1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac28. Show pinstripezac28's posts

Could the FO cut the propaganda and get our BAT!?

Not really. It's subjective,

come on JB, anyone who

read this board in nov

and beleives everything they read here

like I do

knows the 2 biggest wishes of RSN

were a Bat and a catcher

but I think the #1 prioirty for most of us was a quality #2 to slot into the 4-spot in the rotation.

I'm not buying that

may a suggest you play the

richard nixon silent majority card now ;-)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

Zac

That Nov "bat" was Mark Teixeira. Not a generic bat. I have yet to see one legitimate name other than MT that fits the need. By need, I mean longer-term need. While I would have liked a bat and a catcher of the future, shoring up the pitching is the next best thing that the Sox could do at this point.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DWIGHTRIGHT. Show DWIGHTRIGHT's posts

[Quote]Teakus stepping the game up!

Theo Chicks are in full retreat on this one...have they accused you of being me yet?[/Quote]

hey mister bait,

based on your excessive use of "theo chicks," it proves you have a limited
    imagination. it appears you use what few brain cells you have on deciding what letter to use after law2005.
    the red sox do not need a "big bat:" it's pitching and defense that wins championships and the red sox offense is capable enough right now.

as for anybody being you, they'd have to have an operation to have half their brain removed, maybe more, and also have the low self-esteem to cross-dress in public.

yes, i know i'm a "THEO CHICK."

btw, all-knowing-one, why did the "THEO CHICK" cross the road?

because the road crossed the "THEO CHICK."

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sday4x45. Show sday4x45's posts

why the rush on the bat now?.......why not wait? Pickings are slim......only bat of any calibre is Manny and I don't see that happening. Trade is a possibility but probably better mid year as teams perform or underperform.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac28. Show pinstripezac28's posts

That Nov "bat" was Mark Teixeira. Not a generic bat.

point taken rob

no doubt, his name came up the most,

but many would just say '' a bat '

I have yet to see one legitimate name other than MT that fits the need. By need, I mean longer-term need.

I agree

about that 2nd choice not standing out

but, I'm still not comfortable saying

there was a need for texeria

long or short term, unless

there are concerns about lowell or papi

but I have seen others agree with you

While I would have liked a bat and a catcher of the future, shoring up the pitching is the next best thing that the Sox could do at this point.

agreed, I wasn't questioning that he

made the team better by making it deeper

I was just questioning

the love threads for this winter,

seeing how he hasn't addressed those 2

perceived
    biggest needs

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

[Quote]

For a Theo Chick, I appreciate your coming around and realizing that none of this should have ever been personal. I respect that. This feels a lot like progress.[/Quote]

Not for nothing, but sometimes your tone is what tends to make it personal with a lot of posters here. Sort of like your preemptive "Theo Chick" reply. If it's personal for some people I am not surprised. Your're patting me on the back for trying to be reasoanble and at the same time calling me what you consider a derogatory term? If looking at the whole picture makes me a "Theo Chick" in your opinion, so be it.

I think a lot of the so-called "TC's" around here back up their replies with soild arguments, which to some who cannot appreciate dissenting or at least differing opinions is seen as an attack on them personally. Nothing personal with Teakus, but I just don't see the solid reasoning behind this thread.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

I feel I am repeating myfelf, but of course, I am. At the end of last season, I felt the needs for the Sox in no particular order were a RH bat off the bench, a better bullpen, another back end starter. These concerns have been addressed. Maybe not the way I would have, but still. You want to argue Penny and Smoltz are not the answers, that is fine. I would have preferred Sheets, a bigger gamble cost wise, but more upside than Penny. But I am not unhappy with the moves.

As for the big bat, as has been stated by many, the Sox were 2nd in scoring last year, with Bay and Manny's stats (while he was with the Sox) comparable. Papi was better the 2nd half, Lowell was out. I think the offense will be overall better than last year. The revamped bullpen should preserve more leads than last year. I agree with those who say that going after Teixeira did not signify that the Sox felt they had a NEED for a big bat, but a chance to get Teixeira. As for those who say we could never have gotten him, it was reported (mabye speculated) that $220 million for 10 years would have gotten in done. Far more than I would have been willing to pay, but it COULD have been done.

All that being said, I am anxious for the start of another season, and looking forward to the Sox competing all year long. And if they feel a big bat is needed come June or July, there will be many, many more bats available.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from keepmanny7. Show keepmanny7's posts

[Quote]Kmany7 '' teixeira is the kind of guy you bid for even if you dont already have an open spot, because he is young and a 5 tool player. ''

no doubt that's how many aproach the draft

not sure about signing top dollar FA's

I can't think of theo

ever going that way before

dunn is a 1 tool player and not even close to being worth $14 mill/year, despite how much chicks dig the long ball.

