1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Could the Pats Have Gotten More For Cassel?

Possibly...had they been more patient. But, BB must have some plans for free agents...and thereby needed immediate cap freedom. Otherwise, was he too hasty in dealing Cassel? Was he doing his buddy Pioli a favor? Was he concerned about making sure that Cassel, a kid he really liked, ended up in a "good situation"?

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_11809351.

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcappy. Show jcappy's posts

Or, BB owed Pioli the deal... there are hints in the media (ESPN a few minutes ago) that another team offered more.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobomul. Show bobomul's posts

Bill Belichick has never struck me as an overly sentimental fellow. Pro football is a business and Bill Belichick makes business decisions. I find it hard to believe he would not take the best offer on the table for Cassel.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seanblaze. Show seanblaze's posts

I guess you can say all of the above. not many teams could afford him, they gave cassell their word they would put him in a good situation, i think it was an honorable way to let vrable earn the rest of his contract. I was scratching my head as to way they could not get the chiefs 1st rounder, but i think the pats like 2nd rounders just the same bc of the drop off in salary & their ability to usually find a gem.

I always have a hard time understanding how the NFL values picks.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerh5. Show jerh5's posts

[Quote]Or, BB owed Pioli the deal... there are hints in the media (ESPN a few minutes ago) that another team offered more. [/Quote]Michael Smith reported that he heard from a "reliable source" that Denver offered a 1st round pick. If this is true, something is wacked.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

It was the best deal on the table right now, holding out on Cassel would have been a bad move, the freed up salary cap space allows the Pats the chance to make moves in the FA market while good talent is still left. I love the trade, the Pats can move all over the place in the draft and maybe they even trade one of their three 2nd rd picks. I expect this to be a very interesting offseason for Patriot Nation!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

I have no idea what Denver's offer was, but I can guarantee you that it had nothing to do with BB being "miffed" at Denver.

BB has been in the NFL long enough to know that free agents are free agents and Denver had every right in the world to sign Paxton and Gaffney, just as much as any other team in the league.

That being said, I highly, highly doubt that Denver offered the #12 pick straight up for Cassel. They have one of the brightest young quarterbacks in the league already.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerh5. Show jerh5's posts

[Quote]I have no idea what Denver's offer was, but I can guarantee you that it had nothing to do with BB being "miffed" at Denver.

BB has been in the NFL long enough to know that free agents are free agents and Denver had every right in the world to sign Paxton and Gaffney, just as much as any other team in the league.

That being said, I highly, highly doubt that Denver offered the #12 pick straight up for Cassel. They have one of the brightest young quarterbacks in the league already.[/Quote] Who is now demanding a trade, from the reports that I have heard. For him to be asking for a trade, Denver must have had some serious interest in Cassel.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JulesWinfield. Show JulesWinfield's posts

I'm not shocked at the fact the Pats got a 2nd rounder for Cassell and Vrable. The Pats know that Vrable's just about done, and it never really figured that they'd get a 1st rounder for Cassell. Reports of him being worth multiple 1st rounders were laughable.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from fabtrick. Show fabtrick's posts

The Denver Post reports they were trading Jay Cutler for Tampa Bay's first round pick, which is #19, and would have then traded THAT pick to the Pats for Cassel.

Still think it was the BEST deal? They settled for the 34th pick overall just so KC would take Vrabel and free up cap space.

The 19th pick might have gotten us something worthwhile - like say, a 2nd round pick this year AND next year.

Pioli was given a parting gift from Belechik, and Josh McDaniels got HOSED.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pierrepages. Show pierrepages's posts

How often do pats play chiefs next season ? and the broncos....? maybe BB went with lesser of 2 evils (chiefs are a worse team than the Broncos).... I believe that BB is concerned that Matt C cld be a dangerous QB to face next season..... Yours

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pierrepages. Show pierrepages's posts

How often do pats play chiefs next season ? and the broncos....? maybe BB went with lesser of 2 evils (chiefs are a worse team than the Broncos).... I believe that BB is concerned that Matt C cld be a dangerous QB to face next season..... Yours

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pierrepages. Show pierrepages's posts

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

quote -- "Michael Smith reported that he heard from a 'reliable source' that Denver offered a 1st round pick. If this is true, something is wacked. "

Saints preserve us from Michael Smith and the rest of the talking heads and their "reliable sources." The "reliable source" is the second cousin to the "unnamed source," who lives right next door to "anonymous reports." This is a way for journalists to pretend they know things they don't really know without risking any kind of criticism. "If I tell you who told me that it compromises my information pipeline."

