1. You have chosen to ignore posts from longview1967. Show longview1967's posts

Coco for JD?

I'm not at all surprised that JD was starting tonight, despite the lack of recent playing time and the dismal slump he was in before he got injured. That's pretty much Francona's MO, go with the vets and give them their due, especially given Drew's play in the postseason last year. But I'm hopeful, if JD doesn't get productive soon (and if he does, great), that Tito will consider using Coco in center and Ellsbury in left. Because Coco was unreal in September, and I'm a big fan of looking at relatively recent stats rather than the overall season, at least until the trend stops. Add to that Coco's range and speed, and combined with Jake (maybe slotting Coco near the bottom of the order) and I see a tremendous upside to what the media is playing as the great "concern" about whether JD can play. (They've been lumping JD's situation with Lowell's and Beckett's.) Any thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MarcoIslandFla. Show MarcoIslandFla's posts

Coco for JD?

What will bench JD is the pain that he is in. He does bring more potential power to the lineup but it looks like the pain is affecting his swing. Coco has been great for the last two months and would be a fine replacement. It was very smart for the Sox to not trade Coco as he has been invaluable this year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from longview1967. Show longview1967's posts

Coco for JD?

I saw those shots of JD on the bench, wincing and all. Pain can really sap a players concentration and overall energy. And his swing is off, and with that swing, it's hard to make adjustments.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

Coco for JD?

When you consider how hot Coco was down the stretch, and the obvious boost to our defense Coco gives with Drew hobbled, I think I'd also play Crisp. Giving up some possible power for guaranteed defense makes sense to me. If Drew were healthy I'd want him for sure. But he looked gimpy last night...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BLRob. Show BLRob's posts

Coco for JD?

It hasn't been talked about much, but Coco isn't 100% healthy either... he's nursing an injured toe... not as scary as Drew's back or Lowell's hip, but it may be part of Tito's decision making process.

I'm a huge fan of Coco and want to see it get some playing time, but starting the game with the bigger bat (Drew) makes sense - unless he's hurting.

I expected Coco to come in for defensive purposes once the Sox took the lead last night, but he didn't, making me wonder if Tito wanted one more at-bat from Drew in a close game and/or if Coco is hurting more than we've heard...

The Bottom Line Blog

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

Coco for JD?

[Quote]It hasn't been talked about much, but Coco isn't 100% healthy either... he's nursing an injured toe... not as scary as Drew's back or Lowell's hip, but it may be part of Tito's decision making process.

I'm a huge fan of Coco and want to see it get some playing time, but starting the game with the bigger bat (Drew) makes sense - unless he's hurting.

I expected Coco to come in for defensive purposes once the Sox took the lead last night, but he didn't, making me wonder if Tito wanted one more at-bat from Drew in a close game and/or if Coco is hurting more than we've heard...

The Bottom Line Blog[/Quote]

I wasn't aware of Crisp's toe issue BLRob. Thanks for the tip and your assessment makes sense.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BLRob. Show BLRob's posts

Coco for JD?

That's why they pay me the big bucks Teakus... not really. :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

Coco for JD?

I like starting Coco over Drew, especially batting 9th as another possible man on base for the top of the order, and having Drew as your power left handed pinch hitter off the bench, but I hate that it would move Ells out of center... Coco would have never made that catch last night !!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

Coco for JD?

I'd expect Coco vs Saunders.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreamer007. Show dreamer007's posts

Coco for JD?

i thought coco had a problem with the ball of his foot
    does he also have a toe injury?

when he is called upon, i am sure he will suck it up, even if
    he is only about 75%

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Coco for JD?

It wouldn't bug me either way to see Coco or JD in the lineup for game 2. I think vs. the lefty you go w/ Coco in game 3 tho.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Coco for JD?

Coco would have never made that catch last night !!

There was a play earlier in the game, maybe the 1st, where Teixeira hit a soft liner to right center, and Ellsbury got it on one hop. It didn't cost us, but I beleive Crisp would've caught it.

On topic, it doesn't matter to me. I think Crisp and Ellsbury are every bit as effective as Ellsbury and Drew. My guess is Daffy is right and it is a L/R thing, and that Crisp plays against Saunders. It's also possible that Tito sees Crisp as a better bench player since he can pinchrun if Tek gets on late in the game. This four-headed OF gives us a lot of flexibility since all four are above-average players.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Coco for JD?

Very true Joe very true. Luckily Teixiera's 1st hit was meaningless and Ellsbury's great catch prob kept the game from being tied.

