1. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

cassell is better than brady

Let's face it, Brady and the spread offense were getting stale starting in the playoffs last year, which caused the super bowl loss and can also be blamed for defenses teeing off with pressure blitz packages that ended up knocking him out for the year.

This is not Brady's fault. He was doing the best he could as his skills evolved and the team was overloaded with down the field receiving talent that could not be ignored. The problem happened when an inexperienced Offensive Coordinator failed to recognize the pitfalls of putting your franchise quarterback with skinny legs and slow feet back in the pocket over and over as defenses realized how to attack him. This is on Josh McDaniels and this is his wake up call.

Having Cassel running the offense will force a game plan that won the Patriots their 3 superbowls; a gameplan based on balance, short quick passing and occasional shots down the field only when the defense has been sufficiently backed up... in other words the offense that JMcD should have learned in OC 101 class (or from watching charlie weis). This inexperience failed the team in the super bowl as there was no answer for the giants pass rush which pounded Brady until they finally tired a bit in the fourth quarter.

Cassel is not better than Brady except that he can run with the ball and is more like a young Steve Grogan than Brady, but the fact that he will force McDitziels to rethink this offensive strategy will be better for the team in the long run.

comments...?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

first,brady injury was just bad luck.and second is our offensive line that good,or was it brady makeing them look better with his quick releases?for when brady had to hold onto the ball longer then he normally does.which is in seconds.the rush is all over him.we had a stellar year last season.the O-line broke down.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnpats168. Show soxnpats168's posts

You're a joke.

No further analysis on this idiotic thread.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

bell-anus... real intelligent commentary there and oh by the way 844 comments since may of this year...? maybe you should get a life.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

i see the gameplan being more efficient for cassel,but no way does it make him better.as for how many posts someone has.shouldnt matter about anything im pushing 800.not that i dont have a life,but i enjoy posting,as some here may just read,and post now,and then.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from deluxbury. Show deluxbury's posts

I like your assesment on JM's shortcomings but be careful with the title of your posting. Cassel is not and will never be better than Bray!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

[Quote]bell-anus... real intelligent commentary there and oh by the way 844 comments since may of this year...? maybe you should get a life.[/Quote]

Nothing like someone posting on an internet message board that someone else has no life because of how much they post on an internet message board ...

Let's face it, none of us have a life.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

OK... one thing at a time... and then back to my non-life.

I think Cassel has a lot of upside because of his athletic pedigree (drafted by mlb, has 2 brothers in mlb) and great wheels. Brady can't say that, but what makes Brady great is his coolness and his competitiveness that never quits and his throwing mechanics.

I'm hoping that some of the mental stuff has rubbed off on Cassel and he will be cool like Brady. This is his chance and if the media and fans don't freak out on him he can take this opportunity to grow into the position over several games (win or lose), but my prediction is that he will succeed because of the stuff I mentioned but also because I see the team coming together over this and just continuing to win.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

If someone's gonna lead the offense it has to be Matt Light. Faulk is only on the field a third of the time. It isn't in Moss's personality. Welker is fiery but he's too young. Of course, Cassel would be nice, but for now he's just the officer in commmand. Light has to be his sergeant to get everyone behind him.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from patpscyho. Show patpscyho's posts

I got a good laugh out of this thread. Thanks all.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

How about leadership from the coaches...? It's all great to have an on the field leader but the players all follow the coaches lead when it comes to play calling and strategy.

This thread is about the OC and the DC putting this team in a position to win by using strategy that keeps the opponent off balance and second-guessing. As far as the offense goes, this means getting the ball out quick and using bootlegs and roll outs to take advantage of Cassel's wheels and slow the pass rush. These types of adjustments will make this offense harder to defend IMO since it will possess the #1 ingredient for success in the NFL... unpredictability, along with the #2 which is excellent players who can execute.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bernardo83. Show Bernardo83's posts

You all want a better offense strategy after being the best offense in NFL history. Cassell will never be as good as Brady is. But well I guee it be enough to make the playoffs.
    Wh dare sto compare brady with cassell is a ....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tredawnt. Show tredawnt's posts

The title of this thread is all wrong.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Cassel will be the leader of this offense, they are behind him and the whole team has his back, he is the guy and he knows that. I dont think we will need a new leader to emerge because Cassel is already that guy. I think Brady will be around this team as much as he can and he will help Cassel a great deal as a leader. As for what you said abotu Josh Mcdanials that is such acop out. Bill Belicheck is the head coach of this football team so if you have a problem with the way we ran the offense in the super bowl then place the blame where the blame belongs....with the head coach. Just because you are too scared of what people will say to you if you bash Belicheck does not mean you should place the blame on McDanials. The guy has been a really good OC for us for the last 3 years and he was teh OC of the highest scoring offense ever so if oyu have a problem with the coaching in the super bowl dont be a puss and avoid blaming Belicheck because as head coach the blame falls on him. I do however agree that with Cassel at the helm this team will get back to its 03/04 ways that won championships.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

The title was meant to be provocative but not literal. If you read the lead post you should get it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

test

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Killa... You said it in your last sentence... Back to the 03/04 offense that won championships. Since McD took over this team has lost three big games... Denver, Indy, and the super bowl. Game planning and in -game adjustments become more and more critical as the magnitude of the game increases.

Letting McD off the hook is just dumb. He is the single most important piece of the offense since he gives it (or fails to give it) the unpredictability that is needed to succeed. He has gotten outcoached in all three of those games.

