1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeflonPete. Show TeflonPete's posts

Dem Yanks

Here is the message you are replying to:Message #á43504.1041Posted byáCTChrisáoná10:50 AMNice Duncan. from Abraham's blog...WE HAVE A BRAWLShelley Duncan (of course) started the top of the second with a single. He tried to go to second as the ball rolled behind third base and was out by five feet. Duncan slid in with his spikes exceedingly high at Akinori Iwamura and was tagged out. He was immediately ejected.Tampa Bay right fielder Jonny Gomes raced over and tackled Duncan and the benches cleared. There didnÆt seem to be any punches thrown.Gomes has been ejected as well. So were Bobby Meacham and Kevin Long.I would think Duncan would get suspended for what he did. It was pretty blatant.
    I haven't caught up with the rest of the thread, but I can't wait to see what TWM has to say

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeflonPete. Show TeflonPete's posts

Dem Yanks

Message #á43504.1049Posted byáyankee_divaáoná10:57 AMI hate to say this but if Maddon hasn't started all this, this wouldn't have happened. I don't think Girardi would have told Duncan to so this. I think Duncan is enough of a hot head to do this on his own. And he should be suspended. But Maddon has to live with this. He wanted to play like it was during the season then he has to expect paybacks. Because that is exactly what would have happened during the season.
    áfunny - I was just thinking that if only Joe had told his guys not to block the plate in ST, we wouldn't be in this mess......................á

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeflonPete. Show TeflonPete's posts

Dem Yanks

Posted byáyankee_divaáoná11:49 AMTony, it is Maddon's fault. He wanted to play ST games like regular season games. That play TB made would have been retaliated against in regular season. Instead it was now. He wanted it....he got it.
    áso was it smart for the Yankees to do?á a new brand of tough, agressive baseball, or was it poor judgement on their part?áand if TB really thought themselves blameless in the first incident, can they be expected to retaliate..........................áif this thing keeps going, it's start to look like Hillary and Barak....................

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pemliza. Show pemliza's posts

Dem Yanks

Nice photos Vic.á When they said that his spikes were high, I'm thinking like mid-calf....not that high.á I would think that could have been potentially very painful.á

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac28. Show pinstripezac28's posts

Dem Yanks

I hope this is the end of it

even though no punches were thrown, why tackle Duncan from behind?á

I think you know why, vic
    I just dont want this to become a distraction during the season.....

MOVE ONácareful Vicyou sound like a certain mgr who got fired after making the PO 10 yrs in a row

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yankee-diva. Show yankee-diva's posts

Dem Yanks

Why is that a low comment?/áá He's wishing for exactly what you are hoping for when you say "You're glad the yanks are sticking up for themselves"á From 95% of the reports I have heard the Duncan play was a DIRTY play.á Is that what you advocate, Just to get even for the play at homeplate? In case you missed it I also said Duncan should be suspended. And if he is that should be the end of it. For the record out of this whole deal we still end up with a player out for 8-10 weeks and probably a suspended player to start out the year. The Drays will end up with nothing. That should be the end of it though. Enough is enough. I am glad though that the yankees are showing more fire and sticking up for themselves. As a team they need that. But I don't think anyone should get seriously hurt and I do think that Duncan should pay the price. Maddon is the one who wanted this ST to be hardball. Not the yankees. So he is reaping what he sows.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from yankee-diva. Show yankee-diva's posts

Dem Yanks

Diva certainly rates higher than a D!!!áIn my mind, she's at least a double DLOL you have quite the imagination Pete.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac28. Show pinstripezac28's posts

Dem Yanks

Posted byáB_moreSawxFanáá ''á This whole thing is so stupid. agreedGirardi being a catcher should know the drill. actually, from the comments I have read or heard the breakdown is just the opposite of what you saidthe ex catchers tend to agree with little joe and the rest as well as you and me disagreeáThe wrist injury was unfortunate but don't people get hurt every year during the NFL preseason playing the game atá full tilt trying to score a big-time contract?NFL ?áá who cares about the NFLáIt's not like he flung his elbow at the catcher's crotch like A-Rod did last year to Pedroia sliding into second(now that is a cheap shot).áIáthink l your commentáwas more of ácheap shot, ááááátell dusty to grow a full size leg if he doesn't like it

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from yankee-diva. Show yankee-diva's posts

Dem Yanks

so was it smart for the Yankees to do?á a new brand of tough, agressive baseball, or was it poor judgement on their part?áand if TB really thought themselves blameless in the first incident, can they be expected to retaliate..........................áif this thing keeps going, it's start to look like Hillary and Barak....................ááI was hoping nothing would be done to tell the truth. I don't want to see any of our players hurt. But I think this will be a different team then in years past. The yankees under Torre never retaliated for anything and it was like they had targets on their backs. It got ridiculous. Our hitters were being constantly hit. I really hope this is the end of this one though.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from yankee-diva. Show yankee-diva's posts

Dem Yanks

LOL Chris........but they are right. That is way to high to pass off as innocent. I expect a suspension.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jfromthebronx. Show jfromthebronx's posts

Dem Yanks

As a sox fan I think it is great and I hope a rays player goes in with high spikes at Jeter and cano.á That statement is no different than me saying I hope the Sox plane to Japan ends upálike Amelia Earhartsáplane.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jfromthebronx. Show jfromthebronx's posts

Dem Yanks

Joey, you are right, he's hoping 1 or 2 guys might get hurt, whereas I'll shoot for the whole team.áBTW, I do not hope for that to happen, and I think most of the intelligent life on this board knows that.á

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Dem Yanks

I am the biggest Yankee fan but this was not a good sign today. First the plunking and the slide was out of line. Way too high. I understand that Girardi is trying to put his stamp on the team, but this was not the way. You want payback; you beat the crap out of them during the year.

