! I've been saying since the beginning of last year that Belichick and Pioli were taking a huge gamble that Brady wouldn't get hurt. This year they lost!! Nobody would be able to completely replace Brady but to me there's no excuse to not have a legit backup on the roster. It was pretty obvious this pre-season that Cassell was not a legit #2. Most of us thought he was the 4th best qb on the team and was on his way to being cut. Now we have to watch this crap for 13 more games or until they pull the plug on him!! I'm ready to see what O'C can do.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tahoepow. Show tahoepow's posts

Cassel or O'Connell?

I understand peoples perspective on giving cassel a chance. However I disagree. The guy clearly lacks any confidence in himself, from the coaches, and from the players. I mean if there was ever going to be a team where the training wheels were taken off this kid it would have been against miami. If BB doesn't even trust him to throw a deep ball against Miami there is major problems. At this point the pats best choice is to either start O'Connel or go get Garcia. Cassel needs to be kicked to the curb in a hurry. Yes the game yesterday wasn't all his fault. It was the teams fault. But when your receivers especially welker are angry at you there is a problem. The Pats have a bye week and they need to find a replacement qb asap so they can get ready for the 9ers. This BB project is a failure he needs to recognize it. Cassel failed in pre season and is failing again. He has zero ability to win games.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcoto83. Show jcoto83's posts

Cassel or O'Connell?

O' Connel would be a terrible choice. No rookie quarterback has ever done we'll in his first year. The only one that has even come close to putting together a productive year was Ben Rothlesberger, and that was only because he had a great team behind him, and he still ended up blowing it. So anyone that thinks a rookie can come in and save your season apparently knows nothing about football. Mabe in a year or two he'll be ready. Till then I'd rather go with Gute if we make a change.He's had a year in the system and he's actually started some games this century. Plus he at least won the starting job at michigan before losing it to an injury. Which is more than matt cassel can say.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbh123. Show tbh123's posts

Cassel or O'Connell?

I am all for getting Garcia. He has picked up systems quickly before. We are not a rebuilding team. Now is not the time to throw in a kid and see how it all falls. We are still built to win now, despite the Defense looking like they went out drinking Sat night

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from deluxbury. Show deluxbury's posts

Cassel or O'Connell?

[Quote]I'd rather go on this bumpy ride with O'Connell at the
    helm. He actually had a college career, threw for
    7,689 yards and 46 touchdowns. Cassel sat on the
    bench.

Cassel has been a BB project so it will be hard for
    him to let it go. But Cassel is in the last year of
    his contract and will be an UFA at the end of the
    year. He's gone whether he has a good year or
    a bad one. O'Connell will still be here. I'd rather
    see O'Connell play and get his bumps and bruises
    so we can see what we have.

The Bills were forced to start Trent Edwards last
    year (92nd overall pick) and he's turned out
    fine. I don't think the season is lost if O'Connell
    (94th overall pick) gets his chance. And O'Connell
    has a lot more weapons to work with than
    Edwards did.

Cassel did not do enough to earn a spot on this
    roster during the preseason and yet to everyone's
    surprise he made the team. Yes, O'Connell played
    against 3rd stringers but he played well.

And yes, confidence is huge when it comes to the
    offense. If the guys don't have confidence in
    Cassel then it's going to be a problem (that's
    still no excuse for Moss not going after balls,
    he has to try no matter who's slinging the ball).

I say give O'Connell a chance right now. If they
    go out to the west coast and Cassel plays badly
    and they come back 2-3 then O'Connell gets
    tossed in against the Broncos. I'd rather see
    him start against the 49ers and then go on to
    his old stomping grounds in San Diego.

There's two weeks to get O'Connell ready to
    start. Now is the time to do it.[/Quote]

Fairbanks76: I couldn't agree more! I agree Cassel is not the sole reason we lost to the Dolphins yesterday however there is nothing wrong with critiquing the QB play.

Cassel is tentative and is not getting any flow into the offense. The unit as a whole as absolutely no rythm.

O'Connell has played a ton of ball at a very high level the last 4 years while Cassel has played NONE!

O'Connell is the future #2 and possibly #1. Mind as well play him now and see what he's got!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from deluxbury. Show deluxbury's posts

Cassel or O'Connell?

[Quote]I'm not giving a free pass to the D or coaching staff but Cassell is terrible!! Of course playing time is important. There's no way you can learn to read defenses without actually being on the field doing it. This guy has barely played in 9 years!!! I've been saying since the beginning of last year that Belichick and Pioli were taking a huge gamble that Brady wouldn't get hurt. This year they lost!! Nobody would be able to completely replace Brady but to me there's no excuse to not have a legit backup on the roster. It was pretty obvious this pre-season that Cassell was not a legit #2. Most of us thought he was the 4th best qb on the team and was on his way to being cut. Now we have to watch this crap for 13 more games or until they pull the plug on him!! I'm ready to see what O'C can do.[/Quote]

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from wolfwood. Show wolfwood's posts

Cassel or O'Connell?

we played no defense last game il start to worry when ou rD is playing well and our O line holds its own and he does nothign but last game D and O didnt do their jobs

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

Cassel or O'Connell?