LOL[/Quote]

the red sox dont really approach FA's in that manner, but I think players like teixeira dont come along that often and you have to try to jump on those of you can. they tried to get ARod after 2003, and pushed pretty hard. but he is the only other guy they approached that way. the fact that they didnt think they NEEDED teixeira is evident by the fact that they didnt ofer $190 million for him.

still, i think this is the offense that the FO has wanted there since the new regime took over (even without manny) and that they always planned on making pitching and defense their bread and butter once manny's contract was up.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamaicaPlain67. Show JamaicaPlain67's posts

Fizsh can start a thread of his own?

www.thechristianexchange.org/Enabler%20Cover%20Logo.jpg" alt="" />

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from keepmanny7. Show keepmanny7's posts

[Quote]

Its like buying your 21 year old son a brand new car for picking up his dirty socks and throwing them in the hamper a month later.

[/Quote]

you've offered some pretty non-sensical analogies before, but this is by far the worst.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac28. Show pinstripezac28's posts

You make a great point zac.

no no

please don't do that

I'm not sure if

you agreeing with me is

such a good thing for my standings

with billy 12 and slimey betty

just joking law

it's all good fun

but you have to be careful

sometimes when you go

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

I am sorry Jamaica, I do not understand your point.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz1. Show chazz1's posts

The Sox will probably need a ' Big Bat ' before the trading deadline, for the simple reason that they are not that 'lucky '. We need Papi , Drew and Lowell to come back to form, that's asking for a little too much. I've read that Fielder or Cabrerra may be available due to economic reasons, so that type of move might be needed, depending on the health of the players in question. In any case we can't expect to get too many years out of these guy's, no matter how 09 plays out. If a young power hitter becomes available I wouldn't be surprised if Theo made a move. Lars could be available in 2010 and if and when that happened, we could shuffle things around. That would be a problem I would welcome.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dano50. Show dano50's posts

The Red Sox may need to add a big bat at some point this year. Then again...maybe not. You have inuries every year, but you never know who will get hurt. Even young healthy players get injured. I tend to agree with many, that there may well be a lot of high priced players made available during the season. Some will come cheap...some even just for their bloated salaries, as teams struggle with attendance due to the economy...and just their own economic woes as well. The Red Sox themselves could have financial difficilties as well. I think it's very wise for them to be prudent.

Also consider that after catcher, this team doesn't have many openings right now. You can't simply add talent without subtracting some as well. This is not fantasy baseball...guys have contracts that must still be paid. Cabrerra for example. What would the poster who wants to sign him do with Lugo? Or would he like to dump Lowrie instead? I wouldn't. OC made even more than Lugo last year. Do you think he'd be happy with a pay cut to come back...and if so...how would he feel if he did, starting ahead of Lugo, a guy earning more to be his backup. And then they'd be paying around 16-18M for the SS position.

Everyone should calm down and see how this plays out. The players available later may be more attractive than what's out there now. Meanwhile...this team looks very good...albeit with some question marks...as is. Just let's decide on the only real gaping whole...behind the dish.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

[Quote]Dunn is the final FA candidate who could meet our needs. Hit 40 homers 4 yrs. in a row, has a high OPS, works pitchers to death-draws alot of walks.

That's really neat. Now, is he going to play SS or catcher?
    [/Quote]

I can't help but laugh when I think back to how Joe + others here repeatedly said that the Sox would have no interest in Teixiera this off season. I, on the other hand, being able to think outside the box saw the critical need for a BIG BAT and loved the tools he provided. Sure enough the Sox in fact made their attempt to get him. Was I right about the Sox interest in him, or were they? Joe-was I right or were you? Go ahead...we all know the truth you can admit it.

The fact is that the core of our offense is weaker going into this year than last, and the injury risks are too high to ignore. The Sox need a BIG BAT and that's why I was screaming to get the Teixiera thing done. I pointed out repeatedly that we DON'T GET TO PICK WHO'S AVAIL IN FREE AGENCY. The list is what it is and that's why you don't goof around and blow a chance to nail down who you want. Dunn has problems but also is the only FA player with the big bat we need. When he's off the table there will be nobody left, leaving a trade as our only hope. I was wrong about one thing with Dunn: he's actually hit 40 homers 5 yrs in a row not 4. No Sox player can make that claim. He's also NEVER had a line up like ours to hit in and would cream the ball in Fenway IMO.

Look, Theo+co. have made it clear they don't want to unload our top tiered prospects in trades. So I ask you who repeatedly say things like "the Sox aren't done yet this off season..." if not Dunn through free agency, then whom? I'm at least offering a name...what are you offering other than excuses ?

