1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dabro. Show Dabro's posts

Congratulations to an Outstanding GM, Theo Epstein

Great deal all around, very fair. Just a good transition piece to have in place. Jason gets to proudly complete his career in a Sox uniform. Next steps include:
    1) Signing Jason Bay to an extension (no rush on this)
    2) Finding our catcher of the future (very, very key as Varitek is only there to transition
    3) Be ready to secure a big bat mid season if the offense sustains injuries or is anemic.

None of these things need to be done now, though certainly the work continues. Gear up and get ready for spring training!

By the way -- I'll take 2 years at 10 Million over 4 years at 52 million any day! Congrats to Theo for not flinching!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

I second that. Nice job Theo.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

With high OBA guys still out there in Abreu and Dunn, I'd like to see the Red Sox sign one of them as insurance for Ellsbury/Drew/Lowell/Ortiz. Spring training is less than 3 weeks away. Whichever teams sign these guys are going to get a great bargain. Might as well be the Red Sox.

I know the Red Sox have Baldelli and Kotsay available as depth, but I'd rather not rely on them as starters. Abreu or Dunn could get 400 at-bats on this team, allowing the Red Sox to use Baldelli as a pinch-hitter for Ellsbury, Varitek and Lowrie/Lugo.

If, for whatever reason, everyone stays healthy and performs up to par, then the Red Sox could trade Dunn/Abreu for a prospect or two. I just think the Red Sox are better off getting the insurance now, as opposed to later when it would cost players.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dabro. Show Dabro's posts

Thanks Devil David. We are now exactly where we need to be going into camp -- very deep rotation, very deep pen, enhanced bench, solid all around position players. Like every team we have weaknesses, but nothing that cant be corrected mid year. Throughout it all Sox will be operating from a position of strength -- financially and baseball-wise. We have an outstanding management team.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

Great FA signing. Varitek is definitely the impact player the RS needed.
    I think he'll be a good fit with the Sox. Good for Theo!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Congrats Sox fans, maybe it wasn't as close as it appeared(maybe?)...both sides get it done...Tek, it's all downhill from here.....J/K, i do think he needs a serious rebound offensively though...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxncycles. Show soxncycles's posts

[Quote]

*laughing*

Totally agree, especially after the 'upgrade' from Manny's 1st ballot HOF slugging power that led the Sox to TWO world titles with all around swell guy Jason Bay!

That'll solidify the tie for 4th place in the AL East this season!

Yeah b-b-but the Sox are in great shape financially! As if John Henry is going to stand on top of the press box with a giant box of 100 dollar bills and pour them out onto the street to help Sox fans with their finances.

Why all of a sudden is John Henry having a balanced check book more important than the Red Sox winning a world title?

Poor Theo Chicks, when will they become BASEBALL fans instead of Theo fans?[/Quote]

If Manny is so awesome, why did Varitek get a contract before Manny did?

Answer; Because the entire baseball world knows what a loser Manny is.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roast1999. Show Roast1999's posts

The real question is when will Law learn anything about baseball?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from andre10056. Show andre10056's posts

I guess Boras delivered a bit less than 4 years, $52 million.

I like the steps that were taken. Let Varitek see what he can get on the open market. As an aside, Greg Zaun got $1.5 million from the Orioles.

Bring in Bard so that Boras would have very little leverage.

Now they can go after Tagarden or Saltalamacchia (assuming they're still available as I haven't been following that too closely) with Texas having ZIP in the way of leverage. Texas DESPERATELY need pitchers. The Red Sox can take or leave anybody's catchers.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

Glad to see that Varitek is back. Did it really have to play out like this? I thought that he was gone and couldn't see the plan B in all of this drama. But in the end, he was treated fairly and the Sox can proceed cautiously with unearthing his replacement.

And I see that some posters who were critical of the Sox for not signing Varitek are now critical of the Sox for signing him. Not surprised to see how some people around here like to argue both sides of an issue to say they were right. Too funny, and how predictable. Don't fall for the trap and get into a pissing contest with your replies.

I would say that Boras took a hit on this one. Ain't gonna hurt his wallet as much as his pride.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sday4x45. Show sday4x45's posts

law2005r 6340282123657485309
    Comments: 231

1/30/2009 3:06:10 PM

Great FA signing. Varitek is definitely the impact player the RS needed.
    I think he'll be a good fit with the Sox. Good for Theo!
    from harv53 in Post #7228270091404162621

*laughing*

Totally agree, especially after the 'upgrade' from Manny's 1st ballot HOF slugging power that led the Sox to TWO world titles with all around swell guy Jason Bay!

That'll solidify the tie for 4th place in the AL East this season!

Yeah b-b-but the Sox are in great shape financially! As if John Henry is going to stand on top of the press box with a giant box of 100 dollar bills and pour them out onto the street to help Sox fans with their finances.

Why all of a sudden is John Henry having a balanced check book more important than the Red Sox winning a world title?

Poor Theo Chicks, when will they become BASEBALL fans instead of Theo fans?