Girardi cannot afford to send out the wrong message, there are too many kids on the team. Protect your own, fine. Get stupid doing it, not good.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from yankee-diva. Show yankee-diva's posts

Dem Yanks

The thing you are all forgetting is when Johnson made that play to knock out Cervelli it was the 9th inning. The rays were already ahead. He could have just as easily slid in feet first. In fact the yankees had done it earlier that game. Instead he put his head down and used his shoulders to knock out Cervelli. He didn't have to do that. If ST games mean nothing then they were already winning. It was a play that didn't have to be made that way but he did. No, it isn't dirty. But it could have been done differently. The rays would have stilláhave wonáand the yankees wouldn't be out a catcher in the process.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeflonPete. Show TeflonPete's posts

Dem Yanks

That should be the end of it though. Enough is enough. dream on I'm afraid.á The Rays will feel they did nothing wrong in the first instance, that they were unjustly attacked, and they now owe the Yankess one.The trick will be to retaliate in a game when Joba isn't going to pitch.............

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeflonPete. Show TeflonPete's posts

Dem Yanks

Yankee justice is served.áááááááááááááááááááááááááááááá áHe clearly misremembered how to slideáI don't think the Rays will buy thatáneither will they buy the fact that they are even.á In their minds, it will be 1 clean, hard play with an unfortuate result for them, 1 dirty play on the Yanks part, and a debt that must be paiddon't go blaming Madden if Cano gets taken out a little late in May..........................

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac28. Show pinstripezac28's posts

Dem Yanks

á.
    I haven't caught up with the rest of the thread, but I can't wait to see what TWM has to sayáI bet you can't wait to see what huggable hank has áto sayáme not so much, I can wait :-(

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeflonPete. Show TeflonPete's posts

Dem Yanks

Posted byáThatWasMeáoná3:16 PMIt's ok to to run over our catcher breaking his wrist in ST, but when our player goes into second spikes high in st that's wrong.If Blood and Guts Maddon wants to play this game, it's going to be a long season for Tampa because the Yankees are not the only team that will not stand for it.áTWMI know you're so stubborn, that you'll never change your mind, so I guess I'm just doing this for my own entertainment, but you're completely wrong on this onewhile it is unfortunate that your catcher got injured in a contact play at the plate, the play was only unusual in that it's rare to see in ST, but it is none the less a staple of the game.What Duncan did was purely retaliatory - don't pretend he was trying to break up the double play (actually he was trying to turn a single into a double - no need to try and take out the fielder in that situation)á- people do that all the time without spikes to the groin - he went in spikes high to get the guy and he's probably only sad that he didn't draw blood....................one play was clean & unfortunate, the other was dirty...............the Rays will be heard from again on this...................I've read all your comments on why it was Madden's fault - they just don't amount to much of anythingso we'll disagree on this without being disagreeable, as I know you won't budge an inch, you crusty old fart............................áá

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeflonPete. Show TeflonPete's posts

Dem Yanks

Diva

It's pretty simple

one play was clean and agressive, clearly a routine part of them game.

one was pure retaliation and a dirty play

you and TWM are smart enough to know which is which

and stubborn enough not to admit it

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jfromthebronx. Show jfromthebronx's posts

Dem Yanks

i beleive Boston had a few rifts with TB as well.Iáwonder if maybe Maddon is comparing Duncan's slide to Tavarez jumping up and sucker punching Gathwright a few years back. Of course,around here áthat was acceptable because Tavarez wears a B on his hat.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeflonPete. Show TeflonPete's posts

Dem Yanks

Message #á43504.1141Posted byáThatWasMeáoná4:36 PMI hope you feel much better Pete after venting, I know I do after today's events.The Rays 2nd baseman has a few scratches in his leg, he'll play tomorrow, Cervelli is in a cast for ten weeks.Duncan can play on my teamáany day.áI have no dog in that hunt - except for this - I will be thrilled if the Rays get way more pumped about playing you guys than they do about playing us - if they find anybody to get some outs in the bullpen, that team could be a big headache this year...........\I have no problem with Duncan either, I think this was a one time thing, he's a young kid, and he knows how to make points with the manager.á when you look up and down that bench, if somebody is going to be Dave Schultz, he'd be my choiceá

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeflonPete. Show TeflonPete's posts

Dem Yanks

Posted byájfromthebronxáoná4:40 PMi beleive Boston had a few rifts with TB as well.Iáwonder if maybe Maddon is comparing Duncan's slide to Tavarez jumping up and sucker punching Gathwright a few years back. Of course,around here áthat was acceptable because Tavarez wears a B on his hat. áNonsense - he was a whack job before we got him, he's still a whack job, he'l always be a whack job.á What he did to Gathwright was really bad, and he got what he deserved.I don't recall anyone applauding what he did, ala Duncan...................I'd swap you Tavarez for Farnsworth in a heartbeat......................

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Dem Yanks

GM Chris..great reads...while iáfeel the spikes were a bit too high, i think "borderline criminal" is a bit much no?...and looking at the replay.he barely moved the guy anyway..

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Dem Yanks

GM TWM...it was no more than a shove...but it could have been worse had it led to punches..i think youáknow some are going to see what Gomes did the lesser of the the incidents..

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from yankee-diva. Show yankee-diva's posts

Dem Yanks

Diva

It's pretty simple

one play was clean and agressive, clearly a routine part of them game.

one was pure retaliation and a dirty play

you and TWM are smart enough to know which is which

and stubborn enough not to admit it

As I said before Pete...........and am saying again. I expect Duncan to be suspended for that play. But I do see why he did it.