1. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeyama99. Show joeyama99's posts

Do you agree with Epstein's philosophy?

This topic has been discussed for months.� One point you don�t mention is that Santana wanted a contract well over 100 mil and got it.� Also, this was before Schilling�s injury.� I say give Lester and Bucholtz a chance.� It`s only April.� Pedroia was hitting .120 or something for APril last year and ended up ROY.� If LEster and Bucholtz are pitching like young studs by August you may change your mind.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from slikrick04. Show slikrick04's posts

I'm pretty sure that Theo has his scouts watching particular starters in both leagues, and if he decides that the team needs another solid starter�within�the next�three months, he will make a trade and get him in to the rotation. If the rotation settles in, then he'll look at the middle relief; either way, I'm pretty certain that he is on top of things.�������� Trust in the man, who has gotten us two WS, and enjoy the games. The Sox are really starting to hit their stride and hopefully get a commanding lead in the division. �������� GO SOX!!!!!�������� Go Celts!!!�������� Go Bruins!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from quint869. Show quint869's posts

Beckett was entering his prime, Santana is probably leaving it

Santana required a long term big money deal, Beckett had 2 years controlled.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ruggie23. Show ruggie23's posts

Beckett was entering his prime, Santana is probably leaving it

Santana is 29 Far from leaving his prime....according to your philosophy Becket has 2 more years in his prime!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

Forget the exact details, but certain aspects of pitching peak at a very young age.� Velocity, strikeout rate, and health all peak around the age of 25 on average.� On the other hand, pitchers tend to improve their command throughout their careers.

Ultimately, the only thing I know about predicting pitching is that I ought not to even try.� Nobody else seems able to do any better, especially when you consider some of the disasterous deals given to free agents around the league.� Makes me very leery about giving 6+ year deals to any pitcher.� About the only ones I've ever LIKED were the Pedro Martinez deal (the option years helped improve the risk/benefit ratio) and the Matsuzaka deal (needed to amortize the posting fee over as many years as possible).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

Barring injuries Santana should have 5+ good years left.

Easily!� Barring injuries, there's no reason he can't pitch until he's 40.� Unfortunately pitching injuries are very common.� In his youth, Santana had a couple problems with his elbow.� A torn muscle that required surgical repair, then bone chips.� My guess is that the fact that he's had a couple elbow injuries in the past make it more likely that he will suffer further injuries in the future, but I don't have any evidence to support that assertion.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeyama99. Show joeyama99's posts

Thirty,I'd have to disagree with your point of pitchers reaching their peak around 25.� �Most sabremetricians believe pitchers peak later than hitters.� Bill James and others believe a pitcher's peak is around 31 yrs old.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

I'd have to disagree with your point of pitchers reaching their peakaround 25.� �Most sabremetricians believe pitchers peak later thanhitters.

Bill James sometimes flies by the seat of his pants...� I'm not offering opinion on this, I'm reporting (albeit from memory) sabermetric studies.� Read what BPro has done on this matter in the last couple years?

Note also that I was commenting on "physical peak", trying to use specific language.� That comes earlier than a pitcher's peak effectiveness, since (for a while) the improving command often makes up for any small declines in "stuff".� Check out Halladay's career and you will see two distinct phases.� He threw hard and had a lot of strikeouts early on, then mastered his command around 2003.� (Discount 2004 due to injury.)� His two best seasons came during the period that his high-K rate overlapped with his improved control, in 2003-2005.� While he remains a very good pitcher today, he isn't QUITE as dominant as he was in those years due to his declining stuff.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

"Not the way Santana has started down in the JV."In 27 2/3 IP, he's allowed 20 hits while striking out 28 and walking 4.� A K/BB ratio of 7 doesn't impress?� (Though 5 HRs is a bit high)Let's not forget, Santana has always been a stronger pitcher in the second half of the season.I think the Sox were probably smart not to go overboard and give in to all the Twins' demands, and on top of that tie up enough money to feed the Balkans for a year, all for just one pitcher.� But let's not pretend he is underperforming, either...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeyama99. Show joeyama99's posts

Thirty,Thanks for the clarification.� Physical Peak and Pitching Effectiveness Peak are distinct.� I suppose though when you�re signing a big time free agent pitcher, getting him for his peak effectiveness is most important.� A young promising pitcher can develop with one club, and be most effective with the one he signs with when FA eligble.� I think we�re seeing that with Beckett, but for less money than Santana commanded

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

I think we�re seeing that with Beckett, but for less money than Santana commanded

Beckett was four years younger when we got him.� That helps. :-)

We paid a pretty hefty price in talent, a ROTY/MVP player.� Not that I have any regrets...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Might want to take a look at numbers. Santana was 15 -13 last year and gave up 30+ hr's last year, not exactly his best year. This year 2-2 in a weaker NL with 5 hr's given up [3 in one game] not exactly lighting up NL as many predicted. But right now I'm glad RS didn't make the trade. He could still turn it around and be lights out rest of year, but from what I've seen so far it could be true that he's already peaked as a pitcher. Who knows maybe he got his birth certificate the same place a lot of these latin guys do and in really 31.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack. Show fenwayjack's posts

And Becket didn't cost a fortune.� Make no mistake, the rediculous salary and number of years Santana demanded had a lot to do with both Epstein and Cashman not jumping at the chance to sign him.�

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from gibsonsg. Show gibsonsg's posts

Bottom line: Theo has 2 more WS rings than all other Red Sox GM's over the last 90 years... combined. How can�anyone seriously question him? With any luck, we'll have him at the helm for the next 30 years.