Saying he presided over the best offense is nice,but he lost the big game. He shrunk. He called a terrible game that never slowed down the rush on Brady. He never adjusted. It is true that the team wins and loses as a team but it is arrogant to say that the OC position performance should not be improved.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from theirishseller. Show theirishseller's posts

I'm sorry, I'm into drinking the Patriot Koolaid as much as the next fan, but to even think that Cassel is in any way comparable (much less better) to Tom Brady is just stupid. I've watched TB over his career (and three SB Wins) see receivers that other QBs don't, figure out receivers that will be open and throw based upon that, when other QBs can't. I saw him throw 50 TD passes! I've seen TB be amongst the league leaders in total yards, TDs and QB rating all the while throwing to journeymen receivers. He is a first ballot HOF quarterback and arguable the best in the game and you're telling me that matt Cassel (he of the no starts in the NFL) is "better" because he runs around better??!? I'll take TB over a young, seasoned and old Steve Grogan, much less Matt Cassel. What does TB have to do to gain your respect? The guy is a two time SB MVP and you're comparing him to a guy that's never started a game in the NFL. WOW.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mungomunro. Show Mungomunro's posts

I was very impressed with the way Cassel handled the game againts KC.

It makes me sick to see the media gushing over Farves lucky lollypop passes that will get picked off %50 of the while they hardly mentioned Cassels cannon shot from his own endzone, 55 yards down field on a rope.

Brady is the best ever and the only way Cassel can be called better then Brady is to do what Brady has already done.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rezadude. Show rezadude's posts

I agree that the title is misleading but I also understand what coolade is trying to say here. Much of Patriots OFFENSIVE success has been based on a balanced offensive attack. It was only late 3rd quarter in the Superbowl that the patriots reverted to the short passes and running the ball and in hindsight they waited too long to adjust! It wasn't so much brady's strengths that changed the offensive scheme last year but the addition of Moss and Stallworth. I can't honestly say that Brady is the best long-ball QB I have seen. In my mind, Brady is the best short-ball QB I have ever seen. Cassell showed some poise with the long-ball last week but the key to the success of the PATs is to establish a rythm with short passes (Welker, Morris, , Faulk, Jordan) and the running game and use play action on the long passes to Moss and Gaffney

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 347pg. Show 347pg's posts

Cassel might (but I doubt it) be better one day than Brady, but you're not better until you prove it. Me...I'd take Brady on crutches in the pocket over any other QB in the league.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

kmax... I don't think the offense that we ran in 03/04 was conservative. Weis just knew how to move the ball around the field and make the defense guess. Getting the ball out quick is just what you do to protect your QB. Running screens same thing. Make the D-line run all over the field to tire them out... Get them frustrated. Don't let them tee off on your QB. That's the bottom line.

McD seems to be an x's and o's guy with not much feel for the game plus he's too young. He looks like a boy out there compared to the crafty old Weis. Last year there was talk that he was going to be the next young head coach to defect from the Pats. I was like... yah right... We should be so lucky.

This is the one problem that I have with BB because he has always treated the OC position as an afterthought. Like... Weis left and there was this void and he was like... "uh... the plays will get called..." As if it was this minimal detail that an errand boy could do, like it's just up to the players to execute and oh well the best team will win.

WE'RE STILL not there three years later and we still have our errand boy. McD has evolved... he was handed the best team on paper that the league has ever seen and then he lays a fricken egg in the biggest game of his life... and now Brady goes down on one more max protect deep drop bomb play. Hind sight is 20/20 but you gotta see some of this coming if it's your job to run this offense.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Last time I checked Bill Belicheck was the head coach btu I guess you think it would be against the rules to blast him for not calling a good game in the super bowl, what do you guys think the OC gets to make teh call on every play? Bill Belicheck is very much in control of this team and has final say on all plays called on both sides of the ball so again you trying to make McDanials out to be the scapegoat is a cop out big time. If you want to go after teh coaching in those games then you better be prepared to talk about Belicheck because as much as you want to try and ignore the fact that he is the one who is in charge it wont go away. Belicheck is just as much to blame as McDanials no scratch that he has more blame on him because hei sthe head coach. Blaming the OC is a cop out and it just makes you look like your afraid to bad mouth Belicheck. Belicheck would be the first person to place blame on himself for those lost games and thats because he is the head coach so the blame falls on him no McDanials.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

Cassel is not better than Brady except that he can run with the ball and is more like a young Steve Grogan than Brady, but the fact that he will force McDitziels to rethink this offensive strategy will be better for the team in the long run.

The bit about rethinking the game plan is probably true. It certainly did appear as though the plans were not working as well, toward the end of last year. In fact, they did not work in that last game versus the Giants! Perhaps, McDaniels will find some better answers working this way?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

[Quote]Cassel is not better than Brady except that he can run with the ball and is more like a young Steve Grogan than Brady, but the fact that he will force McDitziels to rethink this offensive strategy will be better for the team in the long run.

The bit about rethinking the game plan is probably true. It certainly did appear as though the plans were not working as well, toward the end of last year. In fact, they did not work in that last game versus the Giants! Perhaps, McDaniels will find some better answers working this way?
    [/Quote]

Absolutely... I'm looking for McD to really be creative with the offense and put in plays that take advantage of Cassel's running ability as well as plays that get the ball out quick to make his job easier.

Sections
Shortcuts