You are a complete and utter idiot!!!!!!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dabro. Show Dabro's posts

Sox have two catchers in place who can do a decent job of catching a top of the line pitching staff -- Varitek and Bard -- at minimal cost. Now Theo will work on finding the medium / long term catching solution that will take the Sox comfortably into the post Varitek era. Once again, the best GM in baseball is deliberate, methodical, and working many angles at the same time so that there is always a plan b and even a plan c in place. Its what we call good management.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[Quote]Sox have two catchers in place who can do a decent job of catching a top of the line pitching staff -- Varitek and Bard -- at minimal cost. Now Theo will work on finding the medium / long term catching solution that will take the Sox comfortably into the post Varitek era. Once again, the best GM in baseball is deliberate, methodical, and working many angles at the same time so that there is always a plan b and even a plan c in place. Its what we call good management.[/Quote]

A prime example of unbridled Theo lust.
    Didn't we have this catching combo before and Boy wonder ended up having to panic into a bad trade for Mirabelli.
    Maybe this time Varitek will catch Wake, maybe they hope Wake will be be beat out of the rotation by somebody. Maybe plan b and c will be enacted in early May.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dabro. Show Dabro's posts

Of course, and more icing on the cake for Theo fans: On Larry King tonight Torre acknowledges that, under Epstein's leadership, the Sox became a tremendous force to be reckeoned with. Yes, indeed, Theo has led us out of the wilderness -- and it is a great time to be a Sox fan.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[Quote]

If Manny is so awesome, why did Varitek get a contract before Manny did?

Answer; Because the entire baseball world knows what a loser Manny is.[/Quote]

Yes, he who signs first is best.
    Brilliant!
    Another 11 years and Jason will be getting close to Manny's current playoff RBI record total.
    Why was Boston the only team bidding for Jason? Answer, because the entire baseball world knows he isn't even worth a draft pick.
    Manny will sign soon enough to play opening day.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Theo Epstein did a great job refilling the catcher slot and Scott Boras did a great job securing a contract of at least $8 million for a catcher in decline.

My hat is off to both.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BuschBound. Show BuschBound's posts

Bob Ryan
    Charge Boras with wild pitch
    He's back, but on the terms of the Boston Red Sox. He is not back on the terms of Jason Varitek and he is most certainly not back on the terms of the infamous Scott Boras. (Boston Globe)

OUCH!! This has to sting some waking up to this headline flaw...Welcome to planet Theo dooshbag!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BuzzCal. Show BuzzCal's posts

Theo knows what he is doing and does not cave to pressure form anyone. I am looking forward to a GREAT year from the Red Sox!!! Cashman just throws a lot of money at the problem but Theor actually does some background work to arrive at the right decisions.

http://www.buzzcal.com

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BuzzCal. Show BuzzCal's posts

Theo knows what he is doing and does not cave to pressure from anyone. I am looking forward to a GREAT year from the Red Sox!!! Cashman just throws a lot of money at the problem but Theo actually does some background work to arrive at the right decisions.

http://www.buzzcal.com

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

It's always a good thing when Boras screws up and gets publicly humiliated.

Unfortunately, that will be cold comfort once the season begins and we realize we have LESS offense (dramatically less) than last season.

This team has done nothing to improve in the off-season.

We are literally forced to hope for a series of medical miracles to occur, combined with ALL rookies and youngsters improving - in order to seriously contend. Long shot.

Horrible off season. Terrible.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Didn't we have this catching combo before and Boy wonder ended up having to panic into a bad trade for Mirabelli.

We gave up nothing for Belli and won a WSC after the trade, owing partially to a great season from Wake. It's the very definition of a good trade.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Only if you think Timlin and Tavarez are better pitchers than Ramirez and Saito, and only if you think Smoltz and Penny won't be an improvement of buchholz' 2-9.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dabro. Show Dabro's posts

The dude keeps forgetting when he makes his points that we have won a couple of world series. He is stuck in a 2002 time warp. He still thinks its been 86 years, poor fella.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

[Quote]It's always a good thing when Boras screws up and gets publicly humiliated.

Unfortunately, that will be cold comfort once the season begins and we realize we have LESS offense (dramatically less) than last season.

We are literally forced to hope for a series of medical miracles to occur, combined with ALL rookies and youngsters improving - in order to seriously contend. Long shot.

Horrible off season. Terrible.[/Quote]

Let me get this straight. The injured Sox were one game from the World Series in 2008. They have healthy players coming back. All the team has to do is tweak and add to the depth of an already tough ballclub. They addressed those needs by adding pieces that can interchange easily. Plus, they added to their pitching depth and added more power arms. Do you know anything about Ramon Ramirez? Have you watched him pitch before. He will not have to be a medical miracle. He will just have to get guys out in the 7th and eighth inning along with MDC, Mast, Saito and Oki. The team is loaded in relief. There is always a possibility that someone won't be effective. That is why you have to be loaded at the position. I would like you to name the power arms the Yanks have in relief and get back to me.

You don't HAVE to improve the offense to improve the team. Ellsbury will be a year better and more comfortable in his key role as leadoff hitter. Lowrie, same thing. Baldelli offers flexibility. Beckett is now healthy. Same with Papi and Lowell. Tek is now divorced and signed. All rookies and youngsters SHOULD improve. That's why they are in the league and with the best organization in the game. If you did not expect such improvement, you would sign ALL big name players and trade all young talent. How does that for the Yanks?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dabro. Show Dabro's posts

Jim Davis,
    That is an awesome post. I really appreciate it. It says it much better than I could.