Lowell is going to miss almost all of spring training due to his hip. Papi is spooky with his wrist+had clicking this off season. Drew is coming off multiple herniated discs. Hello?! How can you not see our need for a stud hitter? The Yanks are NOT LAST YEARS YANKS. Pay attention! The Rays are stronger too. Yet you applaud our staggering into this season weaker than last. Truly amazing to me.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from silversteinsox. Show silversteinsox's posts

DOOM and GLOOM
    The SKY is falling
    All is lost

Teakus-2 536756
    Member Since 7/2/2008
    Comments: 670

POSTED 12/19/2008 2:48:47 PM
    After enjoying a team salary of only 6th or 7th highest last season at $135 million or so, and lopping off at least $30 million so far this season, one would think the Red Sox would have plenty of money to toss around this off season. The Yanks have done exactly as expected, signed two stud starters to dramatically improve their already strong ball club. They also have the luxury of watching how the Teixeira negotiations pan out, having Manny Ramirez waiting in the wings should the Sox land him, or doing nothing if they don't. We don't have the same luxury, of course.

The Red Sox have so far shown more posturing than anything else. We sniffed around after Sabathia+Burnett mostly just to drive their prices up for the Yanks. We did go after Teixiera hard, but why the public outting of Boras' typical exaggerations regarding other bids? Was it designed to kill the negotiations, yet make it look like Boras was the bad faith guy in the proceedings? It's difficult to say but for a club that claims it HATES people talking to the press during negotiations, Henry's email sure seemed to counter that philosophical view.

Henry has lost a literal fortune in his family Hedge fund over the past 3 yrs...huge sums. Could it possibly be the case that his cash flow problems are beginning to effect the team? Most insiders suggest he played a huge part in the decision to send Manny packing last season. Is it possible that the man with previously unlimited patience for Manny's antics, became intolerant suddenly because of money? Is Henry blowing the Red Sox negotions this off season another ploy to save cash? I don't know but I do admit to becomming concerned.

The Red Sox are 1 stud hitter and 1 stud reliever away from being a legit World Series contender this season. The Yankees are NOT done yet...I expect them to nab Manny for a 3 yr $63 million deal soon. The Red Sox cannot go cheap at this critical time. If Teixiera can't be had-then do what it takes to trade for what we need. Sitting back and pretending we can win without strengthening our club, would be a foolish squandering of an opportunity. Our fans deserve and will insist on better from this ownership group. As bad as things may have been recently for John financially, how bad do you think things are going for the typical New Englander whose hard earned dollars supports the Red Sox?

We have the HIGHEST ticket prices in all of baseball. We enjoy HUGE T.V. revenues and advertising dollars. One can easily expect us to have the 2nd or 3rd highest team payroll in baseball. But even allowing for our successful youth movement to drive payroll down, I can see us with the 4th or 5th highest. If the goal is to compete with our significantly improved division rivals in the coming year, standing pat will not be an option. If not Teixiera......then we'll need to find another way to improve the team.

It's reasonable to assume that Ortiz, Lowell, Drew, and Youk will either individually or collectively miss significant parts of the coming season. We don't have the luxury of sitting back and hoping for a perfect season without injury. Not if we are truly committed to winning on 2009.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from keepmanny7. Show keepmanny7's posts

going after mark teixeira when there are no openings for him is very different than going after dunn with no openings. teixeira is a guy that is good enough that you move people around to accomodate him. dunn is not that kind of player. he is a one-tool player.

and why do you think he'd crush the ball in fenway? he's left handed. last i checked, the fence in straight away right field is about 380 feet away. dunn isnt exactly a spray hitter.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from silversteinsox. Show silversteinsox's posts

The doom and gloom comments that Teakus and the Laws make towards the Sox are just as easily thrown at the Yanks. The healthiest team should win the East, and the Sox have the better depth and ability to add parts at the deadline.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

[Quote]DOOM and GLOOM
    The SKY is falling
    All is lost

Teakus-2 536756
    Member Since 7/2/2008
    Comments: 670

POSTED 12/19/2008 2:48:47 PM
    After enjoying a team salary of only 6th or 7th highest last season at $135 million or so, and lopping off at least $30 million so far this season, one would think the Red Sox would have plenty of money to toss around this off season. The Yanks have done exactly as expected, signed two stud starters to dramatically improve their already strong ball club. They also have the luxury of watching how the Teixeira negotiations pan out, having Manny Ramirez waiting in the wings should the Sox land him, or doing nothing if they don't. We don't have the same luxury, of course.

The Red Sox have so far shown more posturing than anything else. We sniffed around after Sabathia+Burnett mostly just to drive their prices up for the Yanks. We did go after Teixiera hard, but why the public outting of Boras' typical exaggerations regarding other bids? Was it designed to kill the negotiations, yet make it look like Boras was the bad faith guy in the proceedings? It's difficult to say but for a club that claims it HATES people talking to the press during negotiations, Henry's email sure seemed to counter that philosophical view.