So Ells saved the 1 run differential in the 8th, than created both insurance runs (RBI and scored) in the 9th. He was easily the 3rd most important player in the game.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from longview1967. Show longview1967's posts

Coco for JD?

I remember now that Tito wanted to rest Coco because he was banged up with the toe, but I didn't get the sense then that it was as serious as Drew's back. Of course, who knows? But I think Francona would have started Drew regardless, if the guy could at least swing the bat. Agree or not, Tito is a "dance with the guy that brung you" manager. From what I hear about the injury and see in Drew's swing, I'd be surprised if he gets used to PH. Because as someone noted above, it's not only the back, it's the rust. Tough to ask a guy to come off the bench and pinch hit in that condition when he's been sitting the whole game. And Softie, did you realize that Jake batted .350 in September. That kind of average will do wonders for one's OBP. And no, he ain't gonna be hitting that from now on. But the kid is locked in right now. And a good thing, too. (That is, he ain't gonna be hitting that for the rest of his career. For the rest of the playoffs, who knows? The kid sure don't play like a rookie in the postseason.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

Coco for JD?

I was shocked to see JD starting. Finn put a Sox statistic up yesterday that was boggling! The Sox are around .500 with Drew starting; running about a 65% winning clip with Coco. Now, what's more important in the post-season?

I like JD, but he's been out for a while and his health concerns are an issue. Coco has been solid for the Sox. It's a great defense with him and Ells; a great base-running combo.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

Coco for JD?

[Quote]I remember now that Tito wanted to rest Coco because he was banged up with the toe, but I didn't get the sense then that it was as serious as Drew's back.[/Quote]

A lingering Coco toe? Yikes!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from longview1967. Show longview1967's posts

Coco for JD?

Sol, I guess he got productive! It was like night and day difference in his swing, and he had great jumps off the ball. Which just goes to show, Tito knows his guys. Better than I do, that's for sure.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Coco for JD?

Tito is coming up big again and Scioscia goes to bed with nightmares again. He is now 0-8 against Tito in the postseason.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Coco for JD?

It's a great night for Epstein too. Jason Bay, J D Drew, Lester, Papelbon, Ellsbury. Pedroia, Youkilis...maybe I'm including some that should be credited to others...who cares.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from longview1967. Show longview1967's posts

Coco for JD?

Watch out, Softie, your anti-Jake obsession is fighting with your pro-Tito obsession. Doesn't your post amount to a criticism of Francona? I noticed the passive voice there, but the subject is "Francona." And to think you're criticizing Tito for not ordering a BUNT!!!! Man, you're just like all those other buntaholics.

And Goldenguy, plenty of Dems believe in God, which is a good thing because when we hit the Trifecta (Celtics-Red Sox-Obama), we will know that truly this nation is blessed, rather than seeing it as a sign of the coming Apocalypse.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mammanaus. Show mammanaus's posts

Coco for JD?

coco on the bench is going to be huge for the late game run they need that they have stuggled to get all season. drew of course proved tonight once again that he deserved his all-star mvp. go sox

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mammanaus. Show mammanaus's posts

Coco for JD?

[Quote]I'd expect Coco vs Saunders.[/Quote]

not gonna happen.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Coco for JD?

[Quote]

Terry's not as smart as Softlaw, but he's an outstanding Manager because he knows his players and he knows how to get them to play with confidence and together. Yet, fools on this board call him names that only a juvenile delinquent could come up with.

Where the heck is Ram? Where the heck is Ram? Hiding I'll bet.

[/Quote]

Ram was watching the game at a bar w/ his teammates from his fast pitch twilight league. I don't need to spend all my nights arguing w/ a delusional and negative fake fan twice my age. Do you really just say you were smarter than Terry (can't even laugh at that, how insecure are you?)

Here is some more hilarious BS..

Both Youk and Paps were way more imprtant than Jake, in the pecking order behind Lester and Bay.

Way more important? Papi went 1-5 and his RBI was getting Ellsbury home. No chance that flies. Youk went 1-4 w/ a walk. He scored tying run on the walk and Bay HR. He prob saved the game tfrom being tied w/ a throw right after Ells made an equally important catch. Youk did have 2 less hits, 3 less appearances on base than Ells. He scored the same # of runs. Had 0 RBI to Ells 1 and Ells added two steals for good measure.

No Softy the most important guys in game 1 were Lester then Bay then Ellsbury then Youk then after that Paps/Papi/Masterson in some order.

Sections
Shortcuts