[Quote]College playing time is garbage? Let's draft these guys straight
    from high school then. By the way Aaron Rodgers threw for
    5,469 yards at Cal and 43 TDs (all in two years). He was also
    a first round pick. College experience obviously doesn't
    guarantee success as a pro but it sure helps more than
    riding a bench at USC.[/Quote]fairbanks i can give you a big list of heisman QB,s who were busts so yes playing every snap in collage dosent mean squat.how did alex smith do in collage?here are some more.ty detmer-andre ware-gino torretto-charlie ward-danny wuerful-eric crouch.all heisman winners who played every snap in collage.and didnt pan out in the NFL.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bucksy. Show bucksy's posts

Cassel or O'Connell?

We need to support BB and the rest of the team but we need to get a strong QB right now to compete for the rest of the season. Garcia is a nice option but what about #11. I know he's a totem pole at the pocket but he can still play and can adjust with the system quickly. Just a thought for the season.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from max24. Show max24's posts

Cassel or O'Connell?

Good idea, lets put in our draft pick QB, right behind the nonexistant offensive line. Maybe only one of his knees will be broken.

That being said, I just wish they had another game to play before the bye week. Right now is the only time they could pull off bringing in a new QB, and I'm still not convinced they should do it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Cassel or O'Connell?

OMG you guys are retarded! Yea lets make a wicked illadvised trade for Garcia, yea lets go against everything we have been about for the last 8 years, lets go against the system that we put in place that has won us 3 super bowls and just trade away a draft pick for a QB who has never played in anything except for the west coast offense yea lets do that! JESUS! Drew Bledose is all done with football, he was washed up when he retired and he is washed up now and Cassel 100% gives us a better chance to win then if "number 11" was behind center. You are so quick to throw Cassel under the bus it makes me sick, it is so god damned predictable i mean come on, the team, as in the entire 53 man roster had a bad day and now you are calling for his job? for 1 people are allowed to have a bad day here and there, Tom Brady was shut out by the Buffalo Bills 38 to nothing one year and later on that year the Pats shut out the Bills. were you calling for his job then as well? bad games happen and with Cassel at QB you better get used to it btu the importent thing is we win more games then we lose and that i think we can do. Give Cassel time to develop and we wont regret it but start calling for head on a silver platter and that is it, i promise you if we create a QB controversy we will have a very bad season but if we let Cassel do what the coaches ask him to we will win more then we lose, screw what the naysayers say. who cares if everyone else thinks we are all done. The team had a bad day not Cassel so i guess we should try and trade for a new D right? maybe trade away our entire O line? when has this staff ever made a mid season trade? when?!!!!! use your f*cking head before you open your mouth

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tahoepow. Show tahoepow's posts

Cassel or O'Connell?

I completely disagree with mvpkilla. At this point I would rather see the rookie start. I sure as heck hope the fans create a qb contreversy and force cassel out of town. Nothing would make me happier. The guys isn't good enough to play at the mvp level. Cassel had a terrible game yesterday. Realistically he should have had 3 or 4 picks good thing the dolphins secondary can't catch. I can just see the healdine now when the pats go against the chargers. Cassel throws 6 picks 3 returned to the house by cromartie. Yep certainly is time to move on.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcappy. Show jcappy's posts

Cassel or O'Connell?

Moss is key here... We ain't going very far without him, and as long as he's here, we gotta ride with him... Give him Culpepper--or Garcia and let's go on that ride for this season. At least it will be more fun, and Moss man will be in action.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

Cassel or O'Connell?

fairbanks-the point im trying to make is if a player is good he will make it.if he is bad he wont.playing time in collage will not automatically make someone better. there is less then 25 percent for a good collage QB to make it in the NFL.am i a huge cassel fan?no,but im not a huge o-connel fan eatheir.in my opinion I feel it was a waste of a 3rd rd pick,but this is my opinion.in a couple of years ill eatheir say boy I was wrong about this kid,or I could say I knew it.but do you really want to put him in behind this O-Line?and risk a serious injury,or makeing his confidence drop to nothing?he came in the game and got creamed on second down.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from DavidSeattle. Show DavidSeattle's posts

Cassel or O'Connell?

Matt G. and Garcia,

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from DavidSeattle. Show DavidSeattle's posts

Cassel or O'Connell?

I think a QB change is an absolute. I didn't know Jeff Garcia was Available. This might help. I think he got the Eagles there a year or so ago after Mc Nabb was hurt. Matt G. is my other dhoice.
    BUT I think too , that after a poor judgement has been made, i.e. Monty Beisel ,. Duane Starks, it is necessary to percieve that error and make the change.
    B.B. is a great coach because he knows people and can et them to perform. He will make the adjustments because this is a business and performance matters. So, I think Matt Casselis done

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolfer. Show rolfer's posts

Cassel or O'Connell?

It's cassel's 2d friggin' game! What do you guys expect? No growing pains? Steve Young was awful in his first 5 games or so. It takes time in this league for QB to get familiar. Starting the rookie would be a bad idea. Look how many rookies get roughed up and are never the same.
    Let's give Cassel a few games and see if he grows.
    Besides the O-line was pathetic, again.
    Culpepper is washed up and uncoachable, not BB material

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rezadude. Show rezadude's posts

Cassel or O'Connell?

What I see is a bunch of spoilde pats fans. TB didn't play like he did last year 6 years ago. Get with reality!!!!!!!!!!!!! Any QB will need game speed experience and that is what Cassel is going through. Did oc'connell do any better the last 6 minutes of the game? People are just praying for the best without thinking what has to happen before a QB is match ready!
    Instead of Cassell,turn your focus on the defense, which played like a 1-15 team on Sunda; Oh and those guys in the front 7 should be picking up trash around foxboro after the way they played!

Sections
Shortcuts