Henry has lost a literal fortune in his family Hedge fund over the past 3 yrs...huge sums. Could it possibly be the case that his cash flow problems are beginning to effect the team? Most insiders suggest he played a huge part in the decision to send Manny packing last season. Is it possible that the man with previously unlimited patience for Manny's antics, became intolerant suddenly because of money? Is Henry blowing the Red Sox negotions this off season another ploy to save cash? I don't know but I do admit to becomming concerned.

The Red Sox are 1 stud hitter and 1 stud reliever away from being a legit World Series contender this season. The Yankees are NOT done yet...I expect them to nab Manny for a 3 yr $63 million deal soon. The Red Sox cannot go cheap at this critical time. If Teixiera can't be had-then do what it takes to trade for what we need. Sitting back and pretending we can win without strengthening our club, would be a foolish squandering of an opportunity. Our fans deserve and will insist on better from this ownership group. As bad as things may have been recently for John financially, how bad do you think things are going for the typical New Englander whose hard earned dollars supports the Red Sox?

We have the HIGHEST ticket prices in all of baseball. We enjoy HUGE T.V. revenues and advertising dollars. One can easily expect us to have the 2nd or 3rd highest team payroll in baseball. But even allowing for our successful youth movement to drive payroll down, I can see us with the 4th or 5th highest. If the goal is to compete with our significantly improved division rivals in the coming year, standing pat will not be an option. If not Teixiera......then we'll need to find another way to improve the team.

It's reasonable to assume that Ortiz, Lowell, Drew, and Youk will either individually or collectively miss significant parts of the coming season. We don't have the luxury of sitting back and hoping for a perfect season without injury. Not if we are truly committed to winning on 2009.

[/Quote]

Did you actually have something to say on this subject foxy? Or were you just going to hurl an insult without offering anything of substance? Also...was it you who killed this thread because you don't find the conversation to your liking? If so, shame on you for censoring ideas you oppose personally.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Lowell is going to miss almost all of spring training due to his hip. Papi is spooky with his wrist+had clicking this off season. Drew is coming off multiple herniated discs. Hello?! How can you not see our need for a stud hitter? The Yanks are NOT LAST YEARS YANKS. Pay attention! The Rays are stronger too. Yet you applaud our staggering into this season weaker than last. Truly amazing to me.

We're much stronger this year than last. I just don't think you understand enough about BB. Last year, we had two weak links in the BP and this year we replaced them with Ramirez and Saito. Last year, our #4/5 was Wake/Buchholz. This year it is Wake/Penny/Smoltz with Bowden and Buchholz as backups. Last year, we finished 2nd in scoring with injuries to Papi, Lowell and Drew. We'll finish in the top 3 in scoring again. This is the deepest team the Red sox have ever had.

If you think replacing Lowell's 20 HRs and .285 with 40 HRs and a .240, and then putting a butcher at 1st, losing defense at 3B, and losing some of Youk's offense, is going to net you any victories, then you're just plain wrong.

1-Why do you think no one else is pursuing him?

2-When you raised the question, were you aware of the fact that Dunn is telling teams he won't move to 1st? Why do you think that is?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BuschBound. Show BuschBound's posts

[Quote]Teakus, why bother using reality or the truth with the Theo Chicks?[/Quote]

Oh how cute......flawslav found another clingon!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from keepmanny7. Show keepmanny7's posts

he's got a point, teakus. he hasn't used reality or the truth, yet he seems pretty confident about his point of view.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from smiley-beni-2817. Show smiley-beni-2817's posts

[Quote]
    Teakus is the coward. Gutless little female. Dont respond to his childish thread. He is a yankee fan trying to convince us that he is a redsox fan. He is just a little sissy.
    [/Quote]Hey billy13, your reply is terrible.
    Mr.Teakus-2 doesn´t deserve these
    insults. Mr.Teakus-2, is great guy. I
    guess that you went to far with him.
    You owe him an apology....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from smiley-beni-2817. Show smiley-beni-2817's posts

Teakus is the coward. Gutless little female. Dont respond to his childish thread. He is a yankee fan trying to convince us that he is a redsox fan. He is just a little sissy.
    [/Quote]Hey billy13, your reply is terrible.
    Mr.Teakus-2 doesn´t deserve these
    insults. Mr.Teakus-2, is a great guy. I
    guess that you went to far with him.
    You owe him an apology....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[Quote]Teakus, why bother using reality or the truth with the Theo Chicks?[/Quote]

Finally, a tacit admission that Law and Teakus use neither reality nor truth.