1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonDotCom. Show BostonDotCom's posts

Dice-K the Game 2 starter

Daisuke Matsuzaka on Monday was named the starter for Game 2 of the ALDS. Is this the right chice? Or should Curt Schilling have gotten the nod?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from egomaniac. Show egomaniac's posts

Definitely the right move. Dice-K has been the teams second best pitcher and will be pitching with a week's rest. I believe he has a sub-3.00 ERA with more than 6 days rest so he should be primed to have a great start especially against a team that's never faced him before.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyguy756. Show nyguy756's posts

Hasn't he been better on the road? His ERA is almost a full run lower.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan84. Show redsoxfan84's posts

It makes me wonder why Schilling didn't make the start yesterday? That means he will be pitching with almost 2 weeks between starts. I just don't think that very smart...it's like the first start of the DL.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from centerminded. Show centerminded's posts

It's a good move. You have a better chance of Beckett and Dice-K going deeper into the games thereby not taxing the bullpen. Let's face it, I like Schilling a lot. He has done some great things for this team, but for the most part he is now a 5-6 inning pitcher who can dominate those innings but after that the wheels can come off at any second. That being said as long as Dice-K does not walk the ballpark I think he gives us a better chance.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonsportsfanofNC12. Show BostonsportsfanofNC12's posts

I believe that with either pitching it could be the right move. They both have different reasons why they would be better in that game than the other. I for one though am hoping that they give Wake a chance to start in the ALCS (if they make it) because he has done really good this year, and deserves a start in the playoffs.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxfanwest. Show soxfanwest's posts

I think it's a good move, for the basic reason in the initial announcement. The Angels have not seen Dice-K at all. A lot will also will depend on who's calling balls and strikes.

The walks will kill you every time!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kman22. Show kman22's posts

Maybe it has something to do with Schilling starting in a road game? And Dice-K is a rookie, but he's pitched in some pretty huge spots before.

Try to pay attention to why things might be happening and you might not find yourself saying such stupid comments

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Culo-Grande. Show Culo-Grande's posts

Dice K = too many walks

Schilling = very few walks over last 4 starts

Angels + Walks + small ball Soccia = lots of early unearned runs.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hollywood. Show hollywood's posts

i think the question is who you would rather face the rally monkey and those annoying sticks in anaheim. schilling is used to that. it wont bother him. he has won there before. dice-k is a more emotional pitcher and will benefit from the home field advantage. extra rest seems to benefit both pitchers.

so i think he made the right move...i think we are done wtih anaheim in three. i hope we can save beckett to start off in the alcs.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyajhk. Show nyajhk's posts

It's an interesting move. I think it probably is the right move. If Dice is wild and has control issues where he puts a few guys on base the smaller ball park (Fenway) could work in his favor. It does limit running teams ability to go from 1st to 3rd. However, Dice K's ERA is significantly lower on the road. He will be pitching on plenty of rest and should have his best stuff.

Remember Dice-K has never faced the Angels before so if he gets off to a strong start it is possible that he could already be through 3 innings before a single player in the Angels lineup has seen him more than once. I like the move it probably does make better sense to pitch Schill in the warmer weather at this point in his career. Yes he is a proven playoff performer. Remember Dice K has plenty of big game experience in both his career in Japan and in the World Baseball Classic. He has pitched under pressure before and has delievered. Nobody is talking about him going out and throwing a no hitter. The Red Sox need 6-7 strong innings out of Dice K. What that means is he needs to minimize the walks keep hitters off balance by mixing in the off speed stuff with the heater and remember he isn't going to keep the Angels off the bases entirely and he probably won't keep them off the scoreboard. 2-3 earned over 6-7 innings would be a great start for Dice and more than enough for his offense to get him the win. I like the move.

GO SOX GO!!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan84. Show redsoxfan84's posts

Dice-K was going to pitch game 2 or 3, you are right, but the reason it matters is he is slated now to pitch game 5 if necessary...I'd feel better knowing Schilling was in line for that start.

All in all, the Sox are in the playoffs and it is great to be able to even discuss this issue!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 69legal. Show 69legal's posts

"the redsox management has done it again. WHAT ON EARTH ARE THEY SMOKING? don'tget me wrong. i like dice-K.. but to pass over a proven pitcher in postseason for a rookie is simply bloody preposterous... "

You got it right. It makes no sense to take a chance on Dice-K over a GUARANTEED post-season win from Schilling. The risk of Dice-K giving up a 5-run inning leading to the exhaustion of the bullpen as early as Game 2 is too high. The only risk with Schilling is that Vlad beats him for 1 or 2 solo shots. THEY ARE SMOKING SOME GOOD STUFF!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ladybug. Show ladybug's posts

Who Care which game dice-k starts. If beckett doesn't win game one they're done.........

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigfoot14b. Show bigfoot14b's posts

Good point, but it also means that we only get to use Schilling once in the first round. By starting game 2, Matsuzaka is the default pitcher for game 5. Not sure I like that.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kman22. Show kman22's posts

Baseball nerd? REALLY? That's clever. Your the guy bringing up myths like "seasonal" player, whatever the heck that means. Look starting Dice-k in friendly Fenway is the smartest thing for him, especially considering his struggles aside from his last start. Schilling isn't going to be effected by crowd noise and can go into Anaheim and pitch well. Could Dice-k? probably, but I would prefer a guy that has proven it on the road in the playoffs over a guy who is a "rookie" (your words not mine)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from yazfan64. Show yazfan64's posts

Dk will do fine with the added rest and Schill will handle the hostile environment in LA. Bullpen is fairly rested as is the rotation. Wake and Lester for long relief Steady Timlin,Okie,Manny,Lopez setting the table. If Gagne pitches to his strengths Pap will come in and slam the door! Look for Schill to have bigtime innings. Mr.Beckett, this is where legends are made. Dk is a big game pitcher looking to show the world . This could really be fun! Manny and the Boys are due!I can't wait!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lnmonster. Show lnmonster's posts

prediction....sox beat angels and yankees sweep indians. Then yankees will either sweep sox or it will turn into another 2003 fiasco leaving all sox fans with yet another bitter taste

More than most other major sports, baseball is a game of inches and large standard deviations. The Yankees are clearly the best team in the AL, but a 5-game or 7-game series is WAY too short for such certainty. Anything can happen, and although your prediction is very plausible, it is less likely but still conceivable that Sebathia, Carmona and Byrd will all bring their A-games to the ALDS and the Yankees will be eliminated in 3 games.