1. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

Clay is going to get rocked tonight

Hate to agree with a troll, but I'm feeling the same way.� He's got great potential (and I felt that way even before I got to see his no-hitter in person last Sep. 1), but he was off his game in Spring Training.� Looked awful in that exhibition start in LA (according to a highly knowledgable friend) and was missing his spots rather too often in Toronto.� The Yankees are the last team a pitcher wants to face when not on top of his game.

I'm rooting for Clay to come through, of course, but not really expecting it tonight.� YMMV.

P.S. I'll be here after the game.� Or tomorrow morning if it runs late.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxforlife. Show redsoxforlife's posts

he is the #5 starter up against the YANKEES.
    and really he is a #6, but ever since the whole Schill Incident, he's been promoted up to #5.

so, he's up against the Yankees #1 guy.

NOt really fair for the kid. And he has been shaky lately.
    But he has good stuff, he's just gotta get some of that Papelbon/Beckett confidence behind.
    He's still wet behind the ears.

It'll dry soon, he'll come around, and fill the void until either Bartolo gets promoted (and healthy!) or Schill is back at the end of the season. (barring any unforseen trades).

GO SOX!
    GO BUCKY!
    you can dooo it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

really he is a #6, but ever since the whole Schill Incident, he's been promoted up to #5.

I've been predicting that he'll finish the season with the third best ERA on the team.� But I don't care if you want to call him the #5 or #6, if that takes some of the pressure off.� He's got a beauty of a changeup, a big-breaking curveball that freezes hitters, and enough of a fastball to keep guys honest.� It's simply a matter of hitting his spots.

Hard to tell from the first inning.� That curve to Cano was belt-high, yet with such an incredible looping break that I'm not surprised he had trouble pulling the trigger.� But the fastball to Abreu deserved to be hammered -- caught way too much of the plate.

He's still wet behind the ears.

Yup.� That's basically what I've been saying.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

Love that curve!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

Asians pitchers cannot handle MLB hitters.

Huh???

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from detourjazz. Show detourjazz's posts

DUDE! we have 1 starter. .one reliever. . of asian persuasion on our team right. . now . . plus the new signee. . whatcha smokin?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

Maybe he didn't realize Japan is part of Asia?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mdeitrich. Show mdeitrich's posts

Clay didn't look awful at all for most of his start in Los Angeles. I was sitting behind the plate for the game. His stuff was moving a lot in the first few innings and he had them baffled. Then they got a few lucky break hits and he fell apart and missed his locations. Most of the hits off him were nothing spectacular, they just found the right spot to drop in. If anything I was wondering about his velocity. He was only hitting 90-91 at best and I thought I remembered him throwing a few mph more than that.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

Well, that was a great prediciton.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

His fastball is very pedestrian.� If he leaves it over the plate, it will get hit hard.� But he takes roughly 15 mph off it to throw the perfect changeup (92 vs. 77), a "swing and miss" pitch that he can use effectively on any count.� Also a curveball, at the same speed as his changeup but with a break that is about a foot deeper.

He definitely needs to hit his spots to be effective, but that is true of all pitchers.� Beckett '06?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

WE GOT A WINNER!!!!

Your response was predicted hours ago. :-)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxforlife. Show redsoxforlife's posts

just wasn't time for Timlin to pitch.guess the subject was correct, only the pitcher was incorrect.�TIMLIN GOT ROCKED TONIGHT>��thanks to the bullpen. we're down again.�

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxman16. Show soxman16's posts

Your asian comment was as dumb as I have heard. Not that I am asian but do you have something against asians?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Asians pitchers cannot handle MLB hitters.

I guess Sunday is not looking too good for you then.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

Hey Joe,�didn't you mean to say Buchholz's fastball�is "very pedestrian"?�

That was my word.� :-)� Maybe I overstated that a bit, but it IS his third best pitch.� Somebody ought to show Joe video of that first-inning curve to Cano.� Or the one in the sixth that froze him.� Or any of the many in between.

Did you catch any of Santana's start today?� I think Buchholz was throwing a bit harder than that, working in the 92-93 range for most of the game.� Santana is down around 90.� Doesn't matter, as long as you hit your spots.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

I didn't catch Santana' s start, but I did see that he gave up three homers and lost 5-3.

Buchholz's fastball isn't his best pitch, but if he doesn't have it, or if it's just "pedestrian," his changeup and curve won't be half as effective. He has good control, and can dail it up to the mid-90s when he has to. That makes it more than good enough.

Bottom line, the kid is a damn good pitcher. He's still young and unseasoned, and he'll have his days when he can't get the ball to do what he wants, and fans are going to have to be patient with him, but that comes with watching a kid grow and mature. Fans of recent vintage aren't used to this, but if the Sox keep their farm system humming, and we see guys like Masternson and Bowden working their way up, hopefully they WILL get used to it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

He has good control, and can dail it up to the mid-90s when he has to. That makes it more than good enough.

True, so true.� Each pitch supports the other.

I was looking at it in reverse.� Without an exceptional curve and changeup, his fastball wouldn't get many outs.� It is the package that is special.

Sections
Shortcuts