1. You have chosen to ignore posts from smiley-beni-2817. Show smiley-beni-2817's posts

Common Sense Say: Why Bother With Wakefield

Tim Wakefield has been struggling
    even before Barack Obama was the
    official candidate of the Democratic
    party, and he continue to struggle
    badly in these meaningless games.
    Maybe his low back is still bothering
    him or maybe he is too old. But why
    we have to keep pushing this matter?
    We have the best franchise in
    baseball. We have a lot of weapons,
    so this tryout is completely unnecessary.
    Don´t get me wrong, I love Wakefield,
    but I understand that he is not longer
    reliable. But in any event I wish
    Wake all the best, he is a great
    human being.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam-west. Show adam-west's posts

Thanks for the memories Timmy Wake

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from smiley-beni-2817. Show smiley-beni-2817's posts

Presuming Bucholz continues to do well in the preseason, and Smoltz/Penny progress, I would tell Wakefield his role is long relief. He will not like it. but the fact is he's blocking the development of younger players with more long term upside. If he is willing to accept the role, he makes the team.
    ................................................................................................

but the fact is he's blocking the development of younger players with more long term upside.

Hey encinitas, good point as usual.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Calmy. Show Calmy's posts

I agree. With Clay, Smoltz, Penny I think this is year where Wake may need to officially become a safety net. If Clay reverts to his 08 form than Wake is an option but the reality is Clay is going to have some bad stretches and faliing back on Wake when that happens does hurt Bucholz. If Penny struggles early, Smoltz can't get healthy, Wake is a great option. There is no such thing as too much starting pitching, just ask Willy Mo Pena.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from OKRedSoxFan. Show OKRedSoxFan's posts

With all the pitching that the BoSox have, keeping Wakefield in the rotation makes no sense what so ever. He should be in the bull pen and used sparingly. Why is that decision so hard for Tito and management! Surely they can see his effectiveness is marginal at best.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from smiley-beni-2817. Show smiley-beni-2817's posts

Common sense and any of your posts is like black and white first off.

Funny how u write off Wake so darn fast every time he pitches,

he is still a bargain for a bottom end sp

nd SP.and had the numbers to back that up...

surely someone with your "supposed" intelligence can dig up those numbers right, Smiley Troll?

Sure, sure he´s still a bargain for a bottom
    end sp, but we´re not quite sure if
    we're going to capitalize on this mega
    bargain. Don´t run to the bank yet.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brampton. Show Brampton's posts

Now that Wakefield is toast, it is no longer a requirement for the backup catcher to be able to catch the knuckleball. Regardless, by the end of the season, Bard and Kottaras should be the catchers.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

The trouble with Wake as a reliever is that it pulls Tek out from behind the plate and when it gets to the 8th and 9th I'd rather have Tek calling the game. Still if the weather is right and he's on watching batters trying to hit him is like watching a bugs bunny cartoon.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rizzuto1965. Show Rizzuto1965's posts

People have been writing off Tim Wakefield since his Pittsburgh days, yet he makes it impossible to cut him, year after year. He can start and relieve, and he is an innings eater. Despite his record last year, he made 30 starts and was below the league ERA. Lastly, he's got the longest tenure of any member of the Red Sox.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkindc. Show dkindc's posts

Seemed like last year Wake could be unhittable some games and awful in some (fewer) games. This year Tito can use a quick hook with all the pitching he has to play with. Maybe Wake will have better numbers than ever.

But the point is well taken - how do you not pitch Clay if he does well, or Smoltz when he is ready, or Penny if he gets it together like two years ago.

Where to pitch Wakefield is a nice problem to have.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PSFever. Show PSFever's posts

Keeping a pitcher like Wake in the starting rotation usually works out fine, as long as we don't keep using him in the PS. Both Wake and Tek are only here now because of their years of service and price tag. Both have helped us in the past those days are pretty much gone. Theo at some point needs to address these areas for the teams sake. We have a lot of good young arms who will deserve a chance to compete for a starters role.

I agree with keeping guys like this around for their veteran leadership but not as starters, especially when we have the resources to improve at both positions.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from longview1967. Show longview1967's posts

Many, better posters than me have laid out the irrefutable statistics on Wake's strong performance last year and overall, including number of quality starts (an underrated stat), etc. On the other hand, if there is a young guy who comes on strong, I think Wake will go to long relief, or relief starting innings, and do just fine, as he has in the past. Encinitas, do you have any evidence that Wake would be opposed to moving to the pen? Isn't he the guy who signs one-year undervalued contracts with the Sox every year? Isn't he the guy who sacrificed his start by eating some innings in relief in the ACLS in 2004? And on and on. He's a grunt's grunt. And he signs those one-year deals because he knows when it's his time to go, all the Sox have to do is say so long.