How reliable am I supposed to believe the information is if you can't tell me where it came from?

I've said it before and I'll say it again -- Too many media outlets, not enough journalists.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from flasox. Show flasox's posts

[Quote]The Denver Post reports they were trading Jay Cutler for Tampa Bay's first round pick, which is #19, and would have then traded THAT pick to the Pats for Cassel.

Still think it was the BEST deal? They settled for the 34th pick overall just so KC would take Vrabel and free up cap space.

The 19th pick might have gotten us something worthwhile - like say, a 2nd round pick this year AND next year.

Pioli was given a parting gift from Belechik, and Josh McDaniels got HOSED.[/Quote]Correction
    The Denver Post reported that Tampa Bay suggested a three way trade involving Cutler which Denver rejected. The proposed deal of a first round pick was never offered to Belichick.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Denver did not offer its' 12th overall pick for Cassel. The rumor that was floating around was that Tampa Bay had approached Denver about a 3-way deal. It entailed that the Broncos would send Jay Cutler to Tampa for the Bucs' 19th overall pick. Denver would then trade the 19th overall pick acquired for Cutler to the Patriots for Matt Cassel.

With Josh McDaniels running the Broncos, that deal would make sense. Supposedly, one of the reasons why this deal didn't go down was because BB did not want to ship Cassel to a contender. Furthermore, BB supposedly pulled the trigger on the KC deal partially because he wanted to rid himself of Mike Vrabel's contract...which KC was willing to accept.
    (for more information on this - please see the article cited above in my initial post to this thread).

Nonetheless, I find it hard to believe that BB would accept the 34th overall pick over the 19th overall pick. To move up 15 spots in the draft, it would ordinarily cost a team a 2nd round pick.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrogLegs. Show FrogLegs's posts

C'mon, that 3-way deal doesn't make ANY sense for the Broncos!
    In the end they would have got Cassell (and its very high salary) for Cutler and nothing else? That's just a stupid rumor...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

McDaniels said the Broncos never EVER entertained the notion of trading Cutler. Not for Cassel. Not for anybody.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

That's because the majority of idiot fans always believe the last thing they hear.

If you're going to judge sentiment by reader comments, Matt Cassel is going to bring us a high first-round pick and two later-round picks and maybe even a tight end in the bargain, plus a lovely chocolate souffle and coupons redeemable at most Carmike Cinemas (some showhings restricted) and a clutch of multi-colored balloons plus a baby's arm holding an apple.

Did we get any of that?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidwa. Show davidwa's posts

I think it was a good trade for both teams & reasonable value for MC. That is if the Pats can land an OLB that can put pressure on QB's & one of the Pat's backup QB's can develop into a reliable option to fill in for TB if needed (& develop into a future starter hopefully years from now). I think BB would rather draft #34 rather than early in the draft so that Wilfork can get a contract extension & to have more $ to shop for FA's. let's keep in mind earlier picks cost a lot more & the Pats have multiple picks within the first two rounds. I think the future is bright for KC as well as for the Pats.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

-- And then McDaniels made a point of emphasis: "We don't want to trade Jay. We never did. He's our quarterback. We're excited about this season. And excited about what we're doing here in free agency to improve our team." --

Is there something unclear about this statement?

There never was any deal.

There never was any offer.

Go find something else to freak out over.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

http://blogs.tampabay.com/bucs/2009/02/were-bucs-invol.html

according to this it never went down,but they tried.it seems they were intreasted in cutler,but who knows.it does seem to make sence to see denver wanting cassel because he knows the system,but cutler isnt a bad qb.if this was true.the cheifs would have gotten a 1st rd pick for cassel.when they gave up a 2nd for cassel,and vrabel.so in that case we look like losers in the deal.but it was cutler the lions,and buc,s supposedly wanted.not cassel.so it wasnt like we could trade cassel to them.they didnt want him.so what we got was good,but a 4thrd pick next year would have seem better for vrabel.thats if any of this took place.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

to funny!