1. You have chosen to ignore posts from stanpapi1. Show stanpapi1's posts

Coco traded to KC

for RP Ramon Ramirez -- XM MLB Home Plate

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hyperRevue. Show hyperRevue's posts

Coco traded to KC

Interesting.

71 Games, 71.2 innings, 2.64 ERA, 1.23 WHIP, 70K

Doesn't thrill me.

I wonder if that means Masterson will be starting.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PSFever. Show PSFever's posts

Coco traded to KC

Quite a surprise, I was hoping Coco was worth a bit more but bring on Baldelli.

I trust Theo!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from leeang143. Show leeang143's posts

Coco traded to KC

mlbtraderumors.com also confirmed the trade has been completed. Ramirez posted a 2.61 era last year and is under team controll until 2012

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from stanpapi1. Show stanpapi1's posts

Coco traded to KC

KC certainly improves tremedously ... Ramirez certainly shut down righties last year (.153 avg .244 OBP .212 SLG) ... I trust Theo sees something good in this guy...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hyperRevue. Show hyperRevue's posts

Coco traded to KC

I do like that it clears some more payroll, though.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hyperRevue. Show hyperRevue's posts

Coco traded to KC

I'll second PSFever.

I don't know much about Ramirez, so I'll have to withhold judgment (his numbers against righties are nice, though). But a starting CF for just a relief pitcher doesn't seem like a totally even trade.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SleeStack1. Show SleeStack1's posts

Coco traded to KC

Coco was pretty cheap overall.

I'm sure he'll be happy to be a full-time starter, but wonder how excited he will be to do that in KC.

I suppose in one of the most underachieving markets in baseball, he could put up impressive numbers.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from stanpapi1. Show stanpapi1's posts

Coco traded to KC

Ramirez is a converted OF who as some of you remember was a Yankee prospect... He was the key trading chip when the Yanks acquired Chacon. Last spring, the Red Sox were rumored to be interested in getting Ramirez before KC got him from the Rockies ...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from stanpapi1. Show stanpapi1's posts

Coco traded to KC

[Quote]Hello Baldelli...welcome home! Its gotta be him!

..[/Quote]

If not Baldelli ... IMO I think we try to resign Kotsay

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roast1999. Show Roast1999's posts

Coco traded to KC

It'll be interesting to see who they bring in for the OF... Not sure, but I think I like this move

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from OscarGamble. Show OscarGamble's posts

Coco traded to KC

Baldelli makes a ton of sense right now, being that he's versatile and CAN'T play everyday; perfect for Red Sox OF/fill-in DH duties.
    I guess Theo learned a quality lesson about patience with the Crisp situation; look what he got by hanging onto him in '08 as opposed to those 60-cents on the dollar offers they turned down for him last offseason. Setup guys, especially young and inexpensive ones, are at a premium, needless to say.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxpeat. Show soxpeat's posts

Coco traded to KC

Ramirez's stats are impressive and I think he is a fine replacement/upgrade to Timlin. Coco will do a lot better in that environment.

I'm wondering if Ramirez is going to be packaged with maybe Bowden to get Saltalamacchia. I know the Sox don't want to give up Buchholz to get him, so maybe Bowden/Ramirez gets it done.

I like the idea of Ramirez, who is controlled for the next four years, in our bullpen. I also like the strikeout rate.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Coco traded to KC

I am impressed that Boston got that much in return for Coco Crisp and the minimum $6.25 million owed on his contract.

I am surprised that Kansas City was willing to take on that much contract when the Royals have a similar but better and cheaper option in David DeJesus. Perhaps the Royals plan to move DeJesus.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxpeat. Show soxpeat's posts

Coco traded to KC

The highly touted Hughes plus others for Coco? I hope it happens because someday soon, Hughes will be good.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stupideeediot. Show Stupideeediot's posts

Coco traded to KC

they had a major league position player who's great on defense and ok on offense at a relatively cheap price and they got a relief pitcher with one great season who wasn't even good in the minors really and is already 27.

I woulda thought with their farm system that they'd bundle Coco in a package of young players to get a 'real' player.

To reiterate... I am NEVER in support of acquiring random relievers in trades that lose you a position player or a top prospect. It's jsut a waste to acquire a player that really can't have a huge impact on the team in his 60-70 innings.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lquintin. Show lquintin's posts

Coco traded to KC

Just think we gave up Catcher Kelly Shopach and the third baseman we got from the Braves Marte for Coco.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmm21. Show gmm21's posts

Coco traded to KC

I liked Coco, he showed allot of heart in 2008 - best of luck to Coco and thanks for all he did a RS uniform - I hope he excels in KC.

In terms of this guy named Ramirez, hope there is no relation to Manny and welcome aboard - I trust Theo on this one.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from buttaplaydtoast. Show buttaplaydtoast's posts

Coco traded to KC

this is a good trade, ramirez is a legit back of the bullpen arm. what did you guys think coco was actually going to get you? his value all along has been mentioned someone who could net us a bullpen arm. and we have this guy under control for 3 years. this is an incredibly good deal for the sox.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roast1999. Show Roast1999's posts

Coco traded to KC

Jason, you also have to keep in mind... Do you think Coco would go a second year in a row not starting all the time? I doubt it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JacqueStrappe. Show JacqueStrappe's posts

Coco traded to KC

[Quote]KC certainly improves tremedously ... Ramirez certainly shut down righties last year (.153 avg .244 OBP .212 SLG) ... I trust Theo sees something good in this guy...[/Quote]

Not to mention Ramirez allowed just 2 HR in 71 2/3 IP. Sounds as if Theo has intentions of possibly moving Masterson into the rotation. What a clever move this would be if Masterson flourishes the Sox could avoid a gamble on AJ Burnett or the "Zito-Like contract" Boras is rumored to be seeking for Derek Lowe, who posted an ERA of 5.42 his last season in the AL. Worst case scenario, Ramirez struggles, Masterson goes back to the bullpen and Buchholz or Bowden is ready to contribute mid-season. If this is not Theo's intention and he plans to keep Ramirez and Masterson in the 'pen, the Red Sox have the deepest 'pen in MLB. Darn.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from OscarGamble. Show OscarGamble's posts

Coco traded to KC

Jeez, thanks eeediot. Apparently, 27 is the new 37; just way too old.

And yes, the Phillies are still ticked about having to take random reliever Brad Lidge in exchange for top prospect & positional player Michael Bourne, who hit .229 w/ a .300 OBP for Houston this season. You sure know your baseball.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from goznes. Show goznes's posts

Coco traded to KC

Put Masterson back in the rotation. There is plenty of time now to make the transition back to where he was.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Coco traded to KC

In his rookie season, 2006 with the Rockies, Ramon "NOT MANNY" Ramirez set a Rockies record(WOW) by compiling the longest scorless innings to start a career - 15 1/3. Not bad. It was broken up by Garciaparra - Not good.

The Ramons had 21 HOLDS last season, which is impressive.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Coco traded to KC

buttaplaydtoast,

Not sure this is an "incredibly good deal," but I also won't go as far as stupideediot and say that we could have gotten a whole lot more. To me, this is a trade that is good for Coco, good for KC and good for the Sox. The Sox have opened up options on their pitching staff and opened up the starting position for Ellsbury.

But, though I think Baldelli may yet come to Boston, I don't see Baldelli as the 4th OF. That would be a mistake. Coco and Ellsbury both had to play a lot of games back to back and side by side when JD Drew was hurt. Baldelli cannot play multiple games in a row. I do not think Baldelli is enough player to take up Coco's role on the team. Baldelli would take Casey's spot, in my mind. And no, I don't want Kotsay to return. As good as he was with the glove at 1b, he was terrible at bat, and wants a full-time job on top of that. I'd rather see Bobby Kielty return!