1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonDotCom. Show BostonDotCom's posts

Do you like the Sox' chances in the postseason?

With the Sox having wrapped up a postseason spot, it's time to start thinking about October. What do you think the team's chances are against the likes of the Angels, their likely ALDS opponent? Do you think this Red Sox team is built to win another World Series?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dehud. Show dehud's posts

Clearly, they cannot be favored against any of the other likely play-off teams except maybe Chicago. Why not Dice-K to start in LA. He hasn't lost on the road.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from twohitter1. Show twohitter1's posts

Yes. The Sox have as much pitching depth - both starting and bullpen - as any team in the playoffs. If Josh performs at his usual playoff level, I like our chances. I'm concerned about overall team health (Lowell, Drew), but I'm encouraged by others stepping up.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from marstan. Show marstan's posts

AS LONG AS WE HAVE GOOD FRONT LINE PITCHING, THERE'S A
    CHANCE. WITH LESTER, BECKETT, AND DICE K WE HAVE AS GOOD
    A 1-2-3 AS ANY TEAM,INCLUDING THE ANGELS. LACKEY AND
    SANTANA HAVE BEEN BEATEN THIS YEAR....IT'S NOT LIKE THEY'RE
    EACH 24-1. WE HAVE BEEN DOWN THIS ROAD BEFORE AND WE
    CAN GO TO LA WITH OPTIMISM. THAT BEING SAID.....I DO NOT
    LIKE OUR LINEUP. GRANTED THAT ELLSBURY AND CRISP ARE
    PULLING THEIR WEIGHT NOW, WE MUST BE CONCERNED WITH
    VARITEK AND LOWRIE WHO ARE BASICALLY AUTOMATIC OUTS.
    I DO NOT KNOW HOW TO SOLVE THE LOWRIE DILEMMA. ALL OFA
    SUDDEN HE LOOKS FROZEN AT THE PLATE AND CANNOT EVEN
    MAKE CONTACT. MAGADAN SHOULD BE CONCERNED WITH THIS.
    WE WILL MISS MANNY'S BAT. KOTSAY IS NOT ANSWER IN RF.
    IF LOWELL CAN RETURN, WHICH IS A ?. WE HAVE A CHANCE IF
    THE PITCHING HOLDS UP.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PSFever. Show PSFever's posts

A lot of things have to fall in place for us to win in the PS. Most important is to get everyone healthy enough to participate. We have the depth to take out the Angels but the pitching has to be on top of their game from the starters through the pen.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50Otis. Show 50Otis's posts

I wish I could be more optimistic, but too many poor performances by starters as well as an off Okie and Pap don't bode well.

Add to that Lowell and Drew injuries and a HORRID catching tandem and you get too many hole in the lineup to plug easily.

Still, no team is a runaway this year so ... GO SOX!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Sure, more bucks for the ownership, and bigger contracts for the prima-donnas. A chance to spray more champagne, raise ticket prices and the cost of a dog & beer!! That's what the baseball business is all about, MONEY and as much as they can grab!!

Does the phrase 'live and let live' mean anything to you? Why are you so concerned about how I spend my entertainment money? I don't care you spend yours.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bmierz. Show bmierz's posts

Health ,good pitching(starting and relief) and timely hitting all need to fall into place for a long playoff run.... the path to the Series goes thru Anaheim and then thru Tampa... I think a short series with Anaheim is to our advantage with Beckett, Lester and Dice-K ... at least we have a chance to repeat...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Back on topic, it's all on Beckett. Lester and Dice have been great, but if you to succeed in the POs, you need 3 good SPs. If we see the vintage Beckett, we're as good as anyone. If we don't see the vintage Beckett, then we'll need a lot of effort from everyone.

It's possible that just a mediocre Beckett might suffice if we see a vintage Papi. He's starting to drive the ball a bit, but inconsistently.

I'd like to see Drew back, since more is better, but as well as Crisp and Ellsbury have been playing, we could live without him.

OTOH, Lowell could be a problem. Moving Youk to 3rd and Casey to 1st is a big downgrade defensively and a fair downgrade offensively. that's a big hole. And moving Lowrie to 3rd and Cora to SS isn't really any better a solution either. Fortunately, he is modestly healthier than Drew and should make at least some contribution.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

If the Sox play the Angels, it will be Beckett, Lester and then Dice-k at home. The Sox know how to win in the post season and that might carry them even as road dogs. Wake goes game 4 and Beckett game 5. Anyway you slice it, I'm going to enjoy!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Comet. Show Comet's posts

The playoffs are all about pitching and the Sox have the pitching...Let Wakefield start one of the games and if we advance and do well, fine...If Wakefield does poorly and we advance, then go to Byrd. The team that we put on the field now is only capable of scoring about an average of 3 to 4 runs a game and good pitching will knock them on their heels...If Lowell gets back...we need his clutch hitting and great fielding...How can Drew help after being out so long?...Too bad because he was having a nice year..Look back on his career, he is always hurt and misses a lot of games. Right now I can't see the Sox getting by both the Angels and the Rays with their current line up...With a healthy Lowell, Drew and Manny they could have done it...What a jerk Manny turned out to be...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazedmonkey. Show crazedmonkey's posts

It's moot to talk about TB or World Series, only the Angels count here. 1 round at a time. Despite Angels having better hitting than the past, it all comes down to pitching and all of their pitchers are beatable. The biggest question will come to middle of bullpen - if Okajima, Masterson, Delcarmen can come through and hold leads (the Sox will have leads late), then the Sox can advance. That is key to it all. And having a short series allows the starters to determine who advances, not necessarily the overall better team, so a rotation of Beckett, Dice-K and Lester can trump the Angels.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ojabog. Show ojabog's posts

Its all about who steps up. Always is. Does Ellsbury repeat his performance from 07, does Bay become a post-season icon? Just getting to the post season this year with all the injuries and other garbage is amazing to me. Win or loose I'm proud of the effort this team put out. They have enough horses to will it all though.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from billywalsh. Show billywalsh's posts

Agreed Joe. It's a capitalistic society but also a free country, Pig is not being forced to attend any baseball games or pay for a dog and beer.
    To Pig: if you did well at your job and won an award or something similar, wouldn't you want a raise or bonus? It's all relative.

And, YES, GO SOX!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

[Quote]why is it that the Sox can never win the division? without the wildcard the sox would never be in the playoffs[/Quote]

Dude, you need to look all the way back to LAST YEAR for the last time the Sox won the division. What is the point anyway? In 2004, they won the Wild Card. Please enlighten me!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boston-Heather. Show Boston-Heather's posts

Spider 97..[Quote]why is it that the Sox can never win the division? without the wildcard the sox would never be in the playoffs[/Quote]

dude...the sox won the division last year (Yankees were the wild card winner).

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

THEY WILL NEED TO GET THEIR HEALTH BACK AND THEN GET H O T..... THATS IT, THE 2 H'S........ AS MY DAD USED TO SAY , " SON, ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN IN A SHORT SERIES "......... GO SOX !!!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmm21. Show gmm21's posts

Do you like the Sox' chances in the postseason? NO & wish my confidence was highwer but I just do not see it this year so if I am right, go Cubs....