1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Dallas SS Roy Williams a Future Patriot?

Rumor has it that the Dallas Cowboys will be releasing SS Roy Williams. With Rodney Harrison's expected retirement, the Patriots are in need of an intimidator. Williams could be that guy. Remember how BB used Rodney Harrison against the Colts as a LB? Remember his preseason plans to use Tank Williams as a hybrid, prior to him suffering a season ending injury?

http://www.star-telegram.com/332/story/1225133.html

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I have to think that Roy, who is one of my faves, but as that article suggests a bit of a dinosaur, will be in Dallas or more of a commodity.

EVen if he were release you would have to think that some 4-3 team would take a crack at him at higher dollars than NE would want to go for a one down player.

I agree with the premise of the article though, I think we will see more <210lb SS players. It points to Rodney Harrison's decline as well. I think part of that is the change in the game. He is overmatched by TEs that are a s large but much faster, and is frequently late to the action these days.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bunchofpixels. Show bunchofpixels's posts

I'd rather get somebody that can actually stop someone in coverage, but it wouldnt surpise me.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from cincyscott. Show cincyscott's posts

Interesting thought. Patriots do need to get some intimidation back on
    defense which has been lacking of late. Isn't RW partly the reason they instituted the horse-collar tackle rule? He took out Watson last season or the season before that tackling him that way. I guess having him on your team is better than playing against him as long as he doesn't tackly that way in practice-LOL. I think there maybe just a much value (if not more) in the draft at this position plus they would have better coverage skills than RW. If anyone could resurrect his career and use him to the best of his abilities it is the Pats.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from txHeat. Show txHeat's posts

He's a huge liability in coverage but still has something left for defending the run. Btw...I'm just waiting for the Cowboys to implode even before training camp starts.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

I am not a fan of his Horse Collar tackles.....which means that he was chasing them from behind......

Harrison is not expected to retire...he is training for another season or 2....just maybe not with the Pats.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

"Roy couldn't cover a dollar check! He makes Earthwind Moreland look like an All Pro!!!!!"

HAHA...Almost as funny as it is true. Screw R. Williams.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

I don't know what the status od Dawan Landry is, but I'd take a healthy, young Landry over Roy Williams. I thought Night Train Lane was the reason the horse-collar was outlawed. I like Williams, however, an argument can be made that Hamelin is a better all round safety (eg: better in coverage). Tough call. Landry is not as big a name as Williams, but we have to wait and see what happens with the Ravens FAs.

Michael

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

No way Rodney plays for anyone but the Pats next season.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

roy williams would be great here,but the only problem is the pats have only 3.2 million in cap space to work with.i hope everyone will be enjoying the freeagency for all the other teams.for the pats are not gonna be doing hardly anything.i figured with the other 4-million we were sitting at 7 million under.john-i wouldnt mind landry also,but the pats have got to do something to create cap space.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

Moss,

Just curious, why do you think Williams would be great here?? I always thought he was highly overrated and a huge liability in coverage.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

I think people blow his coverage skills up more so then they should. I dont think he is that much of a liability.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlOFZob-yIk

For this ability.and he is only 28 yrs old.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

I still have no idea why anyone would even think that Tank Williams would be the answer? just because Belichick made up a few plays for this guy doesnt mean he was going to be the starter last year and if you look into you will see he has not been a starter in this league for a while now. Oh yea and he has had two major knee injuirys in the last 4 years. Tank is a great back up but he is not the answer.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/02/26/cowboys-trying-to-trade-the-original-roy-williams/

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harleyroadking111. Show Harleyroadking111's posts

Dallas is in such a state of disarray and confusion Roy Williams/offense sometimes plays defense and Roy Williams/defense sometimes plays offense and vise versa...or is that verse visa...whatever?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[Quote]I think people blow his coverage skills up more so then they should. I dont think he is that much of a liability.[/Quote]

MVP:

With the right coaching, I agree that Williams' coverage limitations won't be so great a liability. He'll get the right coaching if he comes to the Patriots. Hes' the intimador that their rather sedate defense needs.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from munichpatsfan. Show munichpatsfan's posts

Jim Leonhard anyone?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[Quote]Jim Leonhard anyone?[/Quote]

He'd likely be too expensive for BB's taste.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[Quote]With the uncertainty over Rodney's future and with James Sanders set to become a free agent, the Pats may be thin in the safety position. I hope Merriweather and Tank Williams can step up, but I think the Pats may need to bolster the position.[/Quote]

Exactly. At the right price, Williams seems like a great fit.

But, more than that...the Patriots have no one on thir defense that othr teams' fear. Theres' no Ray Lewis, no Troy Polamalu or Ryan Clark, no Brian Dawkins. They need an intimidator.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Heres' more on Roy Williams:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt
    /football/cowboys/stories/022709dnspotaylorcol.2bd71f7.html

The intriguing question is whether his play fell off because hes' become a born-again Christian, the scheme he played in, or the quality of the coaching he was receiving? My guess is that its' the later. He could be the second coming of Rodney Harrison in New England.

Incidently, for those of you who are Matthew Stafford and Mark Sanchez fans, browse over the list of the top players taken in the 2002 draft (bottom of the above cited article). Both #1 overall pick David Carr and #3 overall pick Joey Harrington were arguably better college QBs, and prospects, than Stafford and Sanchez.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Haha, I saw that list. There were all sorts of "?'s" about those guys too.

Like I said, for the lonest time I considered RW one of the must haves. But I just look and think that he would get smoked in the playoffs against the type of recieving atheletes we see now.

Gates, Wayne, etc.

When NE has Rodney they also had Law and Poole, two corners who were better than anyone on the roster right now. So it was much easier to run cover-1 style, and leave Rodney as a free agent who can be the "terminator" as it were.

I think in this defense, as it is constituted, RW (and it pains me to say this) would be a liability.

I would love for it to be so. He is fairly young. And maybe his value is in the trenches. But they are cutting him for a reason. He has lost a step, and wasn't anything more than adequate in coverage before that.

If he comes cheap, dirt cheap, he could be good. But he isn't Troy Polomalu, much less Ed Reed. They are smaller, more athletic, and gifted all arounders. Williams (at this point) is a running down hit man.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bchan89. Show bchan89's posts

roy williams sucks, the only thing he has done in the nfl is to get a rule named after him, i would rather watch sanders and merriwether

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bchan89. Show bchan89's posts

if dawkins is a fee agent would much reather have him as a saftey, i know he will cost alot more than roy williams but you always go with the best player

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

It looks like Roy Williams will soon be released: http://www.star-telegram.com/332/story/1228552.html