And I'd add this: let's see how the young guys do when the get to the regular season and the bigs. Doesn't always work out so well. The great thing about having Wake is that the Sox can bring the young guys up slowly, in the best spots for them, and Wake can move aside when its time without drama. And if they don't make it, we've still got Wake.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I don't usually use words like this, but ... anyone who tries to translate spring training results into regular season performance is a moron, especially when you're talking about veterans. Wakefield may indeed be done. But he doesn't have to impress in the spring like a rookie. For a veteran like Wakefield, the spring is about getting the work in, building up strength and for Wakefield and the knuckleball, getting the mechanics down. That's it -- period. And that is how Francona looks at it.

Until he got injured late last year, he was more effect last season than in the previous two seasons. He had a 4.13 ERA as the No. 4 starter. Every team in baseball would take that in a heartbeat. He was 10-11 but with run support, could have been a 15-game winner. And that ERA was even lower before he got hurt.

He's not holding anyone back. He's allowing management to not rush the young pitchers. As it was, Buchholz wasn't ready last year. Maybe he is now. We don't know if Penny is going to be useful and Smoltz isn't going to be ready until June. It might be that Penny isn't ready, and Buchholz needs to be No. 5.

Wakefield shouldn't even be an issue (and he really isn't from the Sox standpoint). He goes into the season as the No. 4 starter. If it turns out he's struggles every time out, and both Penny and Buchholz are ready, you make the switch.

With the way pitching is, you don't even think of getting rid of a guy like Wakefield until you're absolutely sure he has nothing left. This might be it for him. Then again, I wouldn't be surprised to see him pitch three or four more years.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from smiley-beni-2817. Show smiley-beni-2817's posts

[Quote]
    People have been writing off Tim Wakefield since his Pittsburgh days, yet he makes it impossible to cut him, year after year. He can start and relieve, and he is an innings eater. Despite his record last year, he made 30 starts and was below the league ERA. Lastly, he's got the longest tenure of any member of the Red Sox.
    [/Quote] I´m not writing Wake off,
    I´m just saying that he has been
    struggling and that maybe his
    low back is hurting him. And
    remember nothing last forever.
    We can´t talk about World War 11
    all the time.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mudbugger. Show mudbugger's posts

well....you could always trade Wakefield to the Dodgers so he could help joe torre speak "manny-ese".

Seriously though, Wakefield (if you look at his splits) pitched well without run support for most of the season last year, up UNTIL the playoffs when
    his body just broke down.

Cost effectiveness, for $4 million, he is a good bargain.

But if it was my choice for a starting rotation for opening day, and looking at st performances it would be:

Beckett
    Lester
    Dice-K
    Buchholtz
    Wakefield (until Penny is ready).

You could even agree with an arguement of having Materson start in the 5th position and put Bard in the bullpen right out of st.

Then Wakefield goes into the bullpen. The presumably, in late May or early June, when Smoltz comes back, he slides into the #4 slot and Buchholtz would fall to the 5th position.

And to sportsbozo....there is no way that the Red Sox will promote Tawaza to the big leagues. Maybe up to Pawtuckett, but not Boston.
    But great points...the bullpen is STOKED. And then you have Bard, Hunter Jones, Hagedone, Bowden waiting in the wings (who are all capable 6th, 7th inning type relief pitchers).

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from smiley-beni-2817. Show smiley-beni-2817's posts

Wake: He is this year what he is every year. Great when his knuckler works, atrocious when it does not. In the Friday game against the Yanks it looked like he was pitching batting practice. He was hit hard and often by second tier players. Next time out he might be great. Maybe not. But with the pitching lineup we now have there is simply no place for him. Why use a pitcher who might give you a decent outing for several innings but is EQUALLY as likely to give up 5 runs in 2? Wake can still play for a team desperarte for pitching. Not here.

100% Right!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brampton. Show Brampton's posts

Wakefield and Tek are too old to cut the mustard anymore.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from longview1967. Show longview1967's posts

[Quote][Quote] [/Quote] And
    remember nothing last forever.
    We can´t talk about World War 11
    all the time.
    [/Quote]

Don't rush things, Smiley. We have to get past WW 3 first. Also, Spring Training.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PSFever. Show PSFever's posts

[Quote]Wake: He is this year what he is every year. Great when his knuckler works, atrocious when it does not. In the Friday game against the Yanks it looked like he was pitching batting practice. He was hit hard and often by second tier players. Next time out he might be great. Maybe not. But with the pitching lineup we now have there is simply no place for him. Why use a pitcher who might give you a decent outing for several innings but is EQUALLY as likely to give up 5 runs in 2? Wake can still play for a team desperarte for pitching. Not here.

Wake has been a good fifth starter for years but we can do better. With guys like Buchholz who Theo's refuses to trade for God, along with youngsters like Masterson, Tazawa and Bard it makes little sense to keep a 500 pitcher who needs his own catcher. This roster spot should be taken by a good young catcher that can take over for Tek.

Wake and Tek at this point of their career could easily be replaced with guys that could be much more productive to our team.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Does anyone have Wake's 2008 ERA against division opponents? I'm curious to know what it was since those clubs get to see a lot more of him.

Sections
